Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Would be a shame if an "asteroid" hit it. 

China blew up a satellite that left 35,000 pieces of space junk travelling 6 miles a second. That thing better be able to play Asteroids.

Asteroids+Play.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

The timing of these headlines make them appear intended to scare the average idiot and ultimately apply pressure to the House. Don’t get me wrong, I’m good with that. Do whatever it takes to get support to Ukraine. I just don’t believe Russia can actually accomplish any cutting edge technological achievement right now. 

It may also be to do a redux of the "we'd better let putin have Ukraine because otherwise he's going to nuke us" drama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Damn, Nixon predicted in ‘94 that if Russia didn’t embrace democracy, that it would revert back to Russian Imperialism/despotism.  Basically replace communism with the old ways.

Ripped from the pages of "Duh:  a Journal of the Obvious."  Every single person who knows/has any historical experience with Russia has stated or nodded along with a similar take over the past few decades.  The only people who disagree are 1) historically ignorant pollyannas (and I cut them some slack, because human thinking actually wants to presume the least conflict-y outcome), and 2) idiots who have utterly bought into the Russian disinformation campaign of the last 15 years or so, championed by [deleted to avoid CR.]

There is no excuse.  If you think that Putinist Russia is in any way a good actor, you're either an idiot, a cult member, or both.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

our problem is the politicans that spent their lives understanding the Russians have either reached centenarian or passed away.

McCain, Reagan, Bush 1, Carter, Wright, O'Neil, Foley, and apparently Nixon all knew how demented those fucks could be.

today, too many folks seem to think if we embrace them its gonna be cool.

Truman and Goldwater too.  Seems that everyone who truly understood Russia came to hate them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Damn, Nixon predicted in ‘94 that if Russia didn’t embrace democracy, that it would revert back to Russian Imperialism/despotism.  Basically replace communism with the old ways.

I wonder how Roger Stone feels about this.   I mean, I think he still whacks off but maybe not as enthusiastically as usual.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:16 PM, YGIFS said:

I was thinking about this book the other day and Russia.  It's a wonderfully written novel by Russian author, Bulkagov called "The Master and Margarita" (our English translation).  It's probably not been read by 89% of Americans and 99% of Americans who oppose supporting Ukraine.  If you believe, as the Christianity claims, that the Devil is all around us and we must cast him out from our lives because he fools us into doing evil things.  You would do well to read it instead of just preaching to us about how the Devil has taken over our country and maybe even our planet.  

Long story, short (too late, Lobo).  The Devil takes on myriad forms throughout history from Ancient Rome to Christianity to eventually threatening the very existence of the Russian hierarchy.  He uses Russia against her enemies and her enemies against Russia.  It even forecasts that Russian evils (the book was eventually embargo'd by the USSR) will eventually be accentuated by even more powerful forces outside her borders (it obviously doesn't explicitly mention the United States but one could easily supplant that idea upon some of his metaphors and amalgamations).  One can also obviously see how Putin is a version of a few of the characters, though they are long and tired Russian fictional tropes.  But the trick is, seeing who the Devil can also be who you don't see coming.  If you really believe what your church and your bible tells you about how evil comes in the form of someone offering you comfort and validation if you'll only just support this unjust cause over here in my other hand...that's the true work of evil genius.  Be careful when you pull a lever for allowing Russia to expand this theater.  For the Devil is not the obvious guy committing the heinous acts, but instead could very well be the charismatic other guy who convinces us to look the other way while it's happening.  

You'll most likely know the story better in its more modern, and samba-like incarnation.  Pleased to meet you.  Hope you guessed my name?  

And here I thought it was just a book about an anthropomorphic cat. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, statsman said:

After the mass graves of Bucha, after the tactical rapes, after the hijacking of children, mistreatment of POWs, the targeting of civilians, the thieving of western property, the coordination with Iran, … shit, there really is no end- it’s pretty clear they are wrong. Russia is a threat to the U.S.  And they can’t fucking admit it. 

It goes back to Russia is the mafia if it was the world’s (physically) largest country.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

An interesting fact about Nixon that may have changed history was that his first dream job was to work for the FBI and he actually got hired. But his job never started because it was cancelled due to budget cuts before his start day. Nixon was forced by circumstances to reject a place at Harvard Univ and attended a small liberal arts college instead, graduating summa cum laude, then on to Duke Law where he achieved academic distinction.

This is in contrast to someone like umm what's his name...oh yes Tucker Carlson, who was a shitty student, went to a small catholic college where anyone with family connections or money could go, apparently avoided getting expelled, and thought that was enough that he'd be able to walk right into his dream job at the CIA but got flatly rejected.

