Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I don’t think he sat down and tried to link all those posts.  And I absolutely value his input on this thread, due to his wealth of knowledge about the politics of the countries involved.  He greatly contributes to our  knowledge of the situation.

My God this board has gone soft.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, speaking of aggy, apparently Russian troops just need to "hold on for another month" and if they lose, well obviously they just ran out of time.

F3gKycrWUAATPW5?format=webp&name=900x900

F3gKycbW8AANXY-?format=webp&name=small

F3gKycqXUAAgrum?format=webp&name=small

Also very aggy of them to play the victim card and describe the shelling of ammunition depots and warehouses as “terrorism”.

• Hook 'Em 4

Shoygu unexpectedly declared that Russia has not used cluster munitions yet, which is a strange thing to say considering that Russian reporters have been talking about using this weaponry from the first day of war. Perhaps Shoygu is threatening to use these munitions against civilians? That sounds like something he would do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Despite a recent statement by Russian defense minister Sergei Shoigu that the task of the "special military operation" is to release Russian soldiers from Ukrainian captivity, not all Russian pows want to be exchanged: "Some prisoners ask the Ukrainian authorities to delay their exchange until after their military contracts have expired so that they are not compelled to fight again. A few ask not to be returned at all" - The Economist.

The full article is here: 

https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/08/13/how-russian-prisoners-of-war-see-putins-invasion

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

It gets better:

https://news.yahoo.com/shooting-between-kadyrovites-dagestanis-occurs-131215264.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABcXFNXIldQA7AG8taoq2SCs3yAuSubKlCDNWKAZMeqKAVGtCHnQQJ1HbHpKGMT0AsiF_Ini2FKW9lJSI_hbD0ziLnYxzIVzvs4dBPEmWbcqFQ8xL-AgCuJf1lqUMk-xG35ta0_knydWpru8XJE2gsRaWwTrRr1IKqb1HompJq4T 

In the temporarily occupied village of Mykhailivka, Zaporizhzhia Oblast, a conflict between units of the Russian army has occurred.

Source: National Resistance Center of Ukraine

Details: Reportedly, on 12 August, the Russian propagandists arrived in the village of Mykhailivka in the Vasylivskyi district of Zaporizhzhia Oblast to shoot a news piece about the "great contribution" of a top official from the Kadyrovites fighters to the reconstruction of Russia-occupied territories in Ukraine. [Kadyrovites are pro-Russian Chechen forces led by Ramzan Kadyrov, the Chechen leader – ed.]

At about 20:00 on the same day, a verbal altercation occurred between Kadyrovites and Dagestanis from another unit of the Russian occupying forces near the Central Park of the village.

During the argument, one of the occupiers opened fire into the air from an automatic small arm.

During the fight, one of the participants received multiple stab wounds incompatible with life. It led to an open confrontation between the units with the use of GP-25 Kostyor under-barrel grenade launchers, offensive hand grenades and automatic small arms.

Dagestanis have reportedly won the fight.

The National Resistance Center reports irreversible losses on both sides: 20 soldiers of the Russian units were killed, and 40 more were injured.

The commander of the Kadyrovites (likely a colonel) was sent to frontline positions as a punishment 

Edited by KYHorn
  • Haha 7

Seems legit:

Shoigu's statements at the Moscow Security Conference:

• The military resource of Ukraine is almost exhausted.
  • Russia "put an end to Western military dominance."
  • There is nothing invulnerable to Russian weapons on the battlefield today.
  • Soviet-made equipment is in many cases superior to Western equipment.
  • Russia did not use cluster munitions in Ukraine.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Do we have any surly-ites that have been in active combat-more specifically someone that has driven tanks or APV’s? My question is-how hard is it to see anti tank mines? I’d imagine it’s almost impossible. We don’t have a radar or metal detecting scanner that can detect incoming mines on the ground?

I’m still amazed watching videos of soldiers walking around, I feel like I’d constantly be looking down for trip wires or mines. I know then get popped by the orcs. But if Dobby and other Russian convicts are laying mine fields and supposedly mapping them..I could see the maps looking like the back of a kids cereal box. 

22 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

My question is-how hard is it to see anti tank mines?

Never set foot inside a tank, but I've slept at a Motel 6. It really depends on the mine and how well it was placed. The damn thing may have been buried 2 years by now and the ground has settled. You need explosives and flails to be sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Cluster munitions are perfect for clearing mines and orcs.

They might incidentally reduce some mine field density but you’d never drive over a mined place because someone cluster bombed it.  50% mined is still awfully mined and I’d imagine it would take a LOT of these munitions to get something down to 50.  

