Something in queens just happened

achooloco

18 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

That is some god damn freaky shit. 

Any official explanation yet? How big was this fucking transformer?

The cause: Mayor Bill de Blasio said the light was caused by an “electrical surge” at a Con Ed substation in Astoria, at the northern tip of Queens.

A Con Edison spokesman, Bob McGee, said early this morning: “What people were seeing was an electric arc flash. The electrical arc of that magnitude is similar to a thunder and lightning event.” The sound people heard was “the arc striking the ground.”

That had to have happened on one of their transformers going to distribution. It will be interesting to hear if they had been doing maintenance or if it was just online and happened randomly.

We’ve had contractors doing electrical work and they leave grounding balls on or their damn tools inside the gear. It makes a lot of noise but nothing like the videos from this event.

Interesting timing. I was listening to Coast-to-Coast AM the other night and I just assumed it was the usual kook calling in to tell about a time back in '78 or so that he was near Raleigh/Durham one night and the sky lit up bright blue. The caller said he never heard anything about it and that there were stories of UFOs being reported that night. Reading this and seeing that vid makes me think there was probably a power station in the area then that had something happen real similar to this event.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Interesting timing. I was listening to Coast-to-Coast AM the other night and I just assumed it was the usual kook calling in to tell about a time back in '78 or so that he was near Raleigh/Durham one night and the sky lit up bright blue. The caller said he never heard anything about it and that there were stories of UFOs being reported that night. Reading this and seeing that vid makes me think there was probably a power station in the area then that had something happen real similar to this event.

Maybe it’s the other way around, homey.