Is it possible D.J. Durkin remains HC at Maryland?

C-Man

athletic:

Maryland head coach DJ Durkin, who had been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 11, met with his team Tuesday afternoon for the first time since being reinstated.

Durkin was smiling, said a parent of a Maryland player who described the meeting. One player asked a rhetorical question to Durkin: What was the program’s No. 1 core value? The player answered it himself, telling his head coach the correct answer was “honesty.” Then, that player and two others walked out of the meeting, according to the parent, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive nature of the subject.

This is the environment that Durkin is walking into: a fractured locker room that features a faction of players that supported his return and a faction that did not.

Durkin is tasked with leading this group of players, which includes those who spoke out to the news media and to the commission tasked by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents to investigate the culture surrounding the football program after the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair following an offseason workout this summer.

Durkin returns to a team that has played well without him — the Terps are nearing bowl eligibility with a 5-3 record under acting coach Matt Canada. Where does Maryland go from here? How will Durkin attempt to rebuild relationships and unite the team? And, from a practical standpoint, how will he persuade parents to send their kids to play for him in the future after the publication of a nearly 200-page report that included examples of psychological and physical abuse within his program?

“You know everybody else is going to use this on Maryland. Everybody,” a private coach who has worked with multiple Division I players, including several currently at Maryland, told The Athletic on Tuesday. “The Temples and UConns can now use that. … The biggest thing about it is kids talk. Kids talk. These kids want to get out of there. There are kids who have no NFL grades at all who are talking about declaring. They do not want to play for this man.”

An assistant coach from a Power 5 conference team whose program frequently recruits against Maryland wrote in a text message to The Athletic: “It will be an issue. No doubt. (But) they will hope it will blow over and folks forget. They will say they ‘fixed’ the problem.”

Maryland’s answer to two exhaustive investigative reports — one into the circumstances surrounding the heatstroke death of McNair, and a second one into the culture during Durkin’s tenure — was to get rid of strength coach Rick Court and implement a series of recommendations that affect the reporting structure within the athletic department. Durkin, athletic director Damon Evans and university president Wallace Loh all retained their jobs, though Loh announced that he will retire at the end of the 2018-19 academic year. At a news conference Tuesday, Loh appeared agitated about that resolution and did not refer to Durkin by name at any point.

“We believe that Mr. Durkin has been unfairly blamed for dysfunction within the athletic department,” Board of Regents chairman James Brady said.

Brady and the other regents determined that Court’s conduct, which included throwing weights, abusive language and the humiliation of players he deemed too “fat,” was problematic, but that Durkin shared the blame for not appropriately overseeing Court and reining in his inappropriate behavior. The board said Durkin shared the blame with former and current employees of a “dysfunctional” athletic department, people who did not support and educate Durkin, a first-time head coach, enough in the regents’ minds.

That sentiment was echoed by Ben Page, a Maryland graduate, donor and season-ticket holder.

“I was pro-DJ coming back,” Page said. “I have always believed that my interactions with him are genuine. Some of the things that have come out through the culture report are concerning in the sense that the oversight by our athletic department was not as comprehensive as a major university or major football program should be.

“Did the report need to be done? I think it did. To get all of this information out there, it was needed. If you were going to bring him back, you needed to do a report. … You can see by reading the report that there are holes and a lack of accountability in certain situations.”

Page said he hoped he would see action now, and not more commissions and committees.

“If we don’t, we’re never going to be what we think we can be,” Page said. “We think we can compete in the Big Ten. That’s what the DJ Durkin hire was about. That’s what the new Cole Field House is about. We want to be part of the conversation, and if we don’t put ourselves and have the infrastructure to be big-time, then we never will be.”

A second booster, who spoke to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity so he could speak more candidly, disagreed with Page’s assessment of the fallout from the investigative report.

“The incompetence is rampant everywhere,” the second booster said. “You can never underestimate the ability of the University of Maryland to make the worst possible decision in everything they do.”

He said that what turned him off from supporting Durkin was the coach’s immediate response to McNair’s death. McNair collapsed at practice May 29 and later died in the hospital June 13.

“While Maryland was trying to sweep this under the carpet, DJ allowed Rick Court and (athletic trainer) Wes Robinson to work with his kids again,” the second booster said. “He can try to claim that Court didn’t report to him, but that’s a level of judgment I find amazingly bad. …

“I think it’s disgusting. What people over there lose sight of are the kids. Beyond the McNair family, you have 100-plus kids who have been through a lot. The notion that DJ shows back up to coach them, to me it’s unfathomable.”

