Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

If it bleeds, it leads.  As it was in media, as it always shall be.  I can go on any media site and find an article with a deceptive or hyperbolic headline designed to gather clicks.  

“Grinding Russian Offensive Means Khiv Is Preparing For More War” doesn’t exactly scream READ ME!

My current favorite clickbait headline, only because I wish it had actually terrified Austin.

https://www.slashfilm.com/798831/halo-marketing-team-unleashes-drone-swarm-on-terrified-austin-residents/

Halo Marketing Team Unleashes Drone Swarm On Terrified Austin Residents

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I wonder if now there's a continuation of understrength unit (from corruption or general fuckery) combined with inflated ranks (more corruption and general fuckery) with yes-men "Generals" who are running around doing the jobs of Colonels and Majors?

It would be of a piece with their arrogance and incompetence if they are demanding that the troops salute them within view of the enemy.

If I was a Russian soldier, I'd be saluting every general or colonel whether they demanded it or. not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Nope look at the incoming smoke trail just above the wall on the lower right. 

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I watched it frame by frame, and I think that smoke trail is from the explosion. The vehicle appears to go over a hump and hit a depression, which is the exact moment the explosion goes off, and it looks like it's from underneath if you zoom in. I'm saying IED/mine. 

Yeah, it's a mine.  There's no smoke trail before the explosion -- it's a pressure wave or fragment right after the explosion.  Nor is there someone running away, like some Twitter comments say.  No hand-held anti-tank weapon would produce an explosion that big and send parts flying that far.

Here are some hand-held weapons and their explosions:

Compared to an anti-tank mine:

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Wonder if this is about Lukashenko either worrying that Belarus soldiers will mutiny, which will energize the anti-Lukashenko movement in Belarus, or if he's worried that if Russia sinks a shit-ton of his troops into Ukraine, that leaves him vulnerable.

Either way, this is a huge deal.  He was Putin's closest ally/lackey.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Two primary options: 1) The farmers have to park their loot somewhere so they can go back out and get another one. 2) The russians parked it there when looking for food in those houses.  I think it is #1

It looks to me like the Russians parked them there to discourage drone, ATGM, and especially artillery fire on the vehicles.  The Ukrainians won't want to risk killing their own civilians.  Of course, they are useless while they stay there, and exposed when they move out.  If I was one of those Russians I would keep an eye out to see if all of the civilians suddenly disappear.

Peter Gabriel is thinking big time.  Can Russia without Putin get clean in EU rehab?

https://petergabriel.com/news/out-of-ukraine/

The United Nations was created in response to the devastation of World War Two. Reactions to this brutal war in Ukraine are snowballing all over the world. This horrific, totally unnecessary and barbaric invasion should encourage us to imagine something different for the future. Something that might prevent a repeat of what we are now watching with such impotence; possessing nuclear weapons doesn’t seem to be enough.

The nature of war is evolving, a panel on future warfare in Davos was asked how long a human might survive on a battlefield equipped with robots and AI? ‘Approximately 17 seconds’ came the reply. But this war is already a war like no other, with banks versus tanks, with smart social media disinformation campaigns, with the seizing of superyachts and the assets of Putin cronies, with the band of global hackers Anonymous taking on the might of the military cyber-squads. Minute by minute reports and troop movements are being logged on an open map by young people with their mobile phones. This invasion is also uniting ordinary families all over the world with tech companies, sporting events, fashion houses, fast food outlets and credit card companies, all of whom want to show that they detest this war – this bloodshed, this merciless violence. Meanwhile, one man’s angry and paranoid fantasy of recreating a long-gone empire relentlessly rolls forward over thousands of bodies, not only of Ukrainians that wanted peace, but the bodies of his young conscripts who never wanted to kill their neighbours. Now they lie side by side in the streets, along with the dreams and hopes of a remarkable and brave nation.

This was the same nation that Russia, the US and the UK had promised to respect and protect in 1994’s Budapest Memorandum – when Ukraine agreed to surrender their Soviet arsenal of nuclear weapons and sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. As an independent nation within the UN, Russia also pledged never to attack another independent UN nation, and that – along with its blatant disregard for the Geneva convention, attacks on civilians and hospitals and use of thermobaric and phosphorous munitions – should require it, at the very least, to surrender its place in the UN Security Council.

