Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait...you think it's "TBD" on whether Russia can capture Kyiv?

No, TBD on whether the counteroffensive accomplishes anything meaningful.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Clausewitz would disagree with that.  According to Clausewitz, one wins a war by destroying the enemy's army.  The occupation of dirt is meaningless so long as the enemy's army remains as a force in being.

This is the real point. Ukraine's army has been reloaded a couple times. The counteroffensive was the most significant one and at this point all brigades have been committed with significant losses in equipment and men. How many times can the smaller country sustain this without our direct involvement considering that Russia has ramped up their military machine? We have to escalate involvement or things are going to go bad.

• Fuck You 23

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Clausewitz would disagree with that.  According to Clausewitz, one wins a war by destroying the enemy's army.  The occupation of dirt is meaningless so long as the enemy's army remains as a force in being.

Now, perhaps we can argue that point in the modern setting, with logistics requirements that are quite different from the Napoleonic age, which require the control over dirt to maintain the army in the field.  But I think the fundamental point remains: the goal here is not merely the recapture of territory, but also the destruction of the Russian Army as an operational force.

I think this war is a bit different.  Push Russian forces back across their borders, and the war is won, regardless of what amount of the Russian military remains intact.  Because at that point, Ukraine's military posture can shift to a defensive one.  Russia is not going to be capable of launching a meaningful offensive for quite a few years.  Maybe they'll still sling missiles at Kyiv and Odessa.  But once Russia is pushed off of Ukrainian soil, they are going to have a near-impossible time justifying to ANYONE in the world why they get to keep slinging missiles at Kyiv. 

If Ukraine pushes Russian forces back across their border, and says to the world "we aren't going to invade Russia, Russia just needs to stay home," then any further action by Russia is just petulance from a loser, and that's exactly what it looks like to the rest of the world, even Russia's remaining "allies."  Layer on to that fact the fact that the West would continue to use that time to equip Ukraine with more western kit, and yeah....that's how you win a war of occupation that you are waging against the occupier.  End the occupation, win the war.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I think this war is a bit different.  Push Russian forces back across their borders, and the war is won, regardless of what amount of the Russian military remains intact.  Because at that point, Ukraine's military posture can shift to a defensive one.  Russia is not going to be capable of launching a meaningful offensive for quite a few years.  Maybe they'll still sling missiles at Kyiv and Odessa.  But once Russia is pushed off of Ukrainian soil, they are going to have a near-impossible time justifying to ANYONE in the world why they get to keep slinging missiles at Kyiv. 

If Ukraine pushes Russian forces back across their border, and says to the world "we aren't going to invade Russia, Russia just needs to stay home," then any further action by Russia is just petulance from a loser, and that's exactly what it looks like to the rest of the world, even Russia's remaining "allies."  Layer on to that fact the fact that the West would continue to use that time to equip Ukraine with more western kit, and yeah....that's how you win a war of occupation that you are waging against the occupier.  End the occupation, win the war.

And at that point, I assume we do just about everything we can (barring assassinating Orban) to get a vote for Ukraine into NATO before Russia decides to take another swing at them.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait...you think it's "TBD" on whether Russia can capture Kyiv?  For real?  Russia shit the fucking bed, man.  It did it in broad daylight, in front of the whole world.  And mind you, at that stage, Ukraine had MINIMAL western kit.  They had mostly old soviet shit, and some Javelins.  If the US had run up against a similarly armed opponent....we would have been in their capital inside a week, for fuck's sake.

And I'm not disappointed in the counter-offensive thus far, but then, my expectations for it have been realistic from the get-go.  This is a WWI style war.  Trenches and artillery.  With a 21st century overlay of drones and ballistic missiles, but not many of the second on either side (compared to what a real power would sling, and how it would use them).  The attrition RATES on equipment appear to be pretty similar thus far, which means it's sustainable for quite some time.

And finally, the counterpoint on size is the size of the objective: Ukraine doesn't need to conquer and occupy Russia.  It just needs to expel Russia from a relatively small swath of territory, all things considered.  And really, it doesn't even need to "expel" Russia from all of that territory -- it just needs to expel Russia from enough of it that it's inhospitable for Russia to stay in the remainder, long-term.  Ukraine doesn't have to march to the tip of the Crimean peninsula.  It just needs to make Crimea unlivable and unusable for the occupiers.

That's how you win a war like this.  Ukraine has done what it needs to do, and is continuing to do so.  Russia has not.  By objective, measurable benchmarks.  Not memes or PR.

Stop It Get Some Help GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

As much as I think we should, NATO isn't going to let this trigger Article 5. I suspect that Putin's doing this on purpose to see how much he can get away with.

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So you've got like 5 nuclear submarine experts? 

Yep. 

But you're a college football message board. 

Yep. 

Well ok then. 

I love this place. 

I mean, we're here for the sports, but it just happens to also be an assembly of largely intelligent, well-educated motherfuckers.

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

How are you guys dealing with vatniks in your personal life? Do you even try, or just avoid the subject altogether?

I start to get the shakes eveytime I hear someone parroting kremlin propaganda.

So far I just walk away, but that feels wrong. 

Then I remind myself of this fable:

https://www.storyofsouls.com/dont-argue-with-donkeys/

I generally don't see any. When I do, I tell them to stop parroting Kremlin propaganda.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Solovyov thinks Washington, New York City. London, Berlin, need to be attacked.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

If they did, Russia would cease to exist faster than you could say the words "Pearl Harbor."

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Are we thinking the attack on Sevastopol is the first appearance of ATACMS?  Or is this a Neptune strike?

Either way, if the fleet at Sevastopol is vulnerable to ballistic-missile attack, then what's the point of having that base?  And if that base has to be abandoned, doesn't much of the strategic reason for occupying Crimea evaporate?