Yet that’s exactly what is happening, with a team as fractured as its fan base and its donors. The athletic department itself is, too. The booster who spoke to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity said that last week, in advance of his in-person meeting with the Board of Regents, Evans asked members of the athletic department to sign a petition supporting him.

Now that Evans is staying on, it’s fair to wonder if those whose names were not on the petition will now feel insecure.

Players who spoke out against Durkin fear the same type of retribution. It’s unclear at this point how many players plan to transfer out of the Maryland program at the end of the season.

It’s also uncertain how local high schools will handle Durkin’s reinstatement. Multiple coaches in the area were surprised that Durkin kept his job and are considering not encouraging any players to go to Maryland, one local high school head coach said.

The McNair family, which has said in the past it wanted Durkin to be fired, called a news conference Tuesday evening. It was the first time McNair’s parents have spoken publicly since August.

“I feel like I’ve been punched in the stomach and someone spit in my face,” Martin McNair told reporters.

Said McNair’s attorney, Hassan Murphy: “Coach Durkin had an obligation to keep his players safe. He failed. As your report, Chairman Brady, so found. Yet he remains. As of today, the only person who has paid for those failures is Jordan McNair.”

and Mandel:

I sure hope those millions of extra cable television households the Big Ten picked up a few years back were worth it. Because at this point, the collective embarrassment brought upon the league by recent additions Maryland and Rutgers would sure seem to outweigh whatever revenue uptick it received from entering the D.C. and New York/New Jersey viewing markets.

Not that those schools haven’t provided the Big Ten Network with some compelling programming. Like, for example, the absurd and appalling news conference the network aired Tuesday from College Park.

If by chance you missed the surreal spectacle, let me give you the highlights.

• University System of Maryland Board of Regents chairman James Brady used the word “dysfunction” about 37 times to describe the school’s athletic department and noted that university president Wallace Loh, athletic director Damon Evans and football coach DJ Durkin all shared responsibility for it. Then he turned around and expressed his confidence in their leadership going forward.
  • Nobody would come out and explicitly say that Durkin had been reinstated, even though at that very moment he was holding his first meeting in months with his players (one from which several walked out). The board chairman deferred to Loh, who deferred to Evans (who wasn’t there). “You raise an interesting point,” Loh said when someone asked whether Durkin would be on the sideline Saturday against Michigan State.
  • This is where it should be noted that earlier Tuesday, The Washington Postreported that Loh wanted to fire Durkin in light of a 192-page commission report detailing a culture of player mistreatment and deranged motivational tactics (like showing videos of serial killers and drills entering eyeballs during breakfast). But the board did not, and Loh felt he couldn’t overrule their recommendations, so now he’s just going to retire in June.
  • Loh, who kept referring to himself as “captain of the ship” (and used a lot of ship metaphors in general), notably wouldn’t utter Durkin’s name and appeared extremely uncomfortable when it came up. “He has been a successful coach in terms of many aspects of football. He is coming back,” Loh said, eyes pointed at the floor, almost as if reading a hostage script.
  • Durkin, it should be noted, is 10-15 as Maryland’s head coach, 5-13 in the Big Ten. The Terps have lost seven of their past eight games with Durkin the sideline, the last by 63 points. Maryland has started 5-3 this season without him.
  • Loh, with a straight face, called Evans — who was once fired as Georgia’s athletic director for getting caught in a DUI arrest with a 28-year-old mistress and a pair of red panties between his legs — “in my judgment, one of the finest athletic directors in the country.”
  • Citing a section of the commission’s report, Brady made a point of noting that Durkin was a first-time head coach who hadn’t been given proper job training. “The difference between being a coordinator and a head coach is huge,” said Brady, as if no one (Bob Stoops) has ever made that transition (Kirby Smart) in the history of college football. “… Especially in a conference such as the Big Ten, which, as you know, is a very big-time conference.”

Right: The Big Ten. Let’s address a very important question about Maryland’s place in said big-time conference, which is: What are they doing there?

Oh right. Cable households.

As you know, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany’s audacious East Coast annexation six years ago was not a popular move among existing Big Ten fan bases. Both were seen as mediocre football programs that would only water down teams’ schedules. For example, Iowa has played Maryland more frequently since 2015 than it has Ohio State or Michigan, which is ideal for Pinstripe Bowl qualification purposes but not so much fan interest.

Every Saturday my teammates and I have to kneel before the memorial of our fallen teammate. Yet a group of people do not have the courage to hold anyone accountable for his death. If only they could have the courage that Jordan had. It’s never the wrong time to do what’s right.

I wrote a Sports Illustrated feature about Delany’s divisive strategy in 2014, shortly before the two schools officially joined. He thought it was a necessary move after the ACC added Pittsburgh and Syracuse. And he bet on the likelihood that Big Ten affiliation would itself help boost Rutgers and Maryland athletics.

Let’s briefly review how that’s played out.

Rutgers: In 2013 (after the announcement but before officially starting), the school fired basketball coach Mike Rice after he was caught on tape at practice hurling balls at players’ heads, shoving them and calling them homophobic slurs. … In 2015, football coach Kyle Flood secretly met with a professor in hopes of getting a player’s grade improved and eventually garnered the program NCAA sanctions. …. In 2016, the Knights lost games by scores of 78-0 to Michigan, 58-0 to Ohio State, 49-0 to Michigan State and 39-0 to Penn State. This year, it’s lost 55-14 to Kansas and 42-13 to Buffalo. … Home attendance has dropped from 46,519 in Rutgers’ last season in the Big East to 35,194 so far this season.

On the bright side, you can get BTN on basic cable in Manhattan.

Maryland: The Terps haven’t been half bad in football, actually; they went to the Quick Lane Bowl once, and they’re undefeated against Texas since Tom Herman got there. … However, former AD Kevin Anderson eventually got put out to pasture for numerous examples of mismanagement, like, for example, using athletic funds to hire a defense attorney for two football players accused of sexual misconduct against a female athlete and labeling it as a “speaker’s fee.” … Medical staff were completely negligent in their handling of offensive lineman Jordan McNair’s heatstroke symptoms during an offseason workout, from which he tragically died. … Strength coach Rick Court, under Durkin’s supervision, humiliated and demeaned football players in bizarre ways, such as throwing a trash can full of vomit at a player; the commission described a culture where “problems festered because too many players feared speaking out.”

On the bright side, ESPN and FOX are paying the conference $2.64 billion to televise games in which Maryland and Rutgers participate.

I’ve covered and watched a whole lot of college athletics news conferences in my time, many of them involving leaders addressing scandals. Tuesday’s ranked among the absolute strangest. Brady and Loh exuded the farthest thing from legendary leadership.

But this is the same school that had run up a $21 million athletics deficit before the Big Ten came to the rescue, that for years had a basketball coach (Gary Williams) and AD (Debbie Yow) who feuded with each other publicly, that at one point had James Franklin lined up as it coach in waiting only to instead hire Randy Edsall. The conference knew exactly what it was getting with Maryland.

Cable households.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/d-j-durkin-unfathomably-still-maryland-football-coach-202236915.html

The primary powers within the athletic department are back, per the school’s announcement Tuesday afternoon. At the reported insistence of the University System of Maryland Board of Regents, head coach D.J. Durkin, suspended since mid-August, is back —a decision railroaded past school president Wallace Loh. Athletic director Damon Evans is back.

Jordan McNair is never coming back. 

This part of the post gave me chills.  How much freaking plainer can it be put.  Special place in hell for all of those involved who act like it is no big deal.

Apparently it's all a money decision.  Maryland doesn't get their full share of Big 10 revenues until 2021 and can't afford to fire Durkin and the AD.  It's sickening.  If I was the Governor of Maryland, I'd fire the Board of Regents and appoint an Interim Board to address this issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But he is waiting eight or nine months to retire. That’s not much of a statement move. I wonder if it has to do with his retirement package.

What I read was that he was told if he didn't reinstate Durkin he'd be fired on the spot, which he thought would be destabilizing to the entire university, so he agreed not to fight him coming back but would retire at the end of this year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But he is waiting eight or nine months to retire. That’s not much of a statement move. I wonder if it has to do with his retirement package.

That's possible.  I also wonder if it gives them time to find a replacement - not quite so easy to just up and leave as a President of a University.

Apparently it's all a money decision.  Maryland doesn't get their full share of Big 10 revenues until 2021 and can't afford to fire Durkin and the AD.  It's sickening.  If I was the Governor of Maryland, I'd fire the Board of Regents and appoint an Interim Board to address this issue.

Wouldn’t they be firing them for cause and therefore not owe them any money?

2 hours ago, hacker said:

I read it the other way.  He is retiring BECAUSE he has no say in the matter. 

Pretty much.  Some axioms:
BOR can't fire HC.
President can fire HC.
BOR can fire President.
BOR says we'll fire you if you fire him.
President says fuck this, I'm outta here.

That pretty much sucks.

Just to set the record straight, about 3, possibly 4 (according to one source) of 99 rostered players walked out of Durkin's "Howdy Boys, I'm BBAAAACCCCKKK!" meeting.  As I said above, I think the main reason (not donors/boosters, etc.) that BOR kept Durkin is that most of the team and the parents supports him.

In any event, his response yesterday was turdlike:

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team and very much appreciate having the support of the Board of Regents," he said. "Our thoughts have and will continue to be with Jordan's family.  I am proud that the team has remained united and represented themselves and the university well during this difficult time. As we move forward, I am confident that our team will successfully represent the entire University in a positive way both on and off the field."

"Our team will?  They already are.  Nothing in there about your role and willingness to change.  It's almost as if he's blaming the team.

Anyway, he's going to lose 3 out of 4 most likely, beginning this weekend with a home game vs. Sparty.  It's gonna get really good when he goes 12-18 or 11-19 by the end of this season.  When frustration sets in, what's he going to do?  What will the players do?

This is just warming up...

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wouldn’t they be firing them for cause and therefore not owe them any money?

The inquiry couldn't find cause, putting the whole thing on the strength and conditioning coach.  They'd have to buy Durkin out.

The BOR can't fire the coach, but a BOR who supported a President who is willing to clean up what is clearly a broken culture is what's necessary. I don't give a fuck what the players think.  19-22 year old scholarship athletes at a second tier Big 10 school aren't in a place to make an objective call and do the right thing here.  The optics of this are just terrible.

Debbie Yow left the AD drowning in debt, the stadium is empty on weekends, the basketball team is mired in mediocrity and the new arena is behind schedule and has funding problems. This debacle is only going to worsen the situation.

The school has finally reached borderline public Ivy status academically and the athletics are tarnishing everything. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Any Power 5 head coach who says he doesn’t have ultimate sway over what his strength coach does is a liar. A strength coach acts as the right hand of the head coach. Just listen to this head coach talking about his strength coach. “It’s so important, I believe, that the strength coach and the head coach are directly in line with one another in terms of what’s important, what’s the message we’re delivering, and [the strength coach] and I are,” [the head coach] said. “We’re totally synchronized in that and so he’s huge. He’s critical to all we do.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/30/dj-durkin-maryland-terrapins-recruiting-investigation-report

That was Durkin talking about his strength coach, the guy who looks to be taking the blame in this. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sports Illustrated and ESPN roasting Maryland for retaining Durkin.

Sports Illustrated

ESPN

From ESPN:

Jonathan Allen, Maryland's student body president, told ESPN that students are "outraged" by the board's decision. Allen will introduce emergency legislation at a student government association meeting Wednesday night that will call for university president Wallace Loh to fire Durkin. Sources told ESPN that Loh, who announced Tuesday that he will retire in June, only brought back Durkin after the board of regents threatened to fire the president if he didn't reinstate the coach.

"People are appalled at this," Allen said. "When I spoke to stakeholders -- media, alums, donors -- over the last few months, as this has been transpiring, they all said there's no way Durkin comes back from this. And yet he's returning and the president is the one that's leaving?

"When the system fails, the next obvious step is a grassroots push, being vocal and showing the outrage and sentiments students have had with these decisions."

Allen, who hopes to meet with Loh later Wednesday to understand his viewpoint on the decision, said board of regents chair James Brady is primarily at fault for the decisions to reinstate Durkin and athletics director Damon Evans.

"It could not have worked out better for chairman Brady," said Allen, a senior from Florida majoring in government and politics. "He didn't need to buy out Coach Durkin's multi-million contract. He did not need to buy out Damon Evans' contract, did not need to fire a president and potentially have litigation if President Loh deemed there wasn't sufficient cause, bought out [former Maryland football strength coach] Rick Court, who was the root of many concerns, for $315,000.

"The only person who paid, as the McNair family's representative said, was Jordan, and that was with his life. That's why we're outraged."

