2019 Sugar Bowl - Texas vs. Georgia

satyanash

3 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

Just rewatched for the third time, first time to watch halfass sober.  Joseph Ossai played a hell of a game.  We need to quit running the fucking option.... hasn’t worked all year.  Substitute it with the LJH screen pass for 10 yards and then let the O-line push him for another 10, that one does not suck.

At least we stopped having Sam run to his left to pass the ball.

• Like 3

Bummed that we missed the happy hour by a hair, along with the chance to meet some of y'all, but other than that it was an amazing night. I've been to a lot of football games but that was the most fun I've ever had. Love my Horns and I'm really hoping we get to go back to New Orleans next year.

2 hours ago, Beer Drinker said:

Just rewatched for the third time, first time to watch halfass sober.  Joseph Ossai played a hell of a game.  We need to quit running the fucking option.... hasn’t worked all year.  Substitute it with the LJH screen pass for 10 yards and then let the O-line push him for another 10, that one does not suck.

It really is a marvel, isn't it? Especially the O-line scrum carrying him the extra yardage. How does LJH stay upright in the middle of it all?

So whose fans had a better end to their season? OU or UT? The Sooners get beat down, we pull an upset celebrated on national TV, complete with our mascot almost killing that little red-sweatered shit. What young recruit can't relate to that victory? The future is bright, my friends.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bullet said:

Saban keeps his players focused on their assignments.  He keeps them even keel.  Smart isn't as good with that.  He has an assistant hold his belt to keep him from running on the field and getting a penalty.  UGA was pretty inconsistent under Richt.  Its still somewhat so under Smart.  They just aren't so inconsistent as to lose to the bad teams anymore.  Also this UGA team lost a lot and is pretty young.  Lots of talent, but young.  They may finally dethrone Alabama next year if he can keep them from being so cocky.

I'm thinking we took care of that part for him. 

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So whose fans had a better end to their season? OU or UT? The Sooners get beat down, we pull an upset celebrated on national TV, complete with our mascot almost killing that little red-sweatered shit. What young recruit can't relate to that victory? The future is bright, my friends.

It's an interesting question.  Would you rather have played for a shot at a national championship and lost, or played in the Sugar Bowl and won?  The answer is clearly Fuck OU.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They won the conference head to head over us, and no matter how good the sugar bowl feels I hope that motivates our guys all off season. 

After losing that game, winning the sugar bowl was absolutely critical for morale and recruiting.  Losing the big 12 and winning the sugar bowl is a good combination for us, because it gives us a huge stepping stone and confidence builder while still leaving us feeling dissatisfied knowing what could have been. 

If I'm ou, I'm watching us dominate a team who hung with Bama better than they did and not liking the thought of next year.  Hope they enjoyed that big 12 win, it will be their last for a while. 

• Like 2

Winning conference and playoff loss is a lot better than losing conference and winning Sugar Bowl.  There is something to be said that winning a lessor bowl could possibly be better ending than losing a higher up bowl assuming neither team won their conference and the bowls aren't too far apart in prestige.  Playoffs and hardware trump that stuff though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Winning conference and playoff loss is a lot better than losing conference and winning Sugar Bowl.  There is something to be said that winning a lessor bowl could possibly be better ending than losing a higher up bowl assuming neither team won their conference and the bowls aren't too far apart in prestige.  Playoffs and hardware trump that stuff though.

Yeah, as much as I liked beating Georgia, I'd definitely prefer type of Season OU had. It won't make a shit next year as Sam is taking us back to New Orleans, this time with a bit more on the line. 

• Like 1

Yeah this win in no way eliminates the frustration of seeing OU hoist that Big 12 Trophy for the billionth time. And we could have stopped them, we just did not bring our A game. It was frustrating and the way the team played in this game tells me it did not sit well with them either. I hope we are out for revenge and redemption next season.

