The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Okay, ill informed question.

What is the deadline for Republicans who want to run against Trump?  If anyone sane person runs against him (Weld,etc.) I'm just as likely to vote in the Repub. primary as the Dem.

I like what I've heard from Weld.  He seems reasonable and sane.  

But in today's Republican party, I can't imagine any thoughtful, reasoned person interested in effectively governing could break 5% within the GOP of the deep south and the yeehaw rectangular states.  They don't want safe bridges, highly educated citizens, and affordable healthcare.  They want to systematically destroy each branch of government, and once they're all destroyed, they want to step back and reaffirm to one another that they TOLD YOU THAT ALL GOVERNMENT IS BAD!!

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/former-hays-county-gop-leader-arrested-for-aggravated-sexual-assault-of-a-child/269-6faa0178-71c3-4d87-b001-160b05a11775
Hayes Co GOP official diddling kids.  Maybe he can still be on be on the Supreme Court.  Or even Senator!

Come on dude. It’s no obstacle to any office. He’s White House bound.

Here you go, you hardcore GOP bitches.  This is the party and it's representatives you support.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/paulmcleod/republicans-warn-drug-companies-oversight-investigation

In an unusual move, House Republicans are warning drug companies against complying with a House investigation into drug prices.

Republicans on the House Oversight Committee sent letters to a dozen CEOs of major drug companies warning that information they provide to the committee could be leaked to the public by Democratic chair Elijah Cummings in an effort to tank their stock prices.

Cummings requested information from 12 drug companies such as Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson, and Novartis AG in January as part of a broad investigation into how the industry sets prescription drug prices.

In their letters, Reps. Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows — leaders of the hardline conservative House Freedom Caucus — imply that Cummings may be attempting to collect the information in order to bring down the industry’s stock prices.

They write that Cummings is seeking sensitive information “that would likely harm the competitiveness of your company if disclosed publicly.” They then accuse Cummings of “releasing cherry-picked excerpts from a highly sensitive closed-door interview” conducted in an investigation into White House security clearances. “This is not the first time he has released sensitive information unilaterally,” says the letter. The authors say they “feel obliged to alert” the drug companies of Cummings’ actions.

Democrats expressed bafflement at the letters. While politicians routinely spar over committee work, warning companies not to comply with an investigation is unconventional — perhaps even unprecedented, Democrats say.

Spoiler

“Rep. Jordan is on the absolute wrong side here,” Cummings said in an emailed statement to BuzzFeed News. “He would rather protect drug company ‘stock prices’ than the interests of the American people.”

In their letter, Jordan and Meadows say that “while we cannot speculate about Chairman Cummings’ motives,” the committee should not pursue an investigation designed to impact stock prices.

This hinges on a quote from Cummings saying he has three staffers he calls “the drug team” who work on the high cost of drugs and that their work has lowered drug company stocks.

The quote omits the full context of Cummings’ remarks. At the time he was appearing before the Committee on House Administration seeking an increase in funding for his committee. (Jordan, as the ranking Oversight Republican, objected to a funding increase.)

The letter quotes Cummings as saying of his drug team: “If you follow the headlines, we have already seen the impact they have had… on stock prices with regard to drugs. I mean, it has been astronomical.” The letter omits the rest of the sentence: “saving the taxpayers money.”

In the edited quote, Cummings seems to be bragging about an “astronomical” impact on drug company stocks. In the context of his statements before and after, he seems to be saying the “astronomical” impact is on taxpayer savings, which justify giving his committee more resources. A minute later he says: “Whatever you all give us, we will give it back in savings by rooting out fraud, waste, and abuse.”

Jordan’s office insisted that the letter does not tell companies not to respond to Cummings’ requests, and in fact encourages the companies to cooperate with “responsible and legitimate” oversight. However, Jordan’s office reiterated that he has grave concerns that in this case Democrats are out to destroy drug company stock value.

Isn’t Meadows the moron who pulled a black woman up as a prop during the Cohen hearings, cried like a bitch when he was rightfully called out as being a racist dick for doing so, and Elijah Cummings actually stood up for him and defended him and called him his friend and vouched for him not being a dick and a racist????

And Meadows pulls some dick garbage shit like this????

I hope Elijah issues a statement taking back all the nice things he said about Meadows and his defense of him.

Then I hope he moseys down to his office in the Rayburn Building and whips Meadows’s narrow white ass.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

holy shit, what a massive self-own by massie there. i'm not the biggest fan of kerry, but his deadpan delivery of "are you serious? is this a serious happening here?" was pretty awesomely done.

Edited by hayden_horn

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The party of dumb.

And now, apparently, it's not the party of science, either.

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/10/science-is-a-democrat-thing-mantra-of-the-trump-administration-revealed/

Science, according to a Trump appointee at the Department of the Interior, is “a Democrat thing.” Those words were reportedly used to justify the abrupt 2017 cancellation of a study into the health effects of mountaintop removal for coal-mining. At the time, then-Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke claimed that the study was canceled after a careful review of the grant process.

But during a Tuesday congressional hearing on this issue, Rep. Alan Lowenthal, D-Calif., citing the inspector general’s report into the matter, said that a Trump appointee named Landon “Tucker” Davis had offered a likelier explanation for why a study that was more than halfway done was abruptly shut down: In Davis’ words, “Science was a Democrat thing.”

