Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I thought the doctrine was to hit the front and rear. Then trap the remaining units in the mine field.

That depends on the situation and objectives.  If they were on a narrow path with no way to maneuver to either side, that works very well and can take your time dispatching them.  In an open field, even if it's mined, the target can disperse and take their chances with the mines and making a more diffuse set of targets.  Leaving the mine clearing tank in operation, their best chance to survive is to follow in its tracks.  This keeps the vehicles in column and following a known path.  In this case, better to let the mine clearer live.  For now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

I thought the doctrine was to hit the front and rear. Then trap the remaining units in the mine field.

Depends in the situation. In a bottleneck, then yes. 

Letting the point pass will bring as many of the enemy into the field of fire as possible. If the point keeps going, then the column follows.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That depends on the situation and objectives.  If they were on a narrow path with no way to maneuver to either side, that works very well and can take your time dispatching them.  In an open field, even if it's mined, the target can disperse and take their chances with the mines and making a more diffuse set of targets.  Leaving the mine clearing tank in operation, their best chance to survive is to follow in its tracks.  This keeps the vehicles in column and following a known path.  In this case, better to let the mine clearer live.  For now.

Ha! You already answered his question, and much more eloquently. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Canada introduced an amendment to that resolution that added a condemnation of Hamas and call to release hostages.  It didn’t get attached so Ukraine abstained, as did….Canada, Germany, the UK, Denmark, Poland, Netherlands, Italy, Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Australia, Japan, South Korea…..

Ukraine behaved like the countries it wants to be aligned with. I’d say it’s a very good look. 

That’s fair. I, myself, feel that a ceasefire can be discussed…after the hostages are all released. 

21 minutes ago, statsman said:

That’s fair. I, myself, feel that a ceasefire can be discussed…after the hostages are all released. 

Not to mention, many of the countries that abstained or voted against are mostly the ones that are the bread and butter of Ukraine’s continued military and other aid.  At a very perilous time. 

Not to go cloak room, but can you imagine the shit show in this House if Ukraine was perceived to be voting anti-Israel at the UN? 

Such are the breaks when you’re in a war for survival. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The mine clearing vehicle may not be very effective in terms of direct combat, so not as much of a threat (but it makes sense that if it keeps going the others will follow it), but also it's the most valuable vehicle in that column, and the Ukrainians may have a farmer on standby, ready to capture it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

This would mark the first usage of ATACMS in Russian-occupied Crimea, further complicating Russia's already strained logistical issues and even diminish Crimea as a staging ground for Russian attacks in all of Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

It's time to revisit the "Game-It-Out" theorem of what happens, not if but when, Putin's Russia directly attacks a NATO ally on their own soil.  Not their troops operating within intra-Ukraine theater.  Not by proxy via Belarus or Wagner, but by Russia military proper.  What does U.S. reaction in a situation like that look like?  Do our NATO commanders and assets in Europe stand down via a direct order from CiC or act out Article 5?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

It's time to revisit the "Game-It-Out" theorem of what happens, not if but when, Putin's Russia directly attacks a NATO ally on their own soil.  Not their troops operating within intra-Ukraine theater.  Not by proxy via Belarus or Wagner, but by Russia military proper.  What does U.S. reaction in a situation like that look like?  Do our NATO commanders and assets in Europe stand down via a direct order from CiC or act out Article 5?  

Depends on who is POTUS when that happens.  And you know I'm not exaggerating, no CR.

What would be APPROPRIATE?  A measured response by NATO.  If there's a Russian air attack on a base in Lithuania, for example, NATO should strike the base from which the attack was launched.

• Hook 'Em 7

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Depends on who is POTUS when that happens.  And you know I'm not exaggerating, no CR.

What would be APPROPRIATE?  A measured response by NATO.  If there's a Russian air attack on a base in Lithuania, for example, NATO should strike the base from which the attack was launched.

