Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Exactly. This isn't a difficult. NINETY PERCENT of American citizens want stricter gun control legislation. What a fucking opportunity to have every D Senator back in D.C. DEMANDING a vote. "We are here because we want to save American lives."

It makes Trump look bad, the GOP look bad, and strengthens the chance of flipping the Senate. 

It really is this simple.  Have the Dem senators show up.  If they can get in the chamber, send out images of them sitting at their desk, waiting to do the people's business, and show Mitch's empty chair.  If they can't get in, have them sit in chairs on the steps.  All.  fucking.  day.  And all.  fucking.  night.  You signed up to serve your country -- now fucking DO IT YOU GUTLESS FUCKING COWARDS.

• Like 7

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It really is this simple.  Have the Dem senators show up.  If they can get in the chamber, send out images of them sitting at their desk, waiting to do the people's business, and show Mitch's empty chair.  If they can't get in, have them sit in chairs on the steps.  All.  fucking.  day.  And all.  fucking.  night.  You signed up to serve your country -- now fucking DO IT YOU GUTLESS FUCKING COWARDS.

Narrator: they won't.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Exactly. This isn't a difficult. NINETY PERCENT of American citizens want stricter gun control legislation. What a fucking opportunity to have every D Senator back in D.C. DEMANDING a vote. "We are here because we want to save American lives."

It makes Trump look bad, the GOP look bad, and strengthens the chance of flipping the Senate. 

Agree. But you have to put a 2019 twist on it, and I'm not sure what that twist is. What they've been doing for the last 2 years isn't working.

You could reconvene the House and do floor speeches, but that's not gonna move the needle.

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

Brisket has it right, it has to be some peaceful type movement.  But it has to be done en masse.   Unfortunately, because the rural areas are so red, most demonstrations are going to be localized to urban areas.

A mass movement by the people generally makes sense. But we've done that. It doesn't work. The proof is in the pudding...the government - especially under GOP rule - doesn't give one fuck about the American people. At all.

It's time for the spineless D members of Congress to unite and make a public spectacle. 

1 minute ago, retread said:

Agree. But you have to put a 2019 twist on it, and I'm not sure what that twist is. What they've been doing for the last 2 years isn't working.

I want 47 Democrats traveling the country together.  Charter a big plane, get security, coordinate with March for Our Life, Moms Demand Action, etc. and visit the capital of every state that has at least 1 Republican Senator.  Hold a press conference outside their biggest state office. 

• Like 1

A mass movement by the people generally makes sense. But we've done that. It doesn't work. The proof is in the pudding...the government - especially under GOP rule - doesn't give one fuck about the American people. At all.

It's time for the spineless D members of Congress to unite and make a public spectacle. 

We have?

It needs to be both.  Our elected reps need to get off their fucking asses and treat this like the emergency it is.

But we need to stop being fat and lazy, and act like things are okay right now.   It's everyone's responsibility, not just our elected officials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retread said:

What has antifa done? The Fox News types are so focused on them but other than organizing have they really done anything dangerous? And yes, I do understand that to racists, blacks organizing is dangerous enough. But do I have  my head in the sand about all the evil things antifa has done?

38 minutes ago, immamac said:

At what point does this turn into a national revolt or uprising? We are on the brink I feel.

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It does feel like the frog is getting pretty hot.

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If it gets worse and people start fighting back, what better reason to enact martial law and give yourself emergency powers?

29 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Ugh, didn't think of that. Think there is enough support in the military to do his bidding? 

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The position that Trump will refuse to recognize the results of the election, potentially in cahoots with the congress, state officials, and others is a fairly commonly discussed belief on this board. The setup often involves attempt for forceful removal from office of the narcissist in chief. In parallel Trump and his GOP allies are actively working towards inciting a civil war in this country with ultimate goal to establish a fascist authoritarian government.  We are apparently very close to this popping off. If all that is correct, this exactly the kind of shit that underlies the need for the 2nd Amendment.  The eve of this particular transition of power may be the most dangerous time in the history of our nation according to the logic commonly displayed on this board. Maybe not the best time to tell law abiding American citizens it is time to give up their ARs since they are weapons of war. If these opinions are correct, we are indeed on the verge of it.    

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Just now, sachick said:

What has antifa done? The Fox News types are so focused on them but other than organizing have they really done anything dangerous? And yes, I do understand that to racists, blacks organizing is dangerous enough. But do I have  my head in the sand about all the evil things antifa has done?

No.  Someone affiliated with Antifa once threw a milkshake at a white supremacist.  

