Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s all going to come down to whether he wants to put in work recruiting or whether he’s going to just coast like he did the 2nd half of his tenure here.  He’s a good game manager and can attract good assistants.  He will run the place like a soft country club, but if they have talent he will still get enough development done to win generally, even if Clemson laughs at how soft they are.

If he tries, he will still be a great recruiter even though he’s old.  Most college head coaches can’t even act likable.  It’s up for debate whether Mack actually is likable, but he can sure act like it.  And it seems to take most people a few years of seeing his bitchassedness before they decide he’s a politician and get turned off by it.  So, he will build hype, get the school and boosters on board, and he can win living rooms.  

I don't think he wants to put in work recruiting and he won't. His coordinator hires will be the key. If he were to hire Kliff, I think he would trust Kliff to make player evaluations and to recruit who he wants, more or less.

At the end of Mack's tenure here, he didn't do that. When GD was still here, GD didn't do much on the trail, but he and Mack had to sign off on players their coaches were recruiting. After GD was gone, Mack had to watch film and sign off on everyone we recruited, and Mack often didn't "get around" to doing that. Even our coordinators could not go after the targets they wanted, so we missed out on guys our coaches felt fit their schemes in favor of guys Mack wanted here who may or may not have fit our schemes. Mostly those recruits were just guys highly rated by recruiting analysts, many of whom didn't know shit from shinola.

In short, Mack will succeed if he makes good coordinator hires, allows the coordinators to do their jobs, and he sticks to the CEO/PR aspects of the job. If he micromanages the coordinators' jobs, he will fail miserably.

2 hours ago, naija said:

Agree with this, in the sense that I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Brown will suck. You don't win as much as he did and build two programs up (one of which we have seen can be as dysfunctional as they come) without knowing a thing or two. The desire to pull this off is the biggest question with Brown. If I was KK, I would look to take my talents to the NFL as the time has never been more right for that type of offense, but who would bet against Brown on selling a season or two to a good OC? What you can be mad about if you are a UNC fan is that better, lower potential for disaster options existed and it doesn't appear that the admin pursued them exhaustively. I mean, what's the rush here? Was Brown going anywhere?

I do think Mack's desire is there.  No question he felt like he was pushed out too early here.  He'll give it his best, now, whether KK and chizik come, IDK.

All my in-laws are Heels and they have no idea what to think right now.  They are manic right now...this is good, no this is bad, WTF is going on, can this work, do we hire stud OCs and make them coach in waiting.  He was going a million miles and hour and he is usually the stable one.

In truth this is probably the most they cared about UNC football in a long while
  • Like 1

I know some of the complaints here about Mack, and many of them are justified. I personally would have rather kept Mack for another 3 years than have gone through the Charlie Strong era. I do believe Charlie would have done better with a real A.D. instead of that ass clown Patterson, but still.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Chizik was just the DC at UNC in 15-16 and gave up 645 yards rushing to a crippled team of rape enthusiasts, and ranked solidly in the bottom half of defense nationally. 

yeah but greg robinson did fine under mack and sucked elsewhere -- and as for chizik as Mack's DC, we only won a national title with that combo, go fig

27 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I know some of the complaints here about Mack, and many of them are justified. I personally would have rather kept Mack for another 3 years than have gone through the Charlie Strong era. I do believe Charlie would have done better with a real A.D. instead of that ass clown Patterson, but still.

In hindsight I agree with you, but I can't imagine how bad Mack's classes would have looked like those last 3 years if we had kept him. He was losing credibility with the HS coaches and kids.

And if the stories of Mack scuttling Saban to UT are true, then I don't even know what to say to that thin-skinned bastard.     

If he can land Kingsbury he will be fine. If he lands Kliff they might even have a shot to land Kelly Bryant and be a 7-8 win team his first year. Could care less what happens, he did a lot of good things at Texas and a lot of bad things. If it weren't for Colt getting hurt we might have had 2 National Titles. Colt getting hurt took his will. Regardless this should be entertaining to watch if they hire Mack.

Edited by Texas25

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

In short, Mack will succeed if he makes good coordinator hires, allows the coordinators to do their jobs, and he sticks to the CEO/PR aspects of the job. If he micromanages the coordinators' jobs, he will fail miserably.

Had he done that at Texas, he'd still be HC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

In hindsight I agree with you, but I can't imagine how bad Mack's classes would have looked like those last 3 years if we had kept him. He was losing credibility with the HS coaches and kids.

