Who will we miss most next year?

BurntOrange&White

Omenihu would be a good pick but I think with Ossai starting to come on at the end of the year, bringing in Jones (JUCO), and having Graham, Shark (played some there i believe) & Roach there i think we’ll be fine. 

Johnson is another good pick but Floyd seems like a bigger copy of him.  Video of him returning kicks tells me he’s a fit to handle that spot athletically.  Early might be rough but it’ll come around. 

Im gonna vote Watson. I think Ingram is gonna be a great back and will benefit with another year of Yancy, but behind him looks bleak. Watson was a workhorse this year and a go to guy on a lot of plays.  We need a grad transfer RB bad.  

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The Boyd/Davis senior CB combo. Watson in third. Not underrating Omenihu, but we have good players coming up on the DL.

It's this to me. I'm excited about the young corners, but there are going to be some growing pains replacing both of our senior CBs. Cook and Green better be ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Of the known players who won’t be on the team next year who do you think we will miss the most?

I’m going to with with Andrew Beck.

I was thinking about him during the game. The rest of our TEs aren't the blockers that he is, and given our weak link on Offense I was wondering what that looks like next year.

Beck was a very key piece to the offense, the way he was used in pass pro, playaction, lead blocking, sealing the edge, and receiving... dude was very versatile. Hell, he was all conference. Throw on his leadership being the crusty old man/enforcer. Big piece 

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Beck was a very key piece to the offense, the way he was used in pass pro, playaction, lead blocking, sealing the edge, and receiving... dude was very versatile. Hell, he was all conference. Throw on his leadership being the crusty old man/enforcer. Big piece 

i think he's making the NFL.  RB/FB position is the weak link on the team and the importance grows when you have a running QB that needs to have his workload reduce for protection. Losing Watson and Beck is immense. Hoping Young can step up. 

In no particular order ... LJH, Omenihu, Anderson.

Been said already upthread that the really cool thing right now is that we have backups to actually fill some of these spots, unlike the last goddamn decade. Coburn fills in neatly for Nelson. There will be a dropoff, but it's not a guy playing out of position. The LB and CB positions are similar. There will be a dropoff, but there are highly-rated guys ready to stand in. LJH and Omenihu are difference-makers, and there's just no way around the fact that when NFL talent leaves, you feel it. So that's my answer.

Agree with Beck and Watson as well. Those two guys are cogs in this wheel - Beck made so much of the offense go beyond just his offensive output. He stabilized a position that was a literal black hole for years. Watson didn't fumble. Period, end of story. Kirk Johnson, to the bat phone - this is how you get on the field next year.

Tough call.  Each guy leaving brought something.

G Johnson is one

Boyd- for all his issues on double-moves, he was still a hell of a player

I love Nelson, but I think we have guys that can step in. Chris did a better job replacing Poona than most people thought.

Beck's versatility and leadership will be missed.  Brewer/Leitao should be able to replicate his production though.

Calvin Anderson was rock solid on the OL. 

Tre Watson as well- Super thin at RB behind Ingram

Probably an unpopular pick, but PJ Locke.  I think you'll see a bit of a dropoff at NB.  He was a frigin missle back there and was great in run support

We'll miss Boyd and Davis by a long sight more than anyone else departing. Losing two senior starters at CB is a grim, grim thing, even for well coached teams with depth. No knock on the guys replacing them, either. 

Beyond that, Anderson being a steady player at LT and PJ Locke being a stud in run support will be important holes to plug.

Guys we won't miss? Nelson, Wheeler, Hager. 

Guys we'll miss but who will be replaced with comparable or better talent that will bear fruit in 2019? Omenihu, Beck, Watson, Rodriguez.

Guys we'll miss and need to figure out? Gary Johnson, LJH (if he leaves), Buechele. 

We lose a lot, and some of the losses will be a big deal, but this is a good team with depth returning, they'll just be a little youngish. LJH coming back would be huge for the offense, but it's not the end of the world with him leaving, given talent at WR. 

I don't really follow people lamenting the exit of Watson. He was a nice pick-up, but he's a running back. They're important but not strategic in this offense. 

