Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

There's a terrier in our neighborhood in the mountains named Dougal that is gonna get killed by Bruce one of these days.  They let him roam freely (neighborhood is all 2+ acre lots) and he's a fucking asshole.  He's dog aggressive and people aggressive.  Tries to sneak up behind you to bite you and/or your dog, tries to ambush you, etc.  I fucking hate this dog.  Bruce hates him, too.  A few weeks ago, we were on a walk going by their house and Dougal comes tearing up the hill at us, barking and growling.  Bruce (who is leashed) starts going bananas trying to get after him.  It takes everything I have to hold back this 140# dog when he's pissed off.  Dougal stays just outside of Bruce's reach, but keeps snarling, tries to circle around us to get at him from behind, etc.  The owner finally comes up the hill and grabs Dougal because Bruce isn't moving as long as Dougal is there.  He tries to laugh it off and I just told him point blank "Bruce doesn't like him.  And if Bruce ever gets ahold of him I'm not going to be responsible.  My dog is leashed, yours isn't."  I hate that little fucker.  Want to punt him every time I see him.

When I was a kid, a neighbor had miniature poodles she let run loose. They were awful. One used to always fuck with another neighbor's Great Dane until the Great Dane finally had enough and bit that little dog clean in half. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No, Tiny Clyde is fixed. He just wants to mark, especially inside places he has never been. It is annoying as hell to have to keep after him to not stop, and keep him close because I know what he'll do if I don't.

He is already a high steppin' twink but I'm fixing to buy him diapers so I don't have to fuss with his bullshit little dog tendencies anymore. He is great at bars where he stays quietly on my lap with his front paws on the bar. He loves people, especially little kids. He is just a gotdamn pisser. I sure wish I knew a way to curb it without going diapers on him. 

• Like 1

Folks that do not take dog ownership seriously need to be put into reeducation camps. I am ok with off leash dogs IF they are of the slobbery/gentle/gimme da petz type. Which to be honest is a good portion of puppers. I will never complain about a dog with a waggy tail and smile on its face approaching me. There is a fine line between that and a either way too excitable dog that can knock my kid down or a literal aggressive animal. Assess the behavior of your dog and act accordingly. People should not have to feel imperiled just bc you are a lazy, irresponsible douchebag. Not to mention that some folks have a legitimate fear of dogs and would rather be covered in spiders than have a k9 approach them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Folks that do not take dog ownership seriously need to be put into reeducation camps. I am ok with off leash dogs IF they are of the slobbery/gentle/gimme da petz type. Which to be honest is a good portion of puppers. I will never complain about a dog with a waggy tail and smile on its face approaching me. There is a fine line between that and a either way too excitable dog that can knock my kid down or a literal aggressive animal. Assess the behavior of your dog and act accordingly. People should not have to feel imperiled just bc you are a lazy, irresponsible douchebag. Not to mention that some folks have a legitimate fear of dogs and would rather be covered in spiders than have a k9 approach them. 
As a delivery driver, almost every day is an encounter or 10 with loose dogs on properties - even in town. Nothing like having an off-leash pit bull barking aggressively in the driveway when you're trying to deliver. When you find your package tossed haphazardly into the yard, don't complain. Tie up your dog.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:
35 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

As a delivery driver, almost every day is an encounter or 10 with loose dogs on properties - even in town. Nothing like having an off-leash pit bull barking aggressively in the driveway when you're trying to deliver. When you find your package tossed haphazardly into the yard, don't complain. Tie up your dog.

• Haha 1

My JRT is a mix.. but when he sees a threat he goes full Leeroy Jenkins..... except the one time he actually caught up to the bird he was chasing. It didn't run in time and he could've eviscerated it, but he just stood there barking and had no idea what to do. He has the killer instinct but has a gentle soul. It's what we should all aspire to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Biff can use some positive vibes tonight. We went out of town and his caretakers left out a bag of dark chocolate covered espresso beans and then went to San Antonio. Thank god we checked the pup cam we just put up a few weeks ago and saw that he had gotten into them. Called my parents and told them to come grab him and take him to the emergency vet. 

They induced vomiting and it seems like he SHOULD be ok, but he’s staying overnight at the vet for observation. Poor little guy. 

Vet is calling me in the morning with an update. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I’ll bet he’s just fine. Had a dog get a 9x13 pan of brownies off of the kitchen counter one time. 
My favorite dog/chocolate story involves my rescued pit bull/ Catahoula and my little nieces. They love coming out to my place and making a campfire to roast hot dogs and make s’mores. I tended to something else for a while and when I came back, they were making s’mores for my dog just as fast as he could eat them. “Uncle Kenny, Blue LOVES s’mores!”  Damn dog’s face was covered in melted chocolate and marshmallows. 
I live in a rural, agrarian area where intensive pet care is not an option. Dog was just fine, and he will not leave the girls’ side when they come visit. 😊

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’ll bet he’s just fine. Had a dog get a 9x13 pan of brownies off of the kitchen counter one time. 
My favorite dog/chocolate story involves my rescued pit bull/ Catahoula and my little nieces. They love coming out to my place and making a campfire to roast hot dogs and make s’mores. I tended to something else for a while and when I came back, they were making s’mores for my dog just as fast as he could eat them. “Uncle Kenny, Blue LOVES s’mores!”  Damn dog’s face was covered in melted chocolate and marshmallows. 
I live in a rural, agrarian area where intensive pet care is not an option. Dog was just fine, and he will not leave the girls’ side when they come visit. 😊

Dark chocolate is a whole different ballgame. Milk chocolate is usually not a big deal. Oreos aren’t real chocolate, thank god, because Biff has eaten an entire package of those before. 

But dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate can be real bad. Either way, glad he’s ok. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, burntorangebongos said:

No, Tiny Clyde is fixed. He just wants to mark, especially inside places he has never been. It is annoying as hell to have to keep after him to not stop, and keep him close because I know what he'll do if I don't.

He is already a high steppin' twink but I'm fixing to buy him diapers so I don't have to fuss with his bullshit little dog tendencies anymore. He is great at bars where he stays quietly on my lap with his front paws on the bar. He loves people, especially little kids. He is just a gotdamn pisser. I sure wish I knew a way to curb it without going diapers on him. 

Rename him VP (for Vladmir Putin) 

So, Blue has been on normal dog food for about 4 months. I had cancelled the auto-ship on her prescription food for her liver shunt, as the vet thought it would be OK at this point. Well, they shipped another bag out accidentally. I contacted them and they refunded my money and told me to just dispose of the bag. I started feeding it to Blue, again. (That's disposing of it, right?)

I think I made a mistake. Three days back on it and she's going nuts. So much energy. Maybe she wasn't ready to be off of it. Low energy Blue was much more tolerable, though. 😆

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

terriers are stone cold killers

My late Jack Russell would kill anything that crossed it. He massacred a fucking raccoon larger than him. He had a scratch; it was in pieces. I took him to the vet for a near shave to find hidden bites as i had visions of Yeller. The coon had some severed pieces like a couple of feet.

He killed and ate lizards. Stood his ground with a water mocassin until my wife kilt it. Squirrels were too fast. Caught several field rats. Cats knewbto stay the fick away. All in the back yard.

However he never had an issue with any other dogs and loved being with them. Or people. Just wildlife.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, after begrudgingly giving in and getting the daughters a small dog, I am now admitting that he is my dog. Had a bout of food poisoning yesterday and he got me through it, keeping my pillow and stomach warm. 

image.thumb.jpeg.38de1275dffbb9fd7288eb7c0f0a1e2e.jpeg

Give dogs attention and direction and you’ll be their alpha.  The bond is primal and the alliance is for life.  They want you to lead and love them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, after begrudgingly giving in and getting the daughters a small dog, I am now admitting that he is my dog. Had a bout of food poisoning yesterday and he got me through it, keeping my pillow and stomach warm. 

image.thumb.jpeg.38de1275dffbb9fd7288eb7c0f0a1e2e.jpeg

I've never had very large dogs at any point in my life (English cocker was the biggest), and I know it's supposed to be manly to have a big massive beast or whatever, but there's just something about the grit and fierce loyalty I've seen in small dogs that impresses the hell out of me.  Plus there's just something comforting about when they lay on your tummy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, Chewbacca said:

There's a terrier in our neighborhood in the mountains named Dougal that is gonna get killed by Bruce one of these days.  They let him roam freely (neighborhood is all 2+ acre lots) and he's a fucking asshole.  He's dog aggressive and people aggressive.  Tries to sneak up behind you to bite you and/or your dog, tries to ambush you, etc.  I fucking hate this dog.  Bruce hates him, too.  A few weeks ago, we were on a walk going by their house and Dougal comes tearing up the hill at us, barking and growling.  Bruce (who is leashed) starts going bananas trying to get after him.  It takes everything I have to hold back this 140# dog when he's pissed off.  Dougal stays just outside of Bruce's reach, but keeps snarling, tries to circle around us to get at him from behind, etc.  The owner finally comes up the hill and grabs Dougal because Bruce isn't moving as long as Dougal is there.  He tries to laugh it off and I just told him point blank "Bruce doesn't like him.  And if Bruce ever gets ahold of him I'm not going to be responsible.  My dog is leashed, yours isn't."  I hate that little fucker.  Want to punt him every time I see him.

This is 100% a terrier trait.  Frank, my fox terrier, did this a lot until after he turned 2.  Never to my wife and I, but to visitors.  

The little fuckers think everything is their domain, and everyone who enters is a threat.  They're basically Mac in Always Sunny.  What we figured out with Frank is that any time someone new comes into the house, we hand them one of his balls (the fucker will play fetch every waking minute if you let him), they play a couple of rounds of fetch, and then they're in Frank's good graces.

He's still scared of little kids though.  Trying to figure that one out yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've never had very large dogs at any point in my life (English cocker was the biggest), and I know it's supposed to be manly to have a big massive beast or whatever, but there's just something about the grit and fierce loyalty I've seen in small dogs that impresses the hell out of me.  Plus there's just something comforting about when they lay on your tummy.

For us, one largish medium sized dog and one small dog has been the sweet spot.  The big ones will lie on your tummy since they don't know they're big anymore than the small ones think they are small.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

For us, one largish medium sized dog and one small dog has been the sweet spot.  The big ones will lie on your tummy since they don't know they're big anymore than the small ones think they are small.

My vizsla is totally comfortable being a lap dog.  No one else thinks it’s funny though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is 100% a terrier trait.  Frank, my fox terrier, did this a lot until after he turned 2.  Never to my wife and I, but to visitors.  

The little fuckers think everything is their domain, and everyone who enters is a threat.  They're basically Mac in Always Sunny.  What we figured out with Frank is that any time someone new comes into the house, we hand them one of his balls (the fucker will play fetch every waking minute if you let him), they play a couple of rounds of fetch, and then they're in Frank's good graces.

He's still scared of little kids though.  Trying to figure that one out yet.

Yeah, Dougal thinks the entire neighborhood is his, and will often walk himself around the 'hood.  Heading up there today.  Gonna start walking with my Dougal stick so I can whack him if he gets too close.  

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We just love big, fluffy dogs.  And we live in a great place for them.  They definitely have their downsides, though.

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, Dougal thinks the entire neighborhood is his, and will often walk himself around the 'hood.  Heading up there today.  Gonna start walking with my Dougal stick so I can whack him if he gets too close.  

We just love big, fluffy dogs.  And we live in a great place for them.  They definitely have their downsides, though.

I can't imagine just letting my dog roam the neighborhood.  Even if he wasn't a little asshole.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I can't imagine just letting my dog roam the neighborhood.  Even if he wasn't a little asshole.

Yeah, I can't either, but mountain people are different.  We've got mountain lions in the neighborhood (one got a neighbor's dog this time last year) and we've got bears (not this time of year, though).  We also have moose, that fucking hate dogs and try to stomp them to death (another neighbor's dog got got by a moose last summer).  Even though I have a big dog, and a fence on part of my property, I do not let Bruce stay outside by himself when it's dusk or dark.

• Hook 'Em 2

Give dogs attention and direction and you’ll be their alpha.  The bond is primal and the alliance is for life.  They want you to lead and love them.  

My wife can spend five minutes with any dog and that dog will alpha her. We can leave and your dog will howl for her.

I can spend five minutes with a dog and somehow end up lower in the pack and do their bidding to bring them treats.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There's a JRT in our neighborhood named Dave.   He's super nice to dogs and people and his owner walks him without a leash because he behaves incredibly well.    But when he sees a squirrel he gets this almost glazed over look in his eye and just stares at it.   You know he wants to go after it but he's been trained to leave them alone.   But he eyeballs them something fierce.  

Moving from the city to Canyon Lake has been, ahem, quite a culture shock for my Shar Pei of Death & Mayem.

She’s really having to work overtime to recalibrate her security patrol algorithm…

F8F55761-E179-49C7-BAF1-ACAB6DE18702.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
I’m irrationally proud of the symmetry I caught in this photo. Could have “Soon” meme potential.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Luna is my first big dog. Never had anything over 40 pounds before her.

One thing I've learned is that well trained big dogs always get the blame while shit fuck poorly trained little dogs get away with murder.

This idiots little dog snapped at then tried to hump luna. Luna did not approve. She had that piece of shit on its back giving it a face full of teeth in half a second.

Shit dog owner freaks out. 

Uh your dog is fine and just got more training than you ever gave it. Bet the fucker never does that again.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/why-your-dog-might-think-you-rsquo-re-a-bonehead/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1671205798