Perhaps one of the West’s greatest recent miscalculations was not to bring Russia closer to Europe and NATO when the gloves were off, as the Soviet Union collapsed, and grab the moment to cement a real alliance. When Putin first came to power he asked for a fast-track to join NATO, a request we were dumb not to have taken seriously.

If we ignore the minor blip of Brexit, this invasion of Ukraine has united Europe (and the UK) like nothing else in recent times and this in turn, along with all the unique characteristics of this war, is creating all sorts of opportunities. Although we failed to respond properly to attacks in Syria and the Yemen we can now see the Ukrainian flag appearing all around the world in all manner of situations, even making it hard for information-controlling governments like the Chinese to keep it hidden. It is also appearing in protests all over Russia. Russia is not the enemy of peace, it’s not even the Russian government or most of the military, it is Vladimir Putin. The UK, having left the EU, is now standing beside its centuries old­ enemy France, its 20th century nemesis Germany and a big majority of the world’s governments in condemning Putin’s brutal war. There are connections being made, or remade, that need to be explored and harvested while the time is ripe.

The shining example of how Germany transformed itself by integrating its former Soviet controlled East with its capitalist West should be our real inspiration here. Our fight is not with the Russian people but with their leader. This could be a perfect time to invite the Russian people, when they have chosen a different leader, to be part of a new stabilising power block that could bring together all the former Soviet countries with the European Union to form a new entity, mighty enough to balance even the emerging dominance of China. We have so much shared history and culture, so many land borders, so many reasons to collaborate, that we must make sure that this sort of barbarism can never happen again within our expanded borders.

In Japan, kintsugi is the art of repair. It translates as ‘join with gold.’ It is the broken pot, put back together with gold, that has greater value than the original whole pot. Rescuing something, or someone, from destruction, from the edge of the void and from worthlessness, gives it, or them, greater value. In the parable of the prodigal son, it is the broken brother who returns repaired, who is given the big feast, really pissing off the brother who had, all the time, stayed good and whole.

Once this brutality stops, let’s give peace a permanent expanded home in this part of the world by sending out our invitations to all the peoples of Europe, alongside all the peoples of the former Soviet Union, to move to create a new stabilising force: a Eur-Russopia, or EUSSR.

– Peter Gabriel

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder if this is about Lukashenko either worrying that Belarus soldiers will mutiny, which will energize the anti-Lukashenko movement in Belarus, or if he's worried that if Russia sinks a shit-ton of his troops into Ukraine, that leaves him vulnerable.

Either way, this is a huge deal.  He was Putin's closest ally/lackey.

I'm of the mind putting the NATO fast reaction group on his border kept him at home.

In client state warfare is Belarus considered fair game or considered attacking RU?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Report on refugee influx at the Berlin Hbf from the boy (recall that he's made batches of b-fast tacos to take down there -- he wasn't able to get down to the station to make a personal delivery until today):

We told him that whatever budget he comes up with, we can get it covered.  He's working on his plan now.

From the biggest images of armored columns in flames, to the simplest - hungry people in a train station after an exhausting traveling day, having left behind their normal lives and homes -- the fucking story of war is fucking shit.

Really glad to see the donations here to WCK.  Jose Andres is one of the greatest humans alive right now, and what he is doing and has done transcends mere "good work."  If all you can do is feed people, then FEED PEOPLE.  Words don't do that man justice.

I'll kick in some to the taco fund

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Report on refugee influx at the Berlin Hbf from the boy (recall that he's made batches of b-fast tacos to take down there -- he wasn't able to get down to the station to make a personal delivery until today):

We told him that whatever budget he comes up with, we can get it covered.  He's working on his plan now.

From the biggest images of armored columns in flames, to the simplest - hungry people in a train station after an exhausting traveling day, having left behind their normal lives and homes -- the fucking story of war is fucking shit.

Really glad to see the donations here to WCK.  Jose Andres is one of the greatest humans alive right now, and what he is doing and has done transcends mere "good work."  If all you can do is feed people, then FEED PEOPLE.  Words don't do that man justice.

Have him set up a cash app account 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It would be suicidal-stupid for Russia to move on the Baltics, but at this point, I'm back around to the odds favoring such a move.  Because Russia has left no path for itself other than violent conquest until it it stopped.  Russia will not stop until someone stops it.

