Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I didn’t really care for Samurai World.  It’s probably the first thing on the show I’ve disliked.  It just felt out of place, and last week’s stories were way more interesting than Maeve repeating what she already did last year but with Japanese robots instead.  I just wanted to get back to the mysteries.

I was more interested in the scenes with Dolores turning on Teddy, even though we knew it was coming.  It must for liberating for James Marsden to get to play evil Teddy for a few weeks.  Has he ever not played someone exactly like Teddy in anything he’s ever done?

Agree.  This was a good episode, but it's the first one this season that didn't have a 'wow!' factor.

So, Maeve's "power" is her tapping into the mesh network that links all the hosts that Bernard told the Delos people about, yes?

Are they building towards Maeve and Bernard crossing paths and "making a deal"?  She helps him eliminate most of the hosts to get the park back under control in exchange for her and her group's freedom from the park?

For every episode that gives you the "Holy Shit" moments, there's one like Shogun World that is required to "fill in the blanks" - Yes, Maeve has WiFi access to the core WW network and Bluetooth control over some of the other hosts; Yes, the story lines are essentially the same between WW and SW because of the lazy writer (that was actually kinda cool); and Yes, "Paint It Black" translates well to Gagaku.

... and for Teddy: 

bye.jpg

(except we see him again in the previews for next week -- but from Bernard, so we have ZERO CLUE which timeline that's on)

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

Anyone else have a feeling that Bernard woke up as Arnold at the lake?

Since first episode I've thought 2 weeks later bernard has been either teddy or boring dolores, I think it's a pretty safe bet now that he's got teddy's brain. 

Agree with the above - the shogun detour was kinda meh.  

Why was the shogun leaking fluid?  Was he injured?  I was kinda distracted during that part.  

I think the Westworld team thought he woke up as well - because he was not supposed to raid the town. However when they saw the leak they realized he was just broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I think the Westworld team thought he woke up as well - because he was not supposed to raid the town. However when they saw the leak they realized he was just broken

And that being broken was why Maeve couldn't control him.

Shogun World seems entirely populated by hosts, so it’s just a new group of enemies for Maeve and her crew to fight for an hour. I didn’t feel like that part of the overall plot advanced very much.

It felt a little disjointed skipping between Maeve and Dolores with just a brief glimpse of Bernard.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I didn't watch very closely last night.  But it looked like the only casualties in Shogun World were either fellow hosts or a mid-size Delos security detail.  

Other question-I accept that they purchased a mid-sized island in the China Sea.  Presumably even had to relocate some people off of it, then terraform the shit out of it, to give it at least three distinct geographic zones we know of at this point (ColonialWorld, WestWorld, ShogunWorld), plus vast coastline areas and presumably some ops/staging areas.  I accept all that because TV.  What I don't get is how the weather can change so drastically from one zone to another.  You can force precipitation, even snow.  But going from blazing heat to near freezing temps over the course of a couple of miles?  

The map of Shogun is also the same general layout, which that main town being the same relative location of Sweetwater in Westworld.

On the Delos site the map will glitch and show another route on the ShogunWorld map that leads down in the same general area as Pariah and Fort Forlorn Hope in Westworld. I dunno if that is foreshadowing anything or not.

Yeah, I didn't watch very closely last night.  But it looked like the only casualties in Shogun World were either fellow hosts or a mid-size Delos security detail.   Other question-I accept that they purchased a mid-sized island in the China Sea.  Presumably even had to relocate some people off of it, then terraform the shit out of it, to give it at least three distinct geographic zones we know of at this point (ColonialWorld, WestWorld, ShogunWorld), plus vast coastline areas and presumably some ops/staging areas.  I accept all that because TV.  What I don't get is how the weather can change so drastically from one zone to another.  You can force precipitation, even snow.  But going from blazing heat to near freezing temps over the course of a couple of miles?  

I get you. They seem too close together to me as well. However, to play devils advocate you could easily say Shogun world is at a higher elevation.

The scenery reminds me of Northern Arizona. It can get damn cold in Flagstaff - which is only 30 miles or so from Sedona.

Since first episode I've thought 2 weeks later bernard has been either teddy or boring dolores, I think it's a pretty safe bet now that he's got teddy's brain. 

That’s fucking interesting man....did we see Bernard give them any info during this timeline that only he or Ford would know? Or info that Teddy would have no way of knowing? I can’t remember

Also, are we to assume that Ford was as Intimately involved in SW and the other parks as he was with WW?

Guest Lobo
8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We've also seen Ford terraforming areas to suit his narratives. 

I mentioned the terraforming, I accept that's possible even on such a vast scale.  But the confusing part to me is that Mesa tower deal where last season the WestWorld hosts stumbled right into a ShogunWorld service area.  I sorta pictured this vast circular or pentagon shaped tower (that's what she said) that could push hosts/equipment/security/even guests out into the myriad parks from one central staging area.  In which case, it'd be really hard to have such distinct climate zones even with large-scale terraforming.  But yeah, elevations and stuff.  They seem to go to a lot of trouble to enforce the notion that they are still bound by the immutable laws of physics (you can fall down canyons, get dehydrated, a guest can't kill another guest but they can certainly injure them, fire still needs oxygen, rainfall can cause issues, etc.  But anyway, small matter.  What I'm more interested with though is how that one staging area where at least two of the worlds "begin"...can that be accessed by anything else than just walking in from the park or the monorail from the future?  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I mentioned the terraforming, I accept that's possible even on such a vast scale.  But the confusing part to me is that Mesa tower deal where last season the WestWorld hosts stumbled right into a ShogunWorld service area.  I sorta pictured this vast circular or pentagon shaped tower (that's what she said) that could push hosts/equipment/security/even guests out into the myriad parks from one central staging area.  In which case, it'd be really hard to have such distinct climate zones even with large-scale terraforming.  But yeah, elevations and stuff.  They seem to go to a lot of trouble to enforce the notion that they are still bound by the immutable laws of physics (you can fall down canyons, get dehydrated, a guest can't kill another guest but they can certainly injure them, fire still needs oxygen, rainfall can cause issues, etc.  But anyway, small matter.  What I'm more interested with though is how that one staging area where at least two of the worlds "begin"...can that be accessed by anything else than just walking in from the park or the monorail from the future?  

You might be overthinking this...maybe

• Like 2

They'll just pop through a door and end up in Westeros 

Imagine the series finale of GoT - Dany and Jon vs the Night King vs Cersei. Shit is getting crazy, then all of a sudden Bernard walks in and says “Freeze all motor functions”. We then realize Westeros was a theme park and Bronn and Tyrion are the guests.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Imagine the series finale of GoT - Dany and Jon vs the Night King vs Cersei. Shit is getting crazy, then all of a sudden Bernard walks in and says “Freeze all motor functions”. We then realize Westeros was a theme park and Bronn and Tyrion are the guests.

Called this after S1E1.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You might be overthinking this...maybe

I realize and acknowledge it fully.  It's just they go through so much fucking trouble to show us the laws of the Earth apply (with a little techno-twist to bullets and blades here and there).  And the weather is so flexible.  It's not so much my point the weather as it is, so much stems from that control tower that seems to spit out to each park from the same central place.  I wonder what role that will have going forward.  All that to say, this season is better than last although last night was a bit of a lull.  It also looks like another 60 minutes of Dolores beating to death the zenith of her character arc next week.  Still, this has been great stuff...just enough eye candy and just enough esoteric diatribe...

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Holy shit, that would be so funny that the dissatisfaction would be worth it. 

That would make all the post-Sopranos teeth gnashing look like nothing. 

23 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Pretty sharp. Quote from the preview for next week: “the cradle is fighting back”

It was originally “the cats in the cradle,” butt Harry Chapin’s estate nixed it