Allen reached out to McNair's parents, Marty McNair and Tonya Wilson, through their attorneys, and hopes they can attend Thursday's rally.

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Another theory I've heard floated is that if they fire him for McNair's death, that will cause some liability to redound back to the school, whereas if he loses out, there will be a better case for it being about performance.

Sick, I know, but that's where we are. 

This was my take as well.  If we fire him now save some reputation but accept some blame and we're financially set back many, many years (if not for good). If we part ways at end of season we lose some reputation but financially are better able to survive.

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This was my take as well.  If we fire him now save some reputation but accept some blame and we're financially set back many, many years (if not for good). If we part ways at end of season we lose some reputation but financially are better able to survive.

It's gonna be a tough one to dig out of either way. Maryland was already a hard job in the best of circumstances. Not impossible but difficult. I kind of see them like a mini-Tennessee. Weird-shaped state that's half-hillbilly surrounded by larger ones with much deeper recruiting bases. 

27 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Another theory I've heard floated is that if they fire him for McNair's death, that will cause some liability to redound back to the school, whereas if he loses out, there will be a better case for it being about performance.

Sick, I know, but that's where we are. 

Didn’t they already reach a settlement with the family?

Well, who better to lead the troubled U.MD athletic department than this guy?

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2010/7/3/1550750/text-of-damon-evans-police-report-red-panties

Text Of Damon Evans Police Report: Red Panties And 'I'm Not Trying To Bribe You, But...'

By Jason Kirk  Jul 3, 2010, 9:11am EDT

The AJC has published the Damon Evans police report, and, um, it’s, well I just, how do you, ok we, WOW.

Here’s the meat of it, transcribed by Google Docs (emphasis mine):

On 6/30/10, at approximately 2354 hours, l was patrolling south on Roswell Road near Lakemoore Drive in Fulton County. I observed a black BMW 750| bearing GA tag 1, traveling north on Roswell Road that failed to maintain its lane by drifting across the white dotted line with its driver side tires. I turned around on the vehicle and the driver drifted back across the white dotted line approximately two feet across the line with the passenger side tires. The driver moved into the left turn lane as if he was going to enter an apartment complex, but drove back into the left lane of Roswell Road. When the light turned green, the driver continued north on Roswell Road at a low speed and drifted onto the yellow center line with his driver side tires.

I initiated a traffic stop and the driver stopped in the left lane of traffic on Roswell Road, instead of pulling into the left turn lane to make hls turn. After pulling into the parking space, I asked the subjeçt for his license. The subject fumbled through his cards and dropped some of the items before giving me his license. I also noticed that the subject had a red pair of lady’s panties between his legs. While talking to the subject, I could smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his vehicle and breath. The subject had red, bloodshot, watery eyes and droopy eyelids. I asked the subject how much he had to drink and he stated, " a couple of drinks." The subject admitted to drinking two Vodka-Martinis at a restaurant and also drinking a Martini at the Beluga Martini Bar.

I asked the subject to step out of his vehicle and, while talking to the subject outside of his vehicle, I could smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath. I asked the subject if he was taking any medications and he stated, "no." The subject stated, "l feel pretty good," smiled and laughed for no apparent reason.

I started checking HGN and the passenger, Courtney Nay Fuhrmann, got out and started walking towards the back of the vehicle. I asked Courtney to have a seat back in the vehicle and so did Mr. Evans. I attempted to continue performing HGN and the passenger got out of the vehicle again. Itold the passenger several times not to get out of the vehicle again. I checked HGN with 6 clues. While giving the instruction for the walk and turn test, the passenger began yelling out the driver side window. The passenger was being very loud and obnoxious and was obviously intoxicated. After I demonstrated the walking portion of the walk and tum test, Ms. Fuhrmann got out of the vehicle again. I told Ms. Fuhrmann to get back into the vehicle and if she got out again, l would place her under arrest. I could smell a very strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from her breath. While dealing with Ms. Fuhrmann, Mr. Evans walked up towards us and I had to instruct him to step back. Mr. Evans stated that she was only trying to protect him. After finishing the walk and turn test, the passenger exited her vehicle and again started to the rear of the vehicle.

