GDGD still on the payroll

bschoolprof

Texas coach Tom Herman hired Davis as a paid consultant this season, mining his expertise for a week during training camp in August and again the week of the regular-season matchup with the Sooners.

“Greg Davis has been a longtime mentor and friend, whose opinion I value greatly,” Herman said. “I can’t thank him enough for all of his wisdom and support for many years. This year he’s been an excellent resource on programwide enhancement, and I’m truly grateful to have that.”

Davis has also worked with coaching staffs at Iowa State, Florida and North Dakota State. And he loved his time with Herman.

He sat in on offensive staff meetings.

He watched the two-minute drill and answered Herman’s questions about the use of timeouts.

He helped the staff brainstorm about situational football. Like the Horns having the ball on their own 2, facing fourth down with a one-point lead and four seconds to play. Do you throw it deep out of the shotgun or do you trust the punter?

“I’ve got a check list of things, two or three pages long,” he said. “We timed it over and over when I was coaching, and it was always about five seconds or more.”

He watches every UT game. On the television and again the coaches’ copy on his iPad. He scribbles down notes, and “if there’s something I think is worth mentioning, I will. It’s very brief.”

In an hourlong conversation, Davis constantly devalued his input and any significant contributions, but when pressed, he did mention Texas switching from its usual weak-side post route on a flood route play to a back-side square-in. The play worked twice against OU in October, and Herman thanked him in a postgame text.

“Please don’t make me out to be any hero or anything,” said Davis, maybe the most humble coach I’ve covered. “I’m just helping a friend. I’m just the old grandpa sitting in a corner of the room.”

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-davis-part-help-longhorns-rise/

• Like 1

Good. Greg Davis was pretty dang good at big picture thinking outside the box molding his O around his current set of players

it was his in the game playcalling that was an issue. 

I have no issue with him helping Herman think big picture and pointing out little things that might be overlooked 

• Like 1

Just now, Deguello said:

Horizontal passing game and congenital inability to call a long pass on second and one notwithstanding, I’m less harsh in my evaluation of Davis after seeing what happened to Harsin. 

The QB sneaks on second and inches just made my blood boil.  I'm not sure if that was GDGD or FUPM calling for that but whoever it should have been immediately struck down by the football gods.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

The truth is he was mostly fine here and sometimes quite good until Mack demanded that he install the 1950's offense Bama beat us with. Despite the fact that what GDGD was doing had allowed us to keep it competitive with Bama in the NCG with our backup QB and a really quite bad OL.

Agree with this

• Like 1

Davis and Mack had a golden age of Texas football. As time passes the morons get quieter and you realize all they did accomplish instead of what they failed to do. 

Winning ten game for ten years, watching your guys on draft day and in the NFL, being in the conversation for the title most years.........yeah. We do it all again even if it ended the same way. It was a historical run and the best the Big 12 will ever see in regards to talent and prestige world..er conference wide. 

Coincidence our offense is a magnitude of 100000x Shawn Watson’s better?

• Like 2

Something's been bothering me for a very long time... Can someone who is smart with Xs and Os please explain why GDGD's bubble screen (arguably his most-hated play call) almost always resulted in catastrophic failure?

I've seen almost every other team at almost every level of football run the play with success, as long as there's adequate blocking.

Gerg's version-- instead of assigning blockers-- would leave the (often under-sized) receiver alone with his dick firmly in his hand with zero blocking support in just enough space so one or more receivers could tee off on the receiver, blowing up the play and allowing the receiver to experience what it must be like to be a soldier in a bunker when a live grenade goes off.

What gives?

Thanks in advance.

He helped the staff brainstorm about situational football. Like the Horns having the ball on their own 2, facing fourth down with a one-point lead and four seconds to play. Do you throw it deep out of the shotgun or do you trust the punter?

why is this one even a question?????

edit:  missed the "4 seconds to play" part.

Edited by gsoda3

13 minutes ago, Lou Loomis said:

Something's been bothering me for a very long time... Can someone who is smart with Xs and Os please explain why GDGD's bubble screen (arguably his most-hated play call) almost always resulted in catastrophic failure?

