The movie you just watched

F250

If you're high or just want a stupid movie to watch I recommend Mindhorn.

It's a about a washed up actor who had a hit show 25 years ago playing a TV detective, who is called in to help on a real police case.

His police Liasson is played by Andrea Riseborough.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Pick Up Artist. 

Film crew tapes Robert Downey Jr working off his community service hours, and Molly Ringwald attempting to resuscitate her career. 

Good cast. Keitel, Christine Baranski, Aiello, Dennis Hopper, and Poppie as a mugger. Some Sopranos cameos as well, Paulie Walnuts and Lorraine Bracco. Sort of interesting mob angle. 

Let’s be honest. It’s not a very good movie, but any movie shot in 1980s New York fascinates me. Also, Atlantic City in 1987 looks crazy.

The real star of the movie of the movie is Hopper’s shirt stains. 

13 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Always liked this one. The appearance, at the end, by John Banner always made me smile.

Banner played Schultz in Hogan's Heroes.

Sig Ruman played Schultz in Stalag 17, the character Bannon's role was based on. AFAIK this was they only time they were on screen together.

Edited by RPM

On 4/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Pick Up Artist. 

Film crew tapes Robert Downey Jr working off his community service hours, and Molly Ringwald attempting to resuscitate her career. 

Good cast. Keitel, Christine Baranski, Aiello, Dennis Hopper, and Poppie as a mugger. Some Sopranos cameos as well, Paulie Walnuts and Lorraine Bracco. Sort of interesting mob angle. 

Let’s be honest. It’s not a very good movie, but any movie shot in 1980s New York fascinates me. Also, Atlantic City in 1987 looks crazy.

The real star of the movie of the movie is Hopper’s shirt stains. 

I was living in Manhattan when they filmed that.  I came home from work one day and I couldn’t get home because they were filming right in front of the brownstone where I was living.  I always watch that whenever I can just so I can see that.  This was my block

image.jpeg.8bfb6b6f476176d53efc0e08e8af5d02.jpeg

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Iron Eagle!! Super cheesy but fun. Has a bunch of young actors you’d seen in other movies. MJ Fox’s buddy from Teen Wolf, Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds, cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch, and a very young Jan from The Office as the star kid’s girlfriend. The kid’s high tech gimmick was a Walkman strapped to his thigh. My take away from this movie was that in 1986 fighter jets were so easy to fly that you could be an Ace after a couple of hours in an 8 bit simulator!

• Hook 'Em 1

I would not have guessed before last night that in his whole career Robert Duvall only won one Oscar.

Turns out he won best actor for Tender Mercies which I watched last night.

Good movie. Also won for best screenplay. Surprised Duvall won for that though.

I would not have guessed before last night that in his whole career Robert Duvall only won one Oscar.

Turns out he won best actor for Tender Mercies which I watched last night.

Good movie. Also won for best screenplay. Surprised Duvall won for that though.

We’re Oscar’s handed out for great acting instead of best ad campaigns to voters Duvall would have a closet full of them. I think he is the greatest actor I’ve ever seen; he is awesome in every role large and small. My favorite: E.F. in The Apostle.

We watch Bernie last night with Jack Black, Matt McC, and Shirley McClain.  We thought it was pretty entertaining.  Based on a true story in Carthage Tx, while it was on, I looked at imdb, wiki and other to find additional info.  Casting hit the nail on the head with Jack Black as Bernie.  I can't see anyone else doing that part. 

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

We’re Oscar’s handed out for great acting instead of best ad campaigns to voters Duvall would have a closet full of them. I think he is the greatest actor I’ve ever seen; he is awesome in every role large and small. My favorite: E.F. in The Apostle.

I can not over emphasize how good The Apostle is.  

Palm Springs (2020) 

It's pretty much a romcom made by the Lonely Island guys and stars Andy Samberg. Really funny and enjoyable to watch, the characters are heavily flawed people but lovable by the end. I don't want to spoil the plot, as I went in with no clue about the story, but it's worth giving it a chance. Lots of hilarious moments even if you don't like the characters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This was very entertaining. The banter was amazing,

5183CT06SGL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.e531f4ca69c408e3b433653671bde2ad.jpg

It’s a very intense movie, and rare these days basically a filmed stage play, in black and white. It was probably very immersive on a big theater screen m, like you were in the living room with them as an uncomfortable guest. Taylor and Burton are so good in their characters though one has to think some of the volatility mirrored their real life. It’s certainly not a feel good rom com.
  • Hook 'Em 2

saw Great Gatsby on a flight. 
jeezus that thing is horrible, shallow, utterly pointless and gratuitous. 

i think the book was mandatory reading in grade school and possibly had some literary value examined through a critical lens. through a film lens it licks ass. 

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Palm Springs (2020) 

It's pretty much a romcom made by the Lonely Island guys and stars Andy Samberg. Really funny and enjoyable to watch, the characters are heavily flawed people but lovable by the end. I don't want to spoil the plot, as I went in with no clue about the story, but it's worth giving it a chance. Lots of hilarious moments even if you don't like the characters.

Basically a poor man's Groundhog Day, but I really enjoyed it as well.  JK Simmons is great as usual.

Disney made the movie, Miracle of the White Stallions, to commemorate this event.

One of my grandfathers was born in Vienna and in 1972 my father took my mom, and her father back to visit the homeland. They saw the Lipizzaner stallions on that trip. I’m not sure why I didn’t really know about this story but, it was an enjoyable film. Kids would enjoy it, too.

I watched the Verdict on HBOMax or Max or Discovery Max or Chip and Joanna Max. 

While I liked the film, I don't think it's a masterpiece. Just a good, solid early 80s legal drama. I think it have worked better if they shot the entire film in Boston and used locals. I understand the director Sidney Lumet set out to shoot all his films in New York City.  I'm sure the book delves into more, but the film doesn't really address how powerful the archdiocese of Boston was at the time. We just see a very serious archbishop in a funny hat talking to his attorney. There's just a hint that he has complete control of the city/hospitals/courts. 

The pacing was fine. Cinematography excellent. Newman and the supporting cast is great. It was fun to see Pops from Dirty Work in a serious role. Jack Warden had some moves. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched the Verdict on HBOMax or Max or Discovery Max or Chip and Joanna Max. 

While I liked the film, I don't think it's a masterpiece. Just a good, solid early 80s legal drama. I think it have worked better if they shot the entire film in Boston and used locals. I understand the director Sidney Lumet set out to shoot all his films in New York City.  I'm sure the book delves into more, but the film doesn't really address how powerful the archdiocese of Boston was at the time. We just see a very serious archbishop in a funny hat talking to his attorney. There's just a hint that he has complete control of the city/hospitals/courts. 

The pacing was fine. Cinematography excellent. Newman and the supporting cast is great. It was fun to see Pops from Dirty Work in a serious role. Jack Warden had some moves. 

Bruce Willis’ finest role/work.