So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That and all of the other QB recruiting fuck ups that transpired after Vince left. The amount of Texas born and bred QBs that absolutely crushed it for other teams between 2005 and 2016 was absolutely sickening.

You're in Austin, Texas and you don't have an elite college QB under center 100% of the time? Inexcusable.

And no I didn't forget about Colt - Colt was a 3 star that almost didn't make it. Mack lucked into another 5 years of coaching when Colt turned the corner and became full Texas legend status.

Recruiting at QB or really any position should be, you take a pool cue and break it in half and toss the two halves on the floor in front of 3-5 guys and say "Tryouts! I got two scholarships open. Good luck."

• Like 1

Mack did leave some crushing holes on the depth chart that started manifesting themselves immediately, what with seniors leaving after the 2013 season and Ash going medical at the start of the 2014 season. That excuses a significant number of losses in the rebuild that followed. But Charlie ultimately wasn't able to give the program a clear direction and sense of progress. Part of that was bad coordinator hires and the chaotic shifts that engendered over three years. But I think that's ultimately just a symptom.

As much as I hate to say it,  Charlie just doesn't seem to have a stable vision of what he wants to build, an underlying philosophy that informs and integrates schematic choices, recruiting targets, game planning and in-game decision making, etc. At Texas, and now at USF, too many games seem to just sort of happen to him, for better or worse, and he just watches them unfold rather than imposing his own clear choices on them. It's weird. You'd think someone with his overall resume and testimonials from successful coaches wouldn't be like that, yet he is.

So even if Charlie left the program with a little more talent than Mack did, no cake could have ever been baked because there was no recipe. Herman had a tough job in 2017, particularly at OL and QB, but we see progress because he does seem to have a vision. I hope it works out.          

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Vince didn't teach Defense and neither did Mack.

So my point still stands, Mack didn't coach shit. He just came along for the ride.

No, Mack wasn't supposed to teach shit.  His job was to recruit and hire the right guys to do the coaching.  Obviously we all felt GDGD was subpar, but he could have been a lot worse, and outside of Akina and _iaz, his DC hires were pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

You're mostly right, but let's not get so mad at Strong that we end up rewriting history for the cause.

"he had enough talent to win 8 games his last year" -- yes, and they graduated that same year. The players that won the few games we did in subsequent years were Strong's recruits, not Mack's. The ones who transferred didn't get much done, either.

"He wasn't that great at Louisville" -- Few people recognized that at the time. At the time, his name was as hot as anyone's not named "Saban." The problem is that the "hot" coaching hire isn't the one you necessarily want -- I remember Gary Barnett being the hot name when Mack was hired (thus texlarry's famous "I'm stunned. I'm pissed" comment), but Barnett turned out to be a dud, and Mack reset our standards for winning, even getting us to a couple of MNC games and winning one of them.

Umm, there were plenty of guys from the 13 squad playing on the 14 and plenty of our commits were before Mack even had been fired.  

There's no rewriting history with Strong at Louisville.  If the old board wasn't dead, you could see plenty of people questioning the hire for those very reasons.  Strong got hired because we couldn't get Saban or Briles (thankfully).  After that, it was the media going on about how poor Charlie Strong waited soooooooooo long for his chance to be a head coach, constantly being passed over until finally Louisville game him a shot and then it was just all about his record those last two seasons (with zero analysis about the quality of those wins).  Then you add in the people like the poster earlier that just think we HAD to give a black coach a chance due to prior sins and A&M having hired one already.  Remember the bug wig idiots that wanted to hire Dennis fucking Green instead of Mackovic?  They were still around.  There was pretty much zero chance we were hiring anyone except Strong at that point.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:
On 11/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, Nicole44 said:
I’d offer up this if only to say (a) Charlie Strong while he did not do well here is not a bad person (b) while Mack Brown screwed up while imo waiting to become the AD slacked off in recruiting but also won us a championship that is so rare other than in Saban’s reign should be at least applauded © so bored with this argument. If we win this weekend. Great! Do we dominate? Is this like Bama? Because I’ve never seen anything like that. (D) if Saban was a possibility as a UT coach “fuck anyone” and I repeat “fuck anyone” and any of your kids and grandkids and their kids that sabotaged that (e) if that circles around to Mack see (d)

Read more  

Mack didn't win that championship. One Vincent Paul Young won the championship. Vince told ol butter teeth and his untrained monkey gdgd to fuck off, he's got it. And Vince DID have it. Mack and gdgd would have pissed it all away if they had kept forcing their mindless shit on the offense.

I see. You do realize we have only won a MNC once since DKR? So twice in the storied badass history of our program? Sorry for attribution of any sort with anyone who is still butthurt about butterteath. You'd have Thought he came in here and had a losing record with the dipshit overwhelming hate that he gets. He deserves absolutely to own what he leftthe program with when he was forced out but let’s not pretend it was so great to start with

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t necessarily agree on the Tech 2008 game.  Our offense had been hit and miss that game, and trying to run a few more plays to bleed the clock could have caused us to not score at all.  We weren’t a great power running team that could feel confident about punching it in whenever we wanted to.  I think we just had to try to score as best as we could.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This has always been my stance.  Obviously hindsight proves us wrong, but it wasn't an offensive shootout like we see today.  We weren't scoring at will nothing was guaranteed.

Once we were a few plays into the drive and moving, the clock was bleeding and it was clear we would not get another possession barring a turnover.  We had two choices:  Play for one score and drain the clock to nothing in the process -OR- Just play our game and deal with whatever was left on the clock. 

Mack chose the latter and it was a fatal error. 

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Once we were a few plays into the drive and moving, the clock was bleeding and it was clear we would not get another possession barring a turnover.  We had two choices:  Play for one score and drain the clock to nothing in the process -OR- Just play our game and deal with whatever was left on the clock. 

Mack chose the latter and it was a fatal error. 

I don’t think it was a conscious choice. I think they weren’t really considering the clock. Like they had t really thought about it  

That was a weird effing game. I remember a draw play (or some such insanity) out of our own end zone early in that game. 

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think it was a conscious choice. I think they weren’t really considering the clock. Like they had t really thought about it  

That was a weird effing game. I remember a draw play (or some such insanity) out of our own end zone early in that game. 

I agree it was not a conscious choice.  It ended up being the default.  That is part of my problem with it.  Mack didn't think about it and he should have.  

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t necessarily agree on the Tech 2008 game.  Our offense had been hit and miss that game, and trying to run a few more plays to bleed the clock could have caused us to not score at all.  We weren’t a great power running team that could feel confident about punching it in whenever we wanted to.  I think we just had to try to score as best as we could.

That shit is nine-tenths people playing too much Madden. I haven't watched the end of that game since 2008 so I'll grant it's possible we could have assumed we had more than enough time to score and run more time off the clock between plays, but the idea that we could have just run a fullback dive five times in a row to cover the last 15 yards and then called The Touchdown Play is video game bullshit.

Shit we might has well have lined up in the Hail Mary formation, put our fastest receiver at QB, and sprinted out every play. That worked just fine in NCAA Football 2009.

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I see. You do realize we have only won a MNC once since DKR? So twice in the storied badass history of our program? Sorry for attribution of any sort with anyone who is still butthurt about butterteath. You'd have Thought he came in here and had a losing record with the dipshit overwhelming hate that he gets. He deserves absolutely to own what he leftthe program with when he was forced out but let’s not pretend it was so great to start with

He won one and should have won three. Play his coaching career out 100 times and I think we win at least 2 MNCs 90/100. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Right. He posts here as ztejas. He melted down and disappeared for a happy long while, but a new handle has dusted off that shame.

Show me one post defending Charlie you insecure cunt. You don't know me and how would you know anyway? You have me on ignore last time I checked. 

• Fuck You 2

Your new nickname is Free Willy and that's what I will address you by from now on. Insulting people without tagging them or quoting them while you have them on ignore might be the most bitch-made thing I have seen on here yet, so now that's what I will do to you. You might be the smartest person in the world but it doesn't mean a thing when paired with zero personal integrity. 

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

. You'd think someone with his overall resume and testimonials from successful coaches wouldn't be like that, yet he is.

From his assistant days?  Because his HC record isn't proven.  He caught fire in a bottle with an NFL QB for 2 seasons playing in a weak ass conference.  They played all of 1...or 2 ranked teams in that tenure?  But the W-L looks nice on paper.

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What he doesn't bring to the table in terms of humor or intelligence, he makes up for in volume. I've clicked on threads where he shows up and spreads like a virus. Every 2 out of 3 posts is this guy's insipid threadbombing. 

Are you talking about Free Willy?

6 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

This has got to be the most bizzaro revisionist post I've seen in a long time.  

Mack brown went 101-16 over a nine year period from 2001 through 2009.  That's a tad bit better than "along for the ride".

Not sure what is so difficult to understand. FROM THE WEEK AFTER THE LOSS TO OKLAHOMA VINCE'S SENIOR YEAR, MACK GOT OUT OF THE WAY AND WAS SIMPLY ALONG FOR THE RIDE.

Notice how many points Texas scored against Oklahoma on Saturday, October 9th, 2004. Mack Brown learned from Dean Smith on how to limit the production of your best player. The quote goes "Who was the only person who could stop Michael Jordan?... DEAN SMITH"

Well who was the only person who could shut down Vince Young?... Mack Brown 

Screen-Shot-2018-11-30-at-7-12-08-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-11-30-at-7-12-27-PM.png

On Saturday, October 9th, 2004, Mack Brown managed to keep the Texas offense from scoring.

Early the following week, Vince goes to talk to Mack Brown and says "Coach... just let me play."

VINCE YOUNG REALS OFF 20 STRAIGHT WINSMack Brown lets go of the reins of the University of Texas offense (he didn't hold the reins to the defense) and is along for the ride as Vince Young carries the team to 2 straight Rose Bowl wins and never scores less than 25 again, but tops 50 points 8 (EIGHT) TIMES on his way to becoming Black Jesus.