I was working on Capitol Hill in December 1992 and Nixon happened to be down the hall from me, giving well-wishes to a former House colleague who was retiring. I grabbed a (covered) copy of the US Constitution and a pen, and as he exited asked him to sign. He looked at me and wondered if I was trying to trick him but I just smiled and said please. He signed. Later I was told he gave out many, many autographs.

He was nice to me but fuck him and and his pendejo buddy Henry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Frank Stallone. 

No, it was Jinxy.  What kinda sick fuck names a cat ‘Frank Stallone’?  The hell is wrong with you?  We’re dealing with a war and you’re naming pets after minor celebrities from the 1980’s with brain damage?  Get it together dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Alexei Navalny is dead.

Will this death change anything in Russia or does Putin have a critical mass of Russians (and some westerners) under his thumb so much that Russians just shrug their shoulders and move on?

19 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Will this death change anything in Russia or does Putin have a critical mass of Russians (and some westerners) under his thumb so much that Russians just shrug their shoulders and move on?

It won’t change anything.  Putin is demonstrating that he can do this. Earlier this week they also disqualified a semi-real opposition candidate from the ballot.  This is just a demonstration of force, to show Russians and any future potential dissident what might happen to them. 

• Hook 'Em 6

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

It may also be to do a redux of the "we'd better let putin have Ukraine because otherwise he's going to nuke us" drama.

Fuck, you’re probably right, even though it’s almost certainly a nuclear powered satellite, actually quite far from cutting edge, see RTG: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

I guess an asshole intent on generating fear could call that a weapon. Presumably the point will be to use it to jam GPS and other satellites without causing obvious physical damage. Wouldn’t they need a lot of these working simultaneously to actually have an effect on the battlefield?

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It won’t change anything.  Putin is demonstrating that he can do this. Earlier this week they also disqualified a semi-real opposition candidate from the ballot.  This is just a demonstration of force, to show Russians and any future potential dissident what might happen to them. 

was that the guy who when asked if he thinks he can win he said something like "no way, do you think I'm crazy?"

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

was that the guy who when asked if he thinks he can win he said something like "no way, do you think I'm crazy?"

Yes, Boris Nadezhdin. An anti-war candidate, the others are fake candidates. Ironically the root of his last name means “hope” in Russian. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah but they only pay $100/week for groceries! Russians have it so good! Oh, that amounts to 25% of their median income? -Some Popular Useful Idoit 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

I doubt it changes anything.  As said, it’s Putin’s way of showing they can make somebody famous disappear and then have the audacity to murder them, and then announce to the world that they murdered him.  He was dead the moment he “disappeared” a month or two ago and then turned up out in the boonies.

Less than three weeks to Putin’s election.  Helluva sign, but I wonder if Putin’s people were seeing something that made them uncomfortable and they acted now to try and shut it down.  “We will kill somebody as fanboys as Alexei Navalny and announce it to the world, don’t think we won’t  do the same to you if you vote for somebody else or try to protest at the elections.”

it will galvanize some, but they were the ones who were always against the war.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I doubt it changes anything.  As said, it’s Putin’s way of showing they can make somebody famous disappear and then have the audacity to murder them, and then announce to the world that they murdered him.  He was dead the moment he “disappeared” a month or two ago and then turned up out in the boonies.

Less than three weeks to Putin’s election.  Helluva sign, but I wonder if Putin’s people were seeing something that made them uncomfortable and they acted now to try and shut it down.  “We will kill somebody as fanboys as Alexei Navalny and announce it to the world, don’t think we won’t  do the same to you if you vote for somebody else or try to protest at the elections.”

it will galvanize some, but they were the ones who were always against the war.

They just took Nadezhdin off the ballot. Don’t discount the possibility that Putin killed Navalny to get people upset at something they can’t change (Navalny dead) instead of protesting and pushing for something that could theoretically change (getting a real candidate on the ballot). 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This.  It's not more complicated than this.  When it comes to domestic politics, Russia's primary tool is brute force, and a visible reminder of that brute force to everyone else.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

RIP to Navalny, another murder victim of the tyrannical and illegitimate Putin regime. What an incredibly brave person.

Don't go sainting Navalny.  "1000X better than Putin" still leaves room for a lot of shittiness, and Navalny brought plenty of shittiness.  That said, at least he represented a voice of popular dissent.  Which is why he's been a dead man walking for a long-ass time.

• Hook 'Em 6

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't go sainting Navalny.  "1000X better than Putin" still leaves room for a lot of shittiness, and Navalny brought plenty of shittiness.  That said, at least he represented a voice of popular dissent.  Which is why he's been a dead man walking for a long-ass time.

He went back to Russia a few years ago after the poisoning knowing they’d kill him.  I give him major credit for the balls that took.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2