Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They're getting upgrades.

Yeah, it is pretty clear that pretty much all the weapon systems others are giving to Ukraine are being directed and enabled by us. We are doing a good job of letting our allies take credit while quietly arranging everything.

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, it is pretty clear that pretty much all the weapon systems others are giving to Ukraine are being directed and enabled by us. We are doing a good job of letting our allies take credit while quietly arranging everything.

He may be old, have a stutter, and possibly/probably is a little loopy, but Biden has shown to have as steady of a hand as The Waco Kid.

3A455ACD-3DBE-4C82-95A8-A229F23D4798.gif.3c08cf510bcde767dcb4b25c890624d1.gif

I mean, AFTER he kicked the sauce.….

B225937C-8D87-4076-BDAD-E621A8DA6E47.gif.bb7e95d917a2fa4f4a7d45fd7bcb0f2b.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I believe the actual quote from the Pentagon was that Russia is mobilizing reserves and hopes to get up to 60,000.

Yeah, will be interesting to see how many of those reservists bail.  Also, Putin had publicly said they wouldn't need them, and 60,000 means hundreds of thousands of people are going to hear this and be talking about it, even if Russian social media is strictly controlled.  Even if they all buy the party line that this special operation was necessary, they were told that reservists wouldn't be needed.

My guess is that they'll send those reservists to other areas inside of Russia, freeing up active-duty troops to be shipped to Ukraine.

They clearly don't have enough manpower, or else we would have seen it already.  

Yet more proof that they've had a shit-ton of deaths and casualties, and that they are having problems keeping the troops they have deployed (lots of rumors about soldiers balking, etc.).  Also could be a sign that Putin is actually aiming for that May date to declare victory.  Try to surge in a bunch of troops (will take weeks) and then pull out.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

You just know that his buddies were hollering at him to run somewhere else.  Dumb fuck.

3 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

As I was watching that, in my mind I heard them yelling "God dammit, Carl!"

I'm picturing his buddies seeing him yelling about the UAV, spotting it, then this

run-away.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Saw a report they suffered a strong cyber hit today. Serious, what could Russia do? Can they really think they can fight a two front war without pulling troops from all over the country? 

Finland's hackers are better than Russia's hackers

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Surprised that Raytheon and Northrup Grumman stock hasn't shot through the roof in the past month.

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Slovakia confirms S-300 to Ukraine. 

Czech tanks and IFVs, Slovak air defense…you’re on deck, Poland! 

The Czech Republic is donating BMP-1s which have been around since the mid-60s. Not exactly top of the line stuff here. But I suppose it's better than hoofing it on foot.

The S-300 that Slovakia is "donating" OTO is a step down from the S-400 that the Russians have, but still pretty effective. My understanding is the S-300 is still a better system than the Patriot.

AFP9203374509065684624277591298972169938414-ukraine-russia-conflict-missile-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Superhero said:

The Czech Republic is donating BMP-1s which have been around since the mid-60s. Not exactly top of the line stuff here. But I suppose it's better than hoofing it on foot.

The S-300 that Slovakia is "donating" OTO is a step down from the S-400 that the Russians have, but still pretty effective. My understanding is the S-300 is still a better system than the Patriot.

AFP9203374509065684624277591298972169938414-ukraine-russia-conflict-missile-1.jpg

Patriot has had dozens of upgrades over the years, but it dates back to the 80's.  

33 minutes ago, Superhero said:

The Czechs also donated a substantial portion of their T-72s, not upgraded to current Russian standards but at the level Ukrainians are using.

The Patriot and S-300 are designed with two different ideas of air defense in mind. The S-300 is what Ukraine, with a shortage of fighters and a lot of ground to defend needs.  If war broke out in NATO territory, where everyone expects the U.S./UK/Western Allies to do the heavy lifting, Slovakia is better off with the fully interoperable system designed to support what America does. It gets complicated but basically, we would expect our air forces to secure control of the air space and prevent incursions from enemy aircraft while Russia is mostly depending on its SAMs systems to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Austrian Chancellor is visiting Kyiv tomorrow.  Pretty bold and interesting.  He won't be the last, I think a bunch of European bigwigs (in addition to those who have already visited) will be showing up, both to bolster their image back home, but also as a fuck you/dare to Putin.

This is more interesting.

11 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whichever of you said selling present weapon systems is an indicator of better shit in the pipeline here you go-

Yeah, it's like when the Air Force made a show of not testing some hypersonic missile last month to ease tensions with Russia,, I was chuckling, given that we had hypersonic aircraft flying in 1959, and we had experimented with it ever since then, including the AF doing some really advanced stuff in the 1990s, leading to the X-51 Waverider, etc. 15 or 20 years ago.  

And if Ukraine holds back Russia with existing tech, well that's going to provide a ton of data going forward for new systems, and it's clearing out inventories of old stuff so we can speed up acquisition of the new stuff.

