Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I hate to ask this but does anybody on this sight really think it is a good idea to teach the Bible in public schools?

If any other president said that, it would be big news. Trump tramples on the First Amendment so often that it barely registers anymore. 

These are already being sold on Amazon.

41mCGEW56CL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Description
Product description

What is the Trump Bible? Just as President Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Holy Bible, so there appears to be a new version of the Bible that's in accord with the ideology of Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

Well, some children of hispanic parents may not assimilate.

Imo, that's not the problem with what Brokaw said. If he's going to play the "they need to assimilate" card then he damn well better mention that Anglos (mostly Anglos, also blacks) need to do a better job of accepting hispanics into the culture. 

It's pretty rich for Brokaw to make this kind of statement when we have the President basically calling all Mexicans (and by extension, hispanics) rapists and bad people. 

ALL immigrants to the United States need to assimilate, because it's in their and the country's best interest.. While clearly in nearly every city their are cultural areas of concentration that are much more friendly to non-english speakers.  You mainly see concentrations in the US of Hispanic or Asian areas. I know folks in NW Austin who have actually moved to avoid a growing Asian population at Westwood high school.  My attitude is you might as well learn to compete against the best. My observation is that  children of first generation Asians are some of the best academically around.  It's a cultural thing that fades as they become more assimilated. In both the case of Asians and Hispanics the assimilation is often primarily though education.  The primary difference being that for Illegal immigrants the parents do not have opportunities to assimilate fully because of their residency status.

What has made America so great is that nearly universally the children of immigrants fully assimilate IF they educate themselves.  The not well educated have a MUCH greater difficulty assimilating.

Donald Trump without doubt purposely tapped into the existing vein of racism that is found primarily within the Republican party.  Not to say Dems aren't biased, and racist, simply not close to the degree of the Republican party.  All Trump did was allow the folks who were more careful about their racism to bring it out into the light more.  There is simply no way for anyone to get racists not to be racist.  Especially when the President is playing to their worst tendencies for personal political gain. the good news is that younger and more educated people are the counterweight.  Older people tend to be more racist as a whole, they are dying out...Brokaw simply states that assimilation is key to success of not only the immigrant, but the country.  A truthful observation is not racist in and of itself, even if stated by an old white guy. "They" "need" to assimilate for their own betterment as well as to make them a more integral part of the fabric of our country.  

Maybe I am foolish, or overly optimistic.  Outside of small town America the number of racists is a lot smaller than the number of non-racists.  I wish I could say this about smaller towns, but that would be an inaccurate statement.  I still remember by wife's company no longer allowing a black driver to deliver drugs to Nursing homes in Llano.  Simply because the racist cops there pulled him over multiple times in less than 6 months. My biggest concerns about racism, in fact lie in the number of uneducated police officers with racist tendencies in smaller cities and town.  The big cities often weed these cops out, and they simple move to smaller 'more embracing" communities.  But that's another story...

PS- one of the most interesting obervations regarding racistm is how non-whites are themselves racist.  Sort of a weird hierarchical pecking order of racism.  Hispanics racist against African Americans, African Americans against Asians, Asians agains both AA and hispanics depending on location. ALL against homosexuals.  I laugh because according to their fucked up logic, I should be racist to all of them..... 

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

Can't wait for the Trump Bible book on tape. 

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. Wow, that's powerful stuff and very true. I will strengthen you (look at our military, folks) and support you (with a big, beautiful Wall); I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. My very large and long fingered right hand. Or left hand. Also large and with long fingers."

• Like 2

The whole idea of assimilation is kind of absurd. The only thing to assimilate to is the communication method. Other than that, what do they need to assimilate to? Our laws? Our culture? Laws should be followed regardless and broken by natives more than immigrants. And our culture is built on decades of consuming cultures from around the world and making it "ours". All assimilation is, is a form of tribalism. Like when native Austinites complain about people Dallasing up our culture or too many Californians. 

Allow me to communicate with you, otherwise enjoy the opportunities America has to offer in your own way as long as you are not hurting another person by doing it. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, horn4life said:

PS- one of the most interesting obervations regarding racistm is how non-whites are themselves racist.  Sort of a weird hierarchical pecking order of racism.  Hispanics racist against African Americans, African Americans against Asians, Asians agains both AA and hispanics depending on location. ALL against homosexuals.  I laugh because according to their fucked up logic, I should be racist to all of them.....  

I'm pretty sure they would be racist to you as well. Minorities that are racist against other minority groups don't think of themselves as 2nd to whitey. They don't like whites either.

25 minutes ago, F250 said:

These are already being sold on Amazon.

41mCGEW56CL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Description
Product description

What is the Trump Bible? Just as President Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Holy Bible, so there appears to be a new version of the Bible that's in accord with the ideology of Donald Trump.

Thou art of the Deal your God.

In case anyone cares, the actual quote from Shultz last night:

“I have a long history of recognizing I’m not the smartest person in the room, that in order to make great decisions about complex problems I have to recruit and attract people who are smarter than me and more experienced, more skilled, and we’ve got to create an understanding that we need a creative debate in the room to make these kind of decisions,”

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

“I have a long history of recognizing I’m not the smartest person in the room, that in order to make great decisions about complex problems I have to recruit and attract people who are smarter than me and more experienced, more skilled, and we’ve got to create an understanding that we need a creative debate in the room to make these kind of decisions,”

Well, we got ourselves a win-win situation here!

Because once Trump is voted/impeached out of office, ol Jared Kushner will be available for Schutz to pick his brain!

God Bless America!

My son regularly plays soccer against largely Hispanic teams, many from South Texas.  When those kids are speaking among themselves, it's almost exclusively in Spanish.  On the field, and especially when they have one or more white kids playing, it's all English.  I have seen exactly zero indication that they aren't "assimilating".  They are certainly learning and speaking fluent English.  All of this bullshit about assimilation is just that -- bullshit.  It's fear-mongering.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Hey, Howie, we don't need another amateur in the White House. You want to venture into public service for the first time in your life? Run for Senator or Governor. We don't need another president who neither served in the military nor held public office of any kind. Just because you made a shitty coffee shop ubiquitous and highly profitable doesn't mean you've got what it takes to run the country. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My son regularly plays soccer against largely Hispanic teams, many from South Texas.  When those kids are speaking among themselves, it's almost exclusively in Spanish.  On the field, and especially when they have one or more white kids playing, it's all English.  I have seen exactly zero indication that they aren't "assimilating".  They are certainly learning and speaking fluent English.  All of this bullshit about assimilation is just that -- bullshit.  It's fear-mongering.

Both of the Afghan refugee kids we work with are big-time soccer players (the younger one is really exceptional).  It's really funny to us that, as he's been learning English, he's also picked up a fair amount of spanish from the kids he plays soccer with at school and the league.  He said that at first, they spoke spanish because he couldn't understand them, so they could talk about a play without him figuring it out.  So, he picked up on the language pretty quickly. Now he and his teammates jaw at each other in English and Spanish....neither of which is his first language. 

Assimilation requires two things: an immigrant willing to assimilate, and a society that welcomes him.  Most of the people who bitch the hardest about the first thing do their damnedest to prevent the second thing.  It's fucking absurd.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

So wait a minute here...  happyfunball wants to borrow some illegal immigrants (a busload if available) and rockytown has been on here repeatedly claiming how many are coming in to the country every day ("50 to 100 migrants a day at each crossing being apprehended " in Arizona alone!!)  yet somehow, because "the economy picked up", said busload is no longer available at AZ Home Depots, Lowe'ses, or Circle Ks?  So is the idea here that tons are coming in, but they are all getting jobs right as they get here?  This invasion is immediately gainfully employed?   About a year and a half ago, you reportedly could go to a number of stores near rockypants and find plenty of immigrants looking for day work, but now that the invasion is in full swing, none?  Where is this invasion going?   If they're getting jobs, then good on 'em, yeah?  Wouldn't that be a good thing?

I guess it is a good thing for the shortsighted...What happens when the economy goes to shit again?  That never happens, right?  I got nothing against people coming here to better themselves, just wish it was controlled....

Edited by Rockymtns

17 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I certainly appreciate a person that acknowledges their ignorance and has a willingness to rely on experts but the Presidency isn't the place for a neophyte to develop policy based on the opinions of others. That's how we ended up with the Bush doctrine

As a nation, we need to go back to electing experienced candidates with established policies so we know what the hell we are getting into before we elect someone.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

I certainly appreciate a person that acknowledges their ignorance and has a willingness to rely on experts but the Presidency isn't the place for a neophyte to develop policy based on the opinions of others. That's how we ended up with the Bush doctrine

As a nation, we need to go back to electing experienced candidates with established policies so we know what the hell we are getting into before we elect someone.

This.  And actually, it should be BOTH.  Because no matter how skilled or experienced an executive, he isn't going to know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING (which is kinda the scope of issues for the POTUS).  I don't expect any human being to have a comprehensive knowledge of the history and schools of thought on 1) monetary policy, 2) NATO, 3) Korea, including in the greater context of Asia and Asian trade, 4) Latin American politics, 5) trade agreements.........3,578) emergency powers in case of public health crisis, etc. etc. forever.

I DO expect him to assemble a team of experts in the field to be able to give him relevant information and counseling on all of those subject as may be needed.  And it shouldn't be his first rodeo making such big-picture executive decisions, where he is responsible to others (a board, shareholders, the voting public, etc.).

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

It is controlled. 

Controlled as in the leaks in the Titanic were controlled?   

