Awkward iPad Tipping

Kyle

I don't find it awkward to hit zero on stuff like that, but I have no idea of the driver of those things is to get shame tips or accidental tips where cash payers would never tip.  I assume it's more just a by product.  I know that the businesses have to take it on the shorts and basically fund credit card rewards programs in service charges.  I guess this is there way of getting back.

“You can certainly walk away without tipping, but it’s hard to do, especially if you’re Canadian,” 

lulz

In Los Angeles, Daniel Nigro believes a 10% tip is usually sufficient at the counter. He takes the extra steps to customize that lower amount in the presence of the clerks, who to him seem to be expecting more.

“I feel like they are watching me when I do it,” says Mr. Nigro, who is 36 and a songwriter. “They’re looking at you.”

Someone is trolling.

Edited by clapclapclap

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I usually "no tip" without any shame.

This.

Picked up some street tacos at the taqueria today and like any good small business, they've eschewed big Point of Sales registers and costs and use square/ipad, good for them. But I'm not tipping for picking up tacos and will "No Tip" without shame whatsoever.

When eating lunch by myself, it saves me money since 15% is usually less than the buck or two I'd normally leave.  I think if you make sure you click "no receipt" before you turn the ipad back around, they won't see the tip amount, so you can go all Mr Pink on their ass and they'd be none the wiser.

Edited by CooterBrown

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When eating lunch by myself, it saves me money since 15% is usually less than the buck or two I'd normally leave.  I think if you make sure you click "no receipt" before you turn the ipad back around, they won't see the tip amount, so you can go all Mr Pink on their ass and they'd be none the wiser.

1234 - Same with coffee as I usually tip $1 if given a paper copy to sign

Don't know why people find it awkward. Some minimum wage guy thinks you're cheap? The ugly girl behind you that you're not trying to impress or sleep with might think you're an asshole? It's not the money, it's the principle of it for me. Why should I tip you for ringing up my coffee when I don't tip the dude at Microcenter for locating my item in the warehouse from the piece of paper I handed him? I can't leave the store unless you ring me up. You aren't providing a service.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoundRobin said:

That  fucking link awkwardly asked me to pay to read the article!

Protip:  Google the title of the article, the returned link will take you to a page that doesn't make you sign in to read it.

I find the way they usually ask far more annoying than the tip:
"It's just going to ask you a couple questions...."

Edited by Hellraiser97

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Don't know why people find it awkward. Some minimum wage guy thinks you're cheap? The ugly girl behind you that you're not trying to impress or sleep with might think you're an asshole? It's not the money, it's the principle of it for me. Why should I tip you for ringing up my coffee when I don't tip the dude at Microcenter for locating my item in the warehouse from the piece of paper I handed him? I can't leave the store unless you ring me up. You aren't providing a service.

the other side of the coin is when you go to a place all the time.  you sort of know the people there, and they sort of have their hand out, so there is a little more social pressure to tip.

I was in Dallas last weekend and went to a fancy beer store across the street from the Kessler. This is a beer store. When I signed out they had a tip line. I was so confused.

I wish they had a "round up to the nearest dollar" option at counter service coffee and sandwich shops.

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I'm with you. I think tipping people who make much more than minimum wage for doing nothing is disrespectful to actual waiters and waitresses who work their butts of and truly do rely on tips ... now don't get me started on women and their hair dressers. #stupidshitmywifedoes

There's a similar conversation going on between FB friends.

Some of them feel pressured to add a tip because the person behind the counter knows how much they tipped Some of them need to grow a spine. 

If it's counter service, I don't tip unless I'm in a good mood, and I'm usually not in a good mood.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm still confused on the Sonic tipping issue.

If a dude brings the food, no tip. If it's a girl but not attractive, $1. If it's an attractive girl, I'll tuck a $5 in her belt and give a creepy smile and a wink.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

..so mucous, no mucous

Exactly. My problem is having to tip in advance of service. What if the food or the service ends up being terrible?

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

If a dude brings the food, no tip. If it's a girl but not attractive, $1. If it's an attractive girl, I'll tuck a $5 in her belt and give a creepy smile and a wink.

Just the tip? 

I’ve found the latest phenomenon is places asking to donate a dollar for the Charity DeJour (or round up the dollar as in the case of Panda Express, whom I blame for starting this trend). I already use Acorns, so my change is spoken for thank you very much.

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 12:39 PM, F250 said:

I usually "no tip" without any shame.

Same. Zero fucks given. Seems like everybody has their fucking hand out these days. Customary tipping situations, fine. For dining I'll start at 20% when I sit down, and that may go up or down based on service. However, just because you ring me up doesn't mean shit.

In terms of "square", I wonder if that is just how it is. A buddy of mine uses that for his shop (where tipping would not be normal), and I give him shit all the time about it. I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it off.

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Same. Zero fucks given. Seems like everybody has their fucking hand out these days. Customary tipping situations, fine. For dining I'll start at 20% when I sit down, and that may go up or down based on service. However, just because you ring me up doesn't mean shit.

In terms of "square", I wonder if that is just how it is. A buddy of mine uses that for his shop (where tipping would not be normal), and I give him shit all the time about it. I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it off.

Yes it can be turned off

On 10/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’ve found the latest phenomenon is places asking to donate a dollar for the Charity DeJour (or round up the dollar as in the case of Panda Express, whom I blame for starting this trend). I already use Acorns, so my change is spoken for thank you very much.

Unfortunately some (most?) of those charity add-ons kick back a percentage to the store, things like "processing' fees.  I've seem claims as high as 75% going to admin before reaching the charity, which has their own admin to further subtract.  Their fig leaf is often, "Well, we're getting invaluable awareness of our charity."

Edited by clapclapclap

On 10/17/2018 at 3:21 PM, Superhero said:

There's a similar conversation going on between FB friends.

Some of them feel pressured to add a tip because the person behind the counter knows how much they tipped Some of them need to grow a spine. 

If it's counter service, I don't tip unless I'm in a good mood, and I'm usually not in a good mood.

Aren’t you worried that you might accidentally hit a big tip during the initial throws of a seizure?  You should file an ADA complaint with the federal constabulary. 

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

What’s the protocol for calling in an order and going and picking it up? 

If it’s an honest-to-goodness meal, then etiquette dictates that you are supposed to tip. The hostess or bartender or someone else is having to put the order in, get it ready, and ring it up in addition to their other duties for which they could be tipped. My daughters have worked in restaurants, and they say that takeout orders can be a lot more work than people realize, especially if people want utensils, napkins, condiments, etc. on a multiple entree order.

I’m a good tipper for sit-down service, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I don’t often tip at the counter. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

If millennials want to leave a bigger and more obvious trail for the IRS to sniff around in, so be it.  If it's any kinda service at a place like Royal Blue like they made me something or at least got me a fresh coffee, I'll go 20%.  If they literally just scanned my bag of chips and beverage, then no-nada.