Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-wednesday-july-18th/

Hide contents

2019 4-STAR LB RIAN DAVIS | COMMITMENT TIMELINE
– Super K

2019 Texas LB target, Rian Davis (Apopka, FL), thought he might be ready to announce a commitment this summer. Davis has already taken official visits to Texas, Alabama and Louisville.

Earlier this week, he let me know that he has decided to go ahead and wait until the season to make an announcement. I’d expect something around the third game of the season.

You’ll recall Davis used to live in the state of TX and has been on campus multiple times. We’ll do some digging to see how high the list Texas is but based on the current information, we suspect they’re up there.

Davis is in Houston for the summer staying with family. However, he will be heading back to Florida on the 24th which is a few days before the Texas will host a number of recruits (July 27th). As such, he says he won’t be able to squeeze in a last minute visit.

MARCUS WASHINGTON ANNOUNCES COMMITMENT DATE
– Super K

It appears Marcus Washington has once again reset his commitment date back to this summer.

As Will recently noted, we do not anticipate Washington making it to campus before August 7th. He is scheduled to take his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

We are working to confirm with Marcus if that visit will happen irrespective of his August 7th decision.

Obviously, if he announces on August 7th without having visited Texas, we do not expect his choice to be Texas. If they get him on campus though, call me crazy but I bet they either flip him or make it very very interesting.

***Since this note was originally posted on the donor board I have had a chance to speak with some folks around Washington. I hope to have a full update up later in the week but I will simply say that, I’d be a bit surprised if Washington sticks with this newly announced commitment timeline.

Do we only have one spot between Washington, Higgins, and Wright? I assume we would take Tongue and McCoy as athletes.

30 minutes ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, ckhorn said:
To much aggie opinions posted on this thread.
As Super Bill Bradley once said. "It don't make a shit"

And both aggy and froggy are ignoring the fact Jamison wanted to go both ways from the very beginning. It was discussed even when he was uncommitted...

That's the same discussion I had with your mom. I was cool with her going both ways from the very beginning.

Edited by UDontKnow

Eric Nahlin: Wednesday Recruiting Notes and Thoughts

While going over the list of priority targets for this cycle, it should be clear the staff will have to cast a wider net at certain positions. I'll go over that in a post tomorrow, but for now, just feel confident the staff is going to land a lot of players who aren't currently on the radar.

That isn't to say the staff won't land a number of the current primary targets, they will. It does, however, underscore the patient approach the staff has adopted for this cycle; they just aren't targeting that many players at this time.

Two players pinging the outer rings of the radar are running backs Deondrick Glass and Derrian Brown.

RUNNING BACK RECRUITING

To this point almost all of the attention has gone to Noah Cain, with his teammate at IMG, Trey Sanders, receiving some as well, especially recently.

Texas is in a three-way race with Georgia and LSU.

With Louisiana running back John Emery looking to follow his girlfriend on to Mississippi State, LSU's bad luck is shared by Texas. Ed Orgeron and his staff will necessarily target Noah Cain even harder than it would otherwise. LSU has a commitment from Tyrion Davis but the Bayou Bengals are in a two running back class. Cain of course is originally from Baton Rouge.

Georgia is of course an unlikely thorn in UT's side this cycle. If Texas misses out on four priority targets to UGA, that thorn is more like the dagger that found its way into Maximus from Commodus. Georgia may have the upper-hand as they're on the type of roll Hugh Freeze would have had if Ole Miss won big.

Sanders is figured for Alabama and anyone having optimism in UT landing him is being seduced by his favorable remarks rather than the reality of the situation.

That brings us to two four-star contingency plans who couldn't be more different.

Glass, from national power, Katy, has been a known since his stellar freshman year. Brown, from Buford, Georgia, is just now coming into his own after being part of a triumvirate last season.

I asked around about both Glass and Brown. Here's what I know:

Glass: Healthy now, but as a Katy runner, who knows how long that will last. Alabama is still recruiting him and he'll visit Tuscaloosa the second week of August. I thought that was pretty interesting. Texas is also still recruiting him obviously. They talk to Drayton every other week or so. I can't wait to watch the week-one showdown between Katy/North Shore.

