The movie you just watched

F250

Expendables 4. Kinda the same thoughts as what I said about Nic Cage’s movie. The CGI was substandard. It looked like something from a movie produced by a small budget indie production company. I just wanted some time to relax though so that’s why I went. I had no thoughts that the movie would be an amazing accomplishment of cinema. Sometimes movies like this are perfectly fine to watch. Tony Jana’s character was well done and Jacob Scipio seems like he might have a promising future in action and suspense movies if he can be given a better script to work with. Again this movie isn’t horrible. It just is what it is. A lot of death and action which is good for people who enjoy movies like that.

To Kill a Mockingbird; reading it for a class.  Like every American I read it in HS, but am embarrassed to say I haven't seen the movie until now.  Better acting and dialogue than most movies of the era, and Gregory Peck makes a great Atticus Fitch.  His showdown with the lynch mob was better than anything Wyatt Earp ever did.  At least Earp had a gun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I had to appear at a court hearing in Monroeville in the 90s. The circuit judge’s honest to god name was Robert E. Lee Key. When the hearing, held in the “new” Soviet style Monroe County Courthouse constructed in the 60s, was concluded, I wandered over to the old Victorian courthouse, the one which was duly replicated in Mockingbird, to check and see if I could peek in a window. It had been converted into some kind of museum.

Mirabile dictu, the joint was unlocked. I walked right in and clomped through the courtroom, down to the bench, into the jury box, up to the balcony. That’s where the juju grabbed me, when I thought of the line, “Stand up, Miss Jean Louise. Your father’s passing.”

i was 45 or so then. It was one of those moments. I thought about white Southern males and a lifetime of being judged racist by association. I thought of the beautiful and kind black people I had known. I thought of how Harper Lee and Hollywood and Gregory Peck finally got something right. 

I stood there in that dusty old place, the late afternoon sun sending shafts of light through the dust I had raised, and wept. I was just thankful and hopeful.

• Like 4

To Kill a Mockingbird; reading it for a class.  Like every American I read it in HS, but am embarrassed to say I haven't seen the movie until now.  Better acting and dialogue than most movies of the era, and Gregory Peck makes a great Atticus Fitch.  His showdown with the lynch mob was better than anything Wyatt Earp ever did.  At least Earp had a gun.

Having never seen this is perfectly acceptable as long as you graduated HS within the last year.

Gran Turismo -     
David Harbour
Orlando Bloom
Archie Madekwe
Darren Barnet
Geri Halliwell Horner
Djimon Hounsou

Thought this was a video game fiction film until I found out it was a biopic and a very good one at that. It has more than it's share of CGI (wanna see a valve train at 9,000 RPM? You will several times.) But the script was strong to quite strong. The racing scenes were outstanding and the acting was above par. Cool that Nissan bought into one marketing nut's sales promotion for gamers and it exploded.

Edited by RPM

On 10/2/2023 at 10:38 PM, MissingInAction said:

No One Will Save you is really good. Three words of dialog and the lead kills it. She's a serious talent.

Great message and an original take on the alien invasion trope.

That flick was surprisingly good. The lack of dialog added to the tension.

Agreed the actress was fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

This one really got to me.

Yeah. It's going to be a love/hate movie. I love Dafoe and it reminds me of his performance in The Lighthouse which was also seeped in symbols. Honestly, I can't see any other actor pulling it off the way he did. Especially the physical transformation. Oscar worthy.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:37 PM, Parliament said:

Not a movie, but I saw To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway with Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch and he was nails. Think of his character on The Newsroom but back in time. Was first time ever seeing it and the first revisit from 9th grade English class as well. Would recommend.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Not a movie, but I saw To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway with Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch and he was nails. Think of his character on The Newsroom but back in time. Was first time ever seeing it and the first revisit from 9th grade English class as well. Would recommend.

Definitely agree.  My first trip to NYC was highlighted by this trip to the Schubert theatre in 2021 to witness this outstanding performance.  Have to admit it was kind of hard to believe he could be so amazing in a dramatic role when considering his character in Dumb & Dumber.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, MissingInAction said:

No One Will Save you is really good. Three words of dialog and the lead kills it. She's a serious talent.

