Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

29 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but can someone give a run down of Presidential pardon powers.  I  realize there is uncertainty, but are there any established rules?  I  fully expect Trump to push this to the limit especially as his term winds down, so it would be interesting to hear about the accepted parameters.    Specifically:

1.  I believe a president can issue a pardon before a charge has been filed.  If so, can he pardon himself and his entire cabinet for "any future potential charges" related to his presidency?

2.  Can a president issue a blanket pardon for future charges?  For instance to himself and entire family for any future crimes?

3.  If so, can a president issue a blanket future pardon to an entire group or population?  Wouldn't this mean a President can essentially over ride congressional law making by making a law void?  Ex:  "I hereby pardon all current and future citizens charged with possession, use or distribution of marijuana"

The problem with the pardon questions is many scenarios haven’t been tested because the founders didn’t expect a renegade president like Trump with a complicit Congress.  

In other words, Trump has near unlimited power with the pardons until they’re challenged in the courts. 

Could Trump issue pardons under seal without anyone knowing about it? 

That’s the one I’d like to know but I fear the answer. 

I don’t think Trump could pardon someone for future crimes. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The problem with the pardon questions is many of these scenarios haven’t been tested because the founders didn’t expect a renegade president like Trump with a complicit Congress.  

In other words, Trump has near unlimited power with the pardons until they’re challenged in the courts. 

Could Trump issue pardons under seal without anyone knowing about it? 

That’s the one I’d like to know but I fear the answer. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lincoln issue pretty much a blanket pardon to pretty much all of the rebels at the end of the Civil War except for the top brass? 

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Our president is now helping a brutal fascist regime succeed in becoming more fascist and likely brutal.

Before someone tells me North Korea isn’t fascist, please tell what fascist boxes they don’t check. 

Man, what a far cry from

220px-Elton_John_-_Rocket_Man.jpg

I like how Kim got the second Summit set up in Hanoi.  

Good way to fuck with private bone spurs. 

I hate the North Korean government but god damn they are schooling the United States right now.

All because our president is a fucking moron.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TornACL said:

That's a great accusation / confession tweet. 

Why would he have illegitimate victories on the brain? Hmm. 

Here we have the POTUS planting seeds that the Democrats cant legitimately win in 2020.  So what happens when it becomes clear they may win?  Call off election?  If the do win? Void the results?  This is how you start down a very scary path (and yes I realize we are way past that point).

Edited by TexEx15

I like how Kim got the second Summit set up in Hanoi.  
Good way to fuck with private bone spurs. 
I hate the North Korean government but god damn they are schooling the United States right now.
All because our president is a fucking moron.

He never achieved the rank of private.

Cadet.

In her important history, Corruption in America, Zephyr Teachout, a legal scholar and liberal activist, argues that during the country’s first 200 years, courts maintained the Founders’ vigilance against corruption. For a good chunk of American history, a number of states criminalized lobbying in many forms, out of a sense that a loosening of standards would trigger a race to the bottom. That near-phobia now looks quaint, and also prescient. The political culture, the legal culture, the banking culture—so much of the culture of the self-congratulatory meritocratic elite—have long since abandoned such prudish ways.

The defining document of our era is the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision in 2010. The ruling didn’t just legalize anonymous expenditures on political campaigns. It redefined our very idea of what constitutes corruption, limiting it to its most blatant forms: the bribe and the explicit quid pro quo. Justice Anthony Kennedy’s majority opinion crystallized an ever more prevalent ethos of indifference—the collective shrug in response to tax avoidance by the rich and by large corporations, the yawn that now greets the millions in dark money spent by invisible billionaires to influence elections.

In other words, the United States has legitimized a political economy of shadows, and it has done so right in step with a global boom in people hoping to escape into the shadows.

American collusion with kleptocracy comes at a terrible cost for the rest of the world. All of the stolen money, all of those evaded tax dollars sunk into Central Park penthouses and Nevada shell companies, might otherwise fund health care and infrastructure. (A report from the anti-poverty group One has argued that 3.6 million deaths each year can be attributed to this sort of resource siphoning.) Thievery tramples the possibilities of workable markets and credible democracy. It fuels suspicions that the whole idea of liberal capitalism is a hypocritical sham: While the world is plundered, self-righteous Americans get rich off their complicity with the crooks.

The Founders were concerned that venality would become standard procedure, and it has. Long before suspicion mounted about the loyalties of Donald Trump, large swaths of the American elite—lawyers, lobbyists, real-estate brokers, politicians in state capitals who enabled the creation of shell companies—had already proved themselves to be reliable servants of a rapacious global plutocracy. Richard Palmer was right: The looting elites of the former Soviet Union were far from rogue profiteers. They augured a kleptocratic habit that would soon become widespread. One bitter truth about the Russia scandal is that by the time Vladimir Putin attempted to influence the shape of our country, it was already bending in the direction of his.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Anthony Kennedy did far more harm to this country with that one terrible opinion than Scalia did his entire life. 

As a reminder Scalia voted for it too, but I understand where you're coming from so "yeah."

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Here we have the POTUS planting seeds that the Democrats cant legitimately win in 2020.  So what happens when it becomes clear they may win?  Call off election?  If the do win? Void the results?  This is how you start down a very scary path (and yes I realize we are way past that point).

I think it’s more trying to convince himself, and more importantly his base, that he can somehow flip MI, PA, WI, and AZ back, while keeping Florida.

He must flip three of those first four states I mentioned in order to win, and the math just isn’t there for that to happen. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

As a reminder Scalia voted for it too, but I understand where you're coming from so "yeah."

Yeah I know. Which makes him a piece of shit too, although a lesser one in my opinion. 

But he didn’t write it. To me that matters. Scalia was a much better writer than Kennedy. If he had wrote it (1) maybe it wouldn’t have been quite as bad, and/ or (2) at least entertaining to read. My guess is both. 

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is it really spying if it's all out in the open?

The most fucked up thing about the Bongino spygate narrative is it neglects the fact the FBI was trying to protect the Trump campaign from Russian infiltration at the time.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz