Phatterson

Hanrahan

35 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Gary is very clearly doing free lance consulting work. Don’t blame him a bit. There are a lot of dollars available in CFB. 

Agree.   I wonder if he'll do TV work again. 

Coaches-Film-Room-780x405.png

His "ESPN’s Coaches Film Room" live simulcasts during past CFP's have been great to watch

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I remember his interview after leaving the 40 acres and I did not fail to notice something he said.

"But right now, I feel like I need to take some time for my wife, kids and grandkids while also looking to see if I can help college football on a larger scale.”

Wonder what he had in mind. Maybe it is bouncing around offering services to people he used to work with - like his stop at NMSU.

Edited by redswingline

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree.   I wonder if he'll do TV work again. 

Coaches-Film-Room-780x405.png

His "ESPN’s Coaches Film Room" live simulcasts during past CFP's have been great to watch

He’s done it twice, iirc. He’s been the alpha dog in the room every time. The other guys clearly defer to him. 

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

So who wants to hire Gare as a head coach??

giphy.gif

Since there should be about 5 or 6 top tier jobs open, this makes a ton of sense. I don't see aggy doing it, but would UCLA? I could see Arkansas or Miss State making a run at him. Hell, I wouldn't even count out Michigan State or Michigan if that were to open. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

Since there should be about 5 or 6 top tier jobs open, this makes a ton of sense. I don't see aggy doing it, but would UCLA? I could see Arkansas or Miss State making a run at him. Hell, I wouldn't even count out Michigan State or Michigan if that were to open. 

I would bet on Miss State. 

Said Patterson, “Now that I’ve had an opportunity to steal everything I could from Steve Sarkisian on how to design and execute a premier offense, I am ready to coach again.”

Translation of “ready to coach” - just like Mack Brown, Patterson has been begging for another head coaching job for awhile now, and in case anyone forgot about him, he’ll just make this statement in the press to see if any of these AD’s notice. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Said Patterson, “Now that I’ve had an opportunity to steal everything I could from Steve Sarkisian on how to design and execute a premier offense, I am ready to coach again.”

Translation of “ready to coach” - just like Mack Brown, Patterson has been begging for another head coaching job for awhile now, and in case anyone forgot about him, he’ll just make this statement in the press to see if any of these AD’s notice. 

I mean Mack Brown has done OK at UNC (Electric Bugaloo). Arkansas should be happy with those type of results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

MSU (both of them), Collie Station, UCLA?, Arky?, NU (aka Northwestern), many more to come - and I've read that some of these schools pay crazy money. Why wouldn't anyone in the coaching profession not look to cash up the food chain?

• Like 1

Patterson's timeline:
Aug 9, 2023 - want to spend more time with wife, kids, grandkids.
Nov 15, 2023 - ready to coach again.

After he and his wife see Jimbo's buyout: 3 months and 6 days was enough time with the family.  Get out there and make some more generational wealth. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

If Kleiman leaves K-State, I could see them hiring him.  He has a history there 

Patterson to KState is like a supermodel dating me.  No need for them to slum.

• Hook 'Em 1

Arky is perfect for him.  He got stale at TCU and his loyalty to assistants really kept him from reinventing the program again.  It will be very interesting to see if he can get his mojo back at another school.  He's a multiple national coach of the year winner, in 2009 and 2014.  His old school coaching may not be able to translate to NIL days, but he's had the time to figure some things out.  

I thought Corn would hire him last year.  He would have been perfect there also.  

7 hours ago, nnm said:

Arky is perfect for him.  He got stale at TCU and his loyalty to assistants really kept him from reinventing the program again.  It will be very interesting to see if he can get his mojo back at another school.  He's a multiple national coach of the year winner, in 2009 and 2014.  His old school coaching may not be able to translate to NIL days, but he's had the time to figure some things out.  

I thought Corn would hire him last year.  He would have been perfect there also.  

I would love to see Patterson at Arky with Holgerson as OC. 

actually, fuck that, no I wouldn’t. That might actually work. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Phatterson compensation mentioned in article about Cristobal    😋

"The previous record for total compensation paid to an athletics employee at a private university was TCU's Gary Patterson, who made $17.2 million in 2021, the year he departed the school. "

Article

Miami shelled out a ridiculous amount of money for Mario Cristobal in 2022

Getting the former 'Canes offensive tackle out of Oregon required a record-setting financial commitment.

ZACH BARNETT     APR 17, 2024

Miami made a major commitment in firing Manny Diaz to hire Mario Cristobal, and a year and a half later we're learning just how major of a commitment it was.

According to tax documents obtained by USA Today, Miami paid out $22.7 million in total compensation to Cristobal in 2022, the largest single-year payment to an athletics employee at any private university on record. Cristobal's figure fell narrowly behind former University of Pennsylvania president Amy Gutmann, who was credited with $22.8 million in compensation in 2021, but most of that was deferred compensation.

The previous record for total compensation paid to an athletics employee at a private university was TCU's Gary Patterson, who made $17.2 million in 2021, the year he departed the school. 

Of that nearly $23 million financial outlay, $7.7 million came in base pay and $14.9 million was in "other reportable compensation." Most of that $14.9 million in other compensation was the $9 million buyout Miami owed Oregon.

Cristobal's contract is a reported $80 million over 10 years. 

After going 35-13 with two Pac-12 championships in four seasons in Eugene, Cristobal is 12-13 in two seasons at Miami.