Phatterson

Hanrahan

I think he hangs at UT for awhile longer. If the team and the D continues to do really well, he'll be offered a HC gig at a blueblood program. If the team shits the bed, then he would be the top candidate at Texas. There are no Cons about continuing this gig that he has.
Not sure he wouldn't rather DC here instead of taking on a rebuild at a big name, or complete ground up job at a lesser school

Then again that could just be wishful thinking on my part, no idea what he's thinking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:05 PM, pops said:

Nah. Csb. I have a mutual friend with Patterson. He has no desire to be a head coach again. Hates nil and transfer. Has all the money he needs and loves Austin. He may be DC next year if sark cuts ties with pk but loves what he's doing and loves sark and is content putting his thumbprint on what could be a great run /csb.  

If this is even remotely true... what kind of coach pulls a guy like GP to be a $150k/yr analyst just because he "likes working with him?"

Exactly 0 of our previous coaches over the past 30 years. 

Starting to get a weird feeling this Sark hire might work out after all. It'll pass, most likely...

• Hook 'Em 1

Patterson is looking forward to coaching this defense in the SEC which supposedly prides itself for the defensive play.    This is the only way he’s going to coach one unless another HC job opens up in the SEC.    Not sure which job in the immediate future ( next two years) might be attractive in the SEC for a defensive mind.    aggy?     LSU and Kelly split early?     That’s about it because most of the other coaches in the league are on pretty solid ground right now.  

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

If this is even remotely true... what kind of coach pulls a guy like GP to be a $150k/yr analyst just because he "likes working with him?"

Starting to get a weird feeling this Sark hire might work out after all. It'll pass, most likely...

To be fair,  tcu is paying Patterson somewhere around 6 million a year (less the 150k Texas is paying him)  to be Texas' analyst.  I think he had 3 years left?   

I dont think Paterson would take a shit for 150k for anyone. But for now,  money doesn't seem to be an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Well 1st off, Patterson isn't being paid $150K, that's his offset from his TCU buyout. TCU is paying Patterson to make Texas a better defense and program.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's how I think Sark sees this playing out:  

1. Texas defense gets much better this year and 2023
  2. PK gets the credit for a much improved and talked about Texas D
  3. Middling program comes calling for a new HC and takes PK
  4. Patterson hired as new DC for Texas
  5. Profit

This way Sark doesn't have to fire PK and we get Patterson as a DC. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brock Sampson said:

5. Profit

Very possible it works out something like this....

28 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Very possible it works out something like this....

I suspect the various D Assistants work much better with Gary than with PK, simply because they were (allegedly) hired when we were expecting to have Coach Boom back in orange - GP and Boom are probably much closer in their approach than PK and anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brock Sampson said:

5. Profit

Love You Reaction GIF by Bounce

55 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I suspect the various D Assistants work much better with Gary than with PK, simply because they were (allegedly) hired when we were expecting to have Coach Boom back in orange - GP and Boom are probably much closer in their approach than PK and anyone.

yeah how many more things in the locker room has G-Pat destroyed than PK?

196mv4uqf58u0gif.gif

The defense isn't this much better solely because if Patterson. I'm sure he's helped but PK showed to be a DC who gets improvement once his players have a year to adjust to his coaching and a year into the system. Plus, we had bad apples on the team last year that had to leave first and bring in some guys like Watts who can play and had some experience at the college level. 

If we beat TCU will that be the first time we've ever beaten a team that has a statue on their campus of one of our coaching staff members?

How often has that happened anywhere in cfb?

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20220914-164347_kindlephoto-729503.png.a55ec54fba6202997208e04c1ddfed14.png

DKR

I dunno where your quote came from, but mine came from the big table in front of the bar at the Driskill, about 11:00 or so one night. I was there because one of my best friends was Night Manager for several years, before and after he got his BBA. There were probably six or eight people at the table. I was not at the table, I was sitting with my buddy, a few feet away, at the bar. I couldn't even tell you which year it was, but I think probably fall of '64. Darrell definitely said "men" and not "people", and he did not say "only".

8 hours ago, pops said:

To be fair,  tcu is paying Patterson somewhere around 6 million a year (less the 150k Texas is paying him)  to be Texas' analyst.  I think he had 3 years left?   

I dont think Paterson would take a shit for 150k for anyone. But for now,  money doesn't seem to be an issue. 

$6 million for TCU is very high, but if true then UT has GP for 2022, 2023 and 2024 (if that is the TCU buyout). 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

Late to this thread. Have avoided it historically because it's usually just haters ripping on Patterson for being sweaty and fat.

Glad to see him getting his due. What he accomplished at TCU was borderline miraculous. If he is in any way responsible for Texas' defensive scheme and performance versus 'Bama, I am not surprised.

