The movie you just watched

F250

I watched LA Confidential for the first time last night. Always wanted to see it, just never have. It's on Netflix now.

I ate a large gummy before watching so I was definitely all up inside my head the whole time. Before I get attacked, I agree that it's a great movie overall and I was thoroughly entertained. That said, in my altered state of mind a couple things stuck out at me:

1. The lead characters sometimes came across as caricatures with one-dimensional motivations, especially Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe. I did feel like they hinted at something a little deeper with Kevin Spacey (who was great, even though we now know he's a creep). Some of the dialogue was very on the nose, and the characters' big dramatic revelations were telegraphed.
  2. Along the same lines, Kim Basinger's character basically just existed to be a sex object for the lead male characters. I skimmed a little bit and was surprised that contemporary reviews didn't call them out more for this.

I couldn't decide as I watched if the filmmakers deliberately made these choices as an homage/tribute to real old school film noir type stuff, or if these were just flaws in the script. Definitely want to rewatch it while sober and see what I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I couldn't decide as I watched if the filmmakers deliberately made these choices as an homage/tribute to real old school film noir type stuff, or if these were just flaws in the script.

You might want to read the novel by James Ellroy. It's Part 3 of 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/11/2024 at 10:14 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Can’t Buy Me Love
CSB time. This movie was my first date. We were supposed to go to Busch Gardens for the day but it was raining so my Mom offered to drop us off at the theater.
It was the summer after my first year at a new middle school and she was the head cheerleader just like Cindy.
36 years later we are still friends and went to each others weddings.

Saw that at the old Northcross Mall theater my sophomore year at UT. As me and my girlfriend at the time were taking a left onto Anderson some completely shitfaced (it was like 4 in the afternoon in the middle of the week) fat chick in a Taurus blew through the light and t-boned us. We smacked heads, banged into the car in the opposite lane, was a fucking mess. Chick sprinted out of her car back toward Burnet immediately; girlfriend’s dad heard later from his insurance company that she’d already had like 4 DWIs…

Edited by Ignatius

Just saw Ordinary Angels with the fam and it was surprisingly good for a PureFlix type movie. Some star power with Hilary Swank as essentially a Christian Erin Brockovich, and it's pure emotional rollercoaster (young girl with liver disease, mom dies, etc.). Everyone enjoyed it from the teens to the kids, so it's a good family film in the theatre currently. Even the reviewers and critics seem to think it's okay; 85% on RT and 7.9/10 on IMDb.

American Fiction: Loved it. So very smart. 

Poor Things: What's the fucking deal with this POS? Got bored and abandoned it after 35 minutes. I was surprised to see how well-received it has been. Sometimes you just miss the point, I guess. Emma Stone was certainly committed.

Only Oscar nominee left to watch is Zone of Interest.

I've been strongly preferring the smaller movies: Past LIves, Holdovers, and American Fiction.

Didn't much care for Maestro. Seems Bernstein and everyone he knew were smokers. Oh, and they all talk at the same time and laugh at things that aren't funny.

Hard to loose with Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan in the lead, but they found a way. Mulligan was the only thing even vaguely interesting about the movie. 

53 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Didn't much care for Maestro. Seems Bernstein and everyone he knew were smokers. Oh, and they all talk at the same time and laugh at things that aren't funny.

Hard to loose with Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan in the lead, but they found a way. Mulligan was the only thing even vaguely interesting about the movie. 

I saw it a few months ago and agree, she was great. Although the movie felt like a simple Bradley Cooper Oscar-bait vehicle, and nothing more. I thought the choice of a prosthetic nose was a bit over the top, a lot like Steve Carell in Foxcatcher, but they both got Best Actor noms with it, so maybe it's a trend. 

All the Way with Brian Cranston

I unexpectedly LOLed multiple times.  I thought Cranston did a great depiction of LBJ's Texan politics without overplaying stereotypes.  I enjoyed it on a 2 hour flight, which was fucking perfect as I started it while still at the gate.

Poor Things - wow, just wow. I don't know what to say about it, it's so many things. The set design, costumes, acting are all excellent. The story is interesting and weird (like everything Lanthimos does), but also funny and entertaining. Lots of great one-liner quotes are sprinkled throughout. It's somewhat of a futuristic Frankenstein movie, but substantial differences in how the monster is viewed by the people. Instead of the villagers with pitchforks and torches casting out the monster, they all want to... well ya know... the monster.  

I'm not sure if I would recommend this film to most people, but if you are a fan of Emma Stone and want to see her space-alien-looking-self fucking a whole lot, this movie is for you! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Creed III - The weakest entry of the trilogy, but really enjoyed and was immersed in Jonathan Majors bad guy. That guy is a fantastic actor-- too bad he's a piece of crap in real life and has been cancelled.

Kung Fu Panda IV- Like the above, it's the weakest entry in the franchise, but still decently fun. The furious five are non-existent and you get an annoying fox voiced by Awkafina who sounds like she has smoked a pack of Kool's everyday for the last 20 years, but Jack Black kills it in everything. Dreamworks has some cool stuff coming out too-- The Wild Robot looks like an even better Wall-E, reimagined for 2024.

Edited by BeardIP

On 3/9/2024 at 7:47 PM, semitired said:

Fight Club. I've been hearing about this movie for 25yrs, so I figured it was time I watched it. I enjoyed it, once I figured out the craziness. 

You obviously did not pay attention, because...

spacer.png

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2024 at 2:04 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Poor Things - wow, just wow. I don't know what to say about it, it's so many things. The set design, costumes, acting are all excellent. The story is interesting and weird (like everything Lanthimos does), but also funny and entertaining. Lots of great one-liner quotes are sprinkled throughout. It's somewhat of a futuristic Frankenstein movie, but substantial differences in how the monster is viewed by the people. Instead of the villagers with pitchforks and torches casting out the monster, they all want to... well ya know... the monster.  

I'm not sure if I would recommend this film to most people, but if you are a fan of Emma Stone and want to see her space-alien-looking-self fucking a whole lot, this movie is for you! 

Watched it yesterday and definitely weird. Has Emma Stone ever done nudity before? Because she was hella nude in this.

Your Frankenstein description is spot on. They wanna fuck her, not kill her.

What happens to her former husband at the end still has me chuckling.

Edited by Nole-4-Life

Poor Things...  it was good, but I have found that I'm thinking about the movie more and more. and not like that you pervs!

Best line of the film.  

Spoiler

I am my own means of production

A lot to unpack

Edited by locodos

7 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Watched it yesterday and definitely weird. Has Emma Stone ever done nudity before because she was hella nude in this.

You're Frankenstein description is spot on. They wanna fuck control her, not kill her.

What happens to her former husband at the end still has me chuckling.

That wrinkle was nicely set up.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, tokamak said:

I watched LA Confidential for the first time last night. Always wanted to see it, just never have. It's on Netflix now.

I ate a large gummy before watching so I was definitely all up inside my head the whole time. Before I get attacked, I agree that it's a great movie overall and I was thoroughly entertained. That said, in my altered state of mind a couple things stuck out at me:

1. The lead characters sometimes came across as caricatures with one-dimensional motivations, especially Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe. I did feel like they hinted at something a little deeper with Kevin Spacey (who was great, even though we now know he's a creep). Some of the dialogue was very on the nose, and the characters' big dramatic revelations were telegraphed.
  2. Along the same lines, Kim Basinger's character basically just existed to be a sex object for the lead male characters. I skimmed a little bit and was surprised that contemporary reviews didn't call them out more for this.

I couldn't decide as I watched if the filmmakers deliberately made these choices as an homage/tribute to real old school film noir type stuff, or if these were just flaws in the script. Definitely want to rewatch it while sober and see what I think.

The first time I saw it was back when I knew a stewardess I mean flight attendant with a huge baggie of Hawaiian weed. We camped out in an overpriced hotel room that she paid for naturally because I'm a natural born bum and smoked it up and fucked like bunnies all weekend. This was back when they used to have the "Soul Bowl" between Texas Southern and some other school. Can't remember. Too much Hawaiin weed smoked

Anyhow even with all the stank and noise we didn't even stand out. Good times

Also loved LA Confidential

“Buoyancy”

About a 14yo old Cambodian boy who loves away from home and gets tricked into forced slavery on a Thai fishing boat.  Decent flick overall with some intense scenes. I watched it on plane with subtitles so can’t comment on overall audio quality etc

Ricky Stanicky (Prime)

I thought it was pretty damn funny, and reminded me of the old Farrelly movies (Kingpin, Something about Mary, Dumb and Dumber).  Cena and William H. Macy both pretty much stole any scene they were in.  Worth the watch if you like that type of humor.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/11/2024 at 9:30 AM, Nole-4-Life said:

Watched it yesterday and definitely weird. Has Emma Stone ever done nudity before? Because she was hella nude in this.

Just barely in The Favourite...definitely not as vigorously as in Poor Things

I'm almost obligated to enjoy any movie featuring lesbians that are played by gay women, because there are so few of them that get widespread release, but this is definitely one of the best (still doesn't top Portrait of a Lady on Fire--and maybe nothing ever will tbh). Love Lies Bleeding doesn't hit every pitch that it swings at, but these. dykes. go. places. Hilariously, this might be the most femme I have ever seen Katy O'Brian. Everyone deserves a Muscle Mommy.

