Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Given the verifiable fact women on average live 6 to 8 years longer than men, any max age requirement should not apply equally to women. 

Who cares if women live longer than men on average?  It's about declining mental faculties and passing the torch to the next generation.

I'm all for Warren or Bernie, but I'd be lying if I said their age wasn't a concern.

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Who cares if women live longer than men on average?  It's about declining mental faculties and passing the torch to the next generation.

I'm all for Warren or Bernie, but I'd be lying if I said their age wasn't a concern.

The age restriction is dumb.  I even think the 35 year old limit is silly.  If a candidate isn’t fit for the office the voters should have the opportunity to make that assessment instead of some arbitrary line of demarcation.  

Democracy can work sometimes. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

You are an idiot.
I promise you most of the people that protested in the 60's did not vote for Trump.

No kidding. It’s like some people watched a Simpson’s episode and base their historical views on caricatures of society.

Like Millennials. The ones the media portrays have money, man-buns, take selfies in Ibiza, live in million dollar condos. In reality, they grew up poor, are underemployed, are ethnically and culturally diverse. They barely travel or have passports. They are just now getting money, but few have savings.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The age restriction is dumb.  I even think the 35 year old limit is silly.  If a candidate isn’t fit for the office the voters should have the opportunity to make that assessment instead of some arbitrary line of demarcation.  

Democracy can work sometimes. 

You know who the President is, right?

I'm thinking the people aren't smart enough to make that determination.  Might be better to help them out a bit.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

46.1 percent of the votes with 55.7 percent of eligible voters turning out = 25.67 percent of eligible voters supporting him. His approval rating hovers around 40 percent.

He never has and never will even sniff the support of half the country. Don't legitimize him and his followers by thinking they're half the country. They're a clear minority no matter how you slice it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Which proves just how stupid the United States Constitution is when it comes to selecting the president.

Half the country screams about how 29 YO AOC is just a dumb young bartender and that she has no life experience, yet they would vote for Jacob Wohl (age 21) for POTUS in a heartbeat.

I'm fine with the 35 YO bar for President.  It should be higher.  I wouldn't have a problem with a 70 YO cutoff, either.  You have to project out 8 years, and just as some 14 YOs are probably fine to drive, we don't (in general) let them.  Some 78 YO might be sharp as a tack, but Trump has already descended below "functional moron" by 73.

I don't trust the voters.  At all.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm fine with the 35 YO bar for President.  It should be higher.  I wouldn't have a problem with a 70 YO cutoff, either.  You have to project out 8 years, and just as some 14 YOs are probably fine to drive, we don't (in general) let them.  Some 78 YO might be sharp as a tack, but Trump has already descended below "functional moron" by 73.

An upper threshold makes a lot more sense in the 21st century than it did in the 18th. We've nearly doubled life expectancy during that time frame, unmasking age related cognitive decline. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You know who the President is, right?

I'm thinking the people aren't smart enough to make that determination.  Might be better to help them out a bit.

Our president was undemocratically elected.  The electoral college is a good example of an arbitrary structure subverting the will of the people (i.e. not democracy). 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which proves just how stupid the United States Constitution is when it comes to selecting the president.

Actually, given the way judges are picked, it gives the minority disproportionate power in everything but the House. I don't think the founders intended for an overbearing federal gov't where a tyrannical minority was possible.  Their idea was to prevent majority tyrants and allow minority voices to be heard. They didn't intend to completely squash the voice of the majority. The solution is to flip the powers of the House and Senate, and make the people's House stronger. It should have actually been reformed following the Civil War when the idea that we are a collection of otherwise independent states was fully killed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UncleCharlie said:

People over 65 should not be allowed to run for or hold public office.

GTFO.

They shouldn't be allowed to vote for many of the same reasons we don't allow those under 18 to vote. Also, they have limited investment in the future. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The American experiment is founded on the idea of citizens deciding their own leaders. Any restriction that gets in the way of that I consider borderline un-American.

Then why shouldn't the citizens be able to define limits and standards to the office of the Presidency?  I assume you feel the same way about the natural born citizen and residency requirements?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Then why shouldn't the citizens be able to define limits and standards to the office of the Presidency?  I assume you feel the same way about the natural born citizen and residency requirements?

Should American citizens be able to decide on removing voting and candidate rights due to ethnicity or gender?   Seems like we’ve been down this road before and the people decide for a more egalitarian democracy/society.

Say you set an age restriction but then there’s some crazy medical breakthrough that allows people to live for another 100 years in good physical and mental health. What then?  

Setting an age restriction isn’t a good idea because you are disenfranchising citizens.  

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The American experiment is founded on the idea of citizens deciding their own leaders. Any restriction that gets in the way of that I consider borderline un-American.

