The movie you just watched

F250

38 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Finally saw CODA (2021)

I don't know why I was expecting something darker.  This was an after school special, but I enjoyed it.

I watched it Friday night.  Interesting look into a world that I have no familiarity with.  I liked it.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:05 PM, UpperWestside said:

The Little Mermaid. Sometimes I enjoy seeing movies that are animated because they are usually pretty positive overall. I really enjoyed this one. I do not have much memory of the first movie, but this was cool. Highly recommended to those of y’all with families. 

Little corny at times. But overall not bad. 

was done well. And had it’s funny moments. 

Ariel sisters tho… couple baddies in there 

The Hound of Baskervilles (1939)

Pretty weak, compared to pre-code Hollywood mysteries and compared to the book, which was itself a little uneven. I guess that's because it's mostly British with Basil Rathbone being the lead as Sherlock Holmes.

The book review, crosspost:

I like mysteries pretty decent and I like pre-code Hollywood movies, so I've read and watched a lot of Dashiel Hammett, but have actually never read or seen anything except the very common and popular culture references of Sherlock Holmes e.g. pipe, hat, Baker St., "Elementary, Dear Watson", etc.

So I picked up and read this and it was pretty decent. Reminded me of good mix of late Victorian literature (a little Frankenstein) and Romanticism (Edgar Allen Poe/Goth/Rue Morgue).

All in all, I enjoyed how it was written, very sportingly and articulated as I guess you'd wont from an 1890's English gentleman but even in small doses the arrogance of Holmes is overbearing IMO

Edited by HonkeyVape
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.   I was not expecting the vignette-type story telling but enjoyed it.  I thought it was pretty decently cast and each of the part of the anthology was pretty good.   I really liked the Tom Waits prospector one and the Zoe Kazan one (even though that one ended sadly.)  Not sure I agree with ending it on "The Mortal Remains" as I thought that one was the weak link.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.   I was not expecting the vignette-type story telling but enjoyed it.  I thought it was pretty decently cast and each of the part of the anthology was pretty good.   I really liked the Tom Waits prospector one and the Zoe Kazan one (even though that one ended sadly.)  Not sure I agree with ending it on "The Mortal Remains" as I thought that one was the weak link.  

Pretty much agree with your take, but I think the human stub was one of the most powerful ones. The first eponymous one was all around the most entertaining for me.

The Hound of Baskervilles (1939)
Pretty weak, compared to pre-code Hollywood mysteries and compared to the book, which was itself a little uneven. I guess that's because it's mostly British with Basil Rathbone being the lead as Sherlock Holmes.
The book review, crosspost:
I like mysteries pretty decent and I like pre-code Hollywood movies, so I've read and watched a lot of Dashiel Hammett, but have actually never read or seen anything except the very common and popular culture references of Sherlock Holmes e.g. pipe, hat, Baker St., "Elementary, Dear Watson", etc.
So I picked up and read this and it was pretty decent. Reminded me of good mix of late Victorian literature (a little Frankenstein) and Romanticism (Edgar Allen Poe/Goth/Rue Morgue).
All in all, I enjoyed how it was written, very sportingly and articulated as I guess you'd wont from an 1890's English gentleman but even in small doses the arrogance of Holmes is overbearing IMO

Growing up in Memphis the local
CBS station had the largest library of movies in the country preTBS. They skipped whatever late night shit cbs had and showed movies all night. All the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies were great including when he moved from Edwardian England to fighting Nazis. I gotta dig those up again. Also had all the Johnny weismueller Tarzan’s, everything Bogart, early Hitchcock, thin man, you name it. I got a great film class from jr high thru college.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I like Judy Holliday. She was funny.

Absolutely. Born Yesterday and It Should Happen to You are classics. Watched Full of Life for the first time and it was a suyrupy sweet, ham fisted family values picture. What I noticed was Judy's looks had started to change. She did 1 more film, Bells are Ringing, before her death in 1965 from breast cancer. Damned shame.

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Absolutely. Born Yesterday and It Should Happen to You are classics. Watched Full of Life for the first time and it was a suyrupy sweet, ham fisted family values picture. What I noticed was Judy's looks had started to change. She did 1 more film, Bells are Ringing, before her death in 1965 from breast cancer. Damned shame.

Born Yesterday is a great movie.

Just a fantastic movie.

My first trip to China, and Beijing, was in 1986 and that was before the movie made its debut. I am glad I got to see The Forbidden City in the state that it was for this film. To see the decay just highlighted the decades of turmoil that China had undergone.