Between this, Drive-Away Dolls Dykes, and Bottoms, we're having a moment and everyone is invited to join.

ETA: this has some of the most explicitly implied gay sex since Heath Ledger spat on his fingers to lube up Jake G's butthole in Brokeback Mountain. Except I'm sure more of y'all will enjoy this compared to that.

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 4

A couple of long flights

Holdovers - Giamatti & DaVine were great. Kid was annoying as fuck

Wonka - really good. 

Past Lives - good

Retribution - laughably bad 

Promising Young Woman - fun story. Wanted different ending

Resurrection - terrible and dumb

17 hours ago, safe sex said:

I'm almost obligated to enjoy any movie featuring lesbians that are played by gay women, because there are so few of them that get widespread release, but this is definitely one of the best (still doesn't top Portrait of a Lady on Fire--and maybe nothing ever will tbh). Love Lies Bleeding doesn't hit every pitch that it swings at, but these. dykes. go. places. Hilariously, this might be the most femme I have ever seen Katy O'Brian. Everyone deserves a Muscle Mommy.

Between this, Drive-Away Dolls Dykes, and Bottoms, we're having a moment and everyone is invited to join.

ETA: this has some of the most explicitly implied gay sex since Heath Ledger spat on his fingers to lube up Jake G's butthole in Brokeback Mountain. Except I'm sure more of y'all will enjoy this compared to that.

This one's on my list for sure. I loved Saint Maud - can't wait to see more Rose Glass.

• Drool 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I saw it a few months ago and agree, she was great. Although the movie felt like a simple Bradley Cooper Oscar-bait vehicle, and nothing more. I thought the choice of a prosthetic nose was a bit over the top, a lot like Steve Carell in Foxcatcher, but they both got Best Actor noms with it, so maybe it's a trend. 

Lol.  When it came out and the controversy about the nose occurred, all I could think about was Tropic Thunder:

spacer.png

The Academy has gotten pretty good at sniffing out thinly veiled Oscar bait. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Staying with the crew in a place near the quiet entry to the Great Smoky Mountains national park and decided to show them Last of the Mohicans tonight after a day hiking, since it was filmed not far from here.

Besides the general awesomeness of DDL plus Michael Mann and a great source material—  just so refreshing to see how this movie LOOKS.

- Filmed outside with good lighting and no mood filters.  The mountains, rocks, trees, water, sun, light all looks like what we saw today. 

- Kickass costuming and sets, the Huron village is a Huron village they built for the movie.  The costumes have color and bulk. The makeup looks like normal people who have been outside sweating and running around. 

- The battles and fight scenes are well-choreographed, easy to follow, and yet still manage to look real and chaotic with genuine smoke and fire.  

- Consistent sound all the way through, you can leave it on one volume and hear every word and never have your ears blown out. 

Granted this was a major-budget picture with a tier 1 director and the world’s best actor but DAMN.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a new movie that looks and feels this good and real.  Truly, we reached peak movie magic between about 1990-2000 and it’s been downhill since then. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Staying with the crew in a place near the quiet entry to the Great Smoky Mountains national park and decided to show them Last of the Mohicans tonight after a day hiking, since it was filmed not far from here.

Besides the general awesomeness of DDL plus Michael Mann and a great source material—  just so refreshing to see how this movie LOOKS.

- Filmed outside with good lighting and no mood filters.  The mountains, rocks, trees, water, sun, light all looks like what we saw today. 

- Kickass costuming and sets, the Huron village is a Huron village they built for the movie.  The costumes have color and bulk. The makeup looks like normal people who have been outside sweating and running around. 

- The battles and fight scenes are well-choreographed, easy to follow, and yet still manage to look real and chaotic with genuine smoke and fire.  

- Consistent sound all the way through, you can leave it on one volume and hear every word and never have your ears blown out. 

Granted this was a major-budget picture with a tier 1 director and the world’s best actor but DAMN.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a new movie that looks and feels this good and real.  Truly, we reached peak movie magic between about 1990-2000 and it’s been downhill since then. 

the Napoleon movie, for all the blowback about how it kinda sucked (and it did kinda suck), actually shone in these areas for me: the outdoor scenes and battle grounds were great and the wardrobe team should have won an Oscar. Costumes and wardrobe were really fantastic in appearance; robust and time-period/era fidelity.

42 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s funny, I was actually thinking of Napoleon as my comparison. It does well with costumes and fidelity but the whole movie is dark, drab, muddy.  Take a look at these two scenes:

whoa. I don't remember it being that dark and drabby in the theatre, but I stand corrected. That's awful.