Chris Nelson was a fine, average contributor. He was two steps down from Poona Ford and we have guys who've played plenty who can assume the mantle. 

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Probably an unpopular pick, but PJ Locke.  I think you'll see a bit of a dropoff at NB.  He was a frigin missle back there and was great in run support

PJ played great this year but Orlando has shown an uncanny ability to get production out of the NB position.  Remember last year when Elliot screwed up?  Locke took his spot and Jason Hall came in at NB and was a big contributor despite mostly playing special teams all year?  Hall was basically a LB playing nickel safety, with all the coverage limitations that implies.  Yet Todd Orlando made it work for Texas.

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

PJ played great this year but Orlando has shown an uncanny ability to get production out of the NB position.  Remember last year when Elliot screwed up?  Locke took his spot and Jason Hall came in at NB and was a big contributor despite mostly playing special teams all year?  Hall was basically a LB playing nickel safety, with all the coverage limitations that implies.  Yet Todd Orlando made it work for Texas.

My recollection was that Antwaun Davis took over for PJ after he got injured, and Hall was the dimebacker/box safety in the lightning package.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We'll miss Boyd and Davis by a long sight more than anyone else departing. Losing two senior starters at CB is a grim, grim thing, even for well coached teams with depth. No knock on the guys replacing them, either. 

Beyond that, Anderson being a steady player at LT and PJ Locke being a stud in run support will be important holes to plug.

Guys we won't miss? Nelson, Wheeler, Hager. 

Guys we'll miss but who will be replaced with comparable or better talent that will bear fruit in 2019? Omenihu, Beck, Watson, Rodriguez.

Guys we'll miss and need to figure out? Gary Johnson, LJH (if he leaves), Buechele. 

We lose a lot, and some of the losses will be a big deal, but this is a good team with depth returning, they'll just be a little youngish. LJH coming back would be huge for the offense, but it's not the end of the world with him leaving, given talent at WR. 

I don't really follow people lamenting the exit of Watson. He was a nice pick-up, but he's a running back. They're important but not strategic in this offense. 

Chris Nelson was a fine, average contributor. He was two steps down from Poona Ford and we have guys who've played plenty who can assume the mantle. 

Since when is Buechele leaving?

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My recollection was that Antwaun Davis took over for PJ after he got injured, and Hall was the dimebacker/box safety in the lightning package.

I think that's right.  I'd forgotten how much dime Texas played late last season.  It's still a tribute to Orlando's ability to use hybrid players in totally unexepected ways to achieve results.  That's also the basis of the Chinese Firedrill that QBs see on passing downs.  Dropping a DE into the flats is unusual but not rare anymore.  Dropping one into deep robber coverage or a NT into a LB zone is still pretty wild.

Edited by sushihorn

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

Had no idea ppl thought so highly of Lockes play this year. Besides a couple big hits I thought him a liability mostly, solid sugar bowl though

As time went on this season, I came to the realization that Locke didn't suck as much as our defense asked the impossible out of the nickel back position.

E-Rod, Gary Johnson, Andrew Beck, Kris Boyd, Calvin Anderson, Chris Nelson, Charles O, Tre Watson. In that order. The rest will be replaced with minimal issues and we'll consider the position upgraded by year's end.

Boyd would be higher but the young guys have 3 games against pedestrian passing offenses before B12 play. Boyd was also not that great vs the best of the B12. Nelson would be higher but I was really impressed with Coburn in the Sugar Bowl and he seems like he has the drive to be really good. We will probably miss him quite a bit vs LSU though. The first three are really the ones I think we're still going to be missing in December. LJH obviously jumps near the top if he declares.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As time went on this season, I came to the realization that Locke didn't suck as much as our defense asked the impossible out of the nickel back position.

It's a rough job against most of the offenses in the Big XII.  You have to be a credible threat to single cover the slot WR, play overhang defender, run to coverage zones all over the field, provide run support and just for giggles, tackle TEs and receivers out of the backfield. 

Despite all of that, the main issue in coverage was lack of pressure up front.  No Poona and playing contain against mobile QBs gave receivers time to make the double moves that were Boyd's main issue and to get the coverage dropping deep that allowed YAC on checkdowns underneath.

Edited by sushihorn