Is it possible D.J. Durkin remains HC at Maryland?

C-Man

if the dude had just died after everything was done properly it would have been one thing

if the dude had died and it was the trainers that did not do their job properly after the corch turned the player fully over to them and said "do your trainer jobs and make sure he gets what he needs" there would possibly be a reason to consider keeping him

when it turns out that the coach is just a fuck head and does weird ass dumb shit for discipline and motivation and players think he is a dick and abusive well fuck "here is the door".....if you have to take 8 weeks+ to investigate something like a player death well shit someone probably needs to be fired never mind all the dickhead weird ass "motivational" bullshit 

1 minute ago, Sleepygrad said:

what a terrible look for the Maryland BOR...it's like nobody pays attention to how things get handled at Penn St, Baylor, and Ohio St and see the public backlash....this was a no brainer that they fucked up and the public backlash forced them to change course. Idiots.

That's a fair criticism, but at this point you need to give them credit for not conducting their meetings in blackface and hastily renaming the athletic facilities 'The Hydration Station.'  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

How in the evening fuck the Maryland BOR thought retaining him was going to pass was  was we may never know. I'm glad for their program he's gone, but most especially for McNair and his family.

Loh looks like the only one with half a clue there.  

How the BOR made that decision without at least lifting a finger to wind beforehand suggests that they collectively don't have a clue.  The media was already revolting.  You knew the faculty would revolt.  Yet the BOR acts like they're running Auburn instead of an AAU school and supports a shitty football program (and idiot athletic director) over any semblance of common sense.  How?  Those clowns need to be cleaned out ASAP.

2 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

The BOR has not necessarily changed course yet. They told Loh to bring the coach back, or be fired. Loh first went along and HE changed his mind. The BOR has not rescinded their threat to fire him, afaik.

Doesn’t matter, Loh is retiring 

10 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

The BOR has not necessarily changed course yet. They told Loh to bring the coach back, or be fired. Loh first went along and HE changed his mind. The BOR has not rescinded their threat to fire him, afaik.

Loh acted alone in deciding to fire Durkin, a source told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, not consulting the board of regents. 

According to sources, it's possible the board of regents will try to retaliate against Loh, whom they have the authority to fire. But Loh, who has already announced he will be stepping down in June, has strong support from Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and other influential politicians around the state, who criticized the board in recent days.

It seems like Loh got a feel for public perception of the situation and decided to play chicken with the board.  Good for him, smart move.  Can you imagine if they fire him after this?  They can't, they know it, and Loh knows it. 

• Like 8

The governor and the legislature turned on the BOR.  And thank god they did.  My older was questioning whether he should even consider Maryland on the car ride to school this morning.  We live 20 minutes away.

The school was going to have a Pedo St. style stink on it if they didn’t handle their business 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It seems like Loh got a feel for public perception of the situation and decided to play chicken with the board.  Good for him, smart move.  Can you imagine if they fire him after this?  They can't, they know it, and Loh knows it. 

This.

however, this whole mess is still a clown show and the university still looks horrible

28 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

That’s a Loh Blow that I approve of!

53 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I think Loh always knew.  He's the only semi-intelligent adult in this situation.  

I seriously wonder if he went home last night after that ridiculous news conference and couldn't sleep, and decided, "Fuck it, I'm not for long anyways, I'm going to quit kissing the asses of the board and do what I think is right, so I can sleep well at night."

• Like 1

First, can't believe Durkin walks away with a dime, what a fucking crock. If this isn't 'cause' then they might as well just not bother adding that clause to a contract. Why don't they just Mike Leach him and let him try to get a dime? It's not like another coach won't willingly step into the breach...sure hasn't hurt Tech from hiring coaches and Leach didn't do anything comparable.

The BOR should be fired and the students, Dr. Loh, and the McNair family should be allowed to tar, feather and run those sons of bitches off campus on a rail.

7 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Serious circus. With a tent on fire and no ring leader.

Glad he’s gone but they look like Bozo now.

Yes, unfortunately what the Terps president has cleaned up is worsened by the fact of an administration that extended this bafflingly sad situation...

The BYU guy on ESPN pretty much nailed what Durkin should have done.

He suggested that as soon as the report was released, essentially clearing Durkin from any fear of legal action. He should have simply made a statement that expressed that he is resigning as of that day so that the program could move forward under new leadership. He then added some other shit, but the point was he stood pat while the investigation was conducted. And dismissed himself as soon as it concluded. This lets everyone off the hook so far as Durkin’s employment is concerned. A gesture that other potential employers will take notice of.

That simple act probably lands him a coordinater job at a smaller school in which he could begin to rebuild his career. Rather then forcing the Board or anyone else into a hot political situation. Where no one is going to come out looking good after a young man has died.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The governor and the legislature turned on the BOR.  And thank god they did.  My older was questioning whether he should even consider Maryland on the car ride to school this morning.  We live 20 minutes away.

The school was going to have a Pedo St. style stink on it if they didn’t handle their business 

One incident shouldn't Bias where they want to go to school.

• Like 2

The President played them well, and the BOR must be furious.   But I imagine the most they can do is fire the president now which would probably pay the president more than his announced resigning.  It’s not like the president can be fired for cause.  Everything he did was within his power.

i know nothing about Loh but it’s good to see someone put what’s right above his career.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamttx said:

The BYU guy on ESPN pretty much nailed what Durkin should have done.

