Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I just believe the Johnny Sack's and Swam's of the world are outweighed by people who haven't suffered serious brain trauma. 

wrong.gif

more than 50% of Americans support trump.  they need to be completely written off, and they will never, ever offer anything positive whatsoever to American society, or the planet for that matter.  there is another sizeable percentage that knows that it is not smart to openly and publicly admit to supporting a traitor and a political party that is an ongoing criminal enterprise that seeks to destroy the country, so they lie about it and/or hedge with the "oh i dislike him personally and wish he'd tone down the twitter" but will vote for trump and each and every one of his enablers in government, in a heartbeat.

i'm afraid that we are past the point of no return, and there is probably no coming back from it.

• Like 2

"The Department of Justice has adopted a narrow interpretation of a law meant to bar foreign interests from corrupting federal officials, giving Saudi Arabia, China and other countries leeway to curry favor with Donald Trump via deals with his hotels, condos, trademarks and golf courses, legal and national security experts say."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/09/dojs-new-stance-on-foreign-payments-or-gifts-to-trump-blurs-lines-experts?CMP=share_btn_tw

Clark’s article notes that in more than 50 legal opinions over some 150 years justice department lawyers have interpreted the clause in a way that barred any foreign payments or gifts except for ones Congress approved. But filings by the department since June 2017 reveal a new interpretation that “… would permit the president – and all federal officials – to accept unlimited amounts of money from foreign governments, as long as the money comes through commercial transactions with an entity owned by the federal official,” the professor writes.

The justice department stance now closely parallels arguments made in a January 2017 position paper by Trump Organization lawyer Sheri Dillon and several of her law partners. On 11 January 2017, just days before he was sworn in, Dillon said Trump isn’t accepting any payments in his “official capacity” as president, as the income is only related to his private business. “Paying for a hotel room is not a gift or a present, and it has nothing to do with an office,” Dillon said.

1 hour ago, retread said:

"The Department of Justice has adopted a narrow interpretation of a law meant to bar foreign interests from corrupting federal officials, giving Saudi Arabia, China and other countries leeway to curry favor with Donald Trump via deals with his hotels, condos, trademarks and golf courses, legal and national security experts say."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/09/dojs-new-stance-on-foreign-payments-or-gifts-to-trump-blurs-lines-experts?CMP=share_btn_tw

Only stupid people with no common sense would agree with this take.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Meaning Rick Perry could open a lemonade stand and rake in an unlimited amount of foreign cash?

Yes.  The incredible thing is that is EXACTLY what it means.

Remember how outraged folks were about the "Clinton Foundation" receiving donations from foreign officials, and that = "they gave money to Hillary!", even though the law bars distributions from a foundation to a private person?

Now, all I have to do is open up President Brisketexan's Corruptatorium and T-shirt Shop, LLC, and my shop can sell my "I tried to bribe President Brisketexan, and all I got was exactly what I wanted AND this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt to a Saudi government official for $5 million (it's a really nice t-shirt -- egyptian cotton, preshrunk -- I deal in top quality merchandise).  After paying overhead etc., my monthly distribution of proceeds -you know, just like any other business owner gets - is $4.99 million (I'm a GREAT businessman -- the best, really).  And it's all 100% legal.

Bottom line, they just legalized the laundering of foreign government payments to influence US government officials.

This is fine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Bottom line, they just legalized the laundering of foreign government payments to influence US government officials.

This is really only true in the short term. What was written was a DOJ opinion, which has force of law until challenged in court. Which Maryland is doing atm in federal court. Barr's letter will definitely line trumps pockets in the next few months to a year, but it's not gonna stand up to judicial review

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is really only true in the short term. What was written was a DOJ opinion, which has force of law until challenged in court. Which Maryland is doing atm in federal court. Barr's letter will definitely line trumps pockets in the next few months to a year, but it's not gonna stand up to judicial review

We hope.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-surprising-push-to-rebrand-trumps-very-fine-people-remarks?ref=home

Nearly two years after Donald Trump said there were “very fine people on both sides” at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally, his supporters are on a new push to rebrand Trump’s gaffe as innocuous remarks.

