The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

14 hours ago, Nivek said:

possible, but in the Clone Wars there were factions of the Mandos that aligned with the Imperials.  

Yeah really the deal with Mandos all along is that there are always multiple factions with varying allegiances fighting each other.

9 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I was no joke expecting Lizzo to bust out a crystal flute solo at some point.

I think they actually had the background music as one of her flute solos at one point.

It was a fun clone wars like episode but even the new rockstarss YouTube channel said it was a bit much 

Maybe they can actually write something decent for Rey and give Finn a plot that doesn't make him Mr. Friendzone. I believe this was the film that Damon Lindelof was writing a script for but he wasn't happy with how it turned out so he left the project. The writer of Peaky Blinders took over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Maybe they can actually write something decent for Rey and give Finn a plot that doesn't make him Mr. Friendzone. I believe this was the film that Damon Lindelof was writing a script for but he wasn't happy with how it turned out so he left the project. The writer of Peaky Blinders took over. 

They’ll probably give Filoni an EP credit to calm the masses. Meanwhile, Dave will probably be sitting on a beach in his dumb ass cowboy hat. Nice work if you can get it. 

We should have gotten a young Leia training with Luke sequel. Instead we got fucking Rey/Kyle Ren/Paps bullshit. I understand it’s hard to recast iconic actors, but the overcorrection damn near killed the franchise. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Lizzo, Black, and Lloyd were so bad that the episode could never come back from it.

Agreed there were some interesting elements to it. Namely that planet basically functioned like the ship in Wall-E. 

I thought the fight/passing of the Darksaber was very ham-fisted. 

It’a a great show. They’ll do better next week. Move on. 

58 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Goddamn yall are a bunch of whiny bitch ass pussies. From the beginning this show established it's rhythm and yall still whine about it every week. 

I'm not one of the haters of this episode, but I get where they are coming from. The Mandalorian was supposed to be a space western. Which is awesome. It isn't anymore. I'm a Filoni fan boy after Clone Wars and Rebels, so I'll keep watching regardless. But I get the frustration for those who thought they were getting something else.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m somewhat interested in all three of those concepts, but gotta be honest I really don’t see the box office market treating them favorably. 

I’m always going to be hopeful that new SW content is good, but that Rey movie has a tough hill to climb. This doesn’t give me hope:

f87bce76dc529f4bbe5ef2f3414d543c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m always going to be hopeful that new SW content is good, but that Rey movie has a tough hill to climb. This doesn’t give me hope:

Her Ms. Marvel episodes were fine.  She's not producing or writing it, and it's not a trilogy that was not written as a trilogy, and she's not ruining the ending to ROTJ or bringing back Palpatine, so the bar is extremely low at this point.

Hell, we have Carl Weathers directing Mandolorian episodes going back to the first season. 

I'd be more worried about who is producing and writing it.

Edit: In fact, as long as she doesn't shit on the original trilogy like JJ Abrams did, and as long as Palpatine doesn't come back, I'll consider it a success.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not one of the haters of this episode, but I get where they are coming from. The Mandalorian was supposed to be a space western. Which is awesome. It isn't anymore. I'm a Filoni fan boy after Clone Wars and Rebels, so I'll keep watching regardless. But I get the frustration for those who thought they were getting something else.

This is almost every Star Wars complaint boiled down into two sentences... generally the "problem" is that fans judge the shows based on what they THINK they should be, not what they actually are.

Mandalorian wasn't "supposed to be a space western." It was supposed to be Star Wars. That's it.  And Star Wars sometimes borrows from Westerns. And Samurai movies. And spy movies. And war movies. And mythology. And religion. And on and on and on.  It's ALL of those things and very often people don't like it when it veers away from the influences they like into the influences they don't like.

This season of Mando is leaning HARD into Mandalorian mythology. It's like a classic 5-6 episode story arc of Clone Wars that leans hard into some very obscure and specific part of Star Wars lore. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I think the success of Andor proves that these small boxes some put Star Wars fans into, or even naming such a group as if they're monolithic, is meaningless.

The Mandolorian will fail because it is no longer entertaining the numbers of people it once did - simple as that. It's fate has nothing to do with "Star Wars fans," because that is a group that doesn't exist as such.

Disney is having a creative crisis across the board. The current and continued suffering of their Star Wars properties are some of a much longer list of symptoms.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's like this is y'all's first Filoni show or something, just hang in there. He delivers the goods. 

The Clone Wars was pretty rough until like midway season 3, and then it's some of the best Star Wars content out there and greatly deepens and expands the universe. Same thing with rebels but just season 1 was meh. 

There's gonna be ups and downs, and sometimes you get a miss of an episode. But what were getting is still head and shoulders above anything like what we used to get for star wars content and expansion 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Her Ms. Marvel episodes were fine.  She's not producing or writing it, and it's not a trilogy that was not written as a trilogy, and she's not ruining the ending to ROTJ or bringing back Palpatine, so the bar is extremely low at this point.

Damn straight on your edit. 

“Somehow, Palpatine has returned…again. To be granted release from Force Pergatory, Luke teaches Rey that the true cause of the Jedi downfall was toxic masculinity. She must establish a female-only Jedi order, and struggles with the status of trans and non-binary padawans. Finn finally gets laid, but it’s with Poe Dameron.”

• Drool 1

Not since Navy Seals movie have I seen such a badly depicted melee between a man and a woman with the woman emerging stupidly victorious.  It wasn't any Jedi shit, just straight up battle.  Anyone this side of the flannel/Subaru/WNBA crowd just rolled their eyes.

Yeah storytelling, but come the fuck on.

Edited by slorch

53 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not since Navy Seals movie have I seen such a badly depicted melee between a man and a woman with the woman emerging stupidly victorious.  It wasn't any Jedi shit, just straight up battle.  Anyone this side of the flannel/Subaru/WNBA crowd just rolled their eyes.

Yeah storytelling, but come the fuck on.

G.I. Jane? The one where Demi Moore gets beat to a bloody pulp? The actual fuck are you talking about?

55 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think he's talking about the Bo Katan/Axe Wolf fight?

Right, but he's comparing it to a scene in a "Navy Seals" movie. Not a lot of prominent females in movies about Seals, except G.I. Jane, who gets her ass kicked for 2 hours. So I assume he must be referring to the black female leader in Without Remorse who wins a fight or two (I don't remember a single second of that movie, so who knows)? Or, he's talking about the Navy Seals movie from 1990, and he's held a 30 year grudge about an unrealistic female fight scene in a movie where Charlie Sheen plays an elite commando.

slorch, I have to know!

Edited by aggie08
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think he's talking about the Bo Katan/Axe Wolf fight? Or maybe Rey/Kylo? Who knows, it's slorch. 

I am, and yes, I misremembered the title of the idiotic movie where Demi Moore is the ass kicker.  GI Jane.

Point remains, no chick is winning that fight with a battle,  hardened soldier.  This is the part where reality trumps bullshit fantasies that plague some in our society.

It's a dumb premise.

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Point remains, no chick is winning that fight with a battle,  hardened soldier.  This is the part where reality trumps bullshit fantasies that plague some in our society.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Next thing you know, they are going to introduce some bullshit magic system that allows little muppets to levitate spaceships out of swamps with their minds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am, and yes, I misremembered the title of the idiotic movie where Demi Moore is the ass kicker.  GI Jane.

It's a dumb premise.

You’re a dumb premise. Jesus Christ, and you people complain the other side injects politics and stuff into everything, while you’re busy turning over every rock to find it where it doesn’t need to exist.

It’s a fucking show about space wizards. Shut the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1