Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

The possibility of a "wider alliance" outside Nato is an interesting idea (and one that kind of worries me).  The Poles really hate the Russians, and I could easily see them, the Czechs, and the Slovaks intervening.  I didn't think that was really possible, but now that Russia has shown some weakness, I wonder if the old Warsaw Pact crew don't think it might be time to go exact some revenge.

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Report on refugee influx at the Berlin Hbf from the boy (recall that he's made batches of b-fast tacos to take down there -- he wasn't able to get down to the station to make a personal delivery until today):

We told him that whatever budget he comes up with, we can get it covered.  He's working on his plan now.

From the biggest images of armored columns in flames, to the simplest - hungry people in a train station after an exhausting traveling day, having left behind their normal lives and homes -- the fucking story of war is fucking shit.

Really glad to see the donations here to WCK.  Jose Andres is one of the greatest humans alive right now, and what he is doing and has done transcends mere "good work."  If all you can do is feed people, then FEED PEOPLE.  Words don't do that man justice.

He's going to "upscale" his operation?  What the fuck does that even mean?  He's going to start rolling out foie gras on his goddamned breakfast tacos?  Or maybe some of that Russian Osetra that you now can't get?

Yeah--actually caviar breakfast tacos sound pretty goddamned good.

27 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So long as Ukraine remains a chew-toy tug o' war rope between east and west this is going to flare up from time to time, and the only long-term solution is to remove it from play.

We need to enforce a muscular neutrality on Ukraine. I am not calling for Putin to be able to get in there and install another puppet. A truly neutral Ukraine with UN troops on the ground and observing the elections if necessary. Instead of forcing Russia to pay for reparations, we make that optional for them, even as we go in full bore with a Marshall Plan 2. While Russia tumps over their vodka-sodden couch trying to scrounge a few stray kopecks, the west is out there rebuilding the country and handing out candy, flowers, and construction contracts.

And again, we make Kyiv a banking center to rival or surpass London. Ukraine becomes a giant Switzerland with worse chocolate but hotter women. 

We let Vlad keep Crimea and those little provinces over there so he can claim a grand victory while our sanctions drag on and on and more and more people figure out what a shitheel he is. CIA, MI-5 and all the other western intelligence agencies are working on the oligarchs...

Or we can act rashly on the contigencies of the moment and possibly spiral all out into nuclear war. 

I think what you're envisioning is something like the 1839 Treaty of London, in which France, Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria, and the Netherlands (1) recognized Belgium's independence, and (2) guaranteed Belgian neutrality, meaning that if Belgium was ever invaded, they would all go to war to protect Belgium.  We could do something similar through the UN--Ukraine would agree that it will remain neutral, and the UNSC permanent members would guarantee its neutrality, independence, and territorial integrity.

I could see Russia keeping Crimea.  But they shouldn't get the Donbas--that's too valuable a territory.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shit can change fast in that part of the world. 

Correct.  And Putin remembers that.  He won't make the mistake of exposing himself to a popular uprising.

It will have to be a palace coup, and I bet he's one paranoid motherfucker about who gets into the "palace" these days.  It really will just have to be one guy acting alone, I think.  So, I don't hold out much hope.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.  And Putin remembers that.  He won't make the mistake of exposing himself to a popular uprising.

It will have to be a palace coup, and I bet he's one paranoid motherfucker about who gets into the "palace" these days.  It really will just have to be one guy acting alone, I think.  So, I don't hold out much hope.

I hope dude wears a GoPro when he does it

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hope dude wears a GoPro when he does it

Not gonna happen.

Your optimism about the possible outcomes here is wildly misplaced.

We're dealing with a psychopath who is backed into a corner, and will not compromise, as he faces an opponent literally fighting for its existence.  Remember Brisket's rule 1 -- it only gets worse.  I'm not ROOTING for a wider war involving NATO, I'm simply telling you that it's becoming more and more likely, and that's almost entirely due to things that are within Putin's control.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The possibility of a "wider alliance" outside Nato is an interesting idea (and one that kind of worries me).  The Poles really hate the Russians, and I could easily see them, the Czechs, and the Slovaks intervening.  I didn't think that was really possible, but now that Russia has shown some weakness, I wonder if the old Warsaw Pact crew don't think it might be time to go exact some revenge.