Great message and an original take on the alien invasion trope.

I liked this as well. Took me a second, but really thought it was creative how they ended it.

13 Hours.  I think this movie gets a bad rap because it was directed by Michael Bay and because several of the men depicted decided to use it as a political tool in the 2016 election.  And that's too bad because it's a very good movie.  I'm sure it's sacrilege to say this; 13 Hours tells its story better than Lone Survivor.  It's also more historically accurate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

13 Hours.  I think this movie gets a bad rap because it was directed by Michael Bay and because several of the men depicted decided to use it as a political tool in the 2016 election.  And that's too bad because it's a very good movie.  I'm sure it's sacrilege to say this; 13 Hours tells its story better than Lone Survivor.  It's also more historically accurate. 

I thought 13 Hours was fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Dead Presidents on Showtime.

What a deeply shitty Vietnam/ heist movie. I’m glad Spike Lee saved the genre with the Da 5 Bloods.

When this movie came out, did it get good reviews?

Speaking of genre revivals, just watched Nolan’s Batman Begins for first time in 10 years. Still holds up and is awesome. It’s easy to forget in 2023 (because this movie came out in 2005), but the reboot and shift in tone and character driven story for a comic book movie was groundbreaking and the surprise critical and commercial success laid the ground for Iron Man and later TDK which smashed us into the “golden age” of comic book movies which ended with End Game.

Edited by BeardIP

Just saw The Royal Hotel. It has Julia Garner from Ozark in it. This is a really good movie. I had zero expectations about what I was going to see, but this was a very enjoyable film. It was filmed in the very small town of Yatina, Australia, which is north of Adelaide if that helps with the location. I saw so many characters in there that remind me of people from my travels. I would definitely recommend this movie. Garner’s character definitely had some fight in her.

Edited by UpperWestside

Phantasm.

It's been several decades since I saw this quirky horror flick for the first time (as a teenager).  Watched it with my son the other night as he had not seen it.   It starts really slow but does a credible job of building a real sense of suspense.  I didn't remember from my first viewing, but the sound effects were really on point.  A few gratuitous shots of titties and lots of bizarre supernatural nonsense.  The middle to end of the movie is fun shlock.  Oh, and it screams 70s with the clothes, hairdos and cars.

Ambulance. What a giant piece of shit. A good cast couldn’t rescue it from Michael Bay. I watched the whole movie because my wife liked the paramedic character. 

Gang bangers from Boyle Heights are basically the Taliban. Interesting take Mr. Bay. 

I saw that How Did This Get Made? has a podcast on it. I think I’ll enjoy that more than the film. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 9/24/2023 at 9:07 PM, Post Oak said:

Saw Barbie yesterday. Liked it a lot.  I thought it was funny and clever. 

Varsity Blues.  This and American Pie are two of the movies that take me back to my college days more than any others. 

My wife is repulsed by both of them so when they're on I usually get the room to myself

Delete wife, acquire Ali Larter

On 10/9/2023 at 7:35 AM, BeardIP said:

Speaking of genre revivals, just watched Nolan’s Batman Begins for first time in 10 years. Still holds up and is awesome. It’s easy to forget in 2023 (because this movie came out in 2005), but the reboot and shift in tone and character driven story for a comic book movie was groundbreaking and the surprise critical and commercial success laid the ground for Iron Man and later TDK which smashed us into the “golden age” of comic book movies which ended with End Game.

I actually caught some of this today on TV and was reminded that I like Batman Begins more (perhaps significantly so) than TDK. I know I’m in the minority on that for sure, but it struck me while I was watching that I wouldn’t have stopped to watch if I saw that TDK was on instead. 

I actually caught some of this today on TV and was reminded that I like Batman Begins more (perhaps significantly so) than TDK. I know I’m in the minority on that for sure, but it struck me while I was watching that I wouldn’t have stopped to watch if I saw that TDK was on instead. 

BB is a better movie. I think a lot of TDK problems are dismissed because Ledger’s performance and the desire for it to be in a better movie than it is.