The same people arguing about Antifa, also claimed that the Black Panthers were interfering in elections and scaring off voters.  This is their deflection MO.

Just now, Anastasis said:

The position that Trump will refuse to recognize the results of the election, potentially in cahoots with the congress, state officials, and others is a fairly commonly discussed belief on this board. The setup often involves attempt for forceful removal from office of the narcissist in chief. In parallel Trump and his GOP allies are actively working towards inciting a civil war in this country with ultimate goal to establish a fascist authoritarian government.  We are apparently very close to this popping off. If all that is correct, this exactly the kind of shit that underlies the need for the 2nd Amendment.  The eve of this particular transition of power may be the most dangerous time in the history of our nation according to the logic commonly displayed on this board. Maybe not the best time to tell law abiding American citizens it is time to give up their weapons ARs since they are weapons of war. If these opinions are correct, we are indeed on the verge of it.    

Having a group of D Senators demanding a vote on gun control is inciting violence? 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

March for Our Lives? 

Also, the Women's March.  Airport protests after the Muslim ban.

And the media barely covered any of this. They gave far more attention to Trump and his inane tweets and ramblings than anything the public was reacting to.

That said, there hasn't been the sort of sustained angry protest with millions of people that's needed in this situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

The position that Trump will refuse to recognize the results of the election, potentially in cahoots with the congress, state officials, and others is a fairly commonly discussed belief on this board. The setup often involves attempt for forceful removal from office of the narcissist in chief. In parallel Trump and his GOP allies are actively working towards inciting a civil war in this country with ultimate goal to establish a fascist authoritarian government.  We are apparently very close to this popping off. If all that is correct, this exactly the kind of shit that underlies the need for the 2nd Amendment.  The eve of this particular transition of power may be the most dangerous time in the history of our nation according to the logic commonly displayed on this board. Maybe not the best time to tell law abiding American citizens it is time to give up their ARs since they are weapons of war. If these opinions are correct, we are indeed on the verge of it.    

Problem is, most the weapons of war being owned and purchased are by gun nuts who are more than likely Trump supporters and "Christians" wanting to bring about the Apocalypse. None of this statement is hyperbole. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's going to take an assassination of a public official to really hit the mark with the general public.  

This is the one that worries me.  One of these days one of the parents of a kid killed in a shooting is going to snap and try and take out one of the politicians who continue to block reasonable gun regulations.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet.  

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah fuck an election at this point.

How about the winner of a mile run wins?

Or lowest BP or A1C?

I'm onboard with a race. Trump is easy, but before Pelosi can assume leadership you have to figure out Pence's achilles' heel. It's not donuts, so any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Having a group of D Senators demanding a vote on gun control is inciting violence? 

I don't think I said that.  I only included your post because it was an example of the calls for gun control in the context of the series of recent posts about uprisings and martial law and what not.  It was probably not necessary to include as I was clicking though.  

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

This is the one that worries me.  One of these days one of the parents of a kid killed in a shooting is going to snap and try and take out one of the politicians who continue to block reasonable gun regulations.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet.  

My concern is a nutjob taking out one of the presidential candidates or one of the The Squad. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm onboard with a race. Trump is easy, but before Pelosi can assume leadership you have to figure out Pence's achilles' heel. It's not donuts, so any suggestions?

Strap him to a chair and force him to binge watch RuPaul's Drag Race.  He'll stroke out by end of episode 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The far more likely scenario is that a Trumpkin will try to take out a minority (female) rep.

41 minutes ago, immamac said:

At what point does this turn into a national revolt or uprising? We are on the brink I feel.

Hopefully soon, as in, right now.  Should have started the minute he walked off the stage in Helsinki, but I will welcome it whenever it starts.  

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And the media barely covered any of this. They gave far more attention to Trump and his inane tweets and ramblings than anything the public was reacting to.

That said, there hasn't been the sort of sustained angry protest with millions of people that's needed in this situation.

Come on, those events got wall to wall coverage when they were happening. Barely covered is not accurate at all.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Come on, those events got wall to wall coverage when they were happening. Barely covered is not accurate at all.

They got at most a day's headlines.  Along with a bunch of puff pieces about the economic anxiety of white men in Pennsylvania.  The amount of coverage of millions of pissed off people showing up compared to the coverage of trump's tweets or profiles of white folk in diners in Iowa is scant.

9 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Problem is, most the weapons of war being owned and purchased are by gun nuts who are more than likely Trump supporters and "Christians" wanting to bring about the Apocalypse. None of this statement is hyperbole. 

