Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Good girl, Dakota.  Good girl.  Sorry to hear that, trader.

The mutt is pretty much stone deaf these days.  I try and make sure not to sneak up on her before giving her a good rub and getting a tail wag and lean.  I used to be able to talk to her and get a wag and usually a roll, but those days are gone.  It's coming.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, Biff Tannen said:

MRI normal.

We had a dog years ago (terrier mutt mix, rescue) that would just kind of randomly get seizures. We only actually witnessed a handful at most over a period of 5 or so years, probably had some we never saw. Vets could never find anything wrong, dog lived to a ripe old age. Seizures lasted maybe a minute (but seemed lot longer)  and she would recover pretty quickly. Half an hour later, back to normal.

vets told us the seizures look a lot worse than they are.

Anyway, hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornstrader said:

After 13 years of what we hope was a great life, our beloved baby girl Dakota crossed the Rainbow Bridge about an hour ago. Lab/Rottie mix who was the smartest, sweetest dog that has ever been part of our family. Cancer and arthritis combination took her down rapidly over the last 48-72 hours.

You know this day is coming when you bring a dog into your family but this never gets any easier no matter how many times you have gone through it before. Can't bring myself to take her Christmas stocking down.

Hook Em baby girl and feel no more pain as you chase all the balls through big green fields, eat all the cheeseburgers and fuss at all the other dogs playing bitey face.

God speed Dakota.  We still put up our stocking for our dog we lost 7 years ago.  It will go up every year, as will his brothers when they pass.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

God speed Dakota.  We still put up our stocking for our dog we lost 7 years ago.  It will go up every year, as will his brothers when they pass.

We added a stocking for Jax this year. Lots of bones and IOUs for peanut butter cookies. 

I don’t believe in god for humans I do for dogs. god bless Dakota.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, Hornstrader said:

After 13 years of what we hope was a great life, our beloved baby girl Dakota crossed the Rainbow Bridge about an hour ago. Lab/Rottie mix who was the smartest, sweetest dog that has ever been part of our family. Cancer and arthritis combination took her down rapidly over the last 48-72 hours.

You know this day is coming when you bring a dog into your family but this never gets any easier no matter how many times you have gone through it before. Can't bring myself to take her Christmas stocking down.

Hook Em baby girl and feel no more pain as you chase all the balls through big green fields, eat all the cheeseburgers and fuss at all the other dogs playing bitey face.

Give 'em hell up there, Dakota.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Fuga said:

One of the most thought provoking things I've heard in ages.

I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't deserve the absolute best - even the dog that attacked our Jax is a sweet soul that is on a second home due to abandonment (fuck that guy). I've met thousands of humans, and I can probably count on less than two hands the number of those humans that deserve much of anything. and I'm pretty sure the last chapter in my life will involve more dogs, more fish, more water, more sun-chasing and a WHOLE LOT LESS human interaction. so it very well may be my religion - all dogs go to heaven, all humans suck (present company excluded of course).

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, troph said:

I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't deserve the absolute best - even the dog that attacked our Jax is a sweet soul that is on a second home due to abandonment (fuck that guy). I've met thousands of humans, and I can probably count on less than two hands the number of those humans that deserve much of anything. and I'm pretty sure the last chapter in my life will involve more dogs, more fish, more water, more sun-chasing and a WHOLE LOT LESS human interaction. so it very well may be my religion - all dogs go to heaven, all humans suck (present company excluded of course).

I was going to say that your opinion of "most" humans may correspond to the amount of time you spend on Surly.  But we don't suck.  We're just dog-loving assholes. :) 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1