2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

SIAP Wilbur Ross quote

Ross also minimized the broader economic fallout from the shutdown.

"While I feel sorry for the individuals that have hardship cases, 800,000 workers, if they never got their pay — which is not the case — they will eventually get it — but if they never got it, you're talking about a third of a percent on our GDP," Ross said. "So it's not like it's a gigantic number overall."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/24/688189978/commerce-secretary-wilbur-ross-downplayed-shutdown-hardships-dems-raged

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

JFC he can claim victory anytime he wants. His supporters will believe literally anything he says.

The shutdown has always been about distracting from the treason.

Walk me through this line of thinking.  I get the whole “everything he does is a distraction” angle, but I don’t see how it’s beneficial to him here.

There was plenty of “treason” smoke throughout the last six months of 2018, but his numbers were remarkably stable.  Then the shutdown started and created noticeable movement in approval/disapproval.

The public may not have the attention span to keep track of Kislyaks and Deripaskas, but they understand soup kitchens and missed chemo treatments.

It just seems to me that at this point, he’d rather have the “treason” distract from the shutdown, and not the other way around.

(If you’re thinking that there are going to be big “treason” shoes to drop in the coming weeks... I guess that might change the dynamic some.  But I still don’t see how giving up field position beforehand helps him any.)

4 minutes ago, Welch said:

Walk me through this line of thinking.  I get the whole “everything he does is a distraction” angle, but I don’t see how it’s beneficial to him here.

There was plenty of “treason” smoke throughout the last six months of 2018, but his numbers were remarkably stable.  Then the shutdown started and created noticeable movement in approval/disapproval.

The public may not have the attention span to keep track of Kislyaks and Deripaskas, but they understand soup kitchens and missed chemo treatments.

It just seems to me that at this point, he’d rather have the “treason” distract from the shutdown, and not the other way around.

(If you’re thinking that there are going to be big “treason” shoes to drop in the coming weeks... I guess that might change the dynamic some.  But I still don’t see how giving up field position beforehand helps him any.)

He has no fucking clue what he’s doing. He’s just flailing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Welch said:

He hasn't thought it through that much.  Trump is a giant ball of pure id.  To the extent he understands the shutdown, he sees that the FBI and federal courts are about to run out of money, and if he fires Mueller tomorrow, that story will be competing with people foregoing chemo treatments.  And to the extent he's engaging in any kind of actual political strategy, it's being driven by Stephen Miller, Ann Coulter, and Sean Hannity.

This is going to keep going until the business community, aka the only thing that GOP Senators care about, tells them they have to end this bs or they'll stop donating.

51 minutes ago, Welch said:

Trump is down a couple of scores, and he’s decided to play prevent defense.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dems should get that quote out there in every space on the internet possible in the next 24 hours.... 

"This is your fault", Mitch.

Now is the time to start pounding the Republicans. Instead of blaming Trump they need to call out the Republicans for refusing to retrieve their loose dog that's taking shits in everyone's yard.

• Like 3

That speech from Senator Bennet was something else.

He was commanding on the facts and very powerful.

And, boy, despite his mouth saying he respects “the Junior Senator from Texas” you can tell he despises Ted Cruz.

I have a huge dork crush on Brian Schatz.

And that WaPo article is amazing.

“Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?” McConnell snapped back.

Can’t you just see his saggy wattle flapping back and forth in anger?

Fuck em up, Nancy and Chuck!

5c9e2c237c856818770f12289af880be.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They're turning on each other.

Nancy Pelosi is the most impressive politician I've ever seen. 

She deserves credit to be sure, but she’s playing chess against a rutabaga.

Also, no end zone celebrations yet, but it looks like Trump’s GOP was able to function -5 days having to share power.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

So what happens if trump does declare a national emergency like CNN is reporting?   I assume McConnell puts up one of the House CRs for a vote.   It will require 60 votes to pass, right?  Does Schumer say no?  Do the Dems refuse to open the govt until trump removes the national emergency?   It would a dangerous game but I don’t think the average American would comprehend it other than trump was still at fault.

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So what happens if trump does declare a national emergency like CNN is reporting?   I assume McConnell puts up one of the House CRs for a vote.   It will require 60 votes to pass, right?  Does Schumer say no?  Do the Dems refuse to open the govt until trump removes the national emergency?   It would a dangerous game but I don’t think the average American would comprehend it other than trump was still at fault.

I've seen the scenario discussed where democrats then only support a stopgap measure if it overrides the national emergency. I don't think there will be much appetite for this, even if it's sound in principle. I think they'll reopen and let it play out in the courts. Pass some separate symbolic legislation limiting the emergency declaration. 

9 hours ago, Welch said:

It's quite simple, really.... 

ann-looks-crazy1.jpg

11 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Bennet's full remarks are awesome. Vulvarine is truly an evil dipshit. 

All 24 minutes are exceptional.  This is how democrats SHOULD talk.  Call out these POS tea bag traitors to their faces and explain why it’s important. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

This fat, soft, pathetic motherfucker purposefully hurting Americans all over a promise he couldn't keep. 

If his story doesn't end in prison there is no justice in the world. 

I'm hoping for a bullet/stab to the belly and a slow death from sepsis...but sure if it happened while in prison, that would be the icing on the cake.

5 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

Same issue at EWR

EWR and LGA have ground stops and ground delay programs on clear days if a bird shits in the sky within a 100 miles. Needs to be a nationwide gdp. I'm flying to SFO later and adding a shit ton of fuel.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Best comment:

"I don't see why they can't use their personal planes." - Wilbur Ross /s

I get the joke, but that wouldn't work if your private plane is at an effected airport since they'd still need FAA / ATC authorization to fly.

Edited by DixonHur
autocorrect

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story