I do not understand why it is difficult to understand that MACK BROWN was the only person who could shut out Vince Young.

In 2004 Texas can't score a single point against Oklahoma and in 2005 Texas scores 45 fucking points!! (Oklahoma scored only 12 points both years, but the offense?)

Mack Brown SUCKED ASS in big games and finally let go and let Greg Davis provide an offense that would allow Vince Young to carry Mack's ass to national TV commentator status.

WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION? WHAT IS SO FUCKING DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? WHAT IS BIZARRO REVISIONIST ABOUT THESE FACTS?

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Not sure what is so difficult to understand. FROM THE WEEK AFTER THE LOSS TO OKLAHOMA VINCE'S SENIOR YEAR, MACK GOT OUT OF THE WAY AND WAS SIMPLY ALONG FOR THE RIDE.

Notice how many points Texas scored against Oklahoma on Saturday, October 9th, 2004. Mack Brown learned from Dean Smith on how to limit the production of your best player. The quote goes "Who was the only person who could stop Michael Jordan?... DEAN SMITH"

On Saturday, October 9th, 2004, Mack Brown managed to keep the Texas offense from scoring.

Early the following week, Vince goes to talk to Mack Brown and says "Coach... just let me play."

VINCE YOUNG REALS OFF 20 STRAIGHT WINSMack Brown lets go of the reins of the University of Texas offense (he didn't hold the reins to the defense) and is along for the ride as Vince Young carries the team to 2 straight Rose Bowl wins and never scores less than 25 again, but tops 50 points 8 (EIGHT) TIMES on his way to becoming Black Jesus.

I do not understand why it is difficult to understand that MACK BROWN was the only person who could shut out Vince Young.

In 2004 Texas can't score a single point against Oklahoma and in 2005 Texas scores 45 fucking points!! (Oklahoma scored only 12 points both years, but the offense?)

Mack Brown SUCKED ASS in big games and finally let go and let Greg Davis provide an offense that would allow Vince Young to carry Mack's ass to national TV commentator status.

WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION? WHAT IS SO FUCKING DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND? WHAT IS BIZARRO REVISIONIST ABOUT THESE FACTS?

Pretty damn impressive that Vince Young was 158-48 as a starting QB at Texas. Didn't realize guys could play that long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This makes me and Free Willy's bitch fest look like afternoon water cooler talk. 

35 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Remind me off this senior year Vince had. I'm a bit fuzzy on it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deej said:

Remind me off this senior year Vince had. I'm a bit fuzzy on it

Typo

We all know he left after his redshirt junior year. Too late to edit it. Consider “senior” to mean “4th year on campus” if it makes you feel better. 

(Though I consider “4th year on campus” to mean “2nd sophomore year”.)

Edited by Napoleon

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

the fact that you think our winning a national championship came down to Vince Young telling Mack Brown "stop coaching" and Mack saying "hurrrr durrr OK i won't coach for the next twenty games" and then an uncoached team won the national championship

you have a facile, not to say todder-like, understanding of how championship football teams are led

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, ztejas said:

Helped that he was playing with an absolutely stacked roster that probably wins that game by 2 scores with a healthy Colt.

I’m no Gilbert apologist, but that Texas offense was hardly stacked.

Our OL - none of whom went on to sniff the NFL - was guys like Hix, Huey, Tanner, and Ulatoski.  Our backfield was Tre Newton and DJ Monroe.  Our receivers - outside of Jordan Shipley - were Dan Buckner and Malcolm Williams, with a freshman Marquise Goodwin getting some reps too.

The only great players on that offense were McCoy and Shipley, and Gilbert replaced half of them.  It’s a testament to how great those two guys were - and how great our defense was - that we very possibly win that game if Colt doesn’t get hurt.

• Like 3

the fact that you think our winning a national championship came down to Vince Young telling Mack Brown "stop coaching" and Mack saying "hurrrr durrr OK i won't coach for the next twenty games" and then an uncoached team won the national championship
you have a facile, not to say todder-like, understanding of how championship football teams are led
Urine idoit cause Vince telling Mack and gdgd to fuck off is the reason we have that championship.

Goddamn Mack your now coack at nc get the fuck off of here.

Lol. You guys and making dumb ass threads. We just lost 4 ball games while completely healthy, while finally having good QB play. Meanwhile here we are laughing at Strong for losing 5. Meanwhile, their starting QB went down 4 games ago when they were 7-1. They would've likely finished with a better season than us if they didn't happen. We need to put our collective dicks back in our pants folks.

• Fuck You 6

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. You guys and making dumb ass threads. We just lost 4 ball games while completely healthy, while finally having good QB play. Meanwhile here we are laughing at Strong for losing 5. Meanwhile, their starting QB went down 4 games ago when they were 7-1. They would've likely finished with a better season than us if they didn't happen. We need to put our collective dicks back in our pants folks.

Don't be that guy

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

their starting QB only missed 2 games, so he took 3 losses by himself alone, recording 11/11 TD/INT so wasnt exactly Quinton fucking Flowers there

• Like 1