I have to laugh...Look, I am no racist at all.  My best friend is a second generation Mexican American Citizen.. I love him and his entire family; including, his parents that came illegally.   Im about as different from them as day and night, but I would do anything for them and they would do anything for me....I have nothing but total love and respect for them like my own family..And, no they are not my only friends of a different race....I have Asian friends that I travel to Vegas with to gamble, they are some great people as well.

With that said, I still feel we need to fix our immigration system and we cant just keep passing the buck to the next generation because some politicians want votes or they want to keep the drug money flowing to their bank accounts, etc....

Just now, Rockymtns said:

I have to laugh...Look, I am no racist at all.  My best friend is a second generation Mexican American Citizen.. I love him and his entire family; including, his parents that came illegally.   Im about as different from them as day and night, but I would do anything for them and they would do anything for me....I have nothing but total love and respect for them like my own family..And, no they are not my only friends of a different race....I have Asian friends that I travel to Vegas with to gamble, they are some great people as well.

With that said, I still feel we need to fix our immigration system and we cant just keep passing the buck to the next generation because some politicians want votes or they want to keep the drug money flowing to their bank accounts, etc....

You do know that illegal immigration is at historic lows, correct? That southern border crossings don't account for the majority of illegal immigration? The biggest problem we face is processing folks once they are caught or present themselves to border patrol.

3 minutes ago, Rockymtns said:

Most people want to fix it.  My opinion is that it is simply too complicated to be done in front of tv cameras.  It is far too tough of an issue to be gauging what public opinion is on it at any one time because they public is only capable of understanding 1% of the issue.

I would expect any qualified leader, no matter the extent of government experience, to develop policy based on input from those with more specialized knowledge, etc.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You do know that illegal immigration is at historic lows, correct? That southern border crossings don't account for the majority of illegal immigration? The biggest problem we face is processing folks once they are caught or present themselves to border patrol.

Yes, I know all this.  They make headway every few years and everyone is cheering at the parade.  The next leadership comes, congress changes and we are back to square one.  I've lived near the border most of my adult life.  It is just like the economy, up and down.  

What I'm talking about is a permanent solution with different laws is what is needed.  Im not a nutcase that believes a better Wall or barrier is a permanent fix all solution, but I do believe it could be one part of the solution...

12 minutes ago, scottsins said:

“Cups of coffee” are less than $2.50. I point this out because it’s something I’m used to my FIL wailing about all the time.

Coffee used to be dirt cheap. When I was sixteen and working at McDonald's in the early 80's a small cup of coffee cost 35 cents. And refills were free. It seems like I've seen lots of old movies and tv shows where it was a nickel or a dime a cup. I want to say it was in the 90's that the price of coffee skyrocketed. 

I don't mind paying more for good quality coffee. Starbucks isn't getting rich selling good quality coffee. They're getting rich marketing a brand, and selling mediocre quality coffee with a lot of added fats and sweeteners. 

• Like 1

Some assimilate and some don’t. My hometown is around 50% Hispanic and there are areas where English is not spoken. It’s predictably very poor with no chance of attaining a better life. It was actually pretty stunning at my high school graduation when they rattled off all of these kids names from the ESL classes that we had never even seen before. I felt bad for them because I knew they were screwed. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He said that at first, they spoke spanish because he couldn't understand them, so they could talk about a play without him figuring it out.  So, he picked up on the language pretty quickly. Now he and his teammates jaw at each other in English and Spanish....neither of which is his first language.

i wanna say the kid's pretty sharp to pick that up so fast, but a truly sharp kid wouldn't let them know he knew.  they'd learn with their collective face in the dirt.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Been there done that.  Spanish in this case provides a competitive advantage for the South Texas team.  They would be STUPID not to take this advantage from a communication standpoint.  In South Texas nearly all the white kids speak at least some Spanish, so the language does not give nearly as much of a competitive advantage in their home community.  Because in a way the local "white" kids have learned that learning Spanish is what they need to some degree to assimilate to to their geographic location near the border.  You can do a lot more business in South Texas if you speak Spanish than if you are an English speaker only, as because of the large percentage of Spanish speakers it puts you at a competitive disavanatage  

I also agree with the earlier take regarding English speaking as what many consider assimilation.   But as I pointed out along the border you need Spanish and English, regardless of the fact you live in the US.  There is simply too much trade and commerce unavailable if you only speak English.  Conversely if you do not speak English in an area where it is nearly the only language spoken you will be at a competitive disavantage.  IF you are at a competitive disadvantage, you are a lot more likely to be disgruntled.  This is true if you are a foriegner who does not speak english, or a white person that didn't finish high school.  IF you are a non-educated, non English speaker then you are at a severe disadvantage.To me "assimilation" is nothing more than adjusting to the norms of the area you are living in. It doesn't mean abandoning your culture, nor your native language, nor customs.  Indeed that is what makes our country so great, embracing our differences! Especially on the dining menu!!!! Assimilation is a fancy word for adapting and adusting (primairly through language) to your geographic location. 

• Like 1