Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Like Letterman is saying in that interview: if you can't tell who's Churchill here and who is Hitler, it speaks a lot about you.

I watched the Letterman interview.  For anyone in this thread, it’s going to be a remedial course but it’s another example of Ukrainian brilliance at public diplomacy. There’s few better interviewers than Letterman at showing emotion with no saccharine and millions of Americans will double down on liking Zelenskyy and Ukraine. Doing it a metro station and the air raid siren— brilliant. For those historically minded enough, makes you wonder about a Churchill interview during the blitz. 

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I watched the Letterman interview.  For anyone in this thread, it’s going to be a remedial course but it’s another example of Ukrainian brilliance at public diplomacy. There’s few better interviewers than Letterman at showing emotion with no saccharine and millions of Americans will double down on liking Zelenskyy and Ukraine. Doing it a metro station and the air raid siren— brilliant. For those historically minded enough, makes you wonder about a Churchill interview during the blitz. 

The optics are absolutely perfect.

And Russia keeps playing right into creating more of them.  It's amazing.  Sure, I give due credit to Zelensky and Ukraine for capitalizing it, but in terms of the PR war, Russia is handing them more fantastic material than they can properly use.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I've said it a couple of times on this thread, but those Shaheds are non-aerodynamic pieces of shit. Their only advantage is numbers.

A delta wing design is much better for high speed than the low speeds these fly at. This shape/speed combo makes them stable in pitch (nose up/down), but otherwise extremely non-maneuverable and Ukraine is going to keep getting better at knocking them down. They are also very fuel inefficient due to their large drag, which limits their range. Our/Ukraine's old tech should feast on these.  

image.png.53f5b0869084364b16bff3f03aed6bda.png

Missiles are a completely different problem all together. We need to get Ukraine the more advanced missiles they need to defend against these ASAP.

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Pods said:

I've said it a couple of times on this thread, but those Shaheds are non-aerodynamic pieces of shit. Their only advantage is numbers.

A delta wing design is much better for high speed than the low speeds these fly at. This shape/speed combo makes them stable in pitch (nose up/down), but otherwise extremely non-maneuverable and Ukraine is going to keep getting better at knocking them down. They are also very fuel inefficient due to their large drag, which limits their range. Our/Ukraine's old tech should feast on these.  

Missiles are a completely different problem all together. We need to get Ukraine the more advanced missiles they need to defend against these ASAP.

Those German anti-air systems that are using 30mm or 40mm cannons are perfect for knocking down the drones, and apparently are responsible for knocking down plenty of drones.

Patriots will take the large Russian missiles out of the fight, or force them to use them against tactical targets instead of fucking apartment buildings or power plants.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those German anti-air systems that are using 30mm or 40mm cannons are perfect for knocking down the drones, and apparently are responsible for knocking down plenty of drones.

Patriots will take the large Russian missiles out of the fight, or force them to use them against tactical targets instead of fucking apartment buildings or power plants.

Exactly. Max speed of the Shahed is ~115 mph with a predictable flight path. It's also loud as hell and distinctive, sounds like a moped, so there's an auditory early warning. Ukraine is already dropping 85% of them and will keep getting better. 

A lot of this war, the announcements of US aid arrive after the UA has already gotten the equipment, or is immediately about to. I hope that's the case with the Patriots. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I wonder how many mW those transmitters use? I can't imagine it's too small, given the distance requirements. Probably enough to heat up a cat if the cat is on it.

The cat is basically getting microwaved.

Starlink antennas have a heater in them to melt snow. Cat is fine (and warm).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Starlink antennas have a heater in them to melt snow. Cat is fine (and warm).

Well, yes, but the warmth provided by the transmitter is nonzero. There's a nice happy place in between "safe" and "cooked flesh" where you get nicely warmed, say about ... 3W or so?

Whether or not that increases your risk of cancer or not... well... 🤷

Edited by Rimbo

11 hours ago, Pods said:

fuck that.  Intercept their travel.  

10 hours ago, Pods said:

Exactly. Max speed of the Shahed is ~115 mph with a predictable flight path. It's also loud as hell and distinctive, sounds like a moped, so there's an auditory early warning. Ukraine is already dropping 85% of them and will keep getting better. 

A lot of this war, the announcements of US aid arrive after the UA has already gotten the equipment, or is immediately about to. I hope that's the case with the Patriots. 