That movement broke into public view at Tuesday’s House Judiciary Committee hearing on white nationalism. Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) asked conservative witness Morton Klein, the head of the Zionists of America, to shoot down the notion that Trump had said there were “very fine people on both sides.”

“What are your thoughts about President Trump’s remarks regarding the Charlottesville demonstration, where he’s quoted as saying ‘you also had some very fine people on both sides?’” Gohmert said.

“The media has completely distorted the truth of that episode,” Klein replied.  

This is a surprising move, given that there are videos and transcripts of Trump original remarks. But Trump supporters, led by Dilbert creator Scott Adams, have seized on the idea that it’s unfair for the media to say Trump said there were “very fine people on both sides” when referring to the white supremacists.

Spoiler

Adams, who’s rebranded himself as a pro-Trump “persuasion expert,” has focused on remarks Trump made later in the press conference about Confederate statues. They also cite a comment from Trump—which comes several lines after the original “very fine people” statement, and after a series of questions from reporters—in which he said the neo-Nazis and their allies should be “condemned totally.”

For Adams and his followers, Trump wasn’t saying they were “very fine people” amid the Unite the Right ralliers, he was specifically talking about people who were trying to protect Confederate statues and weren’t white nationalists or neo-Nazis. The idea that it was, Adams has written, was “the best persuasion play of the year.”

There are plenty of holes in Adams’s theory. For one thing, he ignores that Trump claimed in the same press conference people in the tiki torch march the night before Unite the Right were “protesting very quietly.”

This idea has rapidly gained traction on the right since the start of the year, appearing in Breitbart, Real Clear Politics, and now, a congressional hearing. Adams’s efforts appear to be paying off — the “debunkers” cheered this week as an article disputing the “both sides” quote rose in the Google search results.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-surprising-push-to-rebrand-trumps-very-fine-people-remarks?ref=home

Reveal hidden contents

Adams, who’s rebranded himself as a pro-Trump “persuasion expert,” has focused on remarks Trump made later in the press conference about Confederate statues. They also cite a comment from Trump—which comes several lines after the original “very fine people” statement, and after a series of questions from reporters—in which he said the neo-Nazis and their allies should be “condemned totally.”

For Adams and his followers, Trump wasn’t saying they were “very fine people” amid the Unite the Right ralliers, he was specifically talking about people who were trying to protect Confederate statues and weren’t white nationalists or neo-Nazis. The idea that it was, Adams has written, was “the best persuasion play of the year.”

There are plenty of holes in Adams’s theory. For one thing, he ignores that Trump claimed in the same press conference people in the tiki torch march the night before Unite the Right were “protesting very quietly.”

This idea has rapidly gained traction on the right since the start of the year, appearing in Breitbart, Real Clear Politics, and now, a congressional hearing. Adams’s efforts appear to be paying off — the “debunkers” cheered this week as an article disputing the “both sides” quote rose in the Google search results.

Interesting.  Unprompted, ChickenSandwich brought up this very topic in the Media Bias thread earlier this week.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:32 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

So much this. We still have 90% of this board that trumpet the “Trump calls Nazis good people” NC speech, which  is a flat out lie.

It takes 30 seconds to watch the clip or read the transcript. THEY DONT WANT TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES. 

Trump talks and talks wildly (and insanely) so it's nearly impossible to pin him down on specifics but the gist of what he was saying was obvious. 

He came of like a surrogate for the Klansmen for he bloviated for their side passionately and against them only in a perfunctory manner. A weak condemnation mixed with a startlingly robust defense of the right wing Marchers and protestors. Doing such a thing intimated where his alliance clearly rested, it rested with his obviously white supremacist base.

This has been followed up by slashing Investigations of white nationalism, denying its prolific rise, ignoring and never condemning Steph King, calling congressman Omar disgraceful etc etc etc.

His bias of one side vs the other is undeniable.

