Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

55 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well, Pepper is home but we don't know how bad the news is yet.  CT scan showed her liver is smaller than it should be, indicating potential liver damage.  Also, 2 lymph nodes were swollen so they took aspirate from the liver and lymph nodes.  Should have those results today.  Depending on those results, we might need to do a liver biopsy.  

No chance she got into something toxic, like a Sago Palm, by chance? 

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope.  We don't have any houseplants she could get into.  And they said if this was an acute injury, her liver would be swollen but it isn't.  Not looking super promising, TBH.

Hmm...I'm not a vet, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but a smaller liver is one of the symptoms of an acquired shunt or shunts, as well as the loss off appetite, lethargy, etc., and are usually caused by toxicity, which could have happened in the past, to the liver, or any disease which causes liver scarring, as the body has to make alternative routes for the blood flow, and the shunts would bypass the liver, causing it to shrink in size. If it's a shunt or shunts, they should be able to see it on the CT Scan. Good news, if it that, there are numerous treatment options, from surgery, to meds, to dietary changes.  

I'd mention it to the vet. I was a bit shocked how many vets I dealt with who didn't really know what they were looking at. I made a lot of vet visits until Blue finally almost died one night and I lucked into a vet at the emergency clinic who knew exactly was he was dealing with. 

50 minutes ago, Deej said:

Hmm...I'm not a vet, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but a smaller liver is one of the symptoms of an acquired shunt or shunts, as well as the loss off appetite, lethargy, etc., and are usually caused by toxicity, which could have happened in the past, to the liver, or any disease which causes liver scarring, as the body has to make alternative routes for the blood flow, and the shunts would bypass the liver, causing it to shrink in size. If it's a shunt or shunts, they should be able to see it on the CT Scan. Good news, if it that, there are numerous treatment options, from surgery, to meds, to dietary changes.  

I'd mention it to the vet. I was a bit shocked how many vets I dealt with who didn't really know what they were looking at. I made a lot of vet visits until Blue finally almost died one night and I lucked into a vet at the emergency clinic who knew exactly was he was dealing with. 

Vet specifically discussed shunts with us yesterday.  Said they did not see any on the CT, nor did they see any of the extra blood vessels that would indicate a shunt.  Aspirate of the liver came back today and there is no evidence of liver cancer, so that's good.  The aspirates of the lymph nodes had too little blood in them.  So we're going back tomorrow for aspirates of the lymph nodes again as well as the stomach lining.  Probably do a liver biopsy next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Vet specifically discussed shunts with us yesterday.  Said they did not see any on the CT, nor did they see any of the extra blood vessels that would indicate a shunt.  Aspirate of the liver came back today and there is no evidence of liver cancer, so that's good.  The aspirates of the lymph nodes had too little blood in them.  So we're going back tomorrow for aspirates of the lymph nodes again as well as the stomach lining.  Probably do a liver biopsy next week.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Got some bad news on Pepper yesterday.  She's got end stage liver disease.  No treatment and they think we have weeks, or maybe a couple of months, left with her.  I'm just crushed.  Hug your pets, everyone.  A week + ago she was her normal self.  Now she's got a few weeks left to live.  We're going to spoil the shit out of her for as long as we have her around.  I'm about out of tears at this point.

Sorry to hear that man.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Damn. That sucks. Give her all the love. 

Had a lab once that was the picture of health. Big, strong, full of energy...then out of the blue was struggling to make it across the room. Took him in to the vet and he found a tumor had grown around his heart. Took him home for one last night before taking him back to be put down. In the yard the next morning to load him in the car, I threw his tennis ball one last time for him and he burned down the yard after it and ran all the way back, dropping it at my feet, tail wagging 100 miles an hour, before he just laid down and had to be carried to the car, but he had one final moment getting to do what he loved best.

Find that thing for her. 

Yeah, we were planning on staying in Denver this weekend, but she loves the snow.  Might have to go up to the mountains this weekend.  Just got over a foot up there today.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Damn. That sucks. Give her all the love. 

Had a lab once that was the picture of health. Big, strong, full of energy...then out of the blue was struggling to make it across the room. Took him in to the vet and he found a tumor had grown around his heart. Took him home for one last night before taking him back to be put down. In the yard the next morning to load him in the car, I threw his tennis ball one last time for him and he burned down the yard after it and ran all the way back, dropping it at my feet, tail wagging 100 miles an hour, before he just laid down and had to be carried to the car, but he had one final moment getting to do what he loved best.

Find that thing for her. 

