Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

"Putin Needs an Off Ramp"

Great article from The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/03/west-save-putin-russia-ukraine/627051/

"Ultimately, diplomacy will have to get each side to agree to a deal that allows each to save its dignity—even though one side does not deserve to have its dignity saved."

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

No shit! I mean CNN with the Cuomo shit for basically a year. Lemons and Limes. There really isn’t a great 24/7 news. 

I needed a comfort blanket watching that Jeffrey Toobin apology when his CNN colleague went all in on him 

Edited by rpspeed

29 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It's graphic because murderous campaigns of subjugation and genocide are graphic.

Russia is a murderous, genocidal state.  Full stop.  That's it.  That's what it is, and that's how it should be treated.  It has no place in any community of nations.  Wall it off.  Bleed it whenever it is outside the walls, and starve whatever is inside those walls.

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

"Putin Needs an Off Ramp"

Great article from The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/03/west-save-putin-russia-ukraine/627051/

"Ultimately, diplomacy will have to get each side to agree to a deal that allows each to save its dignity—even though one side does not deserve to have its dignity saved."

There really isn't one.  Putin will not accept any outcome that has Ukraine continuing to have actual sovereignty over Ukrainian soil.  The only way out of this is THROUGH it.  Kill all the invaders.  Destroy all their equipment.  All of it.  To the last man.  To the last truck.

Any alternative solution has to come from inside Russia and Russian leadership.  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 5

Kyiv region, racist equipment destroyed.

In the Kharkiv region, 40 artillery brigades attacked Russian terrorists today.

Berdyansk is Ukraine 🇺🇦

Energoatom showed a photo of the building of the Zaporizhzhya NPP training center in Energodar destroyed by the Russian occupiers.

Also, Kadyrov is still a liar:

The Head of Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov did not come to Kyiv a few days ago.

According to the data of Ukrainian mobile operators, his numbers were never connected to Ukrainian roaming, Ukrainian Pravda

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Good Twitter thread.  Long.  So I spoiled it.  

Reveal hidden contents

So…the point of that is to say what? De-escalate a murderous fuck like Putin by making him feel safe? Hopefully, this will come in handy once he’s finished killing all Ukrainian citizens? 

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Great piece.

Takeaway: at some point, responding parties have to draw a line in the sand and stop giving Putin what he wants (de-escalation and a win).  Ukraine is that opportunity.  We didn't choose this.  Ukraine didn't choose this.  But this is the time and place.  

Russia needs to be defeated and pushed back.  Unless and until they are, Putin will not stop.  We got a good lesson in this in the run up to WWII.  We should heed it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So…the point of that is to say what? De-escalate a murderous fuck like Putin by making him feel safe? Hopefully, this will come in handy once he’s finished killing all Ukrainian citizens? 

No it's the opposite of what you understood. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That is an awesome thread and the last part about embolding Putin over the years (just as Europe did w/ Hitler), is dead-on-balls-accurate, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'd also add that avoiding a full world war is also an issue. We all feel for Ukraine, but it's one country. If Russia takes it we can continue to isolate them for their evil. But I truly believe that he will stop there because he knows any attack on NATO would be his demise. It's why he's confident right now, Ukraine is not NATO, and NATO has avoided direct conflict. If he goes for the Baltics, he knows he's fucked, and he won't do that under any circumstance. And if for some dumbass reason he does, then we'd see what so many want, direct intervention and destruction of Russia, but millions will die and millions more will be negatively affected by nukes.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I subscribe to Ward Carrol's channel because I used to deploy on carriers with F14 squadrons for training on computer systems. I've even me a few of the people he has had on.  Cool channel.

Just watched it.  Very informative.  As suspected, the Russians just aren’t as formidable as they portend to be.  But the question really is, how desperate do they become, and to what levels of depravity do they stoop, when it becomes that they are going to prevail using standard tactical strategies?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The thread overlooks that one of the primary "goals" is to avoid nuclear war. Direct intervention by the US and/or NATO means a strong likelihood of nuclear war. That's the big difference here. If Russia didn't have nukes and the long cold war history, I bet we'd have fucked them up by now. I'm almost to the point of saying fuck it, give it a go and hope he doesn't use nukes, because he might use them anyway if he's losing. But the thread needs to acknowledge that the nuclear issue is the major, if not sole, reason the west has avoided direct intervention, not some namby pamby weakness or love for diplomacy.

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'd also add that avoiding a full world war is also an issue. We all feel for Ukraine, but it's one country. If Russia takes it we can continue to isolate them for their evil. But I truly believe that he will stop there because he knows any attack on NATO would be his demise. It's why he's confident right now, Ukraine is not NATO, and NATO has avoided direct conflict. If he goes for the Baltics, he knows he's fucked, and he won't do that under any circumstance. And if for some dumbass reason he does, then we'd see what so many want, direct intervention and destruction of Russia, but millions will die and millions more will be negatively affected by nukes.

Which is why I believe that our current approach to engagement is spot-on.  

