Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is actually true. They don't have to pay survivor benefits to the family if they're just MIA. Which many speculate why they don't even try to bring bodies back and have refused Ukraine's offer to trade the bodies of non-officers.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't think you can reach that conclusion.  Just because you and I didn't know that the Russian Army would be completely incapable of advancing more than 30 miles due to shitty logistics doesn't mean the DIA didn't know.

But let's assume that the Pentagon didn't know--how would the United States have reacted differently?  Are there weapons that we would have supplied that we didn't?  Are there different training tactics that we would've used?

I don't know the answer to those questions.  But I kind of lean toward "no."  And if the answer is "no," then that kind of leads me to believe that the Pentagon did, in fact, have good intelligence on the shortcomings of the Russian Army and outfitted the Ukrainians to exploit those shortcomings effectively.

The flaw with this solid logic chain is that you’re assuming U.S. supplies and training for Ukraine pre-Feb.24 was based mostly on intelligence assessments and battlefield needs. And that’s demonstrably not true, political calculations played perhaps the main role in those decisions. We didn’t start deliveries of Javelins till 2018 because of political calculations— not wanting to escalate in Russia’s eyes to “lethal aid.” We were extremely cautious not to ship “offensive” lethal aid till after the war escalated in February.

I think (actually a bit more than “think”) it’s safe to say that a lot of things surprised the Pentagon and the rest of NATO, and the underperformance of the Russian military is traceable to far more than simple shitty logistics and poorly maintained gear. It’s complex and everything from a poorly thought out initial strategy, loony Russian political assumptions, the aforementioned state of much of their military, and the surprisingly high morale of UA forces are all in the mix here. 

Also keep in mind that until basically late 2021, no one imagined a broad, maximalist offensive with a Kyiv axis— most would predict something like what you see now, a major offensive to capture all of the claimed DPR and LPR.  The likely Russian offensive played a factor in recommended and implemented lethal aid.

It’s pretty clear that Ukraine could have used a lot more kit and training than they had on Feb. 24 if purely military needs drove the decision. Some of those switchblades, for example.  And British star streak missiles.  And the towed and self-propelled artillery they’re getting.  But they got Javelins and their 2.5 mile range. That was a military and political decision. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Burning frigate "Admiral Makarov". The shots have not been confirmed, but judging by the silhouette, it is him.

Not sure if that is real or fake.  However, if that is real then the fire appears to just aft of their forward gun and in front of the main superstructure.  Looking at pictures this is where their vertical launch missile system is and other self defense launchers.  So lots of ordinance in that area for secondary explosions. .... If this is real.

Oh, and my first thought was "Hit them again!"

Edited by ABSR
  • Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Soooo going from a far right leader who likes Putin to a leftie who likes Putin.  

I don't think Lula likes Putin. I think he likes a multi-polar world that isn't dominated by the US, much like India, Maylasia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. For them it is real politik, not personal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

We just watched the Afghan government that we equipped melt like butter on hot toast, and took a lot of heat for the equipment that we gave them falling into Taliban hands.  I'm sure that, given the results of the last two Russian invasions of Ukraine, the administration wanted to be sure that the Ukrainians would fight and fight well.  Once they proved themselves, we opened the tap.

this.  plus no one wanted to FAFO and play ATF with the Nuclear David Koresh of global politics and fulfill his paranoid fantasies about enemies at the gates.  even now, we still have to take all that bluster somewhat seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Let’s review the illustrious life of Kliment Voroshilov, for whom Luhansk will be briefly renamed. I consider this a good omen.

Red Army Officer, old Bolshevik he came into his own during Stalin’s Great Purge as the equivalent of Minister of Defense. Denouncing colleagues, luring them from abroad to their deaths, signing execution warrants, and generally shoving every body in front of the boss he could so he would never receive the not so coveted “Order of Nine Grams from the Soviet State.”

Sadly, he was less good at killing Finns than his fellow Soviet officers. As a Field Marshal, he led an army that he very much destroyed on its glorious campaign and proved innovative in the field of “freezing to death before a sniper on skis gets you.” He got sacked for the Finland campaign.

He got some of his mojo back after the division of Poland and went back to doing what he really loved— signing orders to shoot people in the head.  Specifically all the Polish officers held at Katyn. Back in Stalin’s good graces, he regained his Field Marshal rank and led another glorious campaign near Finland. “Operation Fail to Prevent the Siege of Leningrad” went so swimmingly that he got sacked from command a second time, and that’s why everyone knows who Zhukov is.

After the war he made up for it by establishing communism in Hungary and having a bunch more people shot in the head. Khrushchev purged him along with  all the rest of Stalin’s incompetents and then Brezhnev dusted him off and put him on the mantle with some medals till he died.

As I said— a good omen for a spectacular Russian military failure borne of grotesque mismanagement and chronic toadyism. 

Seems like this is an idea on par with the Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake Hall of Football Excellence and Victory to be built in Norman.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Strong message if you are winning a little special military operation against a weak nation.

How inspirational for your people:

"And this is the plane I will fly away in while you melt in a nuclear holocaust.  Glory to Russia!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I dont even think Russia could mobilize 800k.

and if they MANAGED to do that, they dont have the fucking equipment anymore to handle that many troops. 

at this point I am not even sure if they have 800k ak47/74s to give to the draftees..... which means they go old fucking school Stalingrad..... enter the theater without a weapon and find one from the dead. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I dont even think Russia could mobilize 800k.

and if they MANAGED to do that, they dont have the fucking equipment anymore to handle that many troops. 

at this point I am not even sure if they have 800k ak47/74s to give to the draftees..... which means they go old fucking school Stalingrad..... enter the theater without a weapon and find one from the dead. 

Even if they somehow found 800k, forget about armament... they couldn't feed, clothe, house or get them gas for their vehicles. Russian logistics are a piece of dick. It would be a complete quagmire. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The only way Russia can win this one is by bombing the shit out of the NATO supply line into Ukraine.  Article 5 be damned.  We have done everything to declare war on Russia except to say we declared war anyhow.  

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Hook 'Em 4