2019 Sugar Bowl - Texas vs. Georgia

satyanash

There was talk about how our CCG was at noon and so nobody watched. On the other hand, this game was the last game before the MNC, on a New Years when pretty much everybody was watching. Worked out in the end, I think.

I was concerned that OU "made the playoffs" and A&M won their game. OU got demolished and A&M played a team that made Kellen Mond look good. Again, I think it worked out for the good guys.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

Something I noticed while watching All Access and when rewatching the game; after the offense comes off the field, Same and Shane would put on their headsets to talk to Beck upstairs. Casey Thompson would come over and sit with them during this discussion but Rising wasn't around. Not sure if it's been like that all year or not.

31 minutes ago, thepop said:

Something I noticed while watching All Access and when rewatching the game; after the offense comes off the field, Same and Shane would put on their headsets to talk to Beck upstairs. Casey Thompson would come over and sit with them during this discussion but Rising wasn't around. Not sure if it's been like that all year or not.

I mentioned that in the game thread too

8 hours ago, thepop said:

If second-hand rumours are to be believed, Thompson is the more likely of the two to not transfer. FWIW.

I don’t think it’s been like that all year. I mentioned in it one of the other threads after I noticed it. Rising seemed to be checked out.

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I don’t think it’s been like that all year. I mentioned in it one of the other threads after I noticed it. Rising seemed to be checked out.

I did see him celebrating with the other QBs while wearing a headset a couple times in the "Texas RAW" footage that Texas Football has been posting on Instagram if we really wanna dig into this one. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I am in the camp that was looking forward to seeing what Rising could do. That said, there are 22+ positions on the field. QB is the most important, but even so having 5+ guys on scholarship is a bit much. Ideally you have a starter, a backup, number three, and a freshman you are redshirting. Shane is no Sam substitute, but he is our #2. RoJo is the RS. As much as we hate to lose promising guys, someone really should leave. With a year to chill, practice, and develop, and with the nightmare of the '16 and '17 lines starting to shrink in the rearview, Shane might be a better backup than we expect. The news that Thompson was engaged is certainly promising. It would be a bummer if we lost more than one QB.

After A&M won, I was worried. NC State was a bad enough team they even made Kellen Mond look good. The OU lost in convincing fashion. Then we flat out dominated Georgia on New Years Day with everyone watching. Players better, coaches better, offense, defense, special teams, just dominated on the big stage. And then I felt better about everything.

We're gonna win.

I couldn't sleep last night so I re-watched the game. At the end it occurred to me (and I'm sure that this has already been posted) that, despite the fact that they were certainly hyped up beyond belief, our OL did not have a single penalty called on it. No offsides, no holding ... nothing.  Pay Herb Hand his money!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I couldn't sleep last night so I re-watched the game. At the end it occurred to me (and I'm sure that this has already been posted) that, despite the fact that they were certainly hyped up beyond belief, our OL did not have a single penalty called on it. No offsides, no holding ... nothing.  Pay Herb Hand his money!

No shit? Did not realize that. Huge. 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Modessit said:

So I'm sure this was mentioned elsewhere, but I see Georgia's OC has left to become OC at Tennessee. That's two coaches at Top10 schools that have left after losing to Texas.

I'm not really following you.  Mel Tucker, DC, left UGA prior to the game.  Are you referring to another top 10 team, like  OU?  Their DC  left after they beat us. 

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I'm not really following you.  Mel Tucker, DC, left UGA prior to the game.  Are you referring to another top 10 team, like  OU?  Their DC  left after they beat us. 

He said OC, not DC.  Jim Chaney left for Tennessee.  Lots of rumors that the reason so many players left early were because they didn't like the offensive coach.  They lost their top 3 undergrad receivers and their 2nd leading running back, in addition to their backup QB.

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

He said OC, not DC.  Jim Chaney left for Tennessee.  Lots of rumors that the reason so many players left early were because they didn't like the offensive coach.  They lost their top 3 undergrad receivers and their 2nd leading running back, in addition to their backup QB.

Yeah the Chaney move to Tennessee smelled like a soft landing..... Kirby had to make a change so Fromm improves in 2019

Jawja fans are angry after: 1) Loss in SEC Championship Game; 2) Fields probable departure;  and 3) Fromm's horrible showing in the Sugar Bowl.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Let em know what they signed up for from the very first play.

That’s a good line.

Herman gets it. He knows how you win a dogfight. You fight. Be the meanest, toughest junkyard dog from the word "go." And extending that to a team sport, make it about love, loyalty, and duty to the guy next to you. I loved that game.

• Like 1