We have been given an opportunity to effectively draw a line in the sand to Putin without having to engage directly.  That's why I said Ukraine is a particular place and time; as horrific and enraging as it is, it is also an opportunity.  The toughness, resilience, and fighting spirit of the Ukrainian military and people have given the world a tremendous opportunity.  We are exploiting it, as we should.

And the sanctions ARE a direct engagement -- we need to keep them up, and do more.  This is as good a script as you can write for how to stand up to someone like Putin without engaging in face-to-face actual combat.

• Hook 'Em 4

just looked up that Russia has 1 million active troops and 2 million reserves.  He wants Syrians as cannon fodder, best to sacrifice them then his own guys, what a bum!

So with 3 million guys, how long will Putin push this?  His trash army has bogged down, can't do a damn thing. Will this be over by July 4th?

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The thread overlooks that one of the primary "goals" is to avoid nuclear war. Direct intervention by the US and/or NATO means a strong likelihood of nuclear war. That's the big difference here. If Russia didn't have nukes and the long cold war history, I bet we'd have fucked them up by now. I'm almost to the point of saying fuck it, give it a go and hope he doesn't use nukes, because he might use them anyway if he's losing. But the thread needs to acknowledge that the nuclear issue is the major, if not sole, reason the west has avoided direct intervention, not some namby pamby weakness or love for diplomacy.

what if we were losing?

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

just looked up that Russia has 1 million active troops and 2 million reserves.  He wants Syrians as cannon fodder, best to sacrifice them then his own guys, what a bum!

So with 3 million guys, how long will Putin push this?  His trash army has bogged down, can't do a damn thing. Will this be over by July 4th?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/03/10/does-russia-have-enough-troops-to-take-ukraine-heres-where-its-manpower-stands---and-why-its-recruiting-foreign-soldiers/?sh=2e530da64d82

• Hook 'Em 1

From the UN's decision:

https://www.icj-cij.org/public/files/case-related/182/182-20220316-ORD-01-00-EN.pdf

THE COURT,
Indicates the following provisional measures:

(1) By thirteen votes to two,
The Russian Federation shall immediately suspend the military operations that it commenced
on 24 February 2022 in the territory of Ukraine;

IN FAVOUR: President Donoghue; Judges Tomka, Abraham, Bennouna, Yusuf, Sebutinde,
Bhandari, Robinson, Salam, Iwasawa, Nolte, Charlesworth; Judge ad hoc Daudet;
AGAINST: Vice-President Gevorgian; Judge Xue;

(2) By thirteen votes to two,
The Russian Federation shall ensure that any military or irregular armed units which may be
directed or supported by it, as well as any organizations and persons which may be subject to its
control or direction, take no steps in furtherance of the military operations referred to in point (1)
above;

IN FAVOUR: President Donoghue; Judges Tomka, Abraham, Bennouna, Yusuf, Sebutinde,

(3) Unanimously,
Both Parties shall refrain from any action which might aggravate or extend the dispute before
the Court or make it more difficult to resolve.

Done in English and in French, the English text being authoritative, at the Peace Palace,
The Hague, this sixteenth day of March, two thousand and twenty-two, in three copies, one of which
will be placed in the archives of the Court and the others transmitted to the Government of Ukraine
and the Government of the Russian Federation, respectively.

(Signed) Joan E. DONOGHUE,
President.

(Signed) Philippe GAUTIER,
Registrar.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, MillerEP said:

From the UN's decision:

https://www.icj-cij.org/public/files/case-related/182/182-20220316-ORD-01-00-EN.pdf

THE COURT,
Indicates the following provisional measures:

(1) By thirteen votes to two,
The Russian Federation shall immediately suspend the military operations that it commenced
on 24 February 2022 in the territory of Ukraine;

(2) By thirteen votes to two,
The Russian Federation shall ensure that any military or irregular armed units which may be
directed or supported by it, as well as any organizations and persons which may be subject to its
control or direction, take no steps in furtherance of the military operations referred to in point (1)
above;

(3) Unanimously,
Both Parties shall refrain from any action which might aggravate or extend the dispute before
the Court or make it more difficult to resolve.

Done in English and in French, the English text being authoritative, at the Peace Palace,
The Hague, this sixteenth day of March, two thousand and twenty-two, in three copies, one of which
will be placed in the archives of the Court and the others transmitted to the Government of Ukraine
and the Government of the Russian Federation, respectively.

(Signed) Joan E. DONOGHUE,
President.

(Signed) Philippe GAUTIER,
Registrar.

So a strongly worded letter?  Nice.

I think the most incredible takeaway so far is that the Donbas area has been turned against Russia.  That takes serious talent, to destroy an allied region and turn it into an enemy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

So a strongly worded letter?  Nice.

I think the most incredible takeaway so far is that the Donbas area has been turned against Russia.  That takes serious talent, to destroy an allied region and turn it into an enemy.

Well, that long twitter thread posted last page goes into significant detail about why.  Russian control=thug rule.  Those people have been terrorized by thugs for going on 8 years and now is their chance to be free of it and they are jumping at the chance.  

Putin=government by goons, and that's what he exports.  

• Hook 'Em 1