Ryan Day replaces Urban Meyer at Ohio State

Machinator

Must be investigations/ sanctions pending.

It is truly unbelievable that this guy makes his exit on his terms, without being embroiled in some controversy or bullshit reasoning.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Must be investigations/ sanctions pending.

It is truly unbelievable that this guy makes his exit on his terms, without being embroiled in some controversy or bullshit reasoning.

When things get hot, the answer is to come up with a medical issue.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Iowa State fans are the big winner here.

I literally let out an audible squeal when I saw the headline.

That's one bullet dodged.  If we get past the Browns opening, we're in the clear until the Browns fire whomever they hired in 2 years.

• Like 7

Surprised Ryan Day is named the coach without a national search. Any word on his contract terms?

I used to always wanna hire from outside because you need fresh blood. But, as one of the podcasts said, corporations who are doing well* hire from the inside. You go outside when you need to shake it up. (Herman to Texas is an example of doing it right.) In that case, Day is the right hire. He's gonna need to replace 1-2 defensive coaches and maybe our OL coach. Other than that I think he'll retain everyone.

Regarding recruits, I think he'll keep all of our commits. Guys we're working on who have NOT committed? Gonna be tougher. Zach Harrison, I'm talking to you. Michigan will get a good one.

*Other than the Zach Smith thing.

15 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Surprised Ryan Day is named the coach without a national search. Any word on his contract terms?

They're trying to copy Stoops-to-Riley, a handpicked young successor who can maybe relate to players better. Saves some money too, after a year of massive legal bills and probable hush money to people who knew what Zach was up to.

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I used to always wanna hire from outside because you need fresh blood. But, as one of the podcasts said, corporations who are doing well* hire from the inside. You go outside when you need to shake it up. (Herman to Texas is an example of doing it right.) In that case, Day is the right hire. He's gonna need to replace 1-2 defensive coaches and maybe our OL coach. Other than that I think he'll retain everyone.

Regarding recruits, I think he'll keep all of our commits. Guys we're working on who have NOT committed? Gonna be tougher. Zach Harrison, I'm talking to you. Michigan will get a good one.

*Other than the Zach Smith thing.

Yup.  Look at OU and Riley.  When you're doing well, promote from within.  When you're tanking, go outside the existing structure.  If you look at the coaching changes over the last few years at blue blood schools, specifically OU, UT, Michigan, and Ohio State, you see 2 who were performing well with sudden retirements that included a promotion of the previous guy's protege, and two who had slipped and were looking for someone fresh to take the reigns.

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

all these Ohio St scandals don't bother me at all since it's not close to home. The Aggy or OU ones would affect Texas, so that's big, same with any Bama ones . I really want to bring down Bama by any means necessary. TOSU isn't much of anything IMO

JK Dobbins, Baron Browning, Jeff Okudah, Kendall Sheffield, and Garrett Wilson all say hello

• Like 4

• Machinator changed the title to Ryan Day replaces Urban Meyer at Ohio State