God damn dust.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, mchookem said:

gotdamn the last two pages got me in the feels 💔

🤘 to all the good boys/girls lost. so hard and so worth it, every time. 

dammit, i really need a new dog! 😒

Do it. We are long time Scottie owners and after last passed we decided rescue only. I (wife wasn’t so sure) decided 2 from same place of any breed. 2 Jack Russell’s later could not be happier. My only wish is they outlast me so I never have go thru that again. 

Edited by Shaddie

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Damn I miss my Jack Russell. We lost him in 16 at 17. He never slowed down until his last day. He woke up, wasn’t right, took to vet, and she just said it’s his time. Best dog we ever had. We got him at 6 when our son got deployed and he never left my wife’s side. So fucking smart and entertaining. As long as you stay engaged with your two and give them jobs they will be the best dogs you ever had.

Here’s Buddy. Ready for food, ball chasing, hide and seek, a walk, food, action.
1a1324bc8e952c47ab59dedfccc7252c.jpg

It’s funny, 1 is still shy around guys but we are slowly getting used to each other. Younger 1 is a stupid, dumbass, snuggle bunny. I swear she has never met a stranger. Her thing is finding an acorn in the backyard and rolls it for hours like a rat. They also play with each other for hours at a time. Sometimes at 5am during my 1st coffee. Ughhhhh. Could not be happier.

• Like 1

Well, I guess my dog is not so awesome. He bit my MIL pretty badly earlier. He was out in front yard and I didn’t know she was coming over. He was amped up due to some workers in the street and she confronted him right at the invisible fence line and he chomped her and got shocked at the same time so he really clamped down.

Anyone dealt with a biting dog? Luckily she’s not the litigious type.

29 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Would anyone object to you having your MIL put down? 

Buzzrock: “I understand if y’all are gonna have to euthanize”

Animal control: “well I don’t think he really is a threat to bite any other people. Was just a weird scenario that ended up with an unfortunate result.”

Buzzrock: “Not the fucking dog! Are you fucking nuts?  I’m talking about my gotdamn mother in law!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone got any dog food advice? Our usual has gone way up in price the last couple years and seems to be hard to find.

We really need something great for joint health since Layla has arthritis and all three are large breed. Any recs?

I don't know about arthritis, but the WalMart branded Pro Balance with chicken and rice is good for a decent price.  They have other combos at various prices.  But the ingredients are good.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

ive been buying fish oil supplements for my now 13 year old lab for the last 5 years.  she also get glucosamine as well. 

60 lb lab.  she gets 3000Mg of DHA (Omega oils) and 1000Mg of Glucosamine every day.  its normally 3 Omega pills and 1 Glucosamine pill per day.

costs about $24 for 60 days worth of Omega oils  and $10 for 90 days worth of Glucosamine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone got any dog food advice? Our usual has gone way up in price the last couple years and seems to be hard to find.

We really need something great for joint health since Layla has arthritis and all three are large breed. Any recs?

The turkey and venison Purina one is great for Indy, and I add in a glucosamine and chondroitin chew for good measure. He's not old, but he's a dumbass and has sprained a ligament playing too hard lol. The chews definitely make a big difference for Po though. If he missed a couple days while friends are watching him, it really shows in how active he's willing to get 

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn't sound like he's a biter, just a series of unfortunate coincidences.

Unfortunately it’s not the only time he’s done it. He is aggressive on leash and he bit one of our neighbors once about 18 months ago when I was trying to restrain him while the neighbor bent down and got in his face to pet him. I’m worried that one day he’ll do it to the wrong person: I know of someone a few miles away who was successfully sued for $1.2M and now has to buy homeowners insurance on the secondary market.

We’re going to talk to a trainer tomorrow. I don’t know how that’s going to go or if you can really change who a dog is. I have a good friend in a similar situation who had a trainer tell him that he should have the dog put down. He built a fence instead.

I don’t like the idea of not letting Samson around people any more but I don’t like the alternative either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We picked Sebastian up from his three weeks at boarding school on Friday.  I’m very pleased with the results.  He is much calmer.  Doesn’t jump on people, or nip when playing which we’re both things he did constantly.  Being half Husky walking him was a real chore as he would try and pull you around the neighborhood.  Now he heels on command and doesn’t get out of control when he sees a squirrel, cat, or another dog.  He is now very gentle with my daughter’s chihuahua, and I can leave them both in the backyard together without  her being terrified.  He also sits and stays.  Here he is practicing his staying at the end of our walk today.

A1BCE76B-6CF0-4517-B184-6F2CCA77A9AE.jpeg