Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

53 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I know I said it before but it is amazing to watch the minting of a future national hero that a country will reference for hundreds if not thousands of years as a mountain of a man and hero. Ala what were were taught in grade school about George Washington. 

It is fascinating.

Only if he leaves office immediately after the war. Politics will sink his reputation.

13 minutes ago, statsman said:

This war will end, and there is an 80% chance the FSB will have a lifetime hit out on Zelensky. I bet he knows it, too. 

I don’t know if that is true. Russia may not be Russia and Ukraine will be in NATO. So a hit on Zelenskyy would be an act of war and that would mean war with NATO unless NATO becomes too tied to Russian oil to act responsibly.

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Can someone who knows mines better than me explain why/how the mine is rigged this way?

I'll try; Perhaps it is a "pressure switch" of sorts.

Drone flies at ~ 2,000 ft?, atmospheric pressure is ~ 1 PSI less than at ground level.

Water jug is ~ 12" diameter, 113 square inches.

Jug nozzle is restricted down to ~ 1 square inch, pressure exceeds 100 PSI at ground level.

Drone flies from ground to 2,000 ft, higher pressure "heavy" air in jug is displaced w/ lower pressure "light" air,

As mine is dropped from 2000 ft,  the pressure in the jug increases at it gets closer to the ground, activating the pressure switch > 100 PSI, boom. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Drone flies at ~ 2,000 ft?, atmospheric pressure is ~ 1 PSI less than at ground level.

Jug nozzle is restricted down to ~ 1 square inch, pressure exceeds 100 PSI at ground level.

Drone flies from ground to 2,000 ft, higher pressure "heavy" air in jug is displaced w/ lower pressure "light" air,

As mine is dropped from 2000 ft,  the pressure in the jug increases at it gets closer to the ground, activating the pressure switch > 100 PSI, boom. 

I like the science of this, but I think it's much more simple than that.  The water is just a counter-balance, a la a drogue shoot for stable flight/falling.  That's my guess anyway.  Obviously these mines were never intended to be used as an aerial bomb, so a bit of field innovation is at work.  Can't say it isn't ingenuitive.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

A bit more firm than I expected.

Hopefully they are helping Moldova to reach a point where they can deal with Transnistria.

And they might be doing a missile defense system out a little ways into the Black Sea and along the river area. That would be relatively easy to do and a warning to Russia.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

so a bit of field innovation is at work.  Can't say it isn't ingenuitive. 

Go back to 2021 and tell us that Russia would stage a 3-day full-on invasion of Ukraine that has lasted for 550+ days, and that Ukraine is using off-the-shelf drones to drop hand grenades and *checks notes* landmines onto Russian soldiers and vehicles, and filming it for all the world to see.  And that Ukrainian farmers would have stolen dozens of Russian armored vehicles.

We'd all think you were crazy.

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, PTINS said:

So how sy they set it on the ground at the atmospheric pressure it will be dropped at?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go back to 2021 and tell us that Russia would stage a 3-day full-on invasion of Ukraine that has lasted for 550+ days, and that Ukraine is using off-the-shelf drones to drop hand grenades and *checks notes* landmines onto Russian soldiers and vehicles, and filming it for all the world to see.  And that Ukrainian farmers would have stolen dozens of Russian armored vehicles.

We'd all think you were crazy.

Yeah, but I know most of you assholes do a good bit of drugs, so maybe you'd buy it.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I like the science of this, but I think it's much more simple than that.  The water is just a counter-balance, a la a drogue shoot for stable flight/falling.  That's my guess anyway.  Obviously these mines were never intended to be used as an aerial bomb, so a bit of field innovation is at work.  Can't say it isn't ingenuitive.  