Brisket, I like you, and not just because we share a mutual obsession admiration of Sela Ward, but Russia can't even take Kyiv, and you think they can try and take the Baltics as well?

We are nearly three full weeks into a 3-day war, and Russia ain't going to conquer Ukraine.  When we did Iraq in 1991, everybody knew within the first 24 hours that we were going to fuck Iraq up.  Here we are, and while there are memes of Ukrainian farmers stealing Russian tanks, the thing is, it's the actual fucking truth - they are constantly hauling off valuable Russian vehicles that Russia is no longer able to replace.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

To be clear, I don't want that AT ALL.

I just see it as inevitable.  Putin wants to engage with NATO.  His psychotic ego demands it.  Thus, he will find a way to do so.

I don't want ANY of this shit to happen.  But there's a narcissist psychopath in charge of a military and nation with a deep psychosis.  He's going to do his best to get us all killed.  He may well succeed.

Have you seen all of the photos and videos, the real ones, not the fake meme ones, of Putin doing green screen stuff, or sitting at long tables or at the other side of the room away from his sycophants and military leaders?

The man is fucking scared.  Scared of COVID, scared of assassination, doesn't matter, he's fucking scared, and you think he's willing to risk NATO reaching out and touching him?

Ukraine has exposed all of the weaknesses of his military, of the system that rewarded generals and businesses who were skimming the military budget for their own gains.

We see Russian units that don't know what the fuck is going on with other Russian units who are a few miles down the road, and none of them can seem to truly operate and maneuver at night. Your typical Russian soldier seems to operate in a vacuum, which is the opposite of Western-trained and equipped soldiers.

NATO actually knows how to do combined arms assault, they have air forces that would decimate Russian artillery and armor, and they have extremely integrated systems that would see troops responding at a speed at which the Russians can't comprehend.  Many of NATO's average soldiers have night vision, optics on their rifles, access to GPS systems, the ability to instantly start calling in aerial or other assets, and those aerial assets will actually respond.

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

dumb question alert...is English the most likely common language among them? like they might all speak slightly different Slavic languages but they all speak English? 

All of them are former Soviet countries, so I bet Russian is the common language for them.

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'm of the mind putting the NATO fast reaction group on his border kept him at home.

In client state warfare is Belarus considered fair game or considered attacking RU?

Pretty sure Belarus has a few treaties with Russia.

I think he has more to worry about among his own population.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Brisket, I like you, and not just because we share a mutual obsession admiration of Sela Ward, but Russia can't even take Kyiv, and you think they can try and take the Baltics as well?

We are nearly three full weeks into a 3-day war, and Russia ain't going to conquer Ukraine.  When we did Iraq in 1991, everybody knew within the first 24 hours that we were going to fuck Iraq up.  Here we are, and while there are memes of Ukrainian farmers stealing Russian tanks, the thing is, it's the actual fucking truth - they are constantly hauling off valuable Russian vehicles that Russia is no longer able to replace.

Have you seen all of the photos and videos, the real ones, not the fake meme ones, of Putin doing green screen stuff, or sitting at long tables or at the other side of the room away from his sycophants and military leaders?

The man is fucking scared.  Scared of COVID, scared of assassination, doesn't matter, he's fucking scared, and you think he's willing to risk NATO reaching out and touching him?

Ukraine has exposed all of the weaknesses of his military, of the system that rewarded generals and businesses who were skimming the military budget for their own gains.

We see Russian units that don't know what the fuck is going on with other Russian units who are a few miles down the road, and none of them can seem to truly operate and maneuver at night. Your typical Russian soldier seems to operate in a vacuum, which is the opposite of Western-trained and equipped soldiers.

NATO actually knows how to do combined arms assault, they have air forces that would decimate Russian artillery and armor, and they have extremely integrated systems that would see troops responding at a speed at which the Russians can't comprehend.  Many of NATO's average soldiers have night vision, optics on their rifles, access to GPS systems, the ability to instantly start calling in aerial or other assets, and those aerial assets will actually respond.

Counterpoint.....psychopaths will go all-in with a pair of deuces.

200_s.gif

All he has to do to win is to make NATO falter or hesitate.  Maybe it's a longshot.  But also, at this point....maybe he doesn't have much else to lose?  Another 50,000 dead Russian pawns is nothing to him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

The current analysis is that Belarus only has 6 BTGs, and they're equipped and trained worse than the Russian troops are. Lukashenko is seeing some unrest in his country and would rather keep his military there to protect him.

That would be the smart play for Lukashenko.....and shit, here's hoping it's still not enough.  Would love to see a mutiny/uprising in Belarus right now.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I would donate to Tito's Tacos for Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That would be the smart play for Lukashenko.....and shit, here's hoping it's still not enough.  Would love to see a mutiny/uprising in Belarus right now.  

Uprisings in Belarus and other countries under Russia's wing are one of the few things that would cause Putin to change course.

11 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

All of them are former Soviet countries, so I bet Russian is the common language for them.

Might be, but you'd be surprised.  Working in India I thought they were speaking English so I could understand, but come to find out that was the only language they all shared.

Even if they all speak Russian, because of the optics they're speaking english so the Russians can't use it as propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So long as Ukraine remains a chew-toy tug o' war rope between east and west this is going to flare up from time to time, and the only long-term solution is to remove it from play.

We need to enforce a muscular neutrality on Ukraine. I am not calling for Putin to be able to get in there and install another puppet. A truly neutral Ukraine with UN troops on the ground and observing the elections if necessary. Instead of forcing Russia to pay for reparations, we make that optional for them, even as we go in full bore with a Marshall Plan 2. While Russia tumps over their vodka-sodden couch trying to scrounge a few stray kopecks, the west is out there rebuilding the country and handing out candy, flowers, and construction contracts.

And again, we make Kyiv a banking center to rival or surpass London. Ukraine becomes a giant Switzerland with worse chocolate but hotter women. 

We let Vlad keep Crimea and those little provinces over there so he can claim a grand victory while our sanctions drag on and on and more and more people figure out what a shitheel he is. CIA, MI-5 and all the other western intelligence agencies are working on the oligarchs...

Or we can act rashly on the contigencies of the moment and possibly spiral all out into nuclear war. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

And...wouldn't an attack that harmed/killed any of them be considered an act of war against a NATO country triggering Art. 5?

Possibly, that is why I asked the question. It seems Putin would have to be aware and was okay with it. You would think that Russia would have a satellite focused on the train and Kyiv and could pretty well pinpoint the location of the meeting and could target Zelensky.

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So long as Ukraine remains a chew-toy tug o' war rope between east and west this is going to flare up from time to time, and the only long-term solution is to remove it from play.

We need to enforce a muscular neutrality on Ukraine. I am not calling for Putin to be able to get in there and install another puppet. A truly neutral Ukraine with UN troops on the ground and observing the elections if necessary. Instead of forcing Russia to pay for reparations, we make that optional for them, even as we go in full bore with a Marshall Plan 2. While Russia tumps over their vodka-sodden couch trying to scrounge a few stray kopecks, the west is out there rebuilding the country and handing out candy, flowers, and construction contracts.

And again, we make Kyiv a banking center to rival or surpass London. Ukraine becomes a giant Switzerland with worse chocolate but hotter women. 

We let Vlad keep Crimea and those little provinces over there so he can claim a grand victory while our sanctions drag on and on and more and more people figure out what a shitheel he is. CIA, MI-5 and all the other western intelligence agencies are working on the oligarchs...

Or we can act rashly on the contigencies of the moment and possibly spiral all out into nuclear war. 

...with worse chocolate but hotter women

go on...

Some of you need to be realistic about Russian and Chinese intentions.   They lie to your face, to your friends, to your enemies and then to you again.    Everything they do is for the benefit of the ruling elite (hey, that sounds familiar!) And they don't care about regular people.

As for all these ideas of no-fly zones...   Stop.   We're not getting involved at this time like that.  And the circumstances that would result in it are scary.

• Hook 'Em 8

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Legit question: Can we do a tortilla drive and how many tortillas do you think we can send across the pond? Bacon, eggs, potatoes, and cheese can be grabbed there, but tortillas and canned refried beans could be imported. The boy could set up a breakfast taco station and feed as many people as supplies allow.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Legit question: Can we do a tortilla drive and how many tortillas do you think we can send across the pond? Bacon, eggs, potatoes, and cheese can be grabbed there, but tortillas and canned refried beans could be imported. The boy could set up a breakfast taco station and feed as many people as supplies allow.

Easier to send Masa. And I bet you can get it somewhere there. hell there was as Mexican restaurant in Bosnia in 1997. Either way I am in.