Then:

Slavery

3/5 rule

Senators appointed by state legislatures

Poll taxes

Property ownership requirements to vote

Sex dependent suffrage 

And now:

Corporations are people, too

Money = speech 

Unlimited donations / dark money

Gerrymandering

We talked a big game and fell short on multiple occasions.

8 minutes ago, threesheets said:

They're out there.  My best friend's mom was a hippie her whole life and is now a full blown Trumper at age 60.

This is my best friend's mom.  Love her to death.  She half raised me.  Grew up hearing about her doing all sorts of crazy shit during the 60s.  She's spent the last few years as a municipal judge.  Now she's full blown crazy Trumper.  It's disheartening to say the least. 

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Then:

Slavery

3/5 rule

Senators appointed by state legislatures

Poll taxes

Property ownership requirements to vote

Sex dependent suffrage 

And now:

Corporations are people, too

Money = speech 

Unlimited donations / dark money

Gerrymandering

We talked a big game and fell short on multiple occasions.

An advertisement for a progressive agenda right here. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Should American citizens be able to decide on removing voting and candidate rights due to ethnicity or gender?   Seems like we’ve been down this road before and the people decide for a more egalitarian democracy/society.

Say you set an age restriction but then there’s some crazy medical breakthrough that allows people to live for another 100 years in good physical and mental health. What then?  

You didn't answer my question.

I'll answer yours:  medical breakthroughs could reasonably trigger changes in standards for the office.

Let’s also remember that the 35 y. Old presidential cut off was put into place when the average life expectancy was ..... ~36 years old.

So in a sense, have 76 year olds as presidents is what the founders desired?

Just because we were kicking the bucket at 36 doesn’t mean dementia was setting in then

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You didn't answer my question.

I'll answer yours:  medical breakthroughs could reasonably trigger changes in standards for the office.

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Then why shouldn't the citizens be able to define limits and standards to the office of the Presidency?

The people can elect lawmakers to change the rules. It’s comes with the “republic” package.  It has benefits and consequences.  The people can also elect lawmakers to undo those rules.  So in a sense, citizens do and should be able to set restrictions. 

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I assume you feel the same way about the natural born citizen and residency requirements?

To be honest I’m not sure how I feel about these restrictions.  The founders intent made sense at the time but as we’ve become a more integrated and connected society globally, I don’t know how beneficial these limitations are.  However, I can’t come up with a good enough justification to disregard them either.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

They're out there.  My best friend's mom was a hippie her whole life and is now a full blown Trumper at age 60.

Likewise.  My mom went to Woodstock...with photos to prove it...and voted for Trump.  I'm not sure of her current stance because we don't talk about it, but I know she watches Fox all day, so I'm pretty sure which way the wind blows in that house.

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Likewise.  My mom went to Woodstock...with photos to prove it...and voted for Trump.  I'm not sure of her current stance because we don't talk about it, but I know she watches Fox all day, so I'm pretty sure which way the wind blows in that house.

If you look at the overlap of much of that movement (not all of it, but much of it), it was based on selfishness and self-indulgence.  Free love and let's do all the drugs weren't exactly movements meant to better other people -- they were meant to satisfy individual wants and desires.  And the impact on anyone else be damned.   

So, "I deserve everything that I want, nobody better threaten that, and to hell with everyone else."  That might as well be the Trumpism motto, and it overlaps perfectly with a sizable percentage of the Woodstock generation.

Selfishness and narcissism are the bedrock values of generation Trump.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Let’s also remember that the 35 y. Old presidential cut off was put into place when the average life expectancy was ..... ~36 years old.

So in a sense, have 76 year olds as presidents is what the founders desired?

This is a red herring argument. 

The actual life expectancy of people who made it out of childhood wasn't much different than it is today.  The reason the "average" life expectancy was so low was because of the high levels of infant mortality.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, not really.  The Constitution established a system that was intended to limit direct democracy through a series of "safe-guards". The electoral college, Senate appointments, the Judiciary.  The House was the primary function where the general citizenry played a direct role.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, not really.  The Constitution established a system that was intended to limit direct democracy through a series of "safe-guards". The electoral college, Senate appointments, the Judiciary.  The House was the primary function where the general citizenry played a direct role.  

“We the people” and “self government” was just a troll.  Curious! 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Going back to the "Christian" childrens book....is there an echo in here?

51wCQws8tFL.jpg

History's echo, echo, echo.

Apparently I am ignorant of the history of pot smoking jewish mushrooms because I have no idea what this is trying to say 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Which would have made her 9 years old in 1968.  Not many 9 year olds were out protesting and hippying.

Guess you busted me.  

I actually don't know how old she is.  I do know she's older than 60 now that I think about it, because my buddy is 44 and I know she wasn't a teen mom.  She's in her late 60s.

Maybe I should have put "hippie" in quotations.  Point is, she was still acting like one when we were in high school.  And now she's quite the opposite.