Maybe.  Ignoring the problems I would see with the potential political targeting overlay to the gun control issue, I think that you would be surprised.  I would wager that a review of posting history would show that some of the most vocal posters on this board, far from being Trump supporters or even Christians, have little stockpiles in their safe, containing ARs or other semi-automatic weapons.  

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Back when Kent State happened, it shocked everyone. Partially because it wasn't a lone shooter. But now that mass shootings have been 'normalized,' I hate to think what horror would galvanize people enough to stop this madness. Every one of these shootings has been horrific. Horrific. And yet, here were are. My biggest worry of late is that Cruz and the politicians who have been attempting to paint Antifa as some sort of organized protest movement will succeed in passing legislation that is so vague that anyone protesting will be painted as an Antifa terrorist,  held long enough for their life to be in disarray (for 'security purposes') as a warning to others and the First Amendment will be pretty much in tatters. I don't know how likely it is, but with Stephen Miller as a behind the scenes manipulator, I worry it is not long in coming.

It needs to be both.  I agree they should unite,  but they need the support of enough people to break the MSM lethargy and actually have them report completely, accurately.  Not pandering to this both sides shit. 

MLK's Peace Marches worked, the suffragettes worked.  The million man march didn't.   So much of this takes time to organize to be effective, working up support in both congress and  boots on the ground.  Occupy Wall Street comes to mind in how ineffective so much energy can be if not properly focused behind a strong message and plan.

And what this joint protest needs to focus on is not the red herrings the administration puts out daily, but the underlying overwhelming spread of nihilism, feeling of loss of self worth, loss of unified worth, and the corruption of our government to allow monied people to influence laws to suit their greed or lust for power. 

** lemonlime beat me to some of this.

*** that article posted yesterday from the NYT about nihilism hit a chord.  Everyone needs to read that, if they haven't yet. 

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, only problem with that is the people with ARs are on Trumps side. Not sure you thought this take all the way through.

13 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The problem was those were one day events. An uprising is like what Puerto Rico did to get their corrupt governor out of office. But we won't do it. We're too lazy and don't have the passion. It would be too much of an inconvenience for most of us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

It needs to be both.  I agree they should unite,  but they need the support of enough people to break the MSM lethargy and actually have them report completely, accurately.  Not pandering to this both sides shit. 

MLK's Peace Marches worked, the suffragettes worked.  The million man march didn't.   So much of this takes time to organize to be effective, working up support in both congress and  boots on the ground.  Occupy Wall Street comes to mind in how ineffective so much energy can be if not properly focused behind a strong message and plan.

And what this joint protest needs to focus on is not the red herrings the administration puts out daily, but the underlying overwhelming spread of nihilism, feeling of loss of self worth, loss of unified worth, and the corruption of our government to allow monied people to influence laws to suit their greed or lust for power. 

** lemonlime beat me to some of this.

*** that article posted yesterday from the NYT about nihilism hit a chord.  Everyone needs to read that, if they haven't yet. 

If you want to get their attention, strike. Walk out of work. Threaten the economy. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If you want to get their attention, strike. Walk out of work. Threaten the economy. 

It's the FU, I Got Mine world now. No average American is going to walk out of work and lose his/her job. This might be the quietest coup ever. /pessimist

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Complicating this issue is that within a few weeks, children will be returning to school. Students will be going to college. Labor Day is approaching. All of those can be good or bad depending upon your viewpoint.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think that is a good idea.  But unless you have a list of demands that the strikers stand behind, then what good is it?

What would be some of those demands?  Let's start a list.

Killing Citizens United and dark money would be a good start.

Immigration reform

Gun control reform

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sachick said:

I don't understand why white people are the ones most offended that Beto goes by the nickname Beto. It really does bother them. Mexicans understand that your white friend basically became Mexican when he hung out with you and your family and therefore picked up Mexican nick names.

It's ingrained racism that views whiteness as the default.  The same people who criticize Beto also mock people from other ethnicities who don't go by a white name or at least use a white pronunciation for their ethnic name.  It's right that Rafael "Felito" Cruz should change his name to "Ted" in middle school because he's moving towards the white norm.   But it's wrong that a white person in a heavily Latino community would go by "Beto" his entire life because he's white above all else.   That's how they think. 

• Like 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

Then we'll keep getting the same results. 

Another way would be to just stop buying stuff for a week.  Nothing but the absolute essentials.  No fast food, no clothes, no building materials.   Just gas to get back and forth to work/school and milk/bread/eggs.    Biggest part of our economy is consumerism.  Buying a lot of shit we don't really need.   Stop buying crap like Halloween decorations and the economy would notice that as much as a strike.