There's no brains involved behind the Russian invasion at this point. The only achievable goal that remains for Putin is the elimination of as many Ukrainians, and non-white Russians, as possible. The good military leaders in Russia, such as they had, are all dead or under arrest.

1 hour ago, Nathan Jessep said:

How is it failing? Sanctions are working?

A couple interesting sections.

"American and Western officials say there is some good news. Russian production is still not keeping pace with how fast the military is burning through ammunition and wearing out equipment. For example, even though Russia is on pace to produce two million rounds of ammunition a year, it fired about 10 million rounds of artillery last year. That has led Moscow to desperately search for alternative sources to increase its stocks, most recently by trying to secure a weapons deal with North Korea, U.S. and Western officials said."

But here's the kicker from earlier in the piece.

"Western officials also believe Russia is on track to manufacture two million artillery shells a year — double the amount Western intelligence services had initially estimated Russia could manufacture before the war.

As a result of the push, Russia is now producing more ammunition than the United States and Europe. Overall, Kusti Salm, a senior Estonian defense ministry official, estimated that Russia’s current ammunition production is seven times greater than that of the West."

Seven times. wtf

It seems pretty clear that the West has to escalate involvement significantly otherwise Ukraine is fucked as it stands now.

Perhaps should have negotiated as Milley suggested when Russia was on back foot.

Stop parroting Kremlin propaganda, comrade.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Keep an eye out for a second account. His pattern seems to be that he always keeps two accounts going at once. I have strong suspicions about one newbie in particular but only time will tell.

We should start a troll alert thread so we can eradicate them ASAP.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I mean, we're here for the sports, but it just happens to also be an assembly of largely intelligent, well-educated motherfuckers.

Indeed.  For example, I bring to the table the intelligent, nuanced take on how attractive Sela Ward and Susanna Hoffs are, and my highly educated perspective on how great Dart Bowl enchiladas were and how much I fucking miss them.

All of which come in quite handy around these parts.  Because all three of those things could kick Russia's ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

How are you guys dealing with vatniks in your personal life? Do you even try, or just avoid the subject altogether?

I start to get the shakes eveytime I hear someone parroting kremlin propaganda.

Flat Earthers, Qtards, FB FWD>FWD>FWD types, et alii

As with most things that irritate my rational brethren, I find them entertaining in a zit-popping-video way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Strange, i've been told on this very page that sanctions don't work. 

South, motherfuckers. 

I'm not sure Colonel Jessup understands much in the way of finance and long term ramifications.  Plus, I thought he was in prison, despite strenuous objections.  

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

When he starts in about Ukraine running out of equipment and troops, you know it's him.

Well, I mean, they ARE.

But they're getting better replacements faster for the former, and losing the latter at a much slower pace.

It's a simple fact that requires more intelligence than that vatnik's preschool level intellect is able to process.

Edited by Rimbo
thanks syd
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Keep an eye out for a second account. His pattern seems to be that he always keeps two accounts going at once. I have strong suspicions about one newbie in particular but only time will tell.

As a matter of fact the now banned account and animaltobacco11 posted back to back from completely out of the blue in the elmo thread yesterday. It may have gone unnoticed amidst all the anastasis carnage.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

As a matter of fact the now banned account and animaltobacco11 posted back to back from completely out of the blue in the elmo thread yesterday. It may have gone unnoticed amidst all the anastasis carnage.

Nah, those two aren't the same guys. They may have some shared interests and common positions, but it don't feel right.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Well, I mean, they ARE.

But they're getting better replacements faster for the former, and losing the latter at a much slower pace.

It's a simple fact that requires more intelligence than that vatnik's preschool level intellect is unable to process.

Pretty sure you mean able, in the context of this sentence structure. 

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yeah, they're not the same dudes, as other's have said. AnimalTobacco doesn't try to hide who he is is, GRUHorn would but he can't help himself with his tells every single time.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wait, what?  What Anastasis carnage did I miss?

The carnage of our collective psyche and patience. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: if Elmo shows up tomorrow, and offers Immamac and crew a billion for Surlyhorns, and Immamac wisely says "throw in $1 million paid to each registered user, and you've got a deal"....I'll beat your ass if you try to talk Immamac out of it.

And I don’t want to pay taxes again. Ever. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

When he starts in about Ukraine running out of equipment and troops, you know it's him.

I’m sure that in years last he was talking about how Israel was going to be driven into the sea multiple times over the last 70 years because her enemies far outnumber her.  A lot of people do not realize that even today, Israel’s population is only around 9 million people, yet they have no problem tangling with countries that are substantially larger in population and land mass. But in his world, Israel couldn’t have won.

And I’m sure he thinks that just one more mobilization after the last 5 mobilizations is all Russia needs to take Kyiv.

On a side note, could you imagine the scraps that Russia will be picking up for their next mobilization?  The guys who either couldn’t afford to flee the country a year ago, or who were deemed unfit for the previous mobilizations.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m sure that in years last he was talking about how Israel was going to be driven into the sea multiple times over the last 70 years because her enemies far outnumber her.  A lot of people do not realize that even today, Israel’s population is only around 9 million people, yet they have no problem tangling with countries that are substantially larger in population and land mass. But in his world, Israel couldn’t have won.

And I’m sure he thinks that just one more mobilization after the last 5 mobilizations is all Russia needs to take Kyiv.

On a side note, could you imagine the scraps that Russia will be picking up for their next mobilization?  The guys who either couldn’t afford to flee the country a year ago, or who were deemed unfit for the previous mobilizations.

Nah, in a war what you do is hold back the good army and then unleash it after you’re on the back foot. Any day now.

• Haha 7