He's going to "upscale" his operation?  What the fuck does that even mean?  He's going to start rolling out foie gras on his goddamned breakfast tacos?  Or maybe some of that Russian Osetra that you now can't get?

I think what you're envisioning is something like the 1839 Treaty of London, in which France, Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria, and the Netherlands (1) recognized Belgium's independence, and (2) guaranteed Belgian neutrality, meaning that if Belgium was ever invaded, they would all go to war to protect Belgium.  We could do something similar through the UN--Ukraine would agree that it will remain neutral, and the UNSC permanent members would guarantee its neutrality, independence, and territorial integrity.

I could see Russia keeping Crimea.  But they shouldn't get the Donbas--that's too valuable a territory.

This why I think Ukraine should go all in on territorial demands.   Tell Russia, we want Donbask AND Crimea back, then we talk about guaranteed Ukrainian neutrality.   

Until, that time, bring it on, bitches.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think upscale in @Brisketexan-ese means to scale up, as in to grow in size vs upscale which makes me think of Christy Brinkley in "Uptown Girl"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Not gonna happen.

We're dealing with a psychopath who is backed into a corner, and will not compromise, as he faces an opponent literally fighting for its existence.  Remember Brisket's rule 1 -- it only gets worse.  I'm not ROOTING for a wider war involving NATO, I'm simply telling you that it's becoming more and more likely, and that's almost entirely due to things that are within Putin's control.

Dr. Yueh to the courtesy phone. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At some point maybe someone will just put locks on the outside of the doors and cut his internet. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not gonna happen.

This is where we differ. I believe there are short-term wins on the way to our inevitable doom as a species.

I think this will happen here. Russian troops have a pretty long tradition of mutiny, too. A lone trusted assassin is not the only hand that can win this game.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Brisket, I like you, and not just because we share a mutual obsession admiration of Sela Ward, but Russia can't even take Kyiv, and you think they can try and take the Baltics as well?

We are nearly three full weeks into a 3-day war, and Russia ain't going to conquer Ukraine.  When we did Iraq in 1991, everybody knew within the first 24 hours that we were going to fuck Iraq up.  Here we are, and while there are memes of Ukrainian farmers stealing Russian tanks, the thing is, it's the actual fucking truth - they are constantly hauling off valuable Russian vehicles that Russia is no longer able to replace.

Have you seen all of the photos and videos, the real ones, not the fake meme ones, of Putin doing green screen stuff, or sitting at long tables or at the other side of the room away from his sycophants and military leaders?

The man is fucking scared.  Scared of COVID, scared of assassination, doesn't matter, he's fucking scared, and you think he's willing to risk NATO reaching out and touching him?

Ukraine has exposed all of the weaknesses of his military, of the system that rewarded generals and businesses who were skimming the military budget for their own gains.

We see Russian units that don't know what the fuck is going on with other Russian units who are a few miles down the road, and none of them can seem to truly operate and maneuver at night. Your typical Russian soldier seems to operate in a vacuum, which is the opposite of Western-trained and equipped soldiers.

NATO actually knows how to do combined arms assault, they have air forces that would decimate Russian artillery and armor, and they have extremely integrated systems that would see troops responding at a speed at which the Russians can't comprehend.  Many of NATO's average soldiers have night vision, optics on their rifles, access to GPS systems, the ability to instantly start calling in aerial or other assets, and those aerial assets will actually respond.

BoldSilentFrenchbulldog-size_restricted.gif.7bcaff338e2155be4b51e1c5dd282021.gif

Lulz.

• Drool 2

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think this will happen here. Russian troops have a pretty long tradition of mutiny, too. A lone trusted assassin is not the only hand that can win this game.

Actually, that's not wrong.

But it generally has to get a lot worse than what they're facing now.

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Correct, a bully isn't going to stop bullying until you punch him in the face. This has to end now, he can't be allowed to continue this behavior, it has been rewarded in the past. No more.

Overheard in the nuclear apocalypse, “Well, at least we didn’t let him bully Ukraine.”

This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan. This is a nuclear superpower run by an evil dictator. The consequences for “punching him in the face” could be the end of every major Western city on earth.

If you think it’s worth it then OK. But that’s what you are advocating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

but again, has to be mild for folks who aren't used to any spice

Very important. When I was a young man in Spain my mom sent me some items from home. A jar of hot sauce being one of those things. The Spaniards were sweating, coughing and reacting poorly to the chili peppers in the sauce.

The moment I realized this was their first encounter with chili peppers I started to laugh. When they asked what was so funny, I explained the concept of "if it burns going in it will burn coming out."

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Overheard in the nuclear apocalypse, “Well, at least we didn’t let him bully Ukraine.”

This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan. This is a nuclear superpower run by an evil dictator. The consequences for “punching him in the face” could be the end of every major Western city on earth.

If you think it’s worth it then OK. But that’s what you are advocating.

Yes, you completely misunderstood what I am advocating for. I under no circumstances short of article 5 being triggered by Russia think we should get directly involved in this conflict and my post wasn't meant to elude to that either. Ukraine needs to be the ones punching him in the face, claw his eyes out and kick him in the nuts every chance they get.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

Sure hope Ukraine forces are getting all Ezekiel on motherfuckers 

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides By the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness
For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children…. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Sure hope Ukraine forces are getting all Ezekiel on motherfuckers 

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides By the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness
For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children…. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint.....psychopaths will go all-in with a pair of deuces.

All he has to do to win is to make NATO falter or hesitate.  Maybe it's a longshot.  But also, at this point....maybe he doesn't have much else to lose?  Another 50,000 dead Russian pawns is nothing to him.

Counter-Counterpoint: He can't go all-in with a pair of deuces because he doesn't have a pair of deuces.  He's committed something like 50% of his actual combat elements to Ukraine.  At most during our ventures in the Middle East, we never got above 30% (and that was only briefly), and we weren't losing thousands of soldiers and hundreds of vehicles every week.  In order for him to have a pair of deuces to go all-in with, he would have needed to do proper planning and preparation months or even years ago.  Bringing in Syrians and talking to the Chinese shows he's running on empty.

He's also done the opposite with NATO - strengthened it beyond anybody's wildest dreams, to the point where Germany is dropping billions on stealth fighters and Sweden and Finland have dropped their neutrality and their citizens are having conversations about joining NATO.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agree that he's a psychopath and he is backed into a corner.

But he's running out of time and troops and vehicles.  His economy has tanked, the manufacturing capacity of Russia will not be able to replace their losses in Ukraine (or apparently even build a simple fucking car).

Attacking NATO would not only hasten the demise of his military, it would end things for his oligarchs and it would get China firmly in Europe's corner, and Xi will bend Putin over a barrel, even more than he is doing now.

@Brisketexan If Putin was going to attack NATO, he would have done it long before now, because the US continues sending troops to Europe, European nations continue moving their forces around, calling them up, doing training, etc., NATO Response Force is being actively deployed in Romania, etc.

And if he wanted to, he would have just done it.  You think he's a psychopath, which I agree with, and so there's nothing that would have stopped him from just doing it.

Sometime a cigar is just a cigar.  He wanted to rebuild the Soviet Union.  He thought he could throw out some bullshit reasons and that it would be a walk in the park, but his intelligence folks lied to him about Ukraine, and his paranoia about keeping the planning secret ultimately fucked him in the end, since he clearly didn't have people in the room trying to shoot down his scenarios.

It's just a cigar.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Uprisings in Belarus and other countries under Russia's wing are one of the few things that would cause Putin to change course.

That would be interesting as hell.

Same with Georgia moving to claw back some territory.  What happens if we start moving lots of Stingers and Javelins and NLAWs into Georgia?  Turkey would be all on board for that, just like they've been for this.  Those fuckers have a long memory.

Would he sacrifice Ukraine and pull his troops out to prop up Belarus and try to deal with Georgia?

Long term, financially, Ukraine has the offshore deposits he and his oligarchs crave, and he wants the warm water ports.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Legit question: Can we do a tortilla drive and how many tortillas do you think we can send across the pond? Bacon, eggs, potatoes, and cheese can be grabbed there, but tortillas and canned refried beans could be imported. The boy could set up a breakfast taco station and feed as many people as supplies allow.

While that is what we want to do to help, sending the money to Chef Andres' World Central Kitchen that has staff experienced doing this stuff, and wholesale food costs, likely delivers more food to more people. I'm sure they can use Brisket Jr's cadre's willingness to work to help to deliver more food to more people.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1