• Like 1

At some point losing is worse. I agree that in general, playing for it all is better than a lesser bowl. First of all, OU didn’t get to play for it all. Second, I can’t imagine anyone preferring a 77-0 or Route 66-style humiliation in any game to the glory of a dominating Sugar Bowl win. How ugly the game has to be to trigger the distinction I don’t know, and probably varies among reasonable people.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

At some point losing is worse. I agree that in general, playing for it all is better than a lesser bowl. First of all, OU didn’t get to play for it all. Second, I can’t imagine anyone preferring a 77-0 or Route 66-style humiliation in any game to the glory of a dominating Sugar Bowl win. How ugly the game has to be to trigger the distinction I don’t know, and probably varies among reasonable people.

I do not really understand the comparison. I mean if UT won they would have been in the Sugar Bowl against...um...LSU or somebody anyway.

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

These arguments brings us full circle to the FUPM years.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I do not really understand the comparison. I mean if UT won they would have been in the Sugar Bowl against...um...LSU or somebody anyway.

Really glad Texas played Georgia and not LSU in the Sugar Bowl..... seems like a more valuable Win

Edited by LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That's probably correct on paper.  But you really have to account for the way that OU and UGa got whipped from the opening kick.  Made the outcome of the Big XII CG look a lot more like a fluke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

That's probably correct on paper.  But you really have to account for the way that OU and UGa got whipped from the opening kick.  Made the outcome of the Big XII CG look a lot more like a fluke.

Yup. When I watched the games, Texas looked like they had a lot of fun. Blow U looked like shit.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

They sucked early but at least battled back to a respectable loss unlike their USC beatdown game.  I don't think there is any question as far as my satisfaction in comparing OU to Texas this year.  Better record, win conference, split h2h, and playoff berth.  They even have a Heisman.  I know it's an individual award but it's a team game and it absolutely means something for a program to have a player win the Heisman.  We have a better bowl performance going for us and a split h2h.

Something like a UF v UGA discussion would fit the hypothetical better.  Neither hoisted conference hardware and neither were in a playoff game.  Despite losing the h2h Florida routed Michigan in a lesser bowl and UGA got beat down in a higher bowl.  I think an argument for Florida having a more satisfying season could be made there.

49 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

They won the conference head to head over us, and no matter how good the sugar bowl feels I hope that motivates our guys all off season. 

After losing that game, winning the sugar bowl was absolutely critical for morale and recruiting.  Losing the big 12 and winning the sugar bowl is a good combination for us, because it gives us a huge stepping stone and confidence builder while still leaving us feeling dissatisfied knowing what could have been. 

If I'm ou, I'm watching us dominate a team who hung with Bama better than they did and not liking the thought of next year.  Hope they enjoyed that big 12 win, it will be their last for a while. 

losing the CCG sucks. its a new day with this stupid round robin/1 v 2 CCG.  We are going to have to beat OU twice now so we need to quit fucking losing to to 5-7 and 6-6 teams.  our goal is the NC.  I'd rather have kicked OU's ass and then had a chance to beat Bama any day of the week.  it would have crushed all the Kyler Murray is the greatest QB of the 21st century talk and set OU back.

The only think making this slightly palatable is the fact we beat "SECSECSEC should have been in the playoff" team in dominating fashion. If it was Washington State no one would have cared. I'm not saying Herman isn't on or ahead of schedule but we need to bring it every week next year and thats on Tom.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They sucked early but at least battled back to a respectable loss unlike their USC beatdown game.  I don't think there is any question as far as my satisfaction in comparing OU to Texas this year.  Better record, win conference, split h2h, and playoff berth.  They even have a Heisman.  I know it's an individual award but it's a team game and it absolutely means something for a program to have a player win the Heisman.  We have a better bowl performance going for us and a split h2h.

Something like a UF v UGA discussion would fit the hypothetical better.  Neither hoisted conference hardware and neither were in a playoff game.  Despite losing the h2h Florida routed Michigan in a lesser bowl and UGA got beat down in a higher bowl.  I think an argument for Florida having a more satisfying season could be made there.

The original question was which season ending was better for the FANS.  That was the question I was responding to and I don't think there's much doubt what the answer to that question should be.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm with you on the conference title and playoff berth, but not the Heisman. Don't give a shit about that award and haven't for a while.

I’m rewatching the end. That offensive holding call on Georgia ended up being hugely beneficial for them.  Probably saved them 10-15 seconds. It was practically a free timeout given the circumstances. Kinda bullshit that the clock stops until the next snap even when someone is tackled in bounds.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm with you on the conference title and playoff berth, but not the Heisman. Don't give a shit about that award and haven't for a while.

I get what you're saying, but the Heisman matters to recruits and, now, transfers. 

Especially when Riley can make the reasonable argument to stud QBs that you can come to OU and win a Heisman.

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

3 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I get what you're saying, but the Heisman matters to recruits and, now, transfers. 

Especially when Riley can make the reasonable argument to stud QBs that you can come to OU and win a Heisman.

What does that have to do with whose fans had a better end to the season?

I assume Oklahoma fans enjoyed the Heisman going to their duck-out-of-bounds quarterback, but it means nothing to me either way. The better argument would be that their fans enjoyed it, I was only pointing out that it's not a negative in the comparison for me because I don't care that Murray won it and it wouldn't have improved the end of the season if one of our players had won it.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What does that have to do with whose fans had a better end to the season?

I assume Oklahoma fans enjoyed the Heisman going to their duck-out-of-bounds quarterback, but it means nothing to me either way. The better argument would be that their fans enjoyed it, I was only pointing out that it's not a negative in the comparison for me because I don't care that Murray won it and it wouldn't have improved the end of the season if one of our players had won it.

Nothing. 

My misread on the context.   I'll go fuck myself now. 

16 hours ago, Cajun said:

BTW, if you're this guy and you are lurking here on Surly, please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and never post anything on the internet again.

Ever.

Ouch.  That guy has more Aggie in him than most Aggies.  BTW, it's "flagship" not "landmark" you twit.

20 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Maybe. Both of them started off taking about how they planned on running their mouths when uga won. I don’t feel bad.

I feel bad for you having to work with 'DAWG fans.

edit: and I work with a bunch of aggys

Edited by Zavala

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

They completely bought into the "Mighty SEC/Soft Big 12" narrative.

That self mind-fuck continues, and will continue, to bite every SEC around not named Alabama.

I'd say fuck 'em, but they fuck themselves, so...

This. They watched Bama go bigger stronger faster against OU and thought this game would be the same

17 hours ago, XYZ said:

Loved it that Herman called QB power four times on that first-and-goal at the one.

Bingo.  Herman actually called Sam's number 6 times in a row to end that drive.  3rd and 4 from the 16, the original call was QB power.  After the timeout, it's QB sweep with outside zone blocking and RB lead.  Pass attempt to CJ, QB power, scramble  Then straight QB power 4 times in a row starting with 1st and goal.

And yes Georgia fans, Texas DOES get toughness from the QB position.

Edited by sushihorn

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Beck got plenty of deserved distain when he was calling the offense, but hard not to love the emotion on his face during this.

Assuming he's the one coaching our qbs, he's now providing huge value both there and in recruiting.  You can argue over title and pay, but I'll leave that up to Herman.  As long as he is never our play caller again, I'm OK with Beck on our staff. 

• Like 2

BTW, how the HELL was the hit by #2 at the 2 yd line NOT called targeting on Sam's scramble to set up 1st and goal on the last TD drive?  He clearly launches, even leaving his feet.  Lowers the head, striking Sam with the TOP of the helmet, not just the area above the facemask.  Head to head blow with a straight on collision.  It was deliberate and blatant; Sam's head didn't change levels - which is how accidental targeting usually happens.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

BTW, how the HELL was the hit by #2 at the 2 yd line NOT called targeting on Sam's scramble to set up 1st and goal on the last TD drive?  He clearly launches, even leaving his feet.  Lowers the head, striking Sam with the TOP of the helmet, not just the area above the facemask.  Head to head blow with a straight on collision.  It was deliberate and blatant; Sam's head didn't change levels - which is how accidental targeting usually happens.

I was axing the same thing.

8 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I saw that too.  Pretty much textbook.  Not sure how they "missed" it.

I'm listening to an argument in the next room here at work.  I work with a guy from Atlanta who played college ball for Bama.    "Georgia didn't want to be there"  "In their minds, they belonged in the playoff".  "you know that wasn't the same team that played alabama or even Oklahoma last year".

Blah blah blah blah blah. 

This SEC myth will take a while to uproot.... to their own peril.