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Do we have any surly-ites that have been in active combat-more specifically someone that has driven tanks or APV’s? My question is-how hard is it to see anti tank mines? I’d imagine it’s almost impossible. We don’t have a radar or metal detecting scanner that can detect incoming mines on the ground?

I’m still amazed watching videos of soldiers walking around, I feel like I’d constantly be looking down for trip wires or mines. I know then get popped by the orcs. But if Dobby and other Russian convicts are laying mine fields and supposedly mapping them..I could see the maps looking like the back of a kids cereal box. 

My BF friend from HS was an Abrams driver with the 24th Mechanized.  His TC was in GW1 when they did the big end-around in open desert.  I've never asked specifically about mines, but he has told me how visibility for the driver is as much as art as a science.  It's not great, but you get used to the process.  The TC out of an open hatch would be your eyes and ears (think Pitt in Fury), but when you have to completely button up, it's tough.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My BF friend from HS was an Abrams driver with the 24th Mechanized.  His TC was in GW1 when they did the big end-around in open desert.  I've never asked specifically about mines, but he has told me how visibility for the driver is as much as art as a science.  It's not great, but you get used to the process.  The TC out of an open hatch would be your eyes and ears (think Pitt in Fury), but when you have to completely button up, it's tough.  

I'm aware that this tech wasn't available in the Gulf War, but it is today....do they not have multiple cameras showing the view from the vehicle at multiple angles?  I mean....my wife's freaking Hyundai has that feature, and it cost a good bit less than an Abrams.

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm aware that this tech wasn't available in the Gulf War, but it is today....do they not have multiple cameras showing the view from the vehicle at multiple angles?  I mean....my wife's freaking Hyundai has that feature, and it cost a good bit less than an Abrams.

Dunno, but vehicles driven in the field rapidly become coated in dust and muck and I suspect anything sensitive would get stomped by a Private's boot anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No clue - if they did, they wouldn't really help with anything even halfway decently buried.  Wife has a Hyundai also ironically, and they help parking, but not moving at speed across a battlefield.  I still think the TC is still the main guy.  What they can do is digitally coordinate with all the others in the formation and relay live footage from aerial assets above (if they have them).  

What would be super cool is the driver having the same coordinated camera helmets the F35 guys have - where the cameras overlap so you can "see through" the plane like it's invisible and you can see from all sides in real time.  

Tanks are dangerous to everyone around them.  Hard to see out of.  Hard to stop.  They attract heavier munitions which makes being around them on foot dicey.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Felix said:

Didn't see combat, thank God, but I've crewed every position on an Abrams.  Almost impossible to see mines if they are deployed correctly.  We mostly liked to operate at night since out night vision/thermal imagers were so good.  Many mines use a probe instead of pressure so that it doesn't have to be run over by tracks to explode.  They are easier to see in open ground but are more designed to be deployed in vegetation obviously.  Those are the ones that really scared us because they were designed to blow a penetrator up through the bottom of the tank.   That would usually be the end of the driver.  Running over one with a track would usually just immobilize you instead of killing you.

My buddy said it would get so cold on coordinated maneuvers all the infantry would gather behind that jet engine and it's exhaust......meaning he's keep rotating the tank away from them and piss them all off....;)

Other stories of crossing streams that were deeper than expected with the front hatch open.  Having fish flopping around in the tank.  Taking out trees when you slide through a turn in the mud.  

But also guys getting really hurt - there was a story (not sure if true) of a driver getting killed because he was sitting high in the seat and the main gun depressing down and crushing his head/neck.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Felix said:

Running over one with a track would usually just immobilize you instead of killing you.

What about a sticky bomb?  You know, you you take a standard G.I sock, cram it with as much Composition B as it can hold, rig up a simple fuse, the coat the whole thing with axel grease. now when you throw it, it should stick. its a bomb that sticks, it a "sticky bomb".

I mean, if you can think of a better way to knock out the tracks I'm all ears

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But the tank can withstand a palm tree falling on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

But the tank can withstand a palm tree falling on it.

Goddamn.....your fucking memory is amazing.....AND IT PISSES ME OFF.  TOO SOON.

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

You misspelled Lieutenant

Don't criticize what MIA does with his privates.

Just look away, like most decent people do.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, The Dog said:

The real tragedy is that this could have all been avoided with better communications.  Both sides heard the other saying they were going to rape all the locals and then a the fight ensued.  However, if they had just communicated better it would have been clear that the Khadyrovites were talking about raping the men, boys and live stock, and the Russian were talking about raping the women, young girls and elderly women.

Shame.

• Haha 5