Brown: He was liking Bama but not much anymore. I'd imagine they backed off but don't know for sure. He is supposed to take an official visit for the Texas/USC game in mid-September, though I'm not sure it's quite set in stone just yet. He's known for being fast but I couldn't find any speed times on him. According to my guy, "he is a low 4.5 type kid and extremely quick." I asked about his personality, would he be a fit in Austin? "Would be a perfect fit." A potential ace up the sleeve for Texas is the commitment of Kenyatta Watson who is working on Brown. Watson will be in attendance for the USC game, so assuming Brown decides to use his official visit for that game, he would have a familiar face to chaperon. This thing has legs.

I'm admittedly not in love with Brown, but I'll wait to see senior film before opining further. Last year he ran for 844 yards on only 94 carries.

Texas will of course continue to recruit Cain and Sanders hard but alternatives are waiting in the wings.

OFFENSIVE LINE CONTINGENCIES

Justin mentioned in the Scoop that Texas is going to take a harder look at two Oklahoma State commits in Katy's Cole Birmingham and Argyle's Preston Wilson.

Texas feels pretty good at offensive tackle with the commitment of Tyler Johnson and its posture with Javonne Shepherd, but when Branson Bragg selected Stanford he threw a stick in the spokes of interior recruiting.

Early returns from Birmingham and Wilson indicate it will be much more difficult to flip either than it was flipping Derek Kerstetter from Mike Gundy. I'm not saying it will be impossible, but they'll need to start recruiting them hard in short order.

Rather than do that, the staff may just elect to push for Dohnavan West from Mission Hills, California. He's a tackle athlete in a guard body and for center or maybe guard, that's just fine. West reminds of two East Texas products -- Lufkin's Erik McCoy and John Tyler's Braylon Jones -- in that he has versatility to play elsewhere despite profiling to center so well.

West is very interested in Texas. A couple telling offers to me are Boise State and Utah, two staffs with high acumen for evaluation.

O-line is another position we'll see a wider net cast.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Deshon Elliot just dumped all over Herman on Twitter (it's on the football board). Come on, dude, keep your dirty laundry off social media...

Starter on a team that lost to KU and twice went 5-7 but has zero accountability and airs dirty laundry on social media... this is the kind of guy who NFL execs LOVE.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Brown: He was liking Bama but not much anymore. I'd imagine they backed off but don't know for sure. He is supposed to take an official visit for the Texas/USC game in mid-September, though I'm not sure it's quite set in stone just yet. He's known for being fast but I couldn't find any speed times on him. According to my guy, "he is a low 4.5 type kid and extremely quick." I asked about his personality, would he be a fit in Austin? "Would be a perfect fit." A potential ace up the sleeve for Texas is the commitment of Kenyatta Watson who is working on Brown. Watson will be in attendance for the USC game, so assuming Brown decides to use his official visit for that game, he would have a familiar face to chaperon. This thing has legs.

I'm admittedly not in love with Brown, but I'll wait to see senior film before opining further. Last year he ran for 844 yards on only 94 carries.

This is kind of dumb. He doesn't know much about Brown but isn't in love with him. Okay.

18 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Starter on a team that lost to KU and twice went 5-7 but has zero accountability and airs dirty laundry on social media... this is the kind of guy who NFL execs LOVE.

NFL execs won’t give two shits as long as he can play. 

19 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Wasn’t missed in the bowl game vs. the premier SEC offense.

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

Yep. DeShon looks immature here but if he becomes a contributor in Baltimore, NFL front offices won't give a hoot.

That said, if he flames out, he just burned a fair number of bridges.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Deshon Elliot just dumped all over Herman on Twitter (it's on the football board). Come on, dude, keep your dirty laundry off social media...

Yup. Dick for airing it on social media. Probably not near as severe as Deshon makes it out to be as well. Likely something around, he should have stayed one more year etc, not necessarily a dig but maybe Elliott is butt hurt about his draft result or something.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Yup. Dick for airing it on social media. Probably not near as severe as Deshon makes it out to be as well. Likely something around, he should have stayed one more year etc, not necessarily a dig but maybe Elliott is butt hurt about his draft result or something.

apparently Anwar said Elliot and the other juniors who declared early were bad mouthed by Herman to NFL Scouts

Just now, Skipper said:

From what we know of Herman I think it's safe to assume he's a pretty big asshole if you don't buy in.   I don't see him being shy about his expectations with recruits so really don't see this being an issue.

I think this is definitely true. I think Herman has also adjusted his approach somewhat since then, but of course Elliott left the program before he saw that change materialize.

Newsflash to Malik, DeShon, Connor, Holton, and Warren: it's not badmouthing if Herman, Orlando, McKnight or any other member of the staff tells the NFL that you weren't ready mentally or physically for the NFL. You weren't. There wasn't a single one of them that couldn't have helped himself with another season. 

Dicko is the exception and I'd bet "behind closed doors" the Texas staff didn't "talk shit" about them. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Newsflash to Malik, DeShon, Connor, Holton, and Warren: it's not badmouthing if Herman, Orlando, McKnight or any other member of the staff tells the NFL that you weren't ready mentally or physically for the NFL. You weren't. There wasn't a single one of them that couldn't have helped himself with another season. 

Dicko is the exception and I'd bet "behind closed doors" the Texas staff didn't "talk shit" about them. 

So true. Perhaps UT got a stigma in the NFL because Mack told NFL teams that all our players were something they weren't.

I only have a problem with Herman if he was being petty or went out of his way to sabotage someone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

From what we know of Herman I think it's safe to assume he's a pretty big asshole if you don't buy in.   I don't see him being shy about his expectations with recruits so really don't see this being an issue.

This. Breckyn basically said as much at media day. If you don't buy in, you probably are gonna hate the guy. You could see some players go through that very openly last season and even this spring (Omenihu, Nelson) but they seemed to eventually buy in finally. That's why having team leaders like Breckyn is so damn important. We unloaded some of the final Charlie soft guys and I think we improve without them on our team. 

• Like 2

This is important. Herman owes it to future Texas draft prospects not to oversell current draft prospects.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Bringing this back to prospects for a second - TFB is interestingly optimistic on Marcus Washington. They don't think he was completely wowed on his Ohio State OV, and that there is a good chance he pushes his decision back and gives Texas an official visit.

Speaking of tOSU WRs: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/07/94446/zach-smith-arrested-for-criminal-trespassing-set-to-appear-in-court-wednesday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Yep, but his actions kinda say he's going to flame out, and now has burned every bridge at Texas at the same time. Maybe Elliott and Herman will have a Evans/Barnes moment years later, but I doubt it.

The term "bad mouth" is subjective. Even Hager came around and apologized to Herman for not fully buying in last year. My guess is that Tom Herman might have been honest with NFL scouts regarding work ethic, etc. and DeShon took Herman's assessment as "bad mouthing." Also, DeShon may or may not have been interested in "playing school."

51 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

apparently Anwar said Elliot and the other juniors who declared early were bad mouthed by Herman to NFL Scouts

It sounds bad at first blush, but remember that Herman has to think of the future. If he heaps undue praise on Elliott/Williams/Dickson/etc. and they underperform, NFL scouts will take note and trust Texas kids less. This hurts the prospects of his players in future classes. Herman has to honestly describe his kids' shortcomings to gain the trust of NFL teams.

Just now, satyanash said:

It sounds bad at first blush, but remember that Herman has to think of the future. If he heaps undue praise on Elliott/Williams/Dickson/etc. and they underperform, NFL scouts will take note and trust Texas kids less. This hurts the prospects of his players in future classes. Herman has to honestly describe his kids' shortcomings to gain the trust of NFL teams.

He also has to deal with the actual repercussions of his chosen words from everyone else besides the scouts.

Yea let's act like Herman isn't sometimes an asshole and attack the sources. Based on Herman's past Mack-like tendencies to act like an insecure woman, there may be an ounce of truth in this. Yea dirty laundry shouldn't have been aired but I'm sure the guys who left early didn't appreciate being bad mouthed. Truth is prob somewhere in the middle.

In any case it's out there now and will be used against this staff.

If this were Jimbo we'd be having a field day.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Yea let's act like Herman isn't sometimes an asshole and attack the sources. Based on Herman's past Mack-like tendencies to act like an insecure woman, there may be an ounce of truth in this. Yea dirty laundry shouldn't have been aired but I'm sure the guys who left early didn't appreciate being bad mouthed. Truth is prob somewhere in the middle.

In any case it's out there now and will be used against this staff.

If this were Jimbo we'd be having a field day.  

This is where I'm at. I think DeShon is being incredibly dumb and short-sighted about it, but let's not pretend that there were some attitude and cultural adjustments required not only on the players' part but the coaches', particularly certain position coaches who saw their jobs reduced or roles reassigned.

Win and this all more or less goes away.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Fucking Jimbo told teams not to draft EJ Manuel, didn't hurt him none

Jimbo won games at FSU (until his abortion of a final season). Likewise, if Herman starts winning this season, nobody will remember this crap, especially as the program becomes increasingly saturated with "his" players.