The thing is, they are about as cheap as catapulting a moped. One costs something like 20k and so you just fling them up and hope numbers overwhelm. They’re a problem when you’re using expensive, high-tech systems to shoot them down. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of the subplots I’ve most enjoyed is Chechens falling from “terrifying super warriors” to “TikTok cringe-lord assholes.” 

paper tigers roar the loudest before the fight.   the chechen leader threw that spear like my 6 yr old throws a football.  

• Like 1

Can you imagine how many of those CWIS you’d have to use to ring around a city? I get that Europe is more densely populated in cities than the US, but it would take a shit ton of those to provide complete coverage. Russia keeps lobbing them all over the place and isn’t going after just infrastructure, so you’re trying to make a dome over population centers as well. 

One of the German systems they're using is similar to a CWIS and it works well. Like all their air defense, it's going to require all their allies to chip in with multiple systems. 

We need to go to a wartime manufacturing footing. Dust off Rosie the Riveter 2.0, and have the Underwood typewriter company start making artillery shells.
  • Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We need to go to a wartime manufacturing footing. Dust off Rosie the Riveter 2.0, and have the Underwood typewriter company start making artillery shells.

Now I have visions in my head of all of the millennial, hipsters getting laid off from the tech companies showing up to work at an arms manufacturer and asking where the espresso machine is.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The thing is, they are about as cheap as catapulting a moped. One costs something like 20k and so you just fling them up and hope numbers overwhelm. They’re a problem when you’re using expensive, high-tech systems to shoot them down. 

Cheaper to destroy them en mass on their way to Russia

• Hook 'Em 6

Interesting development if Russia counters the Patriot missile defense with bombers. It ups the ante to dare the West to shoot down planes and pilots. 

As long as American and NATO troops are not in Ukraine and/or pressing buttons, it will always be a leap for Russia to attack a NATO country. Even if their pilots are dying.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting development if Russia counters the Patriot missile defense with bombers. It ups the ante to dare the West to shoot down planes and pilots. 

As long as American and NATO troops are not in Ukraine and/or pressing buttons, it will always be a leap for Russia to attack a NATO country. Even if their pilots are dying.

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News
aren’t their pilots already getting shot at and shot down? What difference will it make if they shoot their bombers down, fair game.

if you take down their SU plane is ok, you take down their bombers and it’s a problem. What am I missing here?

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News
aren’t their pilots already getting shot at and shot down? What difference will it make if they shoot their bombers down, fair game.

if you take down their SU plane is ok, you take down their bombers and it’s a problem. What am I missing here?

Difference now is the bombers firing cruise missiles are doing so from Russian air space because they did get shot down over Ukraine in the beginning of the war. 

He's saying that in order to shoot those down, Ukraine needs anti-air missiles that can reach into Russia from Ukraine (as the Ukrainians aren't penetrating Russian air space any time soon), and which so far we've been reticent to give weapons with that kind of reach.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bombers aren't a counter to Patriots. Russia will continue to employ its bombers the same way it has been, as launch platforms for long range cruise and ballistic missiles. 

Besides, while Patriot is a highly capable system,  so is the S-300 that Ukraine has a ton of. As far as intercepting bombers goes, the Patriot system doesn't provide any significant additional capability to Ukraine. And, I'd bet a lot of money, that any Patriot batteries used in Ukraine will be positioned well behind the lines, meaning there is 0% chance any Russian bombers or manned aircraft get in range of the Patriot batteries. The additional benefit that Patriot provides is its great ability to intercept short and medium range ballistic missiles and potentially higher speed cruise missiles. The other benefit is that we can actually supply new missiles for it to fire unlike the S-300s. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If they're flying bombers over Ukraine without total air superiority, they are going to lose those planes with or without Patriots being involved. 

Also this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, drt said:

Difference now is the bombers firing cruise missiles are doing so from Russian air space because they did get shot down over Ukraine in the beginning of the war. 

He's saying that in order to shoot those down, Ukraine needs anti-air missiles that can reach into Russia from Ukraine (as the Ukrainians aren't penetrating Russian air space any time soon), and which so far we've been reticent to give weapons with that kind of reach.

No. You're not going to forward deploy a Patriot missile battery to hit aerial targets deeper in Russia. The system would be very vulnerable and is way too valuable to risk that way. And, if Ukraine wanted to do something like that, it could use the S-300 launchers it already has. And, even if you were to deploy at the very edge of controlled Ukrainian positions, you're still not going to be in range of Russian bombers firing stand off missiles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Right, didn't mean to imply that.  I was more trying to say Ukraine needs standoff weapons to engage those bombers, as they're not penetrating Russian air space without unacceptable losses.  And we're not giving them those types of systems thus far.