Texas will make a playoff run next year

TXs

I believe Texas could very well be in the mix for a playoff spot, They're a physical team, and Herman seems to know he needs a good defense. UT just needs to not lose a head scratcher game that young teams tend to do. Then just take down OU. 

CFB is better with Texas being in the conversation.

• Like 1

I don't think we're going to have enough depth on both lines to get through the schedule unbeaten or with one loss. 9 regular season wins and a B12 CCG appearance should be the floor though. We'll see, should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^This is what my head is telling me.

My heart wants to agree with the OP though.

Honestly I think we are 2-3 years of top 10 recruiting classes away from having the necessary depth and athletes.

We could catch lightning in a bottle next year, though as we will have the best QB & WR tandem in the league to begin the season.

It is going to take Herman learning and shoring up his situational coaching chops. He has some deficiencies that keep us from winning games we should win. We actually had the talent to make a run this year, but Herman kept us from doing it. We had the talent to beat Maryland, OSU, West Virginia and OU. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, po elvis said:

It is going to take Herman learning and shoring up his situational coaching chops. He has some deficiencies that keep us from winning games we should win. We actually had the talent to make a run this year, but Herman kept us from doing it. We had the talent to beat Maryland, OSU, West Virginia and OU. 

Respectfully disagree, except for Maryland.  Outside of the the true freshmen, Texas fielded marginal top 20 talent per recruiting rankings.  #10, #9 and #25 ranked classes, less a bunch of Strong's recruits from those first 2 classes who left with the coaching change.  Yes, Herman got the #3 class this year but they need time to develop at most positions.

My opinion is that the Horns had significantly less talent and still split with OU - dominating the first game for 50 minutes.  Obviously that is even more true of what Herman did to Georgia but Riley, even with his defensive issues has better schemes than Kirby.  Gundy and Holgerson are really good coaches who had comparable talent and won in shootouts at the end.  Patterson is probably in that same category and got whipped.  USC had more talent than Texas but was not well coached and Herman's team destroyed them.  TH also had the talent edge vs two good coaches and beat ISU and KSU.  The later was a nail biter but got a huge monkey off the program's back.

An undefeated UT absolutely makes it into the CFP in 2019.  A 1 loss B12 Champ UT should make it into the CFP, but leaves it open for debate and disappointment. A regular season undefeated UT that looses the B12 Championship game has absolutely no chance of being in the CFP.

Tom specifically said that this year the players started pushing themselves instead of the coaches having to push them - we'll see if that carries over to Spring and Summer ball (where championship runs start).

The focus of 2019 should be B12 Championship with one loss or less.  Nothing else.

Edited by Grippe
grammer, how does it work?
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grippe said:

An undefeated UT absolutely makes it into the CFP in 2019.  A 1 loss B12 Champ UT should make it into the CFP, but leaves it open for debate and disappointment. A regular season undefeated UT that looses the B12 Championship game has absolutely no chance of being in the CFP.

Tom specifically said that this year the players started pushing themselves instead of the coaches having to push them - we'll see if that carries over to Spring and Summer ball (where championship runs start).

The focus of 2019 should be B12 Championship with one loss or less.  Nothing else.

Given how much Ehlinger's studied VY's career, you can bet he's going to be posting those "if you want to beat..." practice notes in the locker room.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

<checks schedule>

no maryland

giphy.gif

Heh.

Despite out shitty performances against Cal and Maryland I do wish we were still playing a mid-tier P5 team instead of Louisiana Tech. I mean Louisiana Tech is probably good and all...

I’m thinking the Ewok says screw the signing bonus and comes back and we split with OU again (this time they beat us in October and we beat them in B12 championship). If he doesn’t come back, we still lose to an OSU or Iowa St type team. 

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think we will be good next year, but 2020 is the year we are set up for a run from a depth perspective.   If we can somehow plug some holes with grad transfers that could change my mind, but we are losing a lot on both lines.

Ditto.  Don't think we will have the horses in the trenches to go 12-0 or 11-1.  10-2 or 9-3 before the bowl game + a Big 12 CCG appearance is great all things considered.  Plus all the graduations on defense.

Granted, Sam, Ingram, CJ, Duve and LJH if he comes back could go all 2018 OU and we finish 11-1 with a loss in Ames, win the CCG and sneak into the playoffs with a meh defense and a killer offense.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think we will be good next year, but 2020 is the year we are set up for a run from a depth perspective.   If we can somehow plug some holes with grad transfers that could change my mind, but we are losing a lot on both lines.

I'm a lot less worried about the DL than I was before the Sugar Bowl.  Graham and Ossai were studs.  McCullough gave us good snaps at DE.  So did Roach, who even played some NT also in pass rushing situations.  At one point, the front was Shark, Roach (NT) and Omenihu.  Wilbon showed he could hold the point against a really good OL and Coburn got some play there as well.

It's the OL that is more of a concern.  Cosmi and Shack return but 3 starters graduate.  Kerstetter can fill one spot and Okafor is likely at the other after a RS year.  But that 5th spot and especially depth are big issues in my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don't think we're going to have enough depth on both lines to get through the schedule unbeaten or with one loss. 9 regular season wins and a B12 CCG appearance should be the floor though. We'll see, should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Meh. The top teams in the Big 12 will be looking different next year in WVU and OU. Both will have new QBs. OU had the benefit of getting a veteran guy in here who knew the game right after Mayfield and the transition was easy. Are they going to do that for this coming season?

Sam will be the best QB in the conference this coming season. I think that can make up for any other weak spots. The game is all about the QB now more than ever, especially in the offense happy Big 12.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Meh. The top teams in the Big 12 will be looking different next year in WVU and OU. Both will have new QBs. OU had the benefit of getting a veteran guy in here who knew the game right after Mayfield and the transition was easy. Are they going to do that for this coming season?

Sam will be the best QB in the conference this coming season. I think that can make up for any other weak spots. The game is all about the QB now more than ever, especially in the offense happy Big 12.

Year after year people somehow assume a massive dropoff with OU's QB play.  I'll believe it when I actually see it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Year after year people somehow assume a massive dropoff with OU's QB play.  I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Where did I say massive drop off? All I said was it will be a new QB and it won't be a Kyler Murray level QB. Which was out of the ordinary for his situation. Unless the QB they have this year will be on the level of Mayfield or Murray, we will have the better QB. 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Will Herman break his lose to a team he really shouldn’t lose to curse?

That's the question.  We should be better on paper (assuming healthy) than any other team in the conference, but we probably won't be head and shoulders better to offset some dud performances.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Huh? What year was this? Were we all like "This Baker Mayfield punk is going to SUCK compared to Cody Thomas and Trevor Knight?"

really the key is Georgia and Haskins QB tOSU.  Ohio State with a no surprise Purdue game, could be 11-1 and push out UT from the CFP.

Of course UT will be in the hunt for CFP, that's a given, will they actually get in? The real threat is Ohio State, Pac 12 is dead -- Bama and Clemson are givens, so it's SEC#2, Big12 and Ohio State. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

really the key is Georgia and Haskins QB tOSU.  Ohio State with a no surprise Purdue game, could be 11-1 and push out UT from the CFP.

Of course UT will be in the hunt for CFP, that's a given, will they actually get in? The real threat is Ohio State, Pac 12 is dead -- Bama and Clemson are givens, so it's SEC#2, Big12 and Ohio State. 

Well, Justin Fields is supposedly heavily leaning towards tOSU.