I’m a page behind so this may have been answered but yeah it looks like a guidance and position stabilizer. 

a dropped mine will want to either flip to edge down, or start tumbling. Either situation could lead to the mine being destroyed by the ground without detonating. 

the bottle is in the position to draft in the slip stream of the mine, is light enough not to flip it upside down, and is wide enough that as the air tries to turn the mine, the bottle will stick out into the airflow and get pushed back to the center. 

the bottle being roughy the size of the mine means it won’t tip far before a counter force acts upon it, which also means it will fall straight down and not drift.  Allowing for more accurate aim. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Russian occupation authorities in Crimea regularly parade “traitors” on camera, aiming to cow pro-Kyiv residents into submission. But many Crimeans still openly yearn for a return to Ukrainian rule
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/in-crimea-pro-ukraine-feelings-prompt-a-russian-crackdown-123494b0?st=hxrtkx3zocdssvm&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

About the UN- the UN is a democracy, but an illiberal democracy (liberal democracy has protections for minority groups and positions). It serves as a good example of why illiberal democracy can be bad. 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, statsman said:

Russian occupation authorities in Crimea regularly parade “traitors” on camera, aiming to cow pro-Kyiv residents into submission. But many Crimeans still openly yearn for a return to Ukrainian rule
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/in-crimea-pro-ukraine-feelings-prompt-a-russian-crackdown-123494b0?st=hxrtkx3zocdssvm&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

About the UN- the UN is a democracy, but an illiberal democracy (liberal democracy has protections for minority groups and positions). It serves as a good example of why illiberal democracy can be bad. 

I don’t think you can draw parallels between multilateral international organization rules and constitutional systems for individual states. In any case, UN measure with teeth require UNSC consensus which basically means that those permanent members have a Polish-Lithuanian style liberum veto and the attendant dysfunction. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

X-posting from the Elon thread. Musk intervened personally to ensure the failure of an AFU naval drone attack.

I’m not gonna feel bad if Vlad goes out and takes Elon with him via Novichok in the boxers.  Preferably on a visit to Saudi or some shit. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/elon-musk-biography-walter-isaacson-ukraine-starlink/index.html

Holy shit, that’s nuts. He needs to be wrangled in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m a page behind so this may have been answered but yeah it looks like a guidance and position stabilizer. 

a dropped mine will want to either flip to edge down, or start tumbling. Either situation could lead to the mine being destroyed by the ground without detonating. 

the bottle is in the position to draft in the slip stream of the mine, is light enough not to flip it upside down, and is wide enough that as the air tries to turn the mine, the bottle will stick out into the airflow and get pushed back to the center. 

the bottle being roughy the size of the mine means it won’t tip far before a counter force acts upon it, which also means it will fall straight down and not drift.  Allowing for more accurate aim. 

So what you are saying is that we should drop Schlitz beer bottles into the minefields and let the Russians detonate the mines trying to get them?

So what you are saying is that we should drop Schlitz beer bottles into the minefields and let the Russians detonate the mines trying to get them?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Worth saying twice, but I think Smirnoff Ice would be more effective.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Tapa shit is borked.

11 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Yep.  The water likely counterbalances the weight of the mine and keeps it from flipping over on the drop. 

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Drone-mine-water jug talk not going away….

I gotta say, I'm just fascinated by the ingenuity of the Ukrainians on all levels.  It reminds me of all my farmer relatives who are the living example of "improvise, adapt, overcome," but this is on a life or death level.

Plus, I just think that shit is cool and I want to know how it works.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If the Russian elites are going to start getting prison sentences for stealing from the state, that pretty much destroys the social contract Putin has established amongst his cadre of thieves.

The rules are the same when dealing with tyrannical narcissists: the only question is WHEN he will turn on you and betray you, not IF. 

This rule is immutable, and has never been violated.  It applies in Russia.  It applies here (as we've seen plenty of times in recent years, no CR).  It applies to all of humanity.  Bow at the altar of a narcissist, and you may prosper for some time...but eventually, the dagger ends up in your back as well.  Always.

• Hook 'Em 5