The movie you just watched

F250

Watched Godfather II and III on my flight today (watched the first one on my way to Spain a few weeks ago).  I honestly do not think I've ever sat down and watched the third one at all.  Holy shit, Sofia Coppola was horrible.  Also, the storyline was kind of nuts.  

II is still my favorite of the lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Solid take. Especially given how high the bar was set by One.

I loved Godfather I, but I felt that it dragged some in places.  I never felt that II dragged at all.  I was completely invested in the story.  The acting in both was abolutely top notch.  Honestly, best one two punch in cinema.

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I never got the love for the Godfather movies.  They bore the hell out of me.  Largely, I think, because I can't identify with or respect any of the characters.  Same issue I had with the Sopranos show.  Films with Mob/Gangster protagonists just aren't in my wheelhouse for the most part I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I never got the love for the Godfather movies.  They bore the hell out of me.  Largely, I think, because I can't identify with or respect any of the characters.  Same issue I had with the Sopranos show.  Films with Mob/Gangster protagonists just aren't in my wheelhouse for the most part I guess.

It's only been the last 10-15 years that I've come to appreciate its greatness, great acting, story, cinematography and score.  I'm no Pacino fan but he slays as Michael. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Rewatched Man on Fire for maybe the 5th time. Maybe my favorite Denzel movie.

Is the opinion that Man On Fire >>>> Training Day a crazy statement for the rest of you?

You think Training Day is better before you have a kid.   Once you're a dad you know Man on Fire is the shit.

23 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Rewatched Man on Fire for maybe the 5th time. Maybe my favorite Denzel movie.

Is the opinion that Man On Fire >>>> Training Day a crazy statement for the rest of you?

I noticed that Dish has been playing the original, but I haven’t been able to catch it at the beginning yet, or to remember to just record it. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:51 PM, Stringer said:

You Hurt My Feelings

My wife and I really enjoyed it.  Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a legend (not sure how she keeps getting better looking...maybe I'm just getting older) and the movie is very funny.  It's an easy 90-minute low stakes movie about the small lies we tell each other to keep everyone afloat.  I really enjoyed Enough Said, the last Louis-Dreyfus/Nicole Holofcener movie and this was in a similar lane.

Highly recommended for a fun/easy watch at the end of a long week. 

Really, really enjoyed this movie. A show about nothing, it was really entertaining….

The Automat - Horn & Hardart, founded in 1888 by Joseph Horn and Frank Hardart, was noted for operating the first food service automats in Philadelphia and New York City. The restaurant chain was well known in the U.S. for serving food out of a vending machine for a nickel. The last New York Horn & Hardart Automat closed in April 1991.

a wonderful slice of americana. very well done documentary 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Automat

• Like 3

I watch movies while I do computer work, so they can't be too good or complicated, and definitely no subtitles.  I really just listen and look over once in a while.  Maybe rewind if I miss something that looked important, like boobs or plot points.

I suffered through some real stinkers yesterday on Amazon.

Tiptoes.

The Matador.

Flesh and Bone.

The Whale (2022)

Sweet Jesus.

So I kid you not, I didn't know what this flick was about, and I thought it starred Brendan Gleason.  So I was expecting some serious/funny Irish comedy and or police procedural. But something with Brendan Gleason and a bunch of UK character actors.

Instead it was Brendan Fraser.   And it was a quality film of a play but Jesus.

I was really impressed by the actress Sadie Sink who was the redhead in Stranger Things. 

Brandan Fraser was lucky because he gets to order pizza every night.

But this movie is very subtly anti-pizza, I believe. 

13 hours ago, RPM said:

The Guard is on Starz. Brendan Gleeson is a Irish Guard (State Police), plays it deadpan all the way through and is fucking hilarious. Don Cheadle is the FBI agent on the case. 

Ha, I just saw that a few weeks ago.  It's actually terrible on many levels but the only level you care about is Gleason and that's fine.

This movie would have been terrible if Brendan Fraser had been the lead.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:37 AM, Elvis said:

Working from home doing accounting and other mudane computer stuff.  I usually have something on my second monitor to watch.

Yesterday I watched some excellent T&A horrer type movies.

Knock Knock

knock-knock-2593064.jpg

Sorority Row

sorority_row_girls_03.jpg

SX Tape - this one wasn't that great

MV5BNDU4MDE3MTE4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE3

Knock knock irritated me.  

Crazy bitches 

great tits tho 

Edited by kingkoopa6

As I typically do on a day off, I watched 4 very different movies. I love variety. Worst Person in the World, which is from Norway and won awards at Cannes and good; A Simple Favor and not a movie I expected with Anna Kendrick; Nope and didn't really like it all that much; and Pearl. The last one was nothing like I expected it to be and really bizarre. 

D&D Honor Among Thieves - I expected popcorn flick.  Film met expectations.  Had more laughs in it than I expected.  Parts of the story/action didn't really make sense and/or progressed too fast, but whatever, don't sweat the details and it's a fun enough ride.

• Like 1

Godzilla II: King Of The Monsters - yeeesh.  I love Godzilla movies and had high hopes, but the 83% audience score on RT seems too generous.  There were some interesting ideas thrown around, but all the kaiju fights look like they were shot with a potato in a downpour, at night.  Not being able to see anything kind of defeats the purpose of 4k.  The plot was so scattered Ken Watanabe committed seppuku to get away.  Sounded pretty good, so there's that.  Wanted 11 to do some superhero shit.  Best part was the BOC remix during the end credits.

Edited by TOR
GODZILLA!