I have also visited The Forbidden City during, and after, the government cleaned it up and restored it for the Olympics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things (2021).  

Normally teen romcoms are not my thing (unless they are 1980s romcoms, actually made in the 1980s).  A friend recommended it because they knew I liked time travel stuff, and that I liked The Magicians TV series. Lev Grossman who was responsible for writing The Magicians novels, wrote The Map of Tiny Perfect Things. Not helped that Amazon kept recommending it (not sure if it was because of what I had watched or because it's an Original movie that they are pushing).  Of course, I looked up the credits and saw Akiva Goldsmith and I have a love-hate relationship with him over Star Trek. Didn't know who the male lead was. Only knew the female lead, Kathryn Newton, from the latest Ant-Man movie and from Halt and Catch Fire.

It was....competently made. I'm way out of the target demographic for it, but I like time travel, and this thing was Groundhog Day taken to the extreme, just without Bill Murray. Not bad, not great, and the why of what was happening was a bit of a twist.

The last three time travel movies I actually enjoyed were Looper, Edge of Tomorrow, and Palm Springs, and it turns out that all three plus The Map of Tiny Perfect Things are a sub-genre of time travel, namely time loops, so now I have added a few more films to various streaming queues.  So thanks to Map of Tiny Perfect Things for that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_time_loops

Was telling a friend about the new Justified coming out and went down an Elmore Leonard rabbit hole. Found a 1972 film based on The Moonshine War. Yee gads they butchered some fine writing by casting Alan Alda as a Kentucky moonshiner and Patrick McGoohan as the Revenue Man. It's a battle to see who can do the worst Kentucky accent. Would love to see this remade the right way.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Normally teen romcoms are not my thing (unless they are 1980s romcoms, actually made in the 1980s).  A friend recommended it because they knew I liked time travel stuff, and that I liked The Magicians TV series. Lev Grossman who was responsible for writing The Magicians novels, wrote The Map of Tiny Perfect Things. Not helped that Amazon kept recommending it (not sure if it was because of what I had watched or because it's an Original movie that they are pushing).  Of course, I looked up the credits and saw Akiva Goldsmith and I have a love-hate relationship with him over Star Trek. Didn't know who the male lead was. Only knew the female lead, Kathryn Newton, from the latest Ant-Man movie and from Halt and Catch Fire.

It was....competently made. I'm way out of the target demographic for it, but I like time travel, and this thing was Groundhog Day taken to the extreme, just without Bill Murray. Not bad, not great, and the why of what was happening was a bit of a twist.

The last three time travel movies I actually enjoyed were Looper, Edge of Tomorrow, and Palm Springs, and it turns out that all three plus The Map of Tiny Perfect Things are a sub-genre of time travel, namely time loops, so now I have added a few more films to various streaming queues.  So thanks to Map of Tiny Perfect Things for that. 

Have you heard of Triangle (2009)?

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't the lead dodge a bullet for kidnapping a minor? 

Oh yeah, he’s a lunatic. However, he does a great job of playing the same person from two different timelines. They have a different enough personality that it feels like two different people. In the same frame, you never feel like it’s the filming trick it is.

Barabarella (1968)

Very campy and weird but I liked it.  Jane Fonda is scorchingly hot (literally in a key plot point toward the end).  Half the movie revolves around excuses to get her into as little clothing as possible.

There's a scene where a bunch of wild children have their razor-teethed dolls attack Barbarella that was quite creepy.

I also now know how the band Duran Duran got its name.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:39 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm sure you've seen it, but About Time is a fantastic time travel romcom / father-son relationship movie.  And for those of you macho men that would be turned off by the sound of that just do yourself a favor and watch this movie.

Home for Juneteenth and watched 4 very different movies, which I like to do for the variety. The Fablemans...very well done and acted. Lord of War...older movie, but enjoyed it a lot. Close... typical foreign language film that won awards at Cannes last year. Slow moving but really good and intense. Reality... true story straight from a transcript of an arrest interview. It was OK, and my least favorite of the day. 

Edited by Mo Horn

A Hard Day’s Night. Of course the music is perfect, and it’s cool seeing the boys as young men but why did they cheap out and film in B&W? And I was 3 in 1964, so maybe you had to be a little older when it came out, but the 60’s British absurdist humor just isn’t for me. It’s certainly influenced not only the Monkees and all the copycat 60’s band movies, but all music videos since. Another takeaway for me was how easy it was for dudes to dance in 1964, just twitch around a little.