Nope, for the very reason you cite. The overall talent on campus at the end of Mack's tenure was mediocre and would have dwindled fast as recruiting continued to collapse. Mack would have had losing seasons the same as Charlie and there would have been even less in the cupboard when Herman or someone else finally took over. Mack did a lot for Texas, but his time was up and nothing good would have come from dragging that dead horse around any further. 

I hope for Mack's sake this UNC venture doesn't end as badly as it could. That's a rebuild project. He's 68, hasn't coached for five years, and was past his prime with us. Unless his time on the sidelines has given him some seriously renewed vim and vigor, it could be sad.   

• Like 1

I think it is a brilliant move by Mack. First he will be only one of five active coaches who actually has a title under his belt. And you know Mack, every recruit will see that big ass fucking 05 ring when he sits down with mom and dad. I guarantee he will out recruit the majority of ACC coaching staff’s just by killing himself fishing in Florida. Not by selling UNC, but as a vehicle to get to the NFL. He has name recognition and will be able to take advantage of every kid (and their parents) ego, and desire to make it to the league.

The second point is the state of the ACC. Sure Clemson is a powerhouse. But they are the only team that has a pulse. Christ, they’re playing the ACC championship game against a 7-5 Pitt team, 7-5?. That ain’t going to scare anyone. Especially a guy with Mack’s ego. Throw in the shit conditions that Miami and FSU can’t seem to extract themselves from. And he probably has a winning record in his first year without doing much of anything.

And most importantly, he isn’t under ANY pressure to win BIG. No one in Chapel Hill is even remotely thinking about the playoffs. If he is simply competitive, he will have a job for life. The Tarheels have been a fucking disaster since he left. And it’s ridiculous that some of you are going to great lengths to suggest a litany of great coordinators he MUST hire to be successful. I disagree, they just need to be competent. But not necessarily great. 

The guy is also personable. Throw in what he has learned and who he has met while stealing a paycheck from ESPN. You can’t help but think he has given this some thought, and probably has a short list of who he will hire. I think this will be fun to watch.

Now, who do we need to talk to about scheduling a game against UNC?

3 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Make sure they bring this magical play with em.323065c5ad7edbae2788c0c0155aa02a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Triggered.

edit: apologies as it was so infuriating I didn't make it through the other posts to see that I wasn't alone.

Edited by Txzen

3 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Make sure they bring this magical play with em.323065c5ad7edbae2788c0c0155aa02a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Please remind me who made this originally. It is one of the finest graphics ever made. I still laugh every time I see it.

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

DJ Monroe on the sideline is what makes it special. 

My college roommate and business partner created this in collaboration with either SydneyCarton or HenryJames (or maybe Huck or scally?) in a collective effort to vent, avoid work and troll the GD and Mack apologists. I can’t remember which poster brought it to the boards, but the creator, ironically a digital marketing witch, doesn’t post on the boards. 

The fuckers should have trademarked it. Still makes me laugh. 

• Like 1

Nope, for the very reason you cite. The overall talent on campus at the end of Mack's tenure was mediocre and would have dwindled fast as recruiting continued to collapse. Mack would have had losing seasons the same as Charlie and there would have been even less in the cupboard when Herman or someone else finally took over. Mack did a lot for Texas, but his time was up and nothing good would have come from dragging that dead horse around any further. 

I don't know, I'm thinking better (some) clock management and better (some) special teams. Maybe don't make a complete game plan of handing off to a running back with a broken hand (even GDGD knew better) and we beat Kansas in '16? If you can't tell, I'm more pissed off at Charlie than I am at Mack. As for what I'd say to him, how about thanks for all the 10 + win seasons and the natty! I'll probably never know what the inside story was at that point. But as bad a Mackovick was, he looks like a football God compared to Charlie.

Say you're married to a hot woman.  Oh sure, things aren't perfect, at least once a year she does one stupid thing that really annoys you and it seems to be the same thing every year, year after year.  But all things considered, you're happy with her and she seems happy with you.
Then Brad Pitt walks in your house, winks at her and tells her to pack her things.  She's gone just like that without even looking back.  15 years later Brad dumps her.  20 years later she shows up on your doorstep, 50 pounds heavier and looking like she's been aging in dog years, and tells you she always loved you and made a huge mistake.
Would you take her back?
Take her back where?

To the dealer?

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo