Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

He can’t block you if I recall correctly. He is violating what the supremes set forth.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

I think it depends if it's their official or personal account.

Also does it matter if you are their constituent or not?

Live updates from NYTimes reporters on Zelensky's address:

SPOILERED FOR LENGHT - READ FROM BOTTOM UP

Spoiler

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:28 a.m. ETJust Now
Just now
Anton TroianovskiReporting from Istanbul
We just saw the latest chapter in Zelensky’s extraordinary emergence as a leader on the world stage. Just four years ago, he was best known as a television comedian who played the Ukrainian president on TV.

Catie Edmondson
March 16, 2022, 9:26 a.m. ET3 minutes ago
3 minutes ago
Catie EdmondsonReporting from Washington
An early reaction from Jason Crow, a Democratic congressman from Colorado and an Army vet: “I think we need to push for more security assurance.” Expect to hear more of this from Democrats, especially after that video.

John Ismay
March 16, 2022, 9:25 a.m. ET4 minutes ago
4 minutes ago
John Ismay
Zelensky ends with a clear message to Congress that speaks to the role America claims for itself in the free world: “To be the leader of the world is to be the leader of peace.”

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:24 a.m. ET4 minutes ago
4 minutes ago
Those images we saw in that searing video are not being shown on Russian television — or if they are, the anchors are telling their viewers that they were faked. This war is also being fought in the media. Domestically inside Russia, the Kremlin has a powerful advantage because it controls the television airwaves.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:23 a.m. ET6 minutes ago
6 minutes ago
David E. SangerReporting from Washington
“To be the leader of the world means to be the leader of peace.” He is making the case that whether or not Ukraine is a member of NATO, it is a democracy that deserves allies and protection.

John Ismay
March 16, 2022, 9:22 a.m. ET7 minutes ago
7 minutes ago
John Ismay
This is an emotionally effective video. Life in Ukraine before is replaced by life there now: Russian weapons exploding as they hit apartment buildings, dead being placed in mass graves, blood on the floor as the wounded are treated, tearful goodbyes.

Catie Edmondson
March 16, 2022, 9:22 a.m. ET7 minutes ago
7 minutes ago
Lawmakers were listening intently as Zelensky’s remarks were being translated. But now, as he speaks to them in his own voice following that devastating video, the tension in the room is palpable.

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:21 a.m. ET8 minutes ago
8 minutes ago
Zelensky, who has a background in the entertainment industry, has always been keenly aware of the power of images in politics. During the war, he has been recording multiple videos daily to rally his people.

Catie Edmondson
March 16, 2022, 9:21 a.m. ET8 minutes ago
8 minutes ago
Lawmakers are audibly sniffing back tears, David.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:20 a.m. ET9 minutes ago
9 minutes ago
Zelensky shares a video, which is graphic, heartwrenching — and searing. How normalcy turns to terror. I can’t recall the last time something like this was shown to an open session of Congress.

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:19 a.m. ET10 minutes ago
10 minutes ago
Zelensky is asking for “new alliances.” He has already acknowledged that Ukraine would not be accepted into NATO soon. Amid Ukraine’s talks with Russia to try to end the war, Zelensky is looking for some other way to have other nations guarantee Ukraine’s future sovereignty.

John Ismay
March 16, 2022, 9:18 a.m. ET11 minutes ago
11 minutes ago
John Ismay
“I call on you to do more” Zelensky asks Congress “until the Russian military machine stops.”

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:17 a.m. ET12 minutes ago
12 minutes ago
Zelensky wants all American companies to leave the Russian market immediately. Some analysts caution that these moves affecting regular Russians could backfire by strengthening Putin’s narrative that the West is determined to destroy their country.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:17 a.m. ET12 minutes ago
12 minutes ago
“Peace is more important than income” — the rallying call for sanctions.

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:15 a.m. ET14 minutes ago
14 minutes ago
Zelensky calls for “new packages of sanctions” every week. The sanctions so far have already delivered a crushing blow to the Russian economy, with experts predicting that the country faces a default on its debt.

Catie Edmondson
14 minutes ago
Here’s an unusually direct call to action from Zelensky to lawmakers: if they have companies in their district that can send Ukraine aid, he says, they must do so.

Catie Edmondson
14 minutes ago
“I call on you to do more,” Zelensky tells Congress. Senators will be briefed later this afternoon on a new tranche of arms the Biden administration plans to send Kyiv.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:14 a.m. ET15 minutes ago
15 minutes ago
Anton, he’s likely to get those air defense systems; it is already the No. 1 subject of conversation in the Biden administration. The question is whether he will get them fast enough.

Valerie Hopkins
15 minutes ago
Valerie HopkinsReporting from Lviv, Ukraine
Zelensky invokes the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in saying “I have a dream,” and then saying “I have a need” to protect the sky, as he presses Congress for a no-fly zone.

John Ismay
15 minutes ago
John Ismay
“Is this too much to ask?” President Zelensky asks of a NATO no-fly zone, which President Biden and the Pentagon have firmly rejected. If it is, he suggests, he’ll take more weapons instead.

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:13 a.m. ET16 minutes ago
16 minutes ago
Zelensky is asking for sophisticated air defense systems and combat aircraft. Russia claims it has air superiority throughout Ukraine.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:13 a.m. ET16 minutes ago
16 minutes ago
His first request is a no-fly zone, which he knows is a no-go in Washington: It would put American pilots right up against Russian pilots. So he pivots right away to his next asks.

John Ismay
March 16, 2022, 9:12 a.m. ET17 minutes ago
17 minutes ago
John Ismay
President Zelensky is layering in American touchstones in his address: Mount Rushmore to discuss shared values, Pearl Harbor and 9/11 to recall shared threats

Catie Edmondson
17 minutes ago
Zelensky is speaking to lawmakers who have been eager — often more eager than the White House — to send him more arms. This speech will only increase that appetite on Capitol Hill.

Anton Troianovski
17 minutes ago
David, indeed: Feb. 24, 2022, the day Putin launched his invasion, felt like a turning point of a similar magnitude for modern Europe.

John Ismay
March 16, 2022, 9:11 a.m. ET18 minutes ago
18 minutes ago
John Ismay
Zelensky says, “Right now the destiny of our country is being decided.”

David E. Sanger
18 minutes ago
“Remember Pearl Harbor,” and “Remember Sept. 11”: Zelensky is putting the Russian invasion in the litany of traumas suffered by the United States.

Anton Troianovski
18 minutes ago
Referring to Russian aggression since 2014, Zelensky noted that the conflict with Russia started with the annexation of Crimea and the war fought by Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:09 a.m. ET20 minutes ago
20 minutes ago
By using the phrase “the worst war since World War II,” Zelensky is invoking a moment of unity for the West that he hopes will resonate in the current day.

Anton Troianovski
March 16, 2022, 9:06 a.m. ET23 minutes ago
23 minutes ago
This is the latest in a series of appeals by Zelensky to Western lawmakers. He’s also addressed the Canadian Parliament, Britain’s House of Commons and the European Parliament this month.

Catie Edmondson
March 16, 2022, 9:05 a.m. ET24 minutes ago
24 minutes ago
Chris Coons, a Democratic senator from Delaware and a close confidant of Biden’s, told me before the speech that he had never seen a world leader step up to the plate as compellingly as Zelensky had in the past weeks. He was brought to tears by one of the last conversations he had with the Ukrainian president, he said.  
Catie Edmondson
March 16, 2022, 9:05 a.m. ET24 minutes ago
24 minutes ago
The auditorium has burst into a standing ovation as Zelensky appears on screen.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:03 a.m. ET26 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
We’ve never before seen a virtual address to Congress by a foreign leader. But whatever immediacy is lost in having him there in person should be made up for by his appeal from a war zone, at a moment that pressure on Kyiv is greater than ever.

David E. Sanger
March 16, 2022, 9:00 a.m. ET29 minutes ago
29 minutes ago
Zelensky has multiple tasks this morning: He has to be inspiring, as he was with the British Parliament, as a Churchill-in-a-T-shirt facing down the Russians. He has to show appreciation for the aid provided so far — and explain why it is not nearly enough. And he has to walk a fine line about what kind of aid that would be, since President Biden is determined not to put the U.S. in direct combat opposition to Russian forces.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I mean that Russia can formally reinstate the death penalty.  Medvedev had flagged this as a benefit of leaving the council a couple weeks back. 

Really hope that clears the way for Putin to be swinging from the gallows pole. You know, to keep it legal and such. Otherwise it could be awhile before he is close enough to a balcony to lose his "balance".

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Losing millions of young men in the 1940s put a ripple in their population age demos that is still there, as many of those men did not procreate. Maybe we are at the right time point for that missing generation, and it has to be made up by older and younger?

Didn't stop China.  I think while this was a factor, their shit-tastic economy for decades was probably a more significant factor.  Chronic depression, economic stagnation, mass UE and "under" employment led to lean times (and helped facilitate the rise of a charismatic Putin).

8 hours ago, pops said:

Good god.... they are fucking kids. Fuck putin in the goat ass. I honestly can't believe I grew up in the 80s worried about fucking Russia. They suck. 

This is what the majority of everyone’s armed forces looks like age wise. If there’s anything I hate about war movies it’s the preponderance of 30-40 year olds taking the place of the teenagers and early 20 somethings that actually did most of the fighting. My grandfather was 26 when WWII started and everyone in his Seabee unit referred to him as some derivative of grandpa. 

Also, you were right to fear the Soviets in the 80’s. The current Russian military is only a shadow of the Red Army. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ok.  It doesn’t need republican or democrat takes.  But the conflict is inherently political, you can’t say it’s not.  

And therefore policy discussions should go in the CR thread. Let this be a news thread. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This is what the majority of everyone’s armed forces looks like age wise. If there’s anything I hate about war movies it’s the preponderance of 30-40 year olds taking the place of the teenagers and early 20 somethings that actually did most of the fighting. My grandfather was 26 when WWII started and everyone in his Seabee unit referred to him as some derivative of grandpa. 

Also, you were right to fear the Soviets in the 80’s. The current Russian military is only a shadow of the Red Army. 

This is exactly right. The age in the US is higher than most other places. In Israel it is mandatory at age 18 for both men and women.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

One of his best books, and not long before he died, uggh.

Speaking of authors, etc.

Like I said weeks ago, would love to have Tom Clancy, Larry Bond and plenty of other Cold War writers chime in on this stuff.  Hell, would have liked to have had Colin Powell's and Norman Schwarzkopf's takes on this.  

Especially Schwarzkopf's take - not only because of the group he led during the first Gulf War, and showing how to do combined-arms right, but he was born in '34, and served through the peak years of the Cold War, from the Cuban Missile Crisis up through the '80s.

Comstock Lode says hi. I did enjoy LotB, though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

When does The Hague release its decision?

Honest question, say The Hague says Putin has committed war crimes what happens?  Doesn't someone need to go grab him to make him stand trial?  Does this just give other Russian leaders an "out" to turn the old Bunker Dwarf over and remove him from power?

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Honest question, say The Hague says Putin has committed war crimes what happens?  Doesn't someone need to go grab him to make him stand trial?  Does this just give other Russian leaders an "out" to turn the old Bunker Dwarf over and remove him from power?

Purely symbolic.  We've already hit them with all the sanctions at our disposal.  Short of military action (which better not happen), it's just another checked box in the "Putin is a piece of dick" folder

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Purely symbolic.  We've already hit them with all the sanctions at our disposal.  Short of military action (which better not happen), it's just another checked box in the "Putin is a piece of dick" folder

While this is mostly true, it also officially restricts the travel permanently and for life those who are convicted to basically any country in the world who takes part in global anything. Basically if the UN doesn't matter to you it's totally fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

None of this will surprise any of us, but if you have any friends/family who are curious about how things are going militarily and why they are going the way they are, this guy has a really good breakdown (he's a retired officer, written a bunch for Military.com, etc.).

I subscribe to Ward Carrol's channel because I used to deploy on carriers with F14 squadrons for training on computer systems. I've even me a few of the people he has had on.  Cool channel.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t have that. Was it a glitch?  Like I don’t have that forum, sir. That’s probably a good thing. Given my impulse control lately.

Sure you do. Just hover your mouse over the dots between DT and food and travel. 

FE728C24-BA54-4083-9C72-049968F4D496.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's not true at all.  Compare our sanctions against Russia with those we have in place against Iran, North Korea, and other state sponsors of terrorism, and you'll see that there is a lot by way of additional sanctions that we can put in place.

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sure you do. Just hover your mouse over the dots between DT and food and travel. 

FE728C24-BA54-4083-9C72-049968F4D496.gif

What the actual fuck.  Nobody tells me about this shit.......as I slowly close my office door and tilt my screens away from the door.......

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

What the actual fuck.  Nobody tells me about this shit.......as I slowly close my office door and tilt my screens away from the door.......

Yep. Been sending my nudes into an actual void. That’s sad. Hopefully they can’t be weaponized.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1