The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Andor is the one that doesn’t feel like Star Wars, not mandelorian.  There was always a hokeyness to SW.  andor is more like blade runner or something. 

Andor had some major cyberpunk vibes, especially with the sections on Narkina V with the synth soundtrack. Andor was the exception to star wars normal tropes and even frequently directly contrasted with some of the most iconic lines from the OT. Mando is awesome, but is also a continuation of the core star wars storyline

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I'd argue it's always had that. We just didn't have Andor before it to show us a different way you could write Star Wars. This has always been a live action version of Clone Wars and Rebels. 

F***ing this. It's Filoni's show. This is who is. It's a kids show that adults can enjoy. 

If you want some Ridley Scott type shit, watch Andor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'd argue it's always had that. We just didn't have Andor before it to show us a different way you could write Star Wars. This has always been a live action version of Clone Wars and Rebels. 

This. It's always been stilted acting and over-exposition adventures of the week in a cool universe. Break ship, fix ship, upgrade ship, get back to ship, lose ship, find ship, explode ship, build new ship. The underlying "get baby Yoda to the Jedis" storyline just held the disjointed episodic chapters together better than whatever it is the Mandalorians are doing.

That's why I'm really interested in Skelton Crew and The Acolyte. I don't think either will have to conform to existing Star Wars narratives. I'm sure Skelton Crew will be fairly cheesy with kid actors but The Acolyte is billed as a thriller detective type story. I think Ahsoka will be similar to Mando as it's a continuation of the same Filoni universe. That's fine because I loved Rebels and it heavily will feature those characters. But it will be similar storytelling to what we're getting now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That's why I'm really interested in Skelton Crew and The Acolyte. I don't think either will have to conform to existing Star Wars narratives. I'm sure Skelton Crew will be fairly cheesy with kid actors but The Acolyte is billed as a thriller detective type story. I think Ahsoka will be similar to Mando as it's a continuation of the same Filoni universe. That's fine because I loved Rebels and it heavily will feature those characters. But it will be similar storytelling to what we're getting now. 

There’s room for shows with different vibes and themes. All for it 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

F***ing this. It's Filoni's show. This is who is. It's a kids show that adults can enjoy. 

I mean I’m going to watch it because again it’s space fantasy I’m not expecting a lot. But dialogue, acting, ,storyline, and shit even cinematography are all objectively worse and leaning more towards Boba production than it is previous Mando seasons. It’s season 4 though, drop off is expected. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean I’m going to watch it because again it’s space fantasy I’m not expecting a lot. But dialogue, acting, and storyline are all objectively worse and leaning more towards Boba production than it is previous Mando seasons. It’s season 4 though, drop off is expected. 

Who wants to tell him? 

• Haha 2

I would temper expectations my Empire Strikes Back/Rogue One/Andor guys. Y'all certainly have good taste, but that's not Filoni. Watch Rebels. That's Dave. He had to go somewhat dark on Clone Wars to cast out Ahsoka and kind of show Anakin go bad. 

Twilight of the Apprentice is Filoni's greatest achievement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Man, this season is a mess so far. Reversion back to the cheesy Star Wars norm. I’m not generally hyper critical because it’s space fantasy but the previous Mando seasons and Andor have shifted my perspective I guess. 

I went back and watched the very first episode after I watched this one. Better acting, more grit, a much more “lived in” world with more extras (the entire population of planet Nevarro looked like less than 100 people in this last one). Mando with more emotion and urgency in his voice.

I’m still watching but the vibe has changed.

His point is that the vibe and quality have changed within a single Filoni series. He’s not comparing it to other series.

And I agree with him.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

His point is that the vibe and quality have changed within a single Filoni series. He’s not comparing it to other series.

And I agree with him.

This. I respect the stylistic differences while also thinking the execution has been substandard. Has jumping straight from Andor into the shit show that was Boba then into this jaded me towards that stylistic difference? Very well could have, but it still feels worse to me.

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Andor is the one that doesn’t feel like Star Wars, not mandelorian.  There was always a hokeyness to SW.  andor is more like blade runner or something. 

Regular Star Wars can be corny/cheesy like Xena:

lucy lawless GIF

or 1980s Dungeons and Dragons cartoons

Dungeons-Dragons-cartoon.jpg?fit=930,%2B

Meanwhile, Andor is Game of Thrones.

Game Of Thrones Hbo GIF

Wait, I'm not sure where I was going with this.

Something about most Star Wars shows so far have been optimistic while Andor went full-on nihilism or something.

• Drool 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:50 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Skeleton Crew would probably be on Nickelodeon 10 years ago. It's an interesting concept. If it's better than Star Wars Resistance. I'll be happy. 

Acolyte should be bad ass and will touch on a period of time that has never been seen film. 

Holy shit, you actually watched resistance?  Even my kids didn’t want to watch after 2 or 3 episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, Js1 said:

There’s room for shows with different vibes and themes. All for it 

SOOOOOOOO much this.

This is one of the great things about Star Wars. I loved the shit out of Andor but I’m also loving the shit out of Mando. Both are really good at what they are trying to do.

Andor is a 1970s spy/Cold War movie set in Star Wars, which is fucking awesome.

As someone said above, Mando is basically a live-action extension of the Filoni shows and I’m here for that as well.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Buzzrock said:

I went back and watched the very first episode after I watched this one. Better acting, more grit, a much more “lived in” world with more extras (the entire population of planet Nevarro looked like less than 100 people in this last one). Mando with more emotion and urgency in his voice.

I’m still watching but the vibe has changed.

LOL that wasn’t supposed to be the “entire population of the planet of Navarro”… it was supposed to be what was left of the city after the aerial bombardment from the pirate guy.

And it looks less “lived in” and less “gritty” because the idea is that the city/planet/etc. was “cleaned up” and got a big infusion of money once the Imperial Remenant was driven away and Grief was in charge.

I mean they literally talked about that in the first episode when Mando even commented about Navarro being “nice” all of a sudden.

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL that wasn’t supposed to be the “entire population of the planet of Navarro”… it was supposed to be what was left of the city after the aerial bombardment from the pirate guy.

And it looks less “lived in” and less “gritty” because the idea is that the city/planet/etc. was “cleaned up” and got a big infusion of money once the Imperial Remenant was driven away and Grief was in charge.

I mean they literally talked about that in the first episode when Mando even commented about Navarro being “nice” all of a sudden.

image.gif.841f895d0d5a1c328ed3d4e0a76ad306.gif

• Like 1

That was a very "Clone Wars" episode.  Was surprised that Favreau wrote and BDH directed that one, because it sure felt like Filoni all over.  Agree that JB, Lizzo, and Lloyd were fun.  It felt a bit like filler, but everything made sense to get to the final part of the episode that moved the season arc forward.  I enjoyed it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lol y'all take star wars too seriously. It's science fantasy. It's gonna occasionally be fantastical! Getting Lizzo and Jack Black into star wars as the benevolent democratically elected monarchs of a slave droid labor driven society is just weird and wacky world building too lol

Definitely a Filoni-y Clone Wars-y episode, but goddamnit I love sugary breakfast cereal! It's fun having fun with a vibrant Star Wars universe, I was half worried we were gonna go back to canto bight based on the episode description 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1