He suggested that as soon as the report was released, essentially clearing Durkin from any fear of legal action. He should have simply made a statement that expressed that he is resigning as of that day so that the program could move forward under new leadership. He then added some other shit, but the point was he stood pat while the investigation was conducted. And dismissed himself as soon as it concluded. This lets everyone off the hook so far as Durkin’s employment is concerned. A gesture that other potential employers will take notice of.

That simple act probably lands him a coordinater job at a smaller school in which he could begin to rebuild his career. Rather then forcing the Board or anyone else into a hot political situation. Where no one is going to come out looking good after a young man has died.

Should have gone this route, but now he'll just get hired by Saban and have another P5 coordinator gig in 2 years.

I don't know how many people know this, or remember, but Ralph Friedgen had a lot of success in coaching the Terps during his tenure -  He was 74-50 in 10 years and seven bowls.  He was named ACC Coach of the Year the year he was let go (2010).  So why was he gone?

This is the part you might not know/remember... because Maryland was courting, and thought they had landed, one Mike Leach as HC.
Read about it here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/20/AR2010122002513.html

The "problem" was that Maryland was winning decently, but fans weren't showing up.  However, 1) that shouldn't be the HC's job, it should be the AD's, and 2) Maryland has always had trouble getting football fans, as I've said enough times now that's a totally basketball part of the country, and Maryland's basketball team is the Golden Goose.

Anyway, as someone has posted, the Athletic Department has been a total clusterfuck ever since Debbie Yow fucked it up.  My god was she a fucking disaster (one example was paying James Franklin like a million $ to be "coach in waiting".  The AD after her (Kevin Anderson) was responsible for canning Friedgen, but it should be his job to make the program attractive.  He was admittedly handcuffed because Yow pretty much left the Athletic Department bereft of any money (god what a fucking disaster she was).  So to a degree he was left having to hire turds like Randy Edsall, who lasted a glorious 2 years of getting pretty much shitbombed weekly, and Durkin, who had a bright future but fucked himself.

In the end, I also wanted the current AD (Evans) who is as greasy as they come and who should have been shitcanned.  Still, he's got little cover to hide behind now.  The first thing he should do is hire Canada as perm HC and let him continue to build the program - players like him and will speak well of him to recruits.  Then Evans should get up off of his ass and work to get students there, then the alumni will follow.  

Maryland will never be a perennial top 10 team - way too much difficulty in that part of the world - but they can be a perennial winning team with a few years here/there of 10 win seasons, the high school scene has really ramped up there in the past 20 years.  Plenty of goo 4-stars who would go to UM, especially since they have come a long way academically.  They are now one of the best all-around public universities on the East Coast and their acceptance rate is shrinking as they get more elite. 

This incident was beginning to impact that status and reputation, and that's why I think above anything else, even athletics, Loh pulled the chord.  Good for him.

Anyway, good luck Terps and Matt this weekend - this will be your second most winnable game you have left (Indiana the most, but by no means a given, IU is competitive to a degree in football now).  Get that 6th, get to a bowl, and work on those kids who were ready to bail with Durkin still there.

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I don't know how many people know this, or remember, but Ralph Friedgen had a lot of success in coaching the Terps during his tenure -  He was 74-50 in 10 years and seven bowls.  He was named ACC Coach of the Year the year he was let go (2010).  So why was he gone?

The all you can eat buffet in Tacoma Park closed?

• Like 1

Turns out Maryland's BoR is even dumber than I could have imagined.

Maryland board also recommended retaining trainers who failed to treat Jordan McNair

The University System of Maryland Board of Regents recommended this week that the College Park campus retain the athletic trainers who have drawn the bulk of the blame for failing to properly treat Jordan McNair during a May workout, according to two people familiar with the situation.

McNair suffered from exertional heatstroke during team sprints and died 15 days later. An independent report into the circumstances surrounding his death outlined numerous missteps that were made by the school’s athletic trainers along the way, and the university has accepted responsibility for mistakes made by the school employees.

Despite this, the regents encouraged the school to reinstate Steve Nordwall, assistant athletic director of athletic training, and Wes Robinson, the head trainer for the football program. Nordwall and Robinson have been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 10.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/01/maryland-board-also-recommended-retaining-trainers-who-failed-treat-jordan-mcnair/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Apparently he ate the 'k" in Takoma and put a c there, too.
(Goldie Hawn's from Takoma Park, FWIW).

Wouldn't put it past him.  We never did get the Friedgen vs Mangino matchup in a bowl game.  

PS: Pics of hot Goldie or it didn't happen.

19 minutes ago, jebusshuttlecock said:

Turns out Maryland's BoR is even dumber than I could have imagined.

Maryland board also recommended retaining trainers who failed to treat Jordan McNair

The University System of Maryland Board of Regents recommended this week that the College Park campus retain the athletic trainers who have drawn the bulk of the blame for failing to properly treat Jordan McNair during a May workout, according to two people familiar with the situation.

McNair suffered from exertional heatstroke during team sprints and died 15 days later. An independent report into the circumstances surrounding his death outlined numerous missteps that were made by the school’s athletic trainers along the way, and the university has accepted responsibility for mistakes made by the school employees.

Despite this, the regents encouraged the school to reinstate Steve Nordwall, assistant athletic director of athletic training, and Wes Robinson, the head trainer for the football program. Nordwall and Robinson have been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 10.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/01/maryland-board-also-recommended-retaining-trainers-who-failed-treat-jordan-mcnair/

Comments:

From nativedc: It's good the The University System of Maryland Board of Regents weren't at the Nuremberg Trials.

• Like 2