I placed the subject under arrest, handcuffed her and put her in my patrol car. After arresting the passenger Mr. Evans stated, "I have a young lady and she is intoxicated and I am just trying to get her home." He also said, "l apologize and don’t want to use my influencebut she is trying to protect me." The passenger continued to be combative in the back seat of my patrol car. See DUI sheet for other field sobriety tests. The subject refused to submit to a preliminary breath test. He stated that he didn’t want to blow.

I placed Mr. Evans under arrest for DUI and he pulled away from me and kept trying to turn around. I had to tell him several times to stop turning around. I handcuffed him and read Implied Consent Noticelsuspect Age 21 or over from the orange card with a request for his breath. The subject refused by saying, "no." The subject voluntarily started talking about his situation. The subject stated, "I am not trying to bribe you, but I am the Athletic Director of the University of Georgia." The subject admitted again that he’d been drinking and started cnying. The subject stated. "I didn’t think I was drunk."

I told the subject that he was too impaired to drive and he agreed saying, "maybe so." I asked the subject what her panties were doing in his side of the seat and he stated, "she took them off and I held them because I was just trying to get her home." The subject stated that he understood what was going on and stated, "l don’t want to use who I am; but l would just ask that you take me to a Motel." The subject stated that he messed up and asked if I would take him to a Motel. The subject also stated, "we go through life and we all drink and jump in a car." He stated, "I felt that I was good, but maybe not." He also Stated, "But I am not trying to bribe you, but is there anything you can do without arresting me." Mr. Evans stated that Ms. Fuhrmann was a friend of his but there was nothing there because he had a wife and family. The subject again asked would let him go to a Motel and stated, "I will agree with you by saying this, drinking and driving is never good."

While transporting the subject to City of Atlanta Jail, Ms. Fuhrmann mias talking to Mr. Evans and stated that she was mad because he was going to get off and she was not. Mr. Evans asked me if there was anything that he could do to get a warning and I told him I don’t issue warnings for DUI. Just before pulling up at the jail, Mr. Evans asked me again if it was too late and what could he do. After arriving at the jail, I took Ms. Fuhrmann into the sally port first. I asked Ms. Fuhrmann how long they had been seeing each other and she stated, "onIy a couple weeks or so." While standing in the sally port of the jail, Ms. Fuhrmann stated, "that l promise you one thing, he will get off." She also stated, "Just to let you know, it will be erased because he is the Athletic Director of UGA and he has that power."

I released the subject to jail personnel. I returned to my patrol car and printed Mr. Evans’ paper work and he again stated he would not take the state test. The subject began crying uncontrollable before I took him into the jail. The subject was released to jail personnel.

Elsewhere the officer describes Evans as crying, talkative, and swaying, with slow, mumbled speech. He allegedly needed to use his car for balance and didn’t ace the field sobriety tests.

Until this mountainous shoe dropped and left a crater filled with a volcano full of tornadoes belching out red panties onto storied Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall, some portions of the local sports community were still able to imagine a future in which Evans remained as UGA’s AD. That’s long gone now. The university could perhaps forgive one drunk driving incident. The Tiger Woodsy details are guaranteed to alter the attire of rival fanbases on gamedays, but the school could possibly find a reason to forgive that as well. It cannot let its athletic director get away with using the school’s good name, repeatedly, in an attempt to avoid drunk driving charges.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Like 1

This from The Baltimore Sun today. Since apparently the strongest aspect of Durkin has been his recruiting, which admittedly has been very good, this is pretty interesting:

Before this spring, the Terps had recruiting momentum,

Mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst Adam Friedman had told The Baltimore Sun. Since McNair’s death, the revelations about how his heatstroke was mistreated, the allegations of a toxic culture and the coaching instability have hurt recruiting.

Maryland’s recruiting class is tied for last in the Big Ten, according to Rivals.com’s 2019 rankings, behind teams it has beaten this season.

There's a student government-sponsored campus rally Thursday protesting Durkn's retention.  If no one shows up, it's because students don't give a shit about football.

Edited by phdhorn

Looking forward as an alum to the era of Matt Canada!!!!!

My guess is that he lost the locker room.  They supported him but once on the field, things got really, really weird.  I saw some pictures from practice today and it was really awkward.  Plus the players really like Canada, because they play football then get done with practice and go on with their lives.  My kind of coach.  I wish Matt luck there.

I'll donate my Tree Fiddy.

The only thing was I didn't want the press to run him off, I wanted the University to do it.  So this actually worked out better that they canned him now rather than yesterday.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1