"I was deeply offended," Lowenthal told Salon when asked about Davis's comment. “Without independent science, evidence, facts and expertise, policy is made in the dark and special interests can lie to the public and rewrite the rules for their own benefit."

"If the administration dismisses science as a ‘Democrat thing,’ the results will speak for themselves: worse public health, environmental degradation and more and more misguided policy," he added.

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

^^^^^ For the record, this Minnesota Carpetbagger has been married five times - twice to the same woman.

Why does it seem that most (clearly not all) of Texas's craziest Republicans have been imported from out of state?

41 minutes ago, bolverk said:

^^^^^ For the record, this Minnesota Carpetbagger has been married five times - twice to the same woman.

Why does it seem that most (clearly not all) of Texas's craziest Republicans have been imported from out of state?

Two reasons (1) a shitload of people move to Texas every day, and (2) the craziest of the non-Texans are attracted to Texas because were a hands off state and completely republican and most of the shitbird crazies these days lean republican. Sure some of them think Ted Cruz is a RINO because he’s not shitbird crazy enough, but he’ll do in pinch. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's only a matter of time until some Republican decries democracy because of its association with the Democratic Party. 

The Michigan Department of Education says hi

“I’m really proud of my students,” Ms. Debowski said. “They can handle the complexity.” So she was angry last year when she learned of a proposed revision of the state standards, in which the word “democratic” was dropped from “core democratic values,” and the use of the word “democracy” was reduced.

The changes were made after a group of prominent conservatives helped revise the standards. They drew attention to a long-simmering debate over whether “republic” is a better term than “democracy” to describe the American form of government.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I'm actually envious of the people who can totally get behind a "I won't be restrained by simple logic" ideology.  The "I don't care if it doesn't make sense as it long as it sounds cruel" thought process would be a huge asset to starting my new charity called "Meals on Square Wheels," where it takes us much longer to deliver food to the elderly because old people are gross and they can wait and fuck them. 

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does that idiot seriously not know the difference between the social sciences and the natural sciences?

What's astonishing is that, according to Wikipedia, this assclown actually got an BS and MS in mechanical engineering from MIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Massie

If accurate, just goes to show once again that book smarts does not equal common sense ...

5 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

What's astonishing is that, according to Wikipedia, this assclown actually got an BS and MS in mechanical engineering from MIT:

If accurate, just goes to show once again that book smarts does not equal common sense ...

No.  It just shows that politicians are good at the charade.  Cruz is a smart dude.  But he knows his base is a bunch of morons, so he acts like a moron now.  This dude too.  That's what I find so insulting about it.  If they were just dumb, hey, it's not his fault he's saying dumb things any more than it's a fourth grader's fault he can't do calculus.  But this is worse.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Right, but engineers aren't scientists either despite having "science" in the title of their degree. I don't know what Massie's position on AGW is (although I'll bet I can guess). But his Bachelor of Science in Engineering doesn't qualify him to lecture the holder of a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science about science of any kind.

It's not relevant to the discussion anyway since we know the president thinks global warming is a hoax. If they're holding secret meetings about "climate change" then you can bet that industry-funded deniers are being given too much of a voice in the proceedings. We've seen how the GOP's war on science works.

• Like 2

No.  It just shows that politicians are good at the charade.  Cruz is a smart dude.  But he knows his base is a bunch of morons, so he acts like a moron now.  This dude too.  That's what I find so insulting about it.  If they were just dumb, hey, it's not his fault he's saying dumb things any more than it's a fourth grader's fault he can't do calculus.  But this is worse.  

This. The guy asking Kerry these questions has two engineering degrees from MIT and evidently built his own solar powered house. He obviously doesn't lack brainpower.

Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott are similar. It's why I have more contempt for them than I do a Donald Trump or a Dan Patrick. The latter two are just fucking stupid. Low IQ loudmouths that fell upward.

These guys, though? Nah, they know what they're doing. They know what the R base wants to hear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This. The guy asking Kerry these questions has two engineering degrees from MIT and evidently built his own solar powered house. He obviously doesn't lack brainpower.

Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott are similar. It's why I have more contempt for them than I do a Donald Trump or a Dan Patrick. The latter two are just fucking stupid. Low IQ loudmouths that fell upward.

These guys, though? Nah, they know what they're doing. They know what the R base wants to hear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There's a reason why the moron in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure got the biggest cheer for "San Dimas High School football RULES!"  Give the idiot masses what they want to hear, and the crowd will love you.  They don't want the truth.  They want their flavor of bullshit, fed to them with a shovel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There's a reason why the moron in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure got the biggest cheer for "San Dimas High School football RULES!"  Give the idiot masses what they want to hear, and the crowd will love you.  They don't want the truth.  They want their flavor of bullshit, fed to them with a shovel.

And sometimes this concept takes people to a really weird place when they believe it.

QO_wT-.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/politics/tennessee-voter-registration-drive-bill-trnd/index.html

Tennessee has one of the lowest voter registration rates in the country, according to Pew's Election Performance Index. Soon, it could get a lot harder to help people there register to vote. 

Tennessee has a registration rate of 78.52%. While that would be a passing grade at school, it puts Tennessee at 45th among the 50 states for its voter registration rate.
A bill currently making its way through the Tennessee legislature would impose new restrictions on groups that hold voter registration drives and subject them to potential jail time and massive fines.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult