Nick Saban's National Chapmionships

IPoopOnWhoop

If you don’t like how things have been gifted to Bama, and irrespective of anyone else’s counters, Saban was gifted playing OU in 2003, getting to rematch LSU in 2011 (something so absurd that it led directly to the CFP today), and sneaking them in in 2017, just wait until you look at their 2019 schedule.  
The SEC is a fart-huffing echo chamber where the teams play cupcakes and each other, then get bragged upon but a mouthbreathing media with no analytic skills whatsoever. Bama will benefit from that yet again next year as their big nonconference test is a neutral site game against fucking Duke. 
Also look at how the sec placed their bye weeks. That certainly wasnt on purpose.

Thread seems a bit aggy.
Not entirely. 2 of his titles he should not have. At all. 2011 and 2017. That's my only beef. He can't control playing OU in 03, the Ohio St probation in 12 and the Colt injury in 09.

But he absolutely gets to benefit from the SEC hype machine. Let me know when Bama actually goes on the road for an OOC game.

I can't help but wonder if Alabama would have been better prepared for this game by scheduling an elite spread OOC team (OU, Ohio State) at the beginning of the season instead of coasting through a broken Louisville and the little sisters of the poor.
Well they did play OU the week before. Difference was Clemson could play defense. They forced turnovers and got Bama off the field on 3rd downs. OU was the polar opposite. Hell they tried like hell to give Bama a game after being down 28-0. Clemson is just on a different level all across the board. I had no idea they were that good. They could have scored 60 on Bama but they had no desire to score in the last 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If you don’t like how things have been gifted to Bama, and irrespective of anyone else’s counters, Saban was gifted playing OU in 2003, getting to rematch LSU in 2011 (something so absurd that it led directly to the CFP today), and sneaking them in in 2017, just wait until you look at their 2019 schedule.  

The SEC is a fart-huffing echo chamber where the teams play cupcakes and each other, then get bragged upon by a mouthbreathing media with no analytic skills whatsoever. Bama will benefit from that yet again next year as their big nonconference test is a neutral site game against fucking Duke.

It's a farce and nobody in the national media outside of Joel Klatt will call them or on it. Their cross division games are South Carolina and Tennessee plus they get LSU at home. They will pummel everybody on that schedule and even if they lose to Georgia in the conference championship game they will still get the benefit of the doubt over any other one loss team. 

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
44 minutes ago, Machinator said:
I can't help but wonder if Alabama would have been better prepared for this game by scheduling an elite spread OOC team (OU, Ohio State) at the beginning of the season instead of coasting through a broken Louisville and the little sisters of the poor.

Clemson is just on a different level all across the board. I had no idea they were that good. They could have scored 60 on Bama but they had no desire to score in the last 10 minutes.

Been trying to tell you fuckers for months ... 

8 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

2015 Alabama - Wins the playoff over #1 Clemson in a classic.  No disputing anything about this one.

Without Arkansas' miraculous 4th and 25 conversion in OT against Ole Miss, 'Bama fails to win the SEC West division and perhaps misses the playoffs that year as well.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

He definitely gets a mulligan every year that most teams don't 

He does, but he wins with it.  In fact, on their clear mulligan MNCs against LSU and Georgia, they were fully expected to win and did win.

OU also gets a mulligan more often than not, and is abysmal in title games/playoffs since their 2000 MNC.  They need to take the mulligan away from OU before they take away Saban's.

They also need to take away the near automatic bid for undefeated Notre Dame. They simply aren't anywhere close to the same level of play. 

Louisville
Arkansas St.
Louisiana-Lafayette
The Citadel

That was Alabama's regular season non-conference schedule. Now in their defense Louisville would normally be a decent opponent. Not great but decent. But this year they were fucking terrible. The Crimson Tide's non-conference schedule had the following ranks in a standard power rating out of 130 FBS teams:

#117, #89, #94, #123*

* - The Citadel would slot in somewhere around 123

Why wasn't this discussed all season? Why wasn't this mentioned as part of the CFP selection process? I mean I know the answer and let's be serious it's not like Alabama didn't deserve a top 2 playoff seed based on the season, but the SEC gets a pass for this kind of bullshit every year.

• Like 2

All three of the following can be true.

1. Saban is the GOAT

2. His current run is historically great

3. He’s caught breaks that other coaches haven’t as mentioned in the OP. He’s been remarkably lucky.

Compare Saban’s run with peak Mack Brown. In terms of talent, Mack has a case for 3 championships instead of just 1. He also “should” have played for a fourth in 2001. There are two big differences; Mack didn’t take advantage of opportunities like Saban has (speaks to Saban’s greatness) and Mack didn’t catch the same breaks (speaks to Saban’s luck). Historically great runs don’t happen without lots of luck and lots of greatness.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

They also need to take away the near automatic bid for undefeated Notre Dame. They simply aren't anywhere close to the same level of play. 

Well I couldn't disagree more. Any undefeated team should get a near automatic bid, but especially one who plays a decent schedule like Notre Dame did.

Edited by Valmy77

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

this thread is fucking embarrassing. 

How so?  Pointing out that he has had his fair share of lucky breaks in championship seasons doesn’t mean that I think they are any less valid.  The fact that they were able to take advantage of those breaks speaks volumes to his coaching ability.  He is still an all time great coach.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Louisville
Arkansas St.
Louisiana-Lafayette
The Citadel

That was Alabama's regular season non-conference schedule. Now in their defense Louisville would normally be a decent opponent. Not great but decent. But this year they were fucking terrible. The Crimson Tide's non-conference schedule had the following ranks in a standard power rating out of 130 FBS teams:

#117, #89, #94, #123*

Why wasn't this discussed all season? Why wasn't this mentioned as part of the CFP selection process? I mean I know the answer and let's be serious it's not like Alabama didn't deserve a top 2 playoff seed based on the season, but the SEC gets a pass for this kind of bullshit every year.

I am kind of surprised to see this. I usually gave Alabama and LSU some credit for playing some tough OOC foes unlike the rest of their league. 

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Louisville
Arkansas St.
Louisiana-Lafayette
The Citadel

#117, #89, #94, #123*

I'd been saying it for the last month -- they didn't beat anybody other than Georgia. Nobody.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Next year's is:

Duke (in Atlanta) "see we played a P5 team!!! We're not from Atlanta this is a road game!!!"
New Mexico St.
Southern Miss
Western Carolina (FCS)

That's embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Worthy of aggy.  I’m embarrassed to be on this thread.

Your a cunt Felix for the neg.

Seems like there has been relatively rational discussion regarding a number of breaks Alabama has benefited from throughout their historic run. People have backed up their points with objective evidence/observations supporting that argument. No one is acting like Aggy. You're aligning yourself with fucking futureman, ffs. This is a shitty take.  

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am kind of surprised to see this. I usually gave Alabama and LSU some credit for playing some tough OOC foes unlike the rest of their league. 

In 2019, Alabama plays Duke at a neutral field, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and Western Fucking Carolina in their non-con. They play hot garbage, 6-win bowl eligible SEC East teams because of SEC cupcake scheduling, in South Carolina and Tennessee. That's their non-SEC West schedule. It's a fucking laughable joke that should mocked non-stop by anyone within spitting distance of a CFB conversation from now until their inevitable #1 CFP seeding and probable public buttfucking again from Clemson or that ilk in December of 2019.

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Seems like there has been relatively rational discussion regarding a number of breaks Alabama has benefited from throughout their historic run. People have backed up their points with objective evidence/observations supporting that argument. No one is acting like Aggy. You're aligning yourself with fucking futureman, ffs. This is a shitty take.  

Aggy is the best at this and we should leave them to it.  IMHO

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

In 2019, Alabama plays Duke at a neutral field, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and Western Fucking Carolina in their non-con. They play hot garbage, 6-win bowl eligible SEC East teams because of SEC cupcake scheduling, in South Carolina and Tennessee. That's their non-SEC West schedule. It's a fucking laughable joke that should mocked non-stop by anyone within spitting distance of a CFB conversation from now until their inevitable #1 CFP seeding and probable public buttfucking again from Clemson or that ilk in December of 2019.

have you seen Clemson's schedule? Their tough game is A&M and they get Mack Brown!  Clemson will be #1 seed, 13-0, heading into the playoffs. 

Yeah that is some Kansas State/Baylor type scheduling and at least those schools had the excuse that they were traditional doormats trying to artificially inflate their winning percentage. Alabama can beat anybody in the country, and they should be scheduling that way.

Just now, NowThis said:

have you seen Clemson's schedule? Their tough game is A&M and they get Mack Brown!  Clemson will be #1 seed, 13-0, heading into the playoffs. 

Hey! They have the 49ers on their schedule.

Wait...Charlotte 49ers? Did something happen in North Carolina in XX49 I am not aware of?

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

I honestly can't object to the effort of at least scheduling a home and home with another name opponent, aggie jokes aside. The ACC is a fucking joke unto itself, but that isn't Clemson's fault. Now, 8 conference games and scheduling doormats like Charlotte and non-FBS teams like Wofford is worthy of mockery, but it's not on a level with what Alabama and much of the rest of the SEC has put together for 2019. That's worthy of its own offseason thread, really - outside of like Georgia (Notre Dame) and LSU (@Texas), most of the other teams don't play a harder schedule than the diarrhea Alabama is slinging out there.

55 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have choked against Iowa State?  Iowa.  State.

as was already implied, but I think many, including you, need to be reminded what happened literally the day before that game. 

The head coach of the womens basketball team (who many on the football team were close to), and an assistant died in a plane crash.  which btw was literally the 2nd time in less than 10 years that Oklahoma State lost coaches and members of their basketball team in a plane crash.

That death grossly impacted the team just before the game.

if it was Bama that had that happen to them, you would be damn sure the media would have kept hyping up that fact and forcing it down our throats as a mitigating factor for being picked as the top 2.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I honestly can't object to the effort of at least scheduling a home and home with another name opponent, aggie jokes aside. The ACC is a fucking joke unto itself, but that isn't Clemson's fault. Now, 8 conference games and scheduling doormats like Charlotte and non-FBS teams like Wofford is worthy of mockery, but it's not on a level with what Alabama and much of the rest of the SEC has put together for 2019. That's worthy of its own offseason thread, really - outside of like Georgia (Notre Dame) and LSU (@Texas), most of the other teams don't play a harder schedule than the diarrhea Alabama is slinging out there.

yes it is

Yeah, Saban has benefitted from the SEC hype in the media.  But the SEC hype would've ended with Tebow if Saban hadn't built what he has at Bama.  And yes, Colt's injury helped him do that.  He's been lucky and he's been great.  But there's no point saying he hasn't been THAT great because he's had some luck along the way.  That's sports.  Golden State won a championship because of an injury a few months ago - doesn't make them any less of a dynasty.

Edited by TexArcher