I've seen almost every other team at almost every level of football run the play with success, as long as there's adequate blocking.

Gerg's version-- instead of assigning blockers-- would leave the (often under-sized) receiver alone with his dick firmly in his hand with zero blocking support in just enough space so one or more receivers could tee off on the receiver, blowing up the play and allowing the receiver to experience what it must be like to be a soldier in a bunker when a live grenade goes off.

What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Bubble screens work best when the DBs are playing off.  Since 90% of the passing game was w/in 5 yds of the LOS...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

The truth is he was mostly fine here and sometimes quite good until Mack demanded that he install the 1950's offense Bama beat us with. Despite the fact that what GDGD was doing had allowed us to keep it competitive with Bama in the NCG with our backup QB and a really quite bad OL.

Mhm, and I think Mack had a similarly negative effect on playcalling.  He was very much a devotee of that 50s offense and demanded GDGD "go to ground" in odd and inappropriate places, like the aforementioned second and shorts.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Mhm, and I think Mack had a similarly negative effect on playcalling.  He was very much a devotee of that 50s offense and demanded GDGD "go to ground" in odd and inappropriate places, like the aforementioned second and shorts.

Prepared GDGD for working under Ferentz.

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

As long as he is nowhere close to calling plays, I have no problem with this.  For all the crap he got from Longhorn fans (much of is deserved) the dude knows the game.

6 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Agree with this

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Davis and Mack had a golden age of Texas football. As time passes the morons get quieter and you realize all they did accomplish instead of what they failed to do. 

Winning ten game for ten years, watching your guys on draft day and in the NFL, being in the conversation for the title most years.........yeah. We do it all again even if it ended the same way. It was a historical run and the best the Big 12 will ever see in regards to talent and prestige world..er conference wide. 

Coincidence our offense is a magnitude of 100000x Shawn Watson’s better?

6 hours ago, Lou Loomis said:

What gives?

Thanks in advance.

What the fuck is even going on here. Have we forgotten so soon?

Good lord... I should know full well the foibles of GDGD, as I heard them all when I spent years on message boards idiotically defending the charlatan.

Actual nice things you can claim about GDGD:

• We did not have to worry about our QBs being developed reasonably well
  • He was usually unafraid to call the obvious play, e.g. hand the ball off to Ricky Williams 40 times per game

Not so nice things you can claim about GDGD:

• He was so unafraid to call the obvious play that OU, KSU, pretty much anyone knew our plays as soon as we lined up, and how to exploit them.
  • Idiotic blocking schemes. "Let's have the OT reach-block a crashing DE"
  • Inability to use the vertical passing game.
  • Doesn't know how to pull a lineman on a running play. Or any kind of counter/trap running play.
  • Called sideline passes on isolated WRs with 2 DBs in the area. Seriously you fuckwit... the whole point of a screen pass (aka, a properly designed sideline pass) is that there's supposed to be another WR or two over there to screen the defenders away, so that the guy who catches the ball can actually advance beyond the LOS...
  • No idea how to use formations to trick the defense into thinking one call was coming when another one is coming (things that Herman this year, and Harsin when he was here, did regularly)

C'mon, you idiots. It isn't as if we didn't see this exact same bullshit when he went to Iowa. Because we did.

He got lots of points/yards against crap competition, but as soon as the talent level on the field was equal... Nothin'.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Nivek said:

His offenses avg 40ppg for a decade.

I really love the idiots who still think scoring more vs lesser competition and less vs equivalent is terrible.

As if this is not expected.

it's not merely that he scored less. It's that he scored little or nothing. But do rehash these old excuses that we already know to be bullshit.

LOL at using Greg Davis to scout against OU. Remember the infamous 2004 “we were trying to keep the score low” strategy? I was a good wingman away from going Aurora movie theatre on our AD after I heard that quote the following Monday after the loss. 

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

As long as he is nowhere close to calling plays, I have no problem with this.  For all the crap he got from Longhorn fans (much of is deserved) the dude knows the game.

Yep. But I never thought the playcalling issues under GDGD were really just GDGD's doing.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Harsin’s Offense looked like shit too from time to time.  I think Mack meddled quite a bit with playcalling.  Especially in big games...