Edit: The one thing that's hard to guess - how they will handle tanks going forward.  Abrams is getting another upgrade or two in the coming years (decided upon before the Ukraine war), but all of the data from the Javelins have got to be weighing on things.  I'm assuming that we are paying the Ukrainians to ship lots of Russian stuff to Poland so we can get a look at how well the Javelin, NLAW, etc. have worked.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I spent actual money downloading their stuff, well I spent money on my phone bill downloading their stuff from BBSes that were long-distance to me.

I wasted way too much of my life being involved in the PC demoscene from 1992 up through... oh... 2003 or so?

Anyway. Yes. Finnish hackers are better than Russian hackers. 😀

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I wasted way too much of my life being involved in the PC demoscene from 1992 up through... oh... 2003 or so?

Anyway. Yes. Finnish hackers are better than Russian hackers. 😀

On this point I saw a story, in the last 48 hours that I failed to post here and can't find now, that we've been sandbagging RU hackers for years to give them false confidence and feed them false info.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I spent actual money downloading their stuff, well I spent money on my phone bill downloading their stuff from BBSes that were long-distance to me.

Next you fuckers are going to say you were on a Diku MUD on your dial up modem.  2400 baud baby.

Back to Russia and how to destroy your country from superpower to backwater Zimbabwe in two decades.

Just now, Hefeweizen said:

Back to Russia and how to destroy your country from superpower to backwater Zimbabwe in two decades.

A good way to get your soldiers talking to people about that trend is to ban them from social media

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/07/internet-ban-russian-soldiers-phones-ukrainian-propaganda-causes/

Putin: Everything is going well!

Putin: Also, you are not allowed to talk about how well everything is going!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is interesting to me for artillery reasons, because the Russians have regular howitzers/guns that can easily reach the ranges that these MLRS's are hitting, albeit with less of a warhead.  BUT, MLRS's are more expensive to shoot and tougher to keep supplied.  I can think of several reasons why they are using these, but none of them are good for the Russians, and all of them revolve around the Russians not securing as much of Mariupol as they claim.  Basically, these are easier to move, shoot, and scoot for laying down a lot of firepower on an area in a very short amount of time than regular howitzers, and/or this could be a situation once again of Russians using the weapons that are handy and ready rather than the weapons best-suited for the task.

They should be saving these for Ukrainian military units (and maybe they were, but they've used them against civilian areas a lot so it's hard to tell).

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

"Consequences."

The main consequences the Finns will face will be a significant depletion of their snipers' ammo supply.....

43 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Finns don't mess around. 

2vkPT5xN_mini.jpg

stavridisj

@stavridisj
· Mar 24
A Finnish general reacting to Putin’s threats if Finland joins NATO: “You are most welcome here to join the 200,000 Russians that are already in Finland buried a few meters in the ground after your last attempt in 1939." https://bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-03-20/russia-invades-ukraine-lessons-of-finland-s-winter-war-against-soviets via @bopinion

Finland to Russia:

morpheus-the-matrix.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

FP2H_rrXMAU5aTi?format=jpg&name=900x900

Wow, that's pretty incompetent to not have a unified command at the start, and instead leave it up to the districts that the units came from.

Amazingly incompetent.  

There's a reason why we have used people like Norman Schwarzkopf in unified commands, and why NATO has a supreme commander.

• Like 1

On the LePen impact, what have the French given Ukraine in military support? 

Don't get me wrong. Her winning would suck, but am just curious since I have not seen a lot on that. Seems like we let the French take N Africa while we focused on Ukraine alongside Canada and the neighbors for UA's training. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How disastrous a Le Pen victory in France could be cannot be overstated.

There is a war between hard-right authoritarianism and the rest of the world being waged, and it has been for some time.   Some countries have pulled back from the brink (some by a good bit, some barely), others remain there (Hungary and Orban), and others remain vulnerable.

Putin's asymmetric war against the West is far from over.  Shit was set in motion that can't all be stopped overnight.

And for those of you wondering and using those terms, yes, WWIII has been going on for 10-15 years now, and most of the wins (e.g., Brexit) have been Russia's.  This war is the first real setback they've experienced....and they could still pull out something that can be characterized as a win.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's The Sun, so take it with a grain of salt, but Putin supposedly showed up at Zhirinovsky's funeral with Russia's nuclear briefcase.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/5081150/putin-secret-nuclear-briefcase-world-war-three/

You shouldn't read anything into that for a couple reasons:

1) Just as with POTUS, the Russian nuclear football is always readily accessible.  The reasons for that are obviously.  So it shouldn't be a surprise to see the guy carrying it closely at hand.

2) The Russians use the nuclear football as something of a symbol of state authority vested in the president.  It's like with the lictors who would accompany a Roman magistrate carrying the fasces.  It's just an ostentatious display of brute force--very Russian.  But it's always there; there's no significance to it being there right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1