I caught the cancer

Burt

41 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just a quick check in.  6 radiation treatments and 1 chemo treatment in.  I have learned: 1) radiation sucks; and 2) chemo sucks much worse.  At least so far.  Radiation leaves me feeling tired and nauseous, usually a couple of hours later.  But it wears off.  Problem with radiation is you're back at it the next day, and the next day, etc etc.  Chemo I felt fine for about a day, then felt like I got kicked in the nuts for 3 days.  1/10, would not recommend.  

Good news today was they determined a secondary concerning spot in my larynx is non-cancerous.  If it had been, well, things might have turned bad.  So that's a relief.  

Had planned to work as much as possible, but between all of the appointments and treatments, I'll work-from-home most of the time (although at the office now).  When I tried to rearrange my radiation schedule around some work conflicts, my radiation oncologist looked at me and said "this is your job now."  I just dropped my head and said "yes, ma'am." 

Fight on, dude!  Isn't that what they say at UCLA?  ;)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, Sbbruin said:

Just a quick check in.  6 radiation treatments and 1 chemo treatment in.  I have learned: 1) radiation sucks; and 2) chemo sucks much worse.  At least so far.  Radiation leaves me feeling tired and nauseous, usually a couple of hours later.  But it wears off.  Problem with radiation is you're back at it the next day, and the next day, etc etc.  Chemo I felt fine for about a day, then felt like I got kicked in the nuts for 3 days.  1/10, would not recommend.  

Good news today was they determined a secondary concerning spot in my larynx is non-cancerous.  If it had been, well, things might have turned bad.  So that's a relief.  

Had planned to work as much as possible, but between all of the appointments and treatments, I'll work-from-home most of the time (although at the office now).  When I tried to rearrange my radiation schedule around some work conflicts, my radiation oncologist looked at me and said "this is your job now."  I just dropped my head and said "yes, ma'am." 

You're gonna get through this fine and one day you'll be that wiry old man hiking the Camino de Santiago for the 4th time telling all the fat-ass 20-year-olds who stopped because they're tired "Tired! I bucked the Big C back when there was no miracle pill! You can do it, C'mon!" And they believe you and then stagger off blindly into a ditch, from which you rescue them, all the time blathering about your damn long-ago cancer.

I do notice some mild brain-damage side-effect where you were going on about work. You are now free to eat bonbons in your underwear and jerk it to Oprah reruns, you freak. Do whatever you ever wanted to.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Radiation leaves me feeling tired and nauseous, usually a couple of hours later.  But it wears off.  Problem with radiation is you're back at it the next day, and the next day, etc etc.  Chemo I felt fine for about a day, then felt like I got kicked in the nuts for 3 days.  1/10, would not recommend.  

71EFE021-B391-4CB1-9DC1-430F98C687A3.jpeg.162c54f2ab5c3b841a66def7df4065db.jpeg

…my radiation oncologist looked at me and said "this is your job now."  I just dropped my head and said "yes, ma'am." 

Rules SB.  Surly haz dem

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

my radiation oncologist looked at me and said "this is your job now."  I just dropped my head and said "yes, ma'am." 

Yeah. Sometimes it just sucks. One day at a time. I know guys have this thing sometimes about crying and stiff upper lip and all that? But, I will say that on those days after treatment when I woke up and was all FML and feeling low and tired and miserable--a hearty few moments of just rolling with it with a movie or music or something and it was bearable for the rest of the day. Find your jam and know that we're rooting for you and here to listen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You'd appreciate this.  Wore this today to radiation (and chemo) appt today.  Got lots of props.  Wife got it for me.  Bless her heart.

Radioactive man shirt.jpg

Fuck yes. See if you hadn’t gotten cancer then wearing the shirt wouldnt be as cool/funny. Silver linings!!

jk. Keeping fucking up cancer’s shit. 

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You'd appreciate this.  Wore this today to radiation (and chemo) appt today.  Got lots of props.  Wife got it for me.  Bless her heart.

Radioactive man shirt.jpg

The goggles, they do nothing!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So I had this kidney tumor taken out in 2018, and they figured they got it all.

Then they saw "interesting" little lumps on my right ribcage in another scan.

I told them they were silly-- I was play swordfighting (fencing, epee) pretty savagely at the time, and that was the area where you'd get dinged by fancy rebar, ie the blunted swords. Doctors are so silly.

Then in late 2020, some other shit came to light, and they found a few random metastasized kidney cells like, near my jaw. Well OK.

Turns out that the original tumor, in its final days of the Collapse of the Third Reich of Tumors, had sent devoted cells to hide in Argentina (my ribs) and then a few of those were getting active and spreading like all o'er the place. 

Googled Stage 4 Kidney Cancer. Google said "Mothafucka you dead." I was surprised but those were Google's actual words.

I just went through the motions doing what the doctors said. Pet Scan actually wasn't as bad as I feared-- instead of racks of pulsating tumors, I had some little carpenter bees drilling here and there.

That's when I got the Voodoo Juice, ie Keytruda infusions every three weeks, and 6 to 10 mg of Inlyta pills every day. Only been in use for a short time. Expensive as hell, quick go marry a woman with good insurance. The Keytruda acts like a spotlight so my own immune system can spot cancer cells who usually glide about all sneaky, and the pills are like little Berserker Dwarf Warriors that charge through my body's passageways killing cancer plus the occasional regular cell. It's fun.

It can have lots of inconvenient side-effects. Not as bad as traditional Chemo, and I luckily haven't gotten every single one at once. Landed on the Shart thread at least once, and in August 2021 my feet swole up so I could barely walk, but it's better at the moment and who cares, those rowdy drugs are murdering cancer.

I have been extremely fortunate in the past year and a half. Good results immediately, the big lumps (almost an inch across) became medium lumps, and the small scattered stuff went poof. Then it made them a wee bit smaller, and for months it stayed stable.

Hey, can't die from cancer if it's not growing.

Then this past June was hell. Had some kind of flu, seemed Covid-y but tests were negative. My ass barely ate, lost 12 pounds. Sodium tanked, did 5 days in the hospital recovering. They figured out that my own immune system had mistakenly taking a bite out of my one adrenal gland, and I was headed towards an "adrenal crisis" where I'd maybe go into a seizure and start flipping around on the floor scaring little kids and stuff. So they got me jacked up on Hydrocortisone tablets, which are cheap and available all over the world.

I read Keith Richards' book "Life" and now I live like Keef, purist drugs possible, taken like shifting gears in a car. Kinda fun and I feel 36 instead of 86 (DL says 61.)

Oh, and the other thing that my immune system tore into? The remaining cancer. The former "big" one is 8mm across, 1/3 of an inch. Today Doc told me that soon we might experiment with dropping the infusions soon because she thinks my ravenous immune system is now wide awake and tearing into that last bit on its own.

Cry havoc and release the immune system of war.

So yeah, this thing could stop working. They could find toenail Aids next week or maybe the Alien Baby busts out my gut. But at my last scan, cancer was getting the shit beat out of it.

So when you get cancer, this ain't 1950s soap opera cancer. Google don't know shit. Real smart kids are cooking up voodoo magic every year to help you and me.

And of course @Nicole44 doesn't have to, but after all the time it took me to type that, it'd be kinda cool if she PMd me a photo or two. For artistic appreciation. :)

Good on ya.  Always better to get cancer at least two years after you actually do.  Treatment likely will have changed drastically in that short time.

• Drool 1

Just now, dcbc said:

Good on ya.  Always better to get cancer at least two years after you actually do.  Treatment likely will have changed drastically in that short time.

When I met my oncologist, she laid out all the drugs past and present, explained what our first and second choices were, and that our reasonable goal was to live life on those until the third and fourth treatments get invented. She said that for anybody in fairly good health (other than cancer, naturally,) you've got a really good shot at being that old dude one day who's had a little of this or that cancer.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I met my oncologist, she laid out all the drugs past and present, explained what our first and second choices were, and that our reasonable goal was to live life on those until the third and fourth treatments get invented. She said that for anybody in fairly good health (other than cancer, naturally,) you've got a really good shot at being that old dude one day who's had a little of this or that cancer.

A great oncologist, who tells it like it is, is such a great thing (ask my wife and I) and hopefully isn't as rare a creature as I have imagined them to be.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

So I had this kidney tumor taken out in 2018, and they figured they got it all.

Then they saw "interesting" little lumps on my right ribcage in another scan.

I told them they were silly-- I was play swordfighting (fencing, epee) pretty savagely at the time, and that was the area where you'd get dinged by fancy rebar, ie the blunted swords. Doctors are so silly.

Then in late 2020, some other shit came to light, and they found a few random metastasized kidney cells like, near my jaw. Well OK.

Turns out that the original tumor, in its final days of the Collapse of the Third Reich of Tumors, had sent devoted cells to hide in Argentina (my ribs) and then a few of those were getting active and spreading like all o'er the place. 

Googled Stage 4 Kidney Cancer. Google said "Mothafucka you dead." I was surprised but those were Google's actual words.

I just went through the motions doing what the doctors said. Pet Scan actually wasn't as bad as I feared-- instead of racks of pulsating tumors, I had some little carpenter bees drilling here and there.

That's when I got the Voodoo Juice, ie Keytruda infusions every three weeks, and 6 to 10 mg of Inlyta pills every day. Only been in use for a short time. Expensive as hell, quick go marry a woman with good insurance. The Keytruda acts like a spotlight so my own immune system can spot cancer cells who usually glide about all sneaky, and the pills are like little Berserker Dwarf Warriors that charge through my body's passageways killing cancer plus the occasional regular cell. It's fun.

It can have lots of inconvenient side-effects. Not as bad as traditional Chemo, and I luckily haven't gotten every single one at once. Landed on the Shart thread at least once, and in August 2021 my feet swole up so I could barely walk, but it's better at the moment and who cares, those rowdy drugs are murdering cancer.

I have been extremely fortunate in the past year and a half. Good results immediately, the big lumps (almost an inch across) became medium lumps, and the small scattered stuff went poof. Then it made them a wee bit smaller, and for months it stayed stable.

Hey, can't die from cancer if it's not growing.

Then this past June was hell. Had some kind of flu, seemed Covid-y but tests were negative. My ass barely ate, lost 12 pounds. Sodium tanked, did 5 days in the hospital recovering. They figured out that my own immune system had mistakenly taking a bite out of my one adrenal gland, and I was headed towards an "adrenal crisis" where I'd maybe go into a seizure and start flipping around on the floor scaring little kids and stuff. So they got me jacked up on Hydrocortisone tablets, which are cheap and available all over the world.

I read Keith Richards' book "Life" and now I live like Keef, purist drugs possible, taken like shifting gears in a car. Kinda fun and I feel 36 instead of 86 (DL says 61.)

Oh, and the other thing that my immune system tore into? The remaining cancer. The former "big" one is 8mm across, 1/3 of an inch. Today Doc told me that soon we might experiment with dropping the infusions soon because she thinks my ravenous immune system is now wide awake and tearing into that last bit on its own.

Cry havoc and release the immune system of war.

So yeah, this thing could stop working. They could find toenail Aids next week or maybe the Alien Baby busts out my gut. But at my last scan, cancer was getting the shit beat out of it.

So when you get cancer, this ain't 1950s soap opera cancer. Google don't know shit. Real smart kids are cooking up voodoo magic every year to help you and me.

And of course @Nicole44 doesn't have to, but after all the time it took me to type that, it'd be kinda cool if she PMd me a photo or two. For artistic appreciation. :)

Bingo.  Read this one after the other one.  RD, sounds gnarly and stoked it sounds like your system is taking over the fight.  I really really hope we are on the cusp of making cancer our bitch.  Fucker has had the upper hand for centuries.  

094FF4DD-A3BC-47CA-8374-65FE20944136.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My really close friend, who has been a great source of comfort for me,is going in for his second brain surgery tomorrow to remove a second tumor, or what they can.  Side note he is a lifelong Trojan who is doing this at UCLA, even though his first surgery and chemo/radiation were at Keck/USC.  Anyway, he is using an immunotherapy trial.  Keytruda.  Did an infusion last week.  Then surgery tomorrow.  Then another infusion a week later.  It is supposed to trigger the body’s own immune system to attack the cancer.on its own.  And the trials are incredibly promising.  He was certainly terminal.  It’s the type of cancer that will never stop growing.  It was just a matter of how much they could keep it tamped down, and what kind of quality of life he’d be looking at.  Now there’s real hope.  At for years, instead of months.  Keep him in your thoughts. While it’s not rocket science, it is brain surgery, which ain’t pretty.

Pops had it in his plura and couldn’t do chemo due to it already killing his kidneys from the initial sarcoma treatment in his leg, and radiation was too harsh there. Keytruda Saved him on that, within a month he was on his way to bouncing back. Shit came back as a lime size brain tumor 6-8 mos later, neurosurgeons popped that bitch out. Couple years worth of opdiva infusions and he’s essentially in remission now, and that’s without kidneys throughout it all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just saw this thread had progressed significantly since Burt’s skin cancer.

Sbb, really sorry to hear about your situation but hoping you kick its ass. You’re the most consistent Dodgers fan here and I need someone to give internet high fives to when we win it again. And as someone would like a sailboat and often ponders relocating to Cali, you’re living a good life in my book. Beat this thing and keep on livin.

RD, thanks for sharing your story and you tell it so well. Inspiring stuff. Keep up the good fight.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

Good luck @Sbbruin, but fuck all sports LA based. I hope the Lakers, , Angels Dodgers, Kings, Rams, Trojans, and Bruins lose very game they play...but I hope you kick cancer's ass!

Thanks.  Tony Gonselin isn’t losing any games.  11-0.  Dodgers baby!

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I sent her a dick pic and she sent back a bunch of photos.  Accompanying pm said, “I’ll do ANYTHING not to get another pic from you!”

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, that's  a wrap on chemo and radiation.  That was not a fun ride at all.  Chemo is some bullshit.  Feeling pretty beat up but looking forward to bouncing back over the next week or two.  And looking forward to not driving to City of Hope every single weekday.    Will get some scans in a month or so to see how things went and then to start mapping the surgery plan.  But phase I complete.
e683bbf8439adb167e23e8aa538aaea0.jpg

Man, looks like a diploma mill. I hope you didn't take out a student loan for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Boy, if I ever need to crank up my rep I’ll just get cancer.  Just kidding Bruin, congratulations on getting through phase 1, and now kick ass on phase 2.  We need our Fucking Catalina Wine Mixer correspondent back on duty as soon as is medically responsible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, that's  a wrap on chemo and radiation.  That was not a fun ride at all.  Chemo is some bullshit.  Feeling pretty beat up but looking forward to bouncing back over the next week or two.  And looking forward to not driving to City of Hope every single weekday.    Will get some scans in a month or so to see how things went and then to start mapping the surgery plan.  But phase I complete.

I guess everyone gets an award now. 

Jk…. Super happy for you buddy. 

• Haha 1

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

YARN | ...I award you the Triple Cross. | The Wizard of Oz | Video gifs by  quotes | 117e98ad | 紗

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Well, put me on the list.  I had COVID a month ago. I had some residual symptoms like a cough and some fatigue, so I chalked it up to Long COVID.  Mid last week, I had some other random symptoms, came to Seton and they diagnosed me with leukemia.

I was immediately admitted and have been here ever since.  Started a 7 day Chemo protocol on Tuesday.  I then have to stay here for a few weeks as I will have zero immune system. They’re wiping all of it out and hopefully it rebuilds.  So, I’ll be in the same fucking room for 4+ weeks total.  It’s fucking crazy.  So out of nowhere.  

I’m 40 and in good shape, so I hope that helps my long term chances.  Sounds like 50/50 I’ll need a bone marrow transplant.  They’ve also had really big advances in targeting certain leukemia types the last 2-3 years, so that’s good for me as well

i have a wife and two kids (5 and 2) at home and not being able to come home to see them every day is heartbreaking.  I really hope this regiment goes well and I can do some out patient care in the future as needed.

Wow, rooting for you, Stringer. We need a hug emoji.  

Sounds like they aren't messing around with the intensity of your treatment, so a better sign than many of the apathy/misdiagnosis stories I've heard. I guess you're in Austin, so let us know if any of us surlies can do anything.

19 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Well, put me on the list.  I had COVID a month ago. I had some residual symptoms like a cough and some fatigue, so I chalked it up to Long COVID.  Mid last week, I had some other random symptoms, came to Seton and they diagnosed me with leukemia.

I was immediately admitted and have been here ever since.  Started a 7 day Chemo protocol on Tuesday.  I then have to stay here for a few weeks as I will have zero immune system. They’re wiping all of it out and hopefully it rebuilds.  So, I’ll be in the same fucking room for 4+ weeks total.  It’s fucking crazy.  So out of nowhere.  

I’m 40 and in good shape, so I hope that helps my long term chances.  Sounds like 50/50 I’ll need a bone marrow transplant.  They’ve also had really big advances in targeting certain leukemia types the last 2-3 years, so that’s good for me as well

i have a wife and two kids (5 and 2) at home and not being able to come home to see them every day is heartbreaking.  I really hope this regiment goes well and I can do some out patient care in the future as needed.

Dude, so very sorry to hear that.  Buckle up and go at it.  It’ll suck, but there’s a horizon and you’ll get there.  Pulling hard for you.

• Like 1