This x1000!!

Mack's gaping vagina was Texas' Achilles heel in big games.

I've ranted about it on another thread.

16 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Bubble screens work best when the DBs are playing off.  Since 90% of the passing game was w/in 5 yds of the LOS...

This.

GDGD was the king of throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down.  Opposing teams would always play up on our receivers.  And GDGD would always have us chucking the bubble screen into that shit.  Over and over and over. 

There's nothing wrong with using the bubble screen to punish opposing defenses for playing too far off your receivers.  But it should never be something showing up on every series.  Unless the defense refuses to play up on you ever, you're probably not running it more than 2-3 times a game.  Somehow GDGD decided we should run it 10+ times a game.  Against defenses who weren't playing off the line.  Which means it ended up as a wasted play a large amount of the time.

Another thing that always left me scratching my head with this shit was that we usually ran a modified form of the bubble screen.  On the bubble screen, the receiver catching the ball is lined up closer to the QB and behind his blockers on that side of the field.  The ball is snapped and he gets a running start where he's curving out further behind his teammates.  This lets him get up to speed a bit before he ever reaches a defender.  What we would do is just line up in essentially tight trips and one receiver would step back, stand stock still, and wait for the ball.  No speed, no momentum, and the receiver is closer to the defenders who now just have to barge ahead to slow and/or stop the play.  I suppose this would just be called a screen pass and isn't technically a bubble screen, though they're essentially trying to do the same thing.  Either way, we sucked at it and we never stopped running it.

Also, it matters who your personnel are.  A guy like Roy Williams could house that shit because he can beat a defender one on one.  When you're lacking a huge dude like Roy, you also need someone out there who can actually throw a block.  Towards the tail end of GDGD's and Mack's tenure here, they had neither.  Constantly running the same shit and throwing short of the sticks works when you've got the athletes to out-muscle and out-quick the other team.  It's a recipe for failure when you don't.  Which kinda sums up Mack and Davis, don't it?  Crush the inferior competition with your mega-athletes.  Get worked by teams that you can't out-athlete to the tune of oh, I dunno, 65-13 or something like that. 

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, Rimbo said:

it's not merely that he scored less. It's that he scored little or nothing. But do rehash these old excuses that we already know to be bullshit.

Or continue to restate bullshit that keeps being pointed out as wrong and pretend it isn't.   

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

Or continue to restate bullshit that keeps being pointed out as wrong and pretend it isn't.   

See, I'm in the unique position of having been one of his defenders. You're only repeating the same idiotic things that I myself used to say. Which means I'm all too familiar with the mindset you're in right now.

What you're failing to account for here is the talent level of the squad. Great talent can cover up for shitty coaching. That's what happened during Greg Davis' tenure. You see the yards and points and wins and think they mean more because there was great defense, special teams, and overwhelming talent advantage. Those had more to do with those wins and offenses than anything Greg Davis was doing. A brain damaged manatee could've done as well.

So you're in the odd position of making arguments I know full well to be bullshit because I used to make them myself.

Edited by Rimbo

On 12/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, Rimbo said:

See, I'm in the unique position of having been one of his defenders. You're only repeating the same idiotic things that I myself used to say. Which means I'm all too familiar with the mindset you're in right now.

What you're failing to account for here is the talent level of the squad. Great talent can cover up for shitty coaching. That's what happened during Greg Davis' tenure. You see the yards and points and wins and think they mean more because there was great defense, special teams, and overwhelming talent advantage. Those had more to do with those wins and offenses than anything Greg Davis was doing. A brain damaged manatee could've done as well.

So you're in the odd position of making arguments I know full well to be bullshit because I used to make them myself.

Brett Robin.  Victor Ike, Ivan Williams.   The recruiting that happened happened by accident.  Cause everyone wanted to be a Longhorn after Route 66.   I believe Ricky managed an earth shattering 40 yards that game.   

So you walked away from statistics to saying things like "those offenses scored below their average when facing a better defense"  and "we had better players, so we won"   We also had batter players than Kansas and we lost.