Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

Given the continual removal of anyone who isn't a sycophant, at what point do people believe it will be an existential threat to democracy? Are we at 11:50 on the American democracy dooms day clock? 

Edited by tucker

6 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
Bumped 

Are you so self important that you think that nothing has officially been said in the Trump thread until it's been said by Hugo?

Or that it was the last post on the last page so could easily have been missed. Thats what I got from it anyways. 

14 minutes ago, tucker said:

Given the continual removal of anyone who isn't a sycophant, at what point do people believe it will be an existential threat to democracy? Are we at 11:50 on the American democracy dooms day clock? 

We're at 12:01 a.m.  We just haven't comprehended it  yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Being new to following politics this closely has there ever been so much turnover in another administration especially one only half way through its first term?

1 hour ago, retread said:

If he can declare a fake nat'l emergency for the Southern border, what other emergency declarations can he make with no consequences? There is no bottom.

And it's foolish to think that, since he got away with it once, he won't do it again. 

• Like 1

If he can declare a fake nat'l emergency for the Southern border, what other emergency declarations can he make with no consequences? There is no bottom.

You ever wonder what the road to restricting the rights of US citizens with foreign-sounding names looks like? Look down, you’re on it. This is what it looks like.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My car radio was still on 590 AM from the weekend and I was treated to Rush Limbaugh waxing poetic on the alleged lunacy of kids in cages.  They're detention centers!  They get food, a safe place to sleep, and an education!  It's established law and the libs are liars!

Well, Rush . . . that established law wasn't enforced by Obama, or even W, so suck a fat one you fucking drug-addled piece of shit.

You know where else you can get a place that’s supposed to be ‘safe,  a place you can sleep, and get an education’?

All these privately run prisons where you lock up minorities by the thousands for nonviolent drug crimes, asshole.  

Nielson is working overtime on teh narrative.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/politics/trump-family-separation-el-paso-kirstjen-nielsen/index.html

Trump wanted to shut the El Paso port on 24 hour notice, but Nielson reminded him that Abbott was a Trump supporter.  Can't do that to your sycophants!

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump has been pushing to reinstate broader family separation policies and sought to close the US-Mexico border at El Paso, Texas, as his conflict with Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen reached a boiling point.

Two Thursdays ago, in a meeting at the Oval Office with top officials -- including Nielsen, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, top aides Jared Kushner, Mercedes Schlapp and Dan Scavino, White House counsel Pat Cipollone and more -- the President, according to one attendee, was "ranting and raving, saying border security was his issue."
Senior administration officials say that Trump then ordered Nielsen and Pompeo to shut down the port of El Paso the next day, Friday, March 22, at noon. The plan was that in subsequent days the Trump administration would shut down other ports.
Nielsen told Trump that would be a bad and even dangerous idea, and that the governor of Texas, Republican Greg Abbott, has been very supportive of the President.

Also, we got something out of Abbott's spinelessness, it seems.

10 minutes ago, Skyline said:

The office politics inside the Trump admin is really amazing. I never get tired of these kinds of stories. 

It’s insanely irresponsible and dangerous for a White House to operate this way.  It’s nothing new but this is the type of behavior that creates an environment for easy miscalculations.  It could be worse because we’re just dealing with the southern border but this is how you sleepwalk into a disaster or a war.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

ISIS Adds Few Violent White Supremacists In Bid To Get U.S. To Rescind Terrorist Designation

Spoiler

dv9niwzshwvi3nwfkkbs.jpg

IDLIB, SYRIA—Explaining that they hoped the personnel changes would enable the organization to avoid the State Department’s scrutiny, ISIS leaders announced Monday that they had added a few violent white supremacists to the group in a bid to get the U.S. to rescind its designation of ISIS as terrorists. “Being branded a terrorist organization has really made it difficult for ISIS to operate, so we’re pleased to introduce several members of racist white militia groups considered to be safe, respectable, and law-abiding in the eyes of the U.S. government,” said ISIS spokesman Abu Hassan al-Muhajir in a video released by the organization, adding that he would go so far as to label the white supremacists “the new face of ISIS.” “We know we have a checkered past as far as America is concerned, but we hope bringing in members of white hate groups with documented histories of death threats and violence will prompt the State Department to view us in a new light. We expect this to be a fruitful collaboration, as we actually have a lot in common, and it turns out they have many more guns than we do. We anticipate the U.S. will extend to us the same understanding and support they offer to their own sectarian racial supremacists.” At press time, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that ISIS was no longer officially considered a terrorist organization based on their members’ newfound strong support for President Trump.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s insanely irresponsible and dangerous for a White House to operate this way.  It’s nothing new but this is the type of behavior that creates an environment for easy miscalculations.  It could be worse because we’re just dealing with the southern border but this is how you sleepwalk into a disaster or a war.

We've already walked into disasters by putting Miller in charge. The office politics could be holding some back from truly heinous shit. 