Hope Gary sticks around and continues to rub off on the program, a la the bump Greg Robinson and Dick Tomey gave to the organization back in 2004.

• Hook 'Em 6

52 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

$6 million for TCU is very high, but if true then UT has GP for 2022, 2023 and 2024 (if that is the TCU buyout). 

I know the divorce wasn't amicable so I can't imagine he let them off the hook and I know his salary isn't public info but it was pretty widely reported that it was in the 6 million a year range. Now some of that could have been a personal services contract with a booster or group or whatever. But regardless,  tcu is paying a lot of money to GP to coach at Texas. 

17 hours ago, Rimbo said:

That's always been the one drawback to a potential Sarkisian regime at Texas. He's never struggled on the offensive side. It's always been putting together the entire program, read: defense, that hasn't totally clicked. That, and the, ahem, off-the-field issues for him. Just handle the program CEO role and keep pulling signal-callers like Ewers, Arch and so on and we'll be fantastic on offense, elite caliber. Just get somebody like Patterson to help run the other side and we could be in great freakin' shape moving forward, especially if the reports that GP doesn't want to be a HC again. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

... one report, in this thread, from a "mutual friend," which may change on a whim

Well, I believe it dammit. He's 62 and has more money than he'll ever need. I assume he's still in on some investment deals with some big swingin' dicks in Fort Worth. Plus, I would believe he's not a huge fan of where college football has gone from a HC standpoint (NIL, transfers, etc). I bumped into a guy at Eatzi's on Lovers the other night. He noticed my Texas shirt and started talking college football. Said he played at Arkansas in the early 90's. Apparently, his son played for GP at TCU -- said GP was a real asshole. Whatever, he's our asshole now and I like the dude. Arkansas guy tried to shift to politics -- "Man, the left is totally out of control!" or something like that and I quickly extricated myself from the conversation.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

That 2nd part is prob fan fiction but I want to believe.

This whole thread is fan fiction.

Gary Patterson is going to be cutting an album with Gary Clark Jr. and it's going to be called Gary. Supposed to take 8 years so GP will be doing Defense stuff on the side in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

when phatterson lost his DC dick bumpas to retirement, his defenses at tcwho started to suck ass. it took a couple years, but ya they slide downhill big time.

So, does that mean phatterson can't coach d? well, not exactly. as a defensive only guy, he doesn't have to worry about all the other shit involved with leading a program. He can just focus all of his energy on running around, yelling at people on defense and being fat.

• Haha 2

I met Patterson at a TCU coaches clinic a few years ago.  He made a joke about wishing he could just focus on X's and O's and wouldn't that be the dream to just coach defense.  It was in the context of dealing with recruiting and all that comes with running a program. 

I'd imagine he's quite happy right now.  Even being a DC somewhere would require him to go kiss up to 17 year old kids and their parents. Patterson is a pretty awkward dude. I'm sure he sees never having to do a home visit the way a college graduate sees never having to take a final exam again. 

10 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I thought PK was sort of inspired by GP early in his career and tried to mirror his defenses after GP's Defense at TCU when he was at Boise State?  Maybe Patterson is just the Master, more flexible in his approach (meaning he doesn't need all the pieces in place to create a good D),  and a better teacher...Either way, the 2 of them together seems to be working out well so far...Hope they can find a way to keep GP around...It could just be both of these guys have time to teach the players and bring the Assistant coaches up to speed since GP is doing the heavy lifting with the film study and game planning..

Edited by Azbadlands

On 9/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Patterson is looking forward to coaching this defense in the SEC which supposedly prides itself for the defensive play.    This is the only way he’s going to coach one unless another HC job opens up in the SEC.    Not sure which job in the immediate future ( next two years) might be attractive in the SEC for a defensive mind.    aggy?     LSU and Kelly split early?     That’s about it because most of the other coaches in the league are on pretty solid ground right now.  

Bryan Harsin may not exactly be on solid ground.  Don't know who would want to work for the nut jobs at Auburn though.

Edited by cochamps

Harsin is already gone, Auburn just needs to create an excuse.  They dumped their president and AD just to get to him.  It's a cesspool over there right now.  I don't think they can afford the buyout or he'd be gone.

15 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I don't know what your view of TCU is, but it's not.  TCU is the second richest private school in Texas behind Rice, and their athletics budget is closer to A&M than it is to Tech.

22 hours ago, pops said:

I know the divorce wasn't amicable so I can't imagine he let them off the hook and I know his salary isn't public info but it was pretty widely reported that it was in the 6 million a year range. Now some of that could have been a personal services contract with a booster or group or whatever. But regardless,  tcu is paying a lot of money to GP to coach at Texas. 

He was paid 6.2m in 2020 and 6.8m in 2021 (not including the buyout).

Edited by FrogFactor
  • Like 2