When you say strike the base, I hope you mean rain down ordinance on it such that it becomes one large crater with a fire in the center that is measured in half life. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1. Deport all Russian foreign nationals
  2. Seize assets of those Russian foreign nationals in US
  3. Revoke all Russian student visas
  4. Go scorched earth on sanctions.  Us corps trading with Russia tried and if found guilty are dissolved.  Managers of those corps charged to the fullest extent of the law. Foreign corps who trade with Russia face asset seizure and ability to operate in the US.  Officers (and their family members) of those corporations are fully excluded from travel to US.
  5. Extend sanctions to other countries dealing with Russia
  6. Embargo Russia's oil/CNG
  7. Military strikes of proportionate size

• Hook 'Em 7

23 minutes ago, locodos said:

Deport all Russian foreign nationals

So I used to work with a Russian lady.  I have no clue if she is here working on a visa, is a resident alien, or is now a citizen.  Let’s say for this case she’s not a citizen. Her husband is Ukrainian, they have a small child, and are hosting the husband’s parents who fled ukraine at the start of the war.  She needs to be deported?  

or does “foreign nationals” carry a specificity that I’m unfamiliar?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I used to work with a Russian lady.  I have no clue if she is here working on a visa, is a resident alien, or is now a citizen.  Let’s say for this case she’s not a citizen. Her husband is Ukrainian, they have a small child, and are hosting the husband’s parents who fled ukraine at the start of the war.  She needs to be deported?  

The Brisket approach to geopolitics often leaves quite the trail of collateral damage.

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

of course it does...  in the context of my post it means russian assholes

If you want me to create a response to an act of war that is universally fair and considers every possible hypothetical and magically discerns the wicked from the fair...  you might not have been paying close attention to this branch of the simulation code.

So, if you are a Russian foreign national, your legal status to remain in the country has been revoked, by actions of your country!  Is it fair, IDK was the hypothetical attack on the US fair?

Heck I thought they should be rounded up and deported to the nearest country to the US that would welcome them in.  You know, Toussaint Louverture International.   

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Brisket approach to geopolitics often leaves quite the trail of collateral damage.

Huh? I didn’t say “deport everyone.”
I would be willing to consider an approach that subjects russian passport holders to increased scrutiny, because of act of war and whatnot. But not any blanket deportation action or something like that.

Just now, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

until we can figure out what the hell is going on

forever is a long time dude

Listen my point is to use US (and hopefully her allies)  soft power to foment change in Russia/Russian policy.  The fat cats have left the hard life in Russia to the poor and are living large in the US, Europe, Asia free from care that they have horrible neo colonial policies.  Freeze their assets, send them back and you will have a monied, educated, and westernized group that is pissed off.  Let them work for change if they don't want to be treated as a pariah.  Why should we spend US blood and treasure keeping Russian aggression in check, whilst rolling out the red carpet for their citizens to enjoy.

Or maybe I'm reading that all wrong and these are Putin's boys who live a life of luxury abroad due to Russia's autocratic/ criminal economic practices.  In which case, seems like a good move booting them out.

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

He's a bully that's scared of the other kids and so he talks a big game and tells everybody he has a big daddy (or in Putins' case, nukes).  He (or his proxies) says the things that he says precisely because he's terrified of NATO - he makes threats because that's all he has and he's trying desperately to shut down military aid to Ukraine by trying to convince idiots in the NATO countries that they are pissing away their national defense by sending aid to Ukraine.  NATO basically called his bluff on the shipping deal, and he backed down - you don't see Russian ships flirting with going into NATO waters after Ukrainian-bound ships, you don't see him trying to bring Russian warships into the Black Sea from the Mediterranean.

We are 613 days into the Special Military Operation.  He can't do shit outside of Ukraine short of a few missile attacks, he doesn't have air superiority, and seems to have lost naval superiority.  He may have a lot of information withheld from him because the messengers don't want to fall out of a window, but he can look at a calendar and see it's October of 2023, which is different than February of 2022.

For fuck's sake, this is a guy who is scared of religious leaders.  Just look at this fucking table - those guys should all be scared of him, but instead he's scared of them.

653b9a76356802a56be5a376?width=700

He avoids the front or even traveling any decent distance into Ukraine that's controlled by Russian troops.  He visits Moscow only when he has to, and otherwise hangs out in a fancy palace/bunker as much as he can (when he's not meeting friendly world leaders that he still doesn't trust).

He's not going to start shit with NATO proper when he can't even beat Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 7