Thursday night Big 12: Texas Tech vs TCU

Longboard Horn

Just now, satyanash said:

Tech has allowed 7 points total in the second half of the last THREE games combined.

They have a defence.

Yep. Gibbs has finally put something respectable on the field. They have two conference road wins now. You need defense to win on the road. 

Looking like a 3 team Big 12 race (OU, WV and Texas). Sorry, I still don't believe in Tech with only 1 loss in the Big 12.  Beat WV and we will almost certainly make the Big 12 championship game barring some real fuckery.
This. Tech still got throttled by a very average Ole Miss team. We've all seen TCU shit the bed this year, with it going full blown football diarrhea tonight. The rest of the conference is similarly mediocre. Honestly I'm not a kool aid drinker but at this point anything less than 8-1 in the B12 in this most down of down years would be a failure at this point. We aren't THAT good but half the league is THAT shitty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Tech has allowed 7 points total in the second half of the last THREE games combined.

They have a defence.

I don't know why you think Tech's defense is good. They were 101st in defensive S&P + coming into this game. They just gave up 411 total yards to a team that couldn't execute all night. The only thing that kept Tech in this game is the fact Shawn Robinson is god awful and turns the ball over. 

3 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Tech has a couple of NFL players on defense (Allen, Johnson) and a good freshman (Frye). Their offense is overrated and we are going to destroy them. TCU really does blow this year though. Glad we played them when they were ranked.

Our offense is a disaster if Bowman isn't playing. If he is, could be dangerous for just about anyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

So are you just pretending that 96 points given up to cougar High and Ole Miss just didn’t happen?

Are we the same team that lost to Maryland? No. Teams improve and TTU has, just as we have. 

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Tech's defense might have improved but they are far from being good defensively. Unless ignoring almost every defensive metric is your thing. 

It's important to note that in the Ole Miss game we basically did not have a secondary. That is, we were playing 2nd and 3rd stringers due to injury and they have one of the best receiving corps in the country. It did not line up very well. Also on the other side we've had to change our offense like 4 different times this season but it basically all hinges on Bowman being able to play because he's so far beyond the best option at QB right now it's a little ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's important to note that in the Ole Miss game we basically did not have a secondary. That is, we were playing 2nd and 3rd stringers due to injury and they have one of the best receiving corps in the country. It did not line up very well. Also on the other side we've had to change our offense like 4 different times this season but it basically all hinges on Bowman being able to play because he's so far beyond the best option at QB right now it's a little ridiculous.

yeah, but this game doesn't tell me much about Tech's defense. 

TCU still put up 411 yards of total offense and they were shit most of the night. Maybe Tech's defense can continue to force a billion turnovers but that isn't likely. Turnovers are the great equalizer and lucky for Tech they ran into one of the worst teams in the nation when it comes to turning the ball over. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU had 411 yards of total offense. They lost this because of self-inflicted mistakes. 

sounds familiar, Texas game.  The TCU QB is a disaster. 

That Tech 3rd string QB is probaly one of the better 3rd stringers in the country, I'd say he's top 10. 

Edited by NowThis
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Either Texas is better than we think.
TCU is worse than we think.
Tech is better than we think.
TCUs o line is just shit.
Techs dline is better than we think.

All of the above.

Definitely 2 and 4, maybe 3, and can’t judge 5 because of 4. TCU’s offense looks straight horribad (how in the world did they put 28 on tOSU?) As for 1, I’ll say making Roach tapout, winning in Manhatten (our house of horrors), and packing OUsux’s fudge tells me we’re pretty good at this point. Getting better, though  

Give Tech credit, though. Kliffy seemed to make adjustments at halftime, whereas TCU opted to continue with diarrhea. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

It's weird to be in a position where we actually have an interest in rooting for certain teams in the conference to look good, but I can't help but think TCU losing this game is bad.  I just had this impression that they would win 9 games this year and be a quality win.  Don't have the same confidence that Tech can fill that role.

Still... nice to see Patterson lose.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He could have played this week but they held him out as a precaution. Collapsed lung recovery is like a week, maybe 2 at most.

No. He is not cleared for contact. His estimated timeline is 2-10 weeks. He is into that span but needs to have his lung fully recovered before green lighted.

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This. Tech still got throttled by a very average Ole Miss team. We've all seen TCU shit the bed this year, with it going full blown football diarrhea tonight. The rest of the conference is similarly mediocre. Honestly I'm not a kool aid drinker but at this point anything less than 8-1 in the B12 in this most down of down years would be a failure at this point. We aren't THAT good but half the league is THAT shitty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Teams are not monolithic entities. They are capable of getting better as the season progresses. 

We of all fans should understand this. But then again, 97% of college football fans are total fucking idiots. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, hornian said:

But do they have a defense?

Lel

Tech doesn't have a defense btw. They will get schemed on then wore the fuck out by a real offense. TCU has been playing sloppy sweaty Fatterson football this year.

I enjoyed all the announcers shuddering and mentioning "Texas... errr...  TCU with the ball" it's like they dont know what it stands for or they have realised Texas is the only Texas and the other teams are aggy, tech, froggy, rapelor, cougar high, and HOOT HOOT rice Owls.