Whoever said it yesterday is right though. Nielsen will be replaced with someone worse and likely a Miller stooge. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You ever wonder what the road to restricting the rights of US citizens with foreign-sounding names looks like? Look down, you’re on it. This is what it looks like.

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It could be worse because we’re just dealing with the southern border but this is how you sleepwalk into a disaster or a war.

We're heading full steam into a time of major chaos. Every president has that big emergency that he has to confront. This president wants to create that emergency himself, or with a little help from his friends. Buckle up.

7 minutes ago, retread said:

We're heading full steam into a time of major chaos. Every president has that big emergency that he has to confront. This president wants to create that emergency himself, or with a little help from his friends. Buckle up.

Yeah, I don’t want to minimize what’s going on at the border, it’s a catastrophe in the making. Trump’s making.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

d236abed86375881ee841f93da611771af94f380

And just remember, guys.  This is the United States of America.  The land of the Constitution, the flag, and freedom.  We are the shining city on the hill.  The beacon of democracy and freedom that the whole world looks to.

So, the United States of America would NEVER, in a fit of irrational fear of a particular people, use "emergency action" to toss the most basic of Constitutional protections aside to embark on a wholesale-denial of rights of US citizens who happened to be members of that particular group.  That would never, ever, ever happen in this country, and to even HINT at the possibility is irrational alarmism.

forced-internment-japanese-americans.jpg

sub-buzz-27398-1479756984-7.jpg?downsize

Nope.  That would never happen.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, I don’t want to minimize what’s going on at the border, it’s a catastrophe in the making. Trump’s making.

Agree. I mean, apprehensions are at a low point (chart posted yesterday). I don't doubt that people are coming across the border, but it's not a problem that we can't solve. Catch and release and the other programs yielded high percentages of immigrants who returned for their court hearings.

We don't know how to govern ourselves or to solve problems anymore. You could look at all of these asylum seekers as assets for the future of our country, but no. The Rs only know how fear monger about the browns destroying our way of life.

I do think that Cheeto sees the Southern border as a potential way to escalate the chaos.

Edited by retread

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

d236abed86375881ee841f93da611771af94f380

And just remember, guys.  This is the United States of America.  The land of the Constitution, the flag, and freedom.  We are the shining city on the hill.  The beacon of democracy and freedom that the whole world looks to.

So, the United States of America would NEVER, in a fit of irrational fear of a particular people, toss the most basic of Constitutional protections aside to embark on a wholesale-denial of rights of US citizens who happened to be members of that particular group.  That would never, ever, ever happen in this country, and to even HINT at the possibility is irrational alarmism.

forced-internment-japanese-americans.jpg

sub-buzz-27398-1479756984-7.jpg?downsize

Nope.  That would never happen.

Holy shit, this is golden. Pearl Harbor = irrational fear. I love this site. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Any fear that leads to imprisonment of US citizens because of their ethnicity = irrational fear.

I'm comfortable with that conclusion.  You seem to dispute it.  I am quite, quite happy with the line drawn between us.  You are welcome to gaze longingly at your copy of Korematsu as you stroke yourself tonight.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, seven said:

It's not every day someone defends Japanese internment, even in the trump era. 

This is how you troll. 

They all do.  Most won't say it in public....but they all believe in it.  We're still the same amygdala-governed fools that we were in 1941.  We'd gleefully do the same today.

NATIONAL EMERGENCY!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, seven said:

It's not every day someone defends Japanese internment, even in the trump era. 

This is how you troll. 

Where in the hell am I defending internment camps? My issue was stating that fear of Imperial Japan was irrational, that’s just silly. I will admit to getting some minor pleasure when pointing out Brisket’s hysteria, though. 

• Fuck You 6

24 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

We should have rounded up the few million muslims in this country and detained them after 9/11, right?  It's a serious question.  I'm positive a very high percentage of Trump voters would be 100% on board.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Where in the hell am I defending internment camps? My issue was stating that fear of Imperial Japan was irrational, that’s just silly. I will admit to getting some minor pleasure when pointing out Brisket’s hysteria, though. 

Dammit, I apologize to others for getting sucked in:

1) did Japan not have known imperial tendencies?

2) was it right to inter Japanese-Americans in response to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor?

Edited by jimmyjazz

5 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You just did it again lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We should have rounded up the few million muslims in this country and detained them after 9/11, right?  It's a serious question.  I'm positive a very high percentage of Trump voters would be 100% on board.  

No, it was counterproductive then and would be now as well. But to pretend that fearing terrorism post 9/11 is somehow irrational, well, that’s absurd. 

• Fuck You 3

Just now, Rimbo said:

WHAT?!?!?!

That's... WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DO WE HAVE WORKING HERE?!?@#?@!!

In fairness, how are you supposed to determine if a thumb drive has malware on it? 

Hopefully he was using an unconnected throw away computer with no wifi... but who am i kidding, it was probably hard wired into the SS mainframe.