Texas WRs

victory88

The NFL has moved more towards ‘quick twitch’ WRs in the last couple of drafts. They don’t seem to be as obsessed with big bodied WRs as the did when the WCO was dominant.

Teams like Chi and KC are focusing their targets on smaller fast guys (like Tarik Cohen and Hill) or TEs that look like big WRs.

I think Collin draft chances will hinge on how he tests in things like the 3 cone and the shuttle.

He’s shown this season that he can use his body and make tough catches across the middle. It would be good for him to show he can make some more plays in space.

I expect Collin and Lil’J to be back next season. Between those two, the talent we have coming in, and Sam’s continued development - holy shit.
Colin Johnson and Lil Jordan Humphrey are bigger and faster than Deandre Hopkins.

The Dallas Cowboys would kick your mom to get a guy like LJH... The Saints and Panthers would go nuts for CJ...

Don't think about trends inn the league. Think about teams.

Your post sounds like you think Heard is the more coveted NFL WR. He is the quick twitch slot... (Somebody will take him, but late or udfa)
  • Like 1

LJH is the clear best receiver on the team. CJ has always had the most talent and is now showing that consistently. LJH is my favorite player, on a team where I have lots of favorites: Ingram, Sam, Gary, Jones, and Sterns. And now CJ with his renewed attitude. Loved what I saw yesterday out of him. 

So is Mehringer a good coach now? I mean most of our WR played like crap last year and he was responsible. They are balling this year, so who gets the credit other than the players.

Also, it could be addition by subtraction (Foreman). Where is his bitch daddy these days.

Edited by ckhorn

So is Mehringer a good coach now? I mean most of our WR played like crap last year and he was responsible. They are balling this year, so who gets the credit other than the players.
Also, it could be addition by subtraction (Foreman). Where is his bitch daddy these days.

I’d give more credit to the S&C program than the wr coach.

Daddy Foreman admitted on Twitter he was wrong about Herman. He manned up.

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

Colin Johnson and Lil Jordan Humphrey are bigger and faster than Deandre Hopkins.

Oh Christ. 

First of all I doubt they are faster. Even if they are in a straight line, neither of them are as explosive or quick as Nuk. 

To add to that, Deandre has elite ball skills, route running, and pound for pound is clearly stronger than either of them.

Hopkins is one of the best receivers in NFL history. pump the brakes. 

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

The Dallas Cowboys would kick your mom to get a guy like LJH... The Saints and Panthers would go nuts for CJ...

Don't think about trends inn the league. Think about teams.

Your post sounds like you think Heard is the more coveted NFL WR. He is the quick twitch slot... (Somebody will take him, but late or udfa)

no, they aren't faster than Hopkins. lol

Oh Christ. 
First of all I doubt they are faster. Even if they are in a straight line, neither of them are as explosive or quick as Nuk. 
To add to that, Deandre has elite ball skills, route running, and pound for pound is clearly stronger than either of them.

Hopkins is one of the best receivers in NFL history. pump the brakes. 

Being pound for pound stronger isn’t what he said.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Being pound for pound stronger isn’t what he said.

Right. It's what I said. Because that's what matters in the NFL. You can't teach height, but you don't need height to be a brick of a football player. 

LJH having a few inches and pounds on Nuk doesn't mean shit. 

OBJ - 5'11"

AB - 5'10"

Tyreek - 5'10"

Brandin Cooks (LA1) - 5'11"

Robert Woods (LA2) - 6'0"

Desean Jackson - 5'10"

The NFL has diversified, but they haven't abandoned conventional WRs to field 3-4 slots.  Flex Slots still very much exist as well, but the better teams have TEs capable of that role.

An NFL spread wants the same defender on Gronk/Witten on one play then Welker/Beasely the next with conventional guys (speedy Moss or possession Dez) on the outside.

Edited by JBJ

I don't see how LJ is anything other than highly coveted by the NFL.  He's got excellent measurables and his intangibles are ridiculous.  Humphrey's work ethic, physicality and ability to find the soft spot in a zone defense are all very valuable traits - even in the NFL.  Sure the prototype pendulum has swung back to smaller, quicker players at the position.  That doesn't mean the league is going to ignore a player of LJ's caliber.

12 hours ago, ckhorn said:

I figure moving Meekins to WRs had an effect as well.

Burt has about as much talent as LJH and Johnson -- he is an absolutely explosive athlete. If only he could catch the ball. 

His hands were improved last season, he didn’t have many opportunities. He had one catch that was wiped out by penalty too. I’d kinda like to see him take a RS and try for some pt next season.

55 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Posted this over in the Press Conference thread - LJH is on pace for 70 catches and just over 1000 yards.  Last Longhorn WR to do that was Jordan Shipley in 2009.  Hell of a season Lil'Jordan is putting together.

John Harris also broke the 1,000-yard ceiling in 2014 with 68 catches. He bailed Swoopes out so many times that year.

LJH should be a first round pick.  Scouts might be sleeping on him now but if he declares he's guaranteed a combine invite because he is a freak athlete with crazy measurables.  The scouts will eventually catch up.  He reminds me of Travis Kelce.  Don't let his whiteness fool you, Kelce is a freak athlete as well and KC uses him as more of a slot than a traditional hand on the ground tight end.

CJ could leave early and get picked for sure.  I don't think he will go first round but it would not shock me if he continues to play great and gets screen time in a conference championship and bowl game.

It seems like already that CJ is a possible second or third round pick, and the better he plays, the more he will move up.  I think there is a fair chance he is gone next year, but Texas is not lacking at WR so they should ok I think if he leaves.  If the team wins 10+ games and he plays well, he should leave to be honest.  CJ leaving and being selected high might hurt a little bit in the short team, but you want guys getting drafted high for long-term success.  For many truly elite recruits/players, seeing a track record of NFL success under a program is gigantic as an influence factor.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, Rex Kramer said:

LJH is the clear best receiver on the team. CJ has always had the most talent and is now showing that consistently. LJH is my favorite player, on a team where I have lots of favorites: Ingram, Sam, Gary, Jones, and Sterns. And now CJ with his renewed attitude. Loved what I saw yesterday out of him. 

So much this.

i have favored players again. Jesus. Happy day

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, XYZ said:
44 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do6N07pUcAADnpI.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Stop posting the same fucking thing on every thread.

Yeah, @Machinator  Stop being easily the best poster on this site, bringing outside content here for us to review and discuss!  What the fuck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

WALTER FOOTBALL 2019 MOCK DRAFT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019charlie.php

2nd Rd...... #40 Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars: Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

The Jaguars grab a replacement for Allen Robinson. 

Johnson has 65 catches for 945 yards and seven touchdowns this season. He flashed in 2017 with 54 receptions for 765 yards and two touchdowns. Johnson is a long and linear receiver who has some athleticism. He can sink his hips better than one would expect for such a tall player. Surprisingly, Johnson (6-5, 220) doesn't play jump balls that well for being such a big wide receiver. He has issues tracking the ball and playing it in the air, but he has some movement skills for a larger wideout.

3rd Rd......... #74 Pick

Cleveland Browns: Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas

The Browns could use more receiving weapons for Baker Mayfield. 

Humphrey has 79 receptions for 1,109 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018. As a sophomore, he totaled 37 catches for 431 yards and one touchdown. Team sources say they think Humphrey has the ability to contribute despite his lack of speed. They like that he is a fighter and competitor who is good for yards after the catch. Humphrey (6-4, 225) will use his size to go up and win on contested catches. He is a heavier receiver and put together well. However, Humphrey does have some serious off-the-field concerns.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:48 AM, Thujone said:

I can't remember a more physical group of receivers/TEs than our four primaries of CJ LJH DD and Beck. And it all seemed to come together for the group within the last 2-3 games.

I agree.  Won’t happen but if this group all returned,  I thinkTexas could seriously contend for NC next year especially, if everyone stayed healthy.  But if and buts were candy and nuts.....