• Like 1

What scares me is I saw all of this same stuff when Bush was running for a second term. Everyone looked at polls that stated his unpopularity. How he couldn’t get re-elected. He did by the slimmest of margins. And when he finally left his popularity was the lowest in history. And we were in the middle of the worst depression since the depression. 

9 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

What scares me is I saw all of this same stuff when Bush was running for a second term. Everyone looked at polls that stated his unpopularity. How he couldn’t get re-elected. He did by the slimmest of margins. And when he finally left his popularity was the lowest in history. And we were in the middle of the worst depression since the depression. 

He turned out his voting base by fear mongering about gay marriage. Plus he waited until 2003 to start the Iraq War so it hadn't gone to shit yet by the time the election rolled around. 

32 minutes ago, Harvard Man said:

Trump talks and talks wildly (and insanely) so it's nearly impossible to pin him down on specifics but the gist of what he was saying was obvious. 

He came of like a surrogate for the Klansmen for he bloviated for their side passionately and against them only in a perfunctory manner. A weak condemnation mixed with a startlingly robust defense of the right wing Marchers and protestors. Doing such a thing intimated where his alliance clearly rested, it rested with his obviously white supremacist base.

This has been followed up by slashing Investigations of white nationalism, denying its prolific rise, ignoring and never condemning Steph King, calling congressman Omar disgraceful etc etc etc.

His bias of one side vs the other is undeniable.

This is correct.  He is a promoter in his career.  He is a promoter now.  Nothing he says is about a specific fact.  It is to promote a positive or negative image on something he wants to support or oppose.  That's it.  He says there are fine people on the Nazi side, because he wants to promote the Nazi side.  No different than in his real estate days he'd point out the luxurious (whatever) in his building and no doubt mention the shitty (other thing) in his competitor's building.  Getting hung up on the truth or falsity of any of the particulars misses the point entirely.

Also, you've had 70 F-level posts and this good one.  Weird.  https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606

Trump made the fine people remark after delaying any condemnation of the violence. There's your context. He choked out a phony sympathy for the victims then made his defense of the NAZIS in this exchange with reporters.

Dilbert is a lying sack of shit.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We all heard what Trump said. So did the Nazis and Klansmen and they loved it. This gaslighting is a waste of time. 

walking back specific comments and trying to establish "what he actually said/meant" in the broader context might mean something if he hadn't said/done 500 other equally shitty things since then.  this wasn't some isolated gaffe.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

walking back specific comments and trying to establish "what he actually said/meant" in the broader context might mean something if he hadn't said/done 500 other equally shitty things since then.  this wasn't some isolated gaffe.

And the only people pushing the message are the ones who were already perfectly fine with his consistently racist rhetoric. Decent people aren't going to be swayed. 

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Wait, wait, wait. Did he say that these immigrants are 1/7th a person? "We had 7 (deaths) in the last short period of time, thats 1 person!"

29 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Funny how the new explanation for what Trump "meant" with his Charlottesville statement was never offered by Trump himself and has taken a year and a half to develop.   

Yeah, it's like it's complete horseshit that some racist grifter came up with to try and justify some stupid, hateful thing the stupid, racist, piece of shit president said.  Who could ever imagine such a thing would happen?

• Like 1

“This is a vast state, it’s a vast area. You look at it, the state’s tremendous,” said Trump, who seemed genuinely stunned that Texas occupied a large land area. “I come from New York. You have Fifth Avenue and that connects you to Park Avenue, its not too far away, but this is hundreds of miles between places.”

i mean, the guy's got good hooks.

"I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It's not my thing and I know there is something having to do with Julian Assange," he said. "I've been seeing what's happened with Assange, and that will be a determination. I would imagine mostly by the attorney general, who is doing an excellent job. So he'll be making a determination. I know nothing really about him. That's not my deal in life."

Trump's quote when asked about Assange. Let me translate: I know everything about WikiLeaks and was totally involved with them working with Russia to get dirt on Hillary. 

3 hours ago, Brandywine said